[Today at 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[Today at 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[Today at 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Would you take Buzz or Crean back?

Take Crean
15 (13.5%)
Take Buzz
32 (28.8%)
Both
18 (16.2%)
Neither
46 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Author Topic: Would you take Crean or Buzz back?  (Read 16051 times)

DienerTime34

• All American
Would you take Crean or Buzz back?
« on: December 13, 2016, 11:29:20 AM »
If they offered to come back at the end of this year. Or do you think Wojo is on a path to do better than both?

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Would you take Crean or Buzz back?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 11:34:19 AM »
Both coaches are proven and bigger names then wojo. I would have to say yes.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 11:34:20 AM »
Buzz in a heartbeat.  He and the team had personality.  We were different.  I like Wojo and think he is on the right path, eventually, but it is kinda dull and boring.  Doesn't have the quirkiness that seemed to be MUs calling card.  I am sure Wojo is better for the "reputation" and all that, but I like "butcher, baker and candlestick maker" quirkiness from time to time.  :)

Crean, no way.  Seemed slimy, to me anyway.  He certainly is a good coach and is having good  success, and I thank him for elevating our program once again.  But no to Crean.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 11:34:39 AM »
If they offered to come back at the end of this year. Or do you think Wojo is on a path to do better than both?

The answer is no.

The reaction is this thread is evil and must be destroyed.

Besides, Marquette doesn't recruit basketball players with high enough academic credentials to understand Crean's complex schemes.  Better he coach at Wisconsin.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 11:48:58 AM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 11:35:34 AM »
Both coaches are proven and bigger names then wojo. I would have to say yes.

Of course you do.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 11:37:09 AM »
No. Wouldn't even consider it.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 11:41:25 AM »
I'd say no, strictly based on non-basketball reasons.

What about O'Neill?

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 11:43:13 AM »
Crean, yes. Buzz, no.

I say no on Buzz because it became pretty apparent that both parties (Buzz & MU) had very different views on how the program should be run. Yes, things were good early on, but as time passed, those differences came to light. And, not surprisingly, since I really don't think either party truly knew and understood each other when the hire was made. Buzz was here what 9 months before getting the job. Anyway, not to rehash everything, but organizational fit matters.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 11:52:24 AM »
I'd say no to both.

Buzz for a lot of reasons, some of which aren't basketball related.

Crean is no because I think we are in better position where we don't really need his skill set. If Wojo can't coach(my only concern with him) Crean is not the answer to that question.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 11:53:40 AM »
Crean, yes. Buzz, no.

I say no on Buzz because it became pretty apparent that both parties (Buzz & MU) had very different views on how the program should be run. Yes, things were good early on, but as time passed, those differences came to light. And, not surprisingly, since I really don't think either party truly knew and understood each other when the hire was made. Buzz was here what 9 months before getting the job. Anyway, not to rehash everything, but organizational fit matters.

In fairness to Buzz....some of the issue/fault was really on the administration at the time (LW, LP)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 11:54:58 AM »
No.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 12:01:38 PM »

NO
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 12:04:06 PM »
Why not just dig up Al and Rick while you're at it.  And if you think I'm being facetious, I never joke around about audioanimatronics.  Think of it as Country Bear Jamboree without the inbreeding.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 12:04:21 PM »
In fairness to Buzz....some of the issue/fault was really on the administration at the time (LW, LP)

Absolutely, no doubt. There's much blame to go around why things didn't work and those two (LW, Fr. P) are at the top of the list.

But, at the same time, I don't feel that either MU or Buzz really understood what each other was about. And, no matter the administration, over time, it would have caused issues. I'm not surprised that even when Wild came back, fences weren't able to be mended. That's partly on Buzz and his general paranoid, which I have little doubt will cause him issues in the future.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 12:30:29 PM »
No. 

Going back to the ex is good for nostalgia and a night or two of good times, but it never really works out.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2016, 12:44:44 PM »
I'm holding out for Tex Winter.
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 12:50:26 PM »
I'd take Crean back. I don't think we should discard Wojo for him because it'd be another rebuild, but if Wojo left, I'd take Crean. I wouldn't want Buzz back. Under any circumstances.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2016, 01:00:31 PM »
Short answer = Never.  There is a reason one or both parties moved on.

But i gotta believe the real reason to start this is that this thread has got to be driving MUFiNY and Chico's crazy and you are either taunting them or baiting them into creating new user names to occupy the down time before conference games begin.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2016, 01:03:47 PM »
Buzz= that crazy and hot ex you had a ton of fun with. Sure she's still hot and it's tempting to go back but you have to remember she was constantly "just talking" with other guys while her instagram seemed like she never took you seriously.

Cream= That ex you thought you could stay with forever and had honestly made you a better person. But then she started dieting and excersizing more and decided she could trade you in for someone better.

I wouldn't go back to either of those exs and thus wouldn't go back to either of those coaches.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2016, 01:17:27 PM »
No and No.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2016, 01:19:00 PM »
We're headed in the right direction.  RTP.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2016, 01:28:19 PM »
I would take two coaches with equivalent resumes, experience, personality, and style provided they could work with our administration. But not Crean or Buzz specifically. Its not a good luck to go back to a coach who left for another job *cough* Depaul *cough*

But I wouldn't fire Wojo and take a new coach. That would set the rebuild back another few years. We are on the right track.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 01:44:54 PM »
In Tom Crean's mind, Indiana > Marquette.

In Buzz Williams' mind, Just About Anywhere Else > Marquette.

The question "Would you take Crean or Buzz back?" calls for accepting a concept even more outrageous than time travel. It requires the existence of an alternative reality  — one where Marquette is actually a more desirable head coaching job than Indiana (home to 5 national championships). Or where Buzz Williams puts things like basketball priority and resources first.

I reject the question. You might as well ask "Would you raise Al McGuire from the dead to rejoin Marquette as head coach of the basketball program?"
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

BlindboyPatSmith

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2016, 01:50:17 PM »
In Tom Crean's mind, Indiana > Marquette.

In Buzz Williams' mind, Just About Anywhere Else > Marquette.

The question "Would you take Crean or Buzz back?" calls for accepting a concept even more outrageous than time travel. It requires the existence of an alternative reality  — one where Marquette is actually a more desirable head coaching job than Indiana (home to 5 national championships). Or where Buzz Williams puts things like basketball priority and resources first.

I reject the question. You might as well ask "Would you raise Al McGuire from the dead to rejoin Marquette as head coach of the basketball program?"

Can that be done???  As to the original question....ahhhhh NO !!!

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2016, 01:58:08 PM »
How about Coach Tom Williams

--Recruits really good high school players like Wade, Diener, Novak and the Three Amigos while finding diamonds in the rough JUCOs like Jimmy Butler and Jae Crowder.
--Is able to have fun on court and add some swagger, but can smooze millions out of the alumni for important projects.
--Has great hoops and in-game coaching IQ but doesn't drink lots of sweet tea.

feedback