[Today at 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: ‘I Can’t Breathe’: 4 Minneapolis Officers Fired After Black Man Dies in Custody  (Read 34035 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Are not Union contracts usually "negotiated" with the state, county or city? Either way the taxpayer is paying directly or indirectly. Did not some Governors just state that Police and Firefighters would be laid off without Federal dollars due to "lost" taxes.

Yes, but it would be union dues that would pay for any union-backed attorneys.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Minneapolis and St. Paul have an 8pm curfew tonight and tomorrow night.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheoKeith/status/1266476548321882114?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Rumors are that other places in the state may follow.

MU82

• All American
I know the city of Minneapolis had to arrest the one officer that was doing the kneeling to show that they're doing something about this, but the officer is going to post bail and won't spend any time in jail. He will be free to go home and sleep in his own bed and will likely have a trial 6-12 months from now in either a suburb of Minneapolis or some rural part of Minnesota because the defense will claim he can't get a fair trial in the cities.

Also, he wasn't called a THUG by the leader of our country. That term was reserved for the black folks.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
I hope this doesn’t derail her.  She’s my favorite for JB’s VP and since I believe he cannot make it through four years due to his mental health, she would become the President.  She is reasoned, moderate, not crazy on either side.

the "mental health" thing is BS and pure gaslighting. Biden has a stutter, he always has, that's what causes him to lose his place talking. He does not have declining mental health. Now, the current President, is it mental decline or his documented Adderall addiction?

I'm not a fan of Amy K. She doesn't do much for me and her failures as a prosecutor in MSP pretty much disqualify her after this week.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Can you just not type stuff like this?  It adds nothing to the discussion.

It would be nice, but...

In times of unrest, it is a president’s job to soothe and calm the nation. Instead he throws fire on the situation. And he does it strictly to try to divide and harm the nation.

Now, I could type a short reasoned essay explaining what he is doing and why it is so harmful. I don’t think he has earned the benefit of the doubt for anyone to do that. So, I express those feelings in a short, crass, and most importantly, blunt statement.

tower912

• All American
If the rumor is true that Amy failed to prosecute the offending officer years ago for a different offense, she will not be the VP.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
One of my closest friends of a decade plus is African American, and he’s been really stressed about this all, as you can imagine. He was the catalyst of one of my first stark encounters of different treatments. Long story short, he, myself, and another of his college friends (also AA) were walking in Ravenswood (where he grew up) late on week night after going to a party. CPD squad car pulled up, stopped us, and rather insistently pulled them aside for questioning about some “complaint”.  Both of them were well dressed, polite and cooperative, and still patted down against the car. One officer was pretty insistent on me continuing on my way and aggressively shot down any questions I had. His partner was more reasonable but if he was of the same mind, I definitely would have been run off to let them do what they wanted to do. It was blatant unnecessary profiling and normally I have a quite high view of CPD.

Regardless, I’m quite open to his rational viewpoints of this sort of thing as it’s his personal struggle. Masters degree, lives in a beautiful high rise in Gold Coast with his fiancée, does very well financially, and he still has a perpetual fear that these things could happen to him. But where we agreed is the reaction to George Floyd had been remarkable consistent. Not that my Twitter feed is filled with Blue Lives Matter sort of presences, but it has enough diverse vantage points where I normally see the most extreme reactions retweeted with a “WTF” sort of response. There was far less here than I’ve seen with many other situations like this. It was almost uniformly “this is horrible, indefensible, etc...”. Which is great.

My wife's friend said after the Amaud Abury news he had "the talk" with his 13 year old. No, not that one, but the "you have to be extra careful of the police" talk. Mixed race kid in suburban St. Louis. Another of her friends, a former cop himself, runs with a pistol on him because he lives in a white area and has received threatening looks and comments from people. Plenty of her minority friends have shared similar experiences (she's Asian so in addition to being told "go back to where you came from" is also called a "model minority"). As a white guy born into relative privilege (dad a doctor, mom a nurse), like many of us who had the honor of going to MU, we never experienced this stuff cannot fully understand. We can empathize and listen, but that isn't our life experience. I grew up in an all-white Midwestern town. The only time I was really exposed to African-Americans was a conference road game we had every year to the only minority school we played and our coaches put the fear of God in us to not go anywhere with less than two others with us. We've likely never been followed in a store. We've probably never had the doors locked on us to keep us from entering a store. We've most likely never been roughed up by the police for something as minor as parking in a handicapped spot. It's doubtful any of us have been pulled over, either driving or stopped while on foot, for no reason.

Should we be surprised by what is happening? Absolutely not. White supremacists have been infiltrating the police and military for over a decade. The FBI called attention to it and nothing was done. The police protect one another. Joe Biden nailed it today: a majority of police are good people but they have to root out the bad cops. In MSP alone, a black man who was pulled over and trying to follow the officer's orders was murdered....and the officer exonerated. Meanwhile, a minority officer shot a white woman running towards him and he got 25 years. Why wouldn't the minority population of MSP be pushed to the breaking point? Of course, the rioting only happened after peaceful protests were turned violent by the use of force by the police. Meanwhile, armed whites who stormed Capitol buildings demanding hair cuts were allowed to do whatever they wanted. What was the difference...?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 05:12:04 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
If the rumor is true that Amy failed to prosecute the offending officer years ago for a different offense, she will not be the VP.

According to the prosecutor’s office, AK was not involved in that decision. The event occurred in October 2006, and she essentially had her foot out the door to the Senate by the time the decision was made.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/29/us/politics/klobuchar-minneapolis-george-floyd.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

Still, the timing of this event hurts her chances because it feeds into the narrative of her as being too easy on police officers.

Hards Alumni

• All American
The US Supreme Court decided a case on this very issue in 2013. A murder suspect's refusal to answer police questions pre-arrest was used against him by prosecutors. The court upheld the conviction.
Maybe the justices are watching too much TV.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12pdf/12-246_7l48.pdf

5-4 decision

https://www.lexisnexis.com/community/casebrief/p/casebrief-salinas-v-texas
Conclusion:

The Supreme Court of the United States affirmed the judgment of the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals. The Court found that Genovevo's situation was outside the scope of Miranda because he agreed to accompany the officers to the station and was free to leave at any time during the interview. The privilege against self-incrimination generally was not self-executing and a witness who desired its protection had to claim it. According to the Court, a witness did not invoke the privilege by simply standing mute. In this regard, Genovevo was required to assert the privilege in order to benefit from it. Thus, Genovevo's Fifth Amendment claim failed because he did not expressly invoke the privilege against self-incrimination in response to the officer's question. The Court rejected Genovevo's argument that the invocation requirement did not apply where a witness was silent in the face of official suspicions.

So he didn't say "I'm invoking my 5th amendment rights".  The problem is they used his reaction to being asked a question.  While he was silent, he didn't say he wanted a lawyer (rookie mistake), and he allowed the interview to continue.  The suspect gave the police his shotgun for testing (willingly) and then days later another man testified that the suspect confessed to the killings.  I'm not intimately familiar with the case, but did the conviction hang on this reaction?  Also, full disclosure, IANAL, but I wasted some money on school.

So I guess, what you said isn't wrong.  Good info to know that everyone from then on has to invoke the 5th aloud.  I, obviously, agree with the dissent in this opinion... really dangerous precedent.

shoothoops

• All American

In my opinion, I don't think it matters as I have thought from the beginning JB's VP pick would be a black female. I still would be very surprised if he picked anyone but that.

tower912

• All American
Confirming with my union... The officer is responsible for the hiring and payment of the attorney related to the criminal charges.   Not the union.

The union is responsible for the grievance arbitration if any kind of wrongful dismissal case is filed by the union.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WarriorDad

• All American
the "mental health" thing is BS and pure gaslighting. Biden has a stutter, he always has, that's what causes him to lose his place talking. He does not have declining mental health. Now, the current President, is it mental decline or his documented Adderall addiction?

I'm not a fan of Amy K. She doesn't do much for me and her failures as a prosecutor in MSP pretty much disqualify her after this week.

Believe what you will.  I am a fan of Joe Biden, but his cognitive skills right now are impaired.  His best bet is to stay at home and say nothing.  Let the idiot opponent do all the campaigning for you.  Biden’s problem right now is when he actually speaks.  Some of the virtual town halls he is in are so bad because he is not all there.  I have seen dementia and Alzheimer’s up close and personal in far too many loved ones.  His characteristics come across similarly to me.  It’s not a stutter.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
It would be nice, but...

In times of unrest, it is a president’s job to soothe and calm the nation. Instead he throws fire on the situation. And he does it strictly to try to divide and harm the nation.

Now, I could type a short reasoned essay explaining what he is doing and why it is so harmful. I don’t think he has earned the benefit of the doubt for anyone to do that. So, I express those feelings in a short, crass, and most importantly, blunt statement.

If he did (and he has in the past) he is unloaded on anyway.  No different than when the right unloaded on Obama all the time. 

There is an ever growing segment on both sides that cannot do anything but hold disdain for the other.  They are everywhere and here at Scoop is no exception.
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
More people willing to take others' lives, and with the easy capacity to do so, is exactly what we need right now.

For a defensive position, yes it is.  The police cannot be everywhere as proven the last few days.  At some point every man has to protect his family.  That is what I was taught and raised with.  I’m not concealing and carrying, they are at home and hopefully never to be used.  But if they are needed, I will not hesitate as a deterrent first or as a powerful defense tool if it comes to it. 
— Plato

muwarrior69

• All American
Believe what you will.  I am a fan of Joe Biden, but his cognitive skills right now are impaired.  His best bet is to stay at home and say nothing.  Let the idiot opponent do all the campaigning for you.  Biden’s problem right now is when he actually speaks.  Some of the virtual town halls he is in are so bad because he is not all there.  I have seen dementia and Alzheimer’s up close and personal in far too many loved ones.  His characteristics come across similarly to me.  It’s not a stutter.

Yes, reminds me of Ronald Reagen his final year and a half as President.

muwarrior69

• All American
Confirming with my union... The officer is responsible for the hiring and payment of the attorney related to the criminal charges.   Not the union.

The union is responsible for the grievance arbitration if any kind of wrongful dismissal case is filed by the union.

Glad to hear it, thanks.

Pakuni

• All American
For a defensive position, yes it is.  The police cannot be everywhere as proven the last few days.  At some point every man has to protect his family.  That is what I was taught and raised with.  I’m not concealing and carrying, they are at home and hopefully never to be used.  But if they are needed, I will not hesitate as a deterrent first or as a powerful defense tool if it comes to it.

Are you a drug lord? What world do you live in where you need to on alert for people out to murder your family?

wadesworld

• All American
Buy ammo.  Told you all that last month.  Friends that are completely anti gun rights now have come around.  I believe in strong restrictions and background checks and it is times like these where having a few weapons safely stored in the home makes us sleep better.

In a thread about a murdered, unarmed black man, this is your contribution.  Honestly, you're a douche.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU11W

• Walk-On

Out of curiosity, can you describe a situation where you used your guns to defend your family at your home?

My household did not have any guns growing up and I can’t think of one occasion where my veteran father would’ve needed a gun to protect us in our own home.

wadesworld

• All American
Chicos.  Please start your own thread on the poor quality of the democratic presidential candidate (who you will vote for because you've never voted for anything but blue) and the unfairness of the American people to the current president.  I'm not sure how you manage to take every thread and derail it.  But here we are again.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Also, he wasn't called a THUG by the leader of our country. That term was reserved for the black folks.
Same term Obama said in 2015 about Baltimore.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American

What-about

bananahammock

• Starter
What-about
“Criminals and thugs” referring to Baltimore riots.

wadesworld

• All American

“Criminals and thugs” referring to Baltimore riots.

Did he also call Neo-Nazis very good people?

Galway Eagle

• All American
Did he also call Neo-Nazis very good people?

I'm as anti orange fat guys as anyone but isn't this a bit of "what about ism"?

For the record I do agree the difference is equity Obama built up with race relations vs Trump having zero equity in that department so the same statement has very different connotation. But the individuals you quoted won't think of it that way.
Maigh Eo for Sam