'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo is a heck of coach......  (Read 16090 times)

mug644

• All American
Re: Wojo is a heck of coach......
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 07:50:32 AM »
I'm certainly not as ready to give up on Wojo as some posters seem to be, but I've been wondering where to put out this observation: each time I see that Fox is about to "go into the MU huddle" I cringe a little bit. Wojo seems so--I can't really put a word on it--unconvincing. I've not really heard much technical coaching, as in setting up a play or giving specific instructions. Nor is there much inspiration in his words and tone, like a leader or captain. What I see and hear is repetition. He seems to grab onto to one phrase ("pass the ball") and repeat it 3 or 4 times.

Now, I realize that what Fox shows is just a small slice of his on the sideline coaching, but it just doesn't leave me impressed.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 07:53:58 AM »
Step away from the ledge...

Screw that. Jump!

Please.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

KC_Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 07:59:51 AM »
I agree with mug644.  His speeches in the huddles are underwhelming.  I don't see the value in yelling "we've got to fight" over and over again.  Or "we're not playing smart."  How about some X's & O's?  Actual strategy.  Never thought I'd say this: I miss Buzz.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 08:08:53 AM »
I'm certainly not as ready to give up on Wojo as some posters seem to be, but I've been wondering where to put out this observation: each time I see that Fox is about to "go into the MU huddle" I cringe a little bit. Wojo seems so--I can't really put a word on it--unconvincing. I've not really heard much technical coaching, as in setting up a play or giving specific instructions. Nor is there much inspiration in his words and tone, like a leader or captain. What I see and hear is repetition. He seems to grab onto to one phrase ("pass the ball") and repeat it 3 or 4 times.

Now, I realize that what Fox shows is just a small slice of his on the sideline coaching, but it just doesn't leave me impressed.

+1

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 08:12:05 AM »

J/w. Do both teams usually do this on FS1? For some reason I only remember Marquette doing them.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2016, 08:22:03 AM »
J/w. Do both teams usually do this on FS1? For some reason I only remember Marquette doing them.

Not sure what "J/w" means. But, I've seen both teams huddles at least once each game. I think I read somewhere that allowing it is part of the TV contract between Fox and the Big East.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2016, 08:22:56 AM »

I've noticed the same and was wondering if some threw a mega mix together... or mixed and matched... would we be able to tell who the opponent is?  "Play strong, play smart, and We have to fight" is not coaching.  It's obvious advice.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2016, 08:25:57 AM »
I agree with mug644.  His speeches in the huddles are underwhelming.  I don't see the value in yelling "we've got to fight" over and over again.  Or "we're not playing smart."  How about some X's & O's?  Actual strategy.  Never thought I'd say this: I miss Buzz.

I was thinking this too.  Lots of yelling very general cliches.  And yes, I miss Buzz right now and anyone who doesn't is kidding themselves.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2016, 08:26:02 AM »
Not sure what "J/w" means. But, I've seen both teams huddles at least once each game. I think I read somewhere that allowing it is part of the TV contract between Fox and the Big East.

Thanks I appreciate it. I probably just zone out the other coaches, so that makes sense. & sorry for the confusion. J/w - just wondering.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 08:34:37 AM »
Y'all do know that Fox purposefully doesn't show any of the xs and os talk in the huddle right?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2016, 08:35:00 AM »

which version...the one that crapped the bed the last year he was here and mailed it in?  Or a different version?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2016, 08:39:04 AM »
Y'all do know that Fox purposefully doesn't show any of the xs and os talk in the huddle right?

BUT HE JUST YELLS CLICHES.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2016, 08:44:35 AM »
I'm not at the point where I think Wojo should be fired, although I wouldn't really care if he is.  I hated the unnecessary extension, whether a token gesture or not.

His cupboard was empty when he arrived, and he has shown the ability to recruit one good class, but he hasn't shown much as a game coach or someone who has improved players (granted some haven't had enough time here to actually demonstrate that). 

WAIT - he also took away shorts and tank tops once, so he is a motivational genius - aside from that one game, that essentially was useless (despite all the posts about how clearly it worked).

I don't think it is much more than a coin flip whether Wojo, or off-season candidate X, is better for the program long-term.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:47:15 AM by Marquette_g »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2016, 08:47:44 AM »
This place is awesome.  Determining how good of a coach we have based on 5 second segments each games that go "inside the huddle."

There are way too many things wrong with this to even bother addressing further.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

KC_Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2016, 08:49:33 AM »
The Buzz that crapped the bed still posted a .500 record in conference.  I'd take that right about now.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2016, 08:52:10 AM »

As implied in my initial post about the huddles, I do presume that that is the case. But what we do see is just shallow, and I'm not sure how it directs or motivates the players. Maybe I'm wrong about how it impacts the players, maybe my expectations are unrealistic and/or maybe the "in the huddle" idea is lacking.

I can't and won't use what we see in the huddle as a means of judging Wojo; it was simply an observation.

Further, I'm not ready to reminisce about Buzz and compare Wojo to Buzz.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2016, 08:52:24 AM »
BUT HE JUST YELLS CLICHES.

What do you think coaching is? Lol. Letiao was doing the same thing
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2016, 08:52:58 AM »
I'm not on the ledge with Wojo yet.  We have a young team that has some nice wins this season.  The Providence game came down to the last possession and we held on.  Last night it came down to the last possession and we got beat.  If we are a better team than DePaul it's not by much.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2016, 08:53:38 AM »
What do you think coaching is? Lol. Letiao was doing the same thing

I was messin' wit ya.

Of all the things to critique, the made for TV huddle shots aren't one of them.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2016, 08:56:30 AM »
This place is awesome.  Determining how good of a coach we have based on 5 second segments each games that go "inside the huddle."

There are way too many things wrong with this to even bother addressing further.

Wait a second, please. Show me where I--as the person who first brought up my huddle observation--was "determining how good a coach we have."

In subsequent, related comments, two posters mention "I miss Buzz" but it's not as if they were over the top and they were not judging Wojo based on those "5 second segments."

If anyone is overreacting, I venture to say it is you.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2016, 09:02:04 AM »

I am not in the fire Wojo camp by any means - he has room and means to turn this around. 

However, as someone who makes a point to watch every game (and have for the most part since the BE entry), I do have concerns. Namely the brand of basketball this team is playing is not fun to watch.

I hope Wojo is different off screen but those segments are not doing him any favors because it is one more thing that makes me question what is going on.

Last thing I will say is I hope Wojo starts coaching like he may be fired -- Buzz had that sense of urgency early in his career and it made things fun and frankly it is the mentality these guys have to have to be successful in today's college bball world.

crazyfannyboy54

• Walk-On
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2016, 09:02:53 AM »
At least Mike Deane would drop F bombs on his players even though the talent was not there.. #motivated coaching without the talent.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2016, 09:09:23 AM »
It's not fun because we aren't winning.  If we beat Seton Hall and DePaul at home this place would be flying high at 14-5 and 4-3.  The least of my concerns about Wojo is whether is "brand of basketball" is "fun to watch."  Bo Ryan's "brand of basketball" was a snoozer for all but 2 years of his career.  I'd take a mirror of what he did at Marquette any day of the week.

Half of our team is made up of freshman.  Look at teams like Xavier and Butler to see what happens when talented freshman turn into upperclassmen.

Trying to decide how Wojo is as a coach based on 5 second "in the huddle" segments in which FS1 literally cannot show anything that discusses a team's strategy is like trying to determine how good at his job a CFO or accountant is while discussing his son's 2nd grade algebra with him.  Watch an NBA game on TNT sometime.  They'll go "inside the huddle."  You'll hear almost exactly the same stuff Wojo says from Pop.  I guess Pop is a cliché clueless hack of a basketball coach, too.  :o

Like I said, this place is awesome.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 09:16:14 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2016, 09:13:39 AM »
It's not fun because we aren't winning. If we beat Seton Hall and DePaul at home this place would be flying high at 14-5 and 4-3.  Half of our team is made up of freshman.  Look at teams like Xavier and Butler to see what happens when talented freshman turn into upperclassmen.

Trying to decide how Wojo is as a coach based on 5 second "in the huddle" segments in which FS1 literally cannot show anything that discusses a team's strategy is like trying to determine how good at his job a CFO or accountant is while discussing his son's 2nd grade algebra with him.

Like I said, this place is awesome.
We didn't yo

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2016, 09:15:13 AM »