[Today at 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: ‘I Can’t Breathe’: 4 Minneapolis Officers Fired After Black Man Dies in Custody  (Read 34035 times)

MU82

• All American
From the NYT:

U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar, a vice presidential candidate, has found herself back in the spotlight this week, and not for a reason she would have hoped for.

When she was the Hennepin County attorney, Ms. Klobuchar declined to prosecute a number of Minneapolis police officers accused of using unnecessary force.

This week, one of those officers, Derek Chauvin, knelt on the neck of a black man, George Floyd, who later died. The city has erupted in protests, and Mr. Chauvin has been fired.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
Re: AutoZone...

https://twitter.com/javimorillo/status/1266142878889316353?s=19

Hmm.. that sure looks like a strange situation for a white guy to start the damage.

The plot thickens, although the source is questionable:

https://twitter.com/GypsyEyedBeauty/status/1266164431584714753?s=19

If he did do it, some serious issues for him.

Saint Paul PD saying it wasn’t him.

https://heavy.com/news/2020/05/jacob-pederson-auto-zone-cop-not-umbrella-man/

If the article is true, he should be able to sue these people saying he was the man that started this.  He is not a public figure and people will believe he did it no matter what the police say.  H
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
Buy ammo.  Told you all that last month.  Friends that are completely anti gun rights now have come around.  I believe in strong restrictions and background checks and it is times like these where having a few weapons safely stored in the home makes us sleep better.
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
From the NYT:

U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar, a vice presidential candidate, has found herself back in the spotlight this week, and not for a reason she would have hoped for.

When she was the Hennepin County attorney, Ms. Klobuchar declined to prosecute a number of Minneapolis police officers accused of using unnecessary force.

This week, one of those officers, Derek Chauvin, knelt on the neck of a black man, George Floyd, who later died. The city has erupted in protests, and Mr. Chauvin has been fired.

I hope this doesn’t derail her.  She’s my favorite for JB’s VP and since I believe he cannot make it through four years due to his mental health, she would become the President.  She is reasoned, moderate, not crazy on either side. 
— Plato

Hards Alumni

• All American
If he did do it, some serious issues for him.

Saint Paul PD saying it wasn’t him.

https://heavy.com/news/2020/05/jacob-pederson-auto-zone-cop-not-umbrella-man/

If the article is true, he should be able to sue these people saying he was the man that started this.  He is not a public figure and people will believe he did it no matter what the police say.  H

Well, I mean, the SPPD has a dog in this game.. so take their denial with a huge grain of salt.  I'll believe them when they can offer some shred of evidence other than, "he was working with other officers who can vouch that he was there". 

But I think doxxing this dude internationally is awful as well.  He has already been tried in the court of opinion and has been found guilty by mob justice.

Pakuni

• All American
Miranda rights?  That's hilarious.  Those cops were told by their union bosses the SECOND that video was released to not say a damn thing to anyone about what happened.  The cops knew that before they got arrested as well.   They were fired from the force, but they're still members of the union.

You don't have the right to remain silent when you're not under custodial arrest. Therefore, pre-arrest, a person's silence/refusal to answer questions can be used against them in a court of law.
So, yeah, these guys may have been told to clam up, but without arrest, their silence can be used against them.

Pakuni

• All American
Buy ammo.  Told you all that last month.  Friends that are completely anti gun rights now have come around.  I believe in strong restrictions and background checks and it is times like these where having a few weapons safely stored in the home makes us sleep better.

More people willing to take others' lives, and with the easy capacity to do so, is exactly what we need right now.

WarriorDad

• All American
The former head of the NAACP in St Paul is not holding back. Hard to argue with her on this.

https://heavy.com/news/2020/05/dianne-binns-video-st-paul-naacp/

— Plato

shoothoops

• All American
It is being reported that 3rd degree murder charges for the first officer as well as manslaughter thus far. In Minnesota, 3rd degree murder has a max sentence of 25 years and it would seem may be easier for conviction than 2nd degree murder which has a max sentence there of 40 years. There also may be additional charges for the first officer.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.

I think every newborn should be issued an AK-47 at birth. That would reduce the cost of background checks because no newborn has a criminal record.

Hards Alumni

• All American
You don't have the right to remain silent when you're not under custodial arrest. Therefore, pre-arrest, a person's silence/refusal to answer questions can be used against them in a court of law.
So, yeah, these guys may have been told to clam up, but without arrest, their silence can be used against them.

Anything anyone says can be used against them at any time in a court of law.  This is not Law and Order or NCIS.  You cannot use silence against a person.  I'd love to see that line of questioning. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
It is being reported that 3rd degree murder charges for the first officer as well as manslaughter thus far. In Minnesota, 3rd degree murder has a max sentence of 25 years and it would seem may be easier for conviction than 2nd degree murder which has a max sentence there of 40 years. There also may be additional charges for the first officer.

Should have arrested all four.  They were all there and participated and could have stopped it.  They all have training for these situations.  Maybe they don't all get charged the same, but they're all accessories.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
I've made it to 42 years of age without ever firing a gun.  I'm not starting now.

However, I have increased my Kung Fu movie watching considerably.  Trying times, indeed.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Doesn't the union usually provide the attorneys for cops who are criminally charged?

I believe you are right that the union will rep them.
But I like to throw handfuls...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Same defense lawyer as the one that got the cop who shot Philandro Castile acquitted.

What a way to make a living.  Dedending dirty cops.

(For the record, having a legal defense, either hired or public defender, is one of the most fundamental tenets of this country.)

muwarrior69

• All American
Doesn't the union usually provide the attorneys for cops who are criminally charged?

Are not Union contracts usually "negotiated" with the state, county or city? Either way the taxpayer is paying directly or indirectly. Did not some Governors just state that Police and Firefighters would be laid off without Federal dollars due to "lost" taxes.

muwarrior69

• All American
Same defense lawyer as the one that got the cop who shot Philandro Castile acquitted.

What a way to make a living.  Dedending dirty cops.

(For the record, having a legal defense, either hired or public defender, is one of the most fundamental tenets of this country.)

So not a public defender but some high priced attorney he chose whose retainer the Union (ie the taxpayer) will be paying.

shoothoops

• All American
Should have arrested all four.  They were all there and participated and could have stopped it.  They all have training for these situations.  Maybe they don't all get charged the same, but they're all accessories.

I would be surprised if the other 3 were not charged. And I believe the first officer may face additional charges. It was very important to at the very least get some charges started. But I'd be very surprised if charges were complete at this time.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 02:57:17 PM by shoothoops »

tower912

• All American
I would be surprised if the union pays for legal representation of fired officers.   If the union chooses to argue wrongful termination, the union will pay that lawyer.

Yes, if there is not federal money to the states, it is likely that there will be layoffs of public safety officers.   The state and local revenues have obviously been decimated along with everything else.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 03:02:18 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
Buy ammo.

I would take your advice if I could buy ALL the ammo out there. That way, nobody else would have any. But I can't, so I turn it over to my go-to expert on this subject ...

Good evening, everybody. This here is Archie Bunker of 704 Hauser Street, veteran of the big war, speaking on behalf of guns for everybody. Now, question: What was the first thing that the Communists done when they took over Russia? Answer: gun control. And there's a lot of people in this country wanna do the same thing to us here in a kind of conspiracy, see. You take your big international bankers, they want to - whaddya call - masticate the people of this here nation like puppets on the wing, and then when they get their guns, turn us over to the Commies.

Now I want to talk about another thing that's on everybody's minds today, and that's your stick-ups and your skyjackings, and which, if that were up to me, I could end the skyjackings tomorrow.

All you gotta do is arm all your passengers. He ain't got no more moral superiority there, and he ain't gonna dare to pull out no rod. And then your airlines, they wouldn't have to search the passengers on the ground no more, they just pass out the pistols at the beginning of the trip, and they just pick them up at the end! Case closed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
You don't have the right to remain silent when you're not under custodial arrest.

I don't think this is correct.   You have the right to remain silent, always.

That's why it's called a "Miranda Warning" .. you are being reminded of your rights .. it's not a specific moment when rights are granted.

It's a guarantee those cops, all cops, know exactly what their rights are,  so a theory that they will speak more freely before being arrested is false.

Hards Alumni

• All American
I don't think this is correct.   You have the right to remain silent, always.

That's why it's called a "Miranda Warning" .. you are being reminded of your rights .. it's not a specific moment when rights are granted.

It's a guarantee those cops, all cops, know exactly what their rights are,  so a theory that they will speak more freely before being arrested is false.

You said it better. :)

Warriors4ever

• All American
Pretty sure the Chicago FOP paid the legal bills for Jason Van Dyke in the Laquan MacDonald case, and they not only paid the bills for Jon Burge but will adamantly defend him to this day.
Please don’t bash public defenders.
Any defense attorney is going to ask for a change of venue. It would border on malpractice not to make that motion.

MU24

• Starter
More people willing to take others' lives, and with the easy capacity to do so, is exactly what we need right now.

Well im certainly not going to trust police to save and come to myself or my loved ones aid if someone comes bashing down my door.

Pakuni

• All American
Anything anyone says can be used against them at any time in a court of law.  This is not Law and Order or NCIS.  You cannot use silence against a person.  I'd love to see that line of questioning.

The US Supreme Court decided a case on this very issue in 2013. A murder suspect's refusal to answer police questions pre-arrest was used against him by prosecutors. The court upheld the conviction.
Maybe the justices are watching too much TV.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12pdf/12-246_7l48.pdf

feedback