'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo is a heck of coach......  (Read 16089 times)

duanewade

• Team Captain
Wojo is a heck of coach......
« on: January 20, 2016, 09:25:00 PM »
I like Fischer guarding a guard on the last play.

I like how players don't improve.

I like how our teams are softer than Charmin in spite of having size down low.

I like the Wisconsin pipeline of average/slow players that play below average. And if one of the players isn't very good then offer their brother too. 

I like the mormon recruits who will never step foot on campus. 

I like that we'll have a one and done with no replacement and we'll be worse yet next year...thank God as the last three years weren't fun enough.   

I like the lack of accountability from our spend thrift President with multi-million dollar job extensions given in month 18 of a 60 month contract in spite of short track record of underperformance.  But let's also build a multi-million dollar sports facility that will be used to study endurance and lose millions annually.  No worries as we'll just hit up our alumni to subsidize the losses.  After all the alumni rather pay MU to teach more philosophy classes that no employer values and/or fund scholarships for kids that aren't their own as that is more important to them than funding their own retirement. 

Go Marquette!  Keep making me proud!  Keep asking me for more money so the teachers can make more than me while enjoying French benefits and a French work week.   :D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 09:30:45 PM by duanewade »

warriorfan 14

• Starter
Re: Wojo is a heck of coach......
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 09:26:50 PM »
with how henry has looked in the big east.....i would not want to be the GM who picks him in the lottery. not athletic enough for the nba, can't play d, can't shot from distance

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 09:29:23 PM »
He'll be buried on a bench only playing in a blow out,but he'll be a millionaire

ronald dragon

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 09:30:49 PM »

I like the Wisconsin pipeline of average/slow players that play below average. And if one of the players isn't very good then offer their brother too. 

I like that we'll have a one and done with no replacement and we'll be worse yet next year...thank God as the last three years weren't fun enough.   

I like the lack of accountability from our spend thrift President with multi-million dollar job extensions given in month 18 of a 60 month contract in spite of short track record of underperformance.  But let's also build a multi-million dollar sports facility that will be used to study endurance and lose millions annually.  No worries as we'll just hit up our alumni to subsidize the losses.  After all the alumni rather pay MU to teach more philosophy classes that no employer values and/or fund scholarships for kids that aren't their own as that is more important to them than funding their own retirement. 

Go Marquette!  Keep making me proud!  Keep asking me for more money so the teachers can make more than me while enjoying French benefits and a French working week.   :D
Step away from the ledge...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 09:31:34 PM »

Go Marquette!  Keep making me proud!  Keep asking me for more money so the teachers can make more than me while enjoying French benefits and a French working week.   :D

I shouldn't, but I will...

1. Standard pick and roll defense. Haanif was guarding him and the D switched on the pick.

2. JJJ has improved. As has Sandy. Even if only a little.

3. So, because Bailey is going on a mission, he'll never be on the team?

4. Wut?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 09:32:12 PM »
Duanewade only comes out from under his rock when he has a negative diatribe to spew.

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 09:35:08 PM »
wojo deserves the bashing after this one. the fans are getting restless with being a whipping boy in the big east 3 years in a row.

doc K

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 09:40:19 PM »
Those teachers you criticized would probably be happy to give you a free grammar lesson on the proper use of I and me

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 09:41:38 PM »
wojo deserves the bashing after this one. the fans are getting restless with being a whipping boy in the big east 3 years in a row.
hear, hear. This sh!t is getting old.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 09:42:53 PM »
with how henry has looked in the big east.....i would not want to be the GM who picks him in the lottery. not athletic enough for the nba, can't play d, can't shot from distance

There is no one in the country under 70 years of age who could not beat Henry with a move to the basket. He will get one NBA contract, then spend his years in places like Bakersfield.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 09:45:25 PM »
Wojo clearly deserves criticism. Those who come here only after losses to throw rocks shouldn't be taken very seriously however.

warriorfan 14

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 09:45:34 PM »
so are we still worried about wojo taking over for coach k???????

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 09:49:32 PM »
Wojo clearly deserves criticism. Those who come here only after losses to throw rocks shouldn't be taken very seriously however.

Lots of "loser" posters here tonight.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 09:57:27 PM »
Warrior fan14-You hit the nail on head. If Henry is a lottery pick, GM ought to be fired. I expected
more from him as season progressed. I hope I'm wrong, but this team is regressing as it is
the same ole. Yes, they are freshmen, but as talented as this team was written up to be before
the season---SHOW ME!

Class71

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 10:00:58 PM »
Those teachers you criticized would probably be happy to give you a free grammar lesson on the proper use of I and me

How is the pay for English majors these days?
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

duanewade

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 10:11:39 PM »
Don't exert yourself by typing on a message board!

Get something published!  Teach three one hour classes a week.  Take the summer off!  Then get tenure so you can take a sabbatical.  Finally vote Democrat so more student loan debt gets guaranteed so you can get raises teaching "gems" like Violence in Shakespeare and Faith History and Revelation. 

Not all of us get to live in the hot tub that is the world of academia.  Of course the end is coming soon as there is a crazy large bubble brewing for the cost of a college education in comparison to what you get for it. 

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 10:21:14 PM »

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 11:05:48 PM »
We suck. 
Period.

Oregon Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 11:06:39 PM »

Wojo and the rest of the staff deserve a lot of criticism. The defensive lapses, the stagnant offense, letting Ellenson and Carter continue to chuck 3's, Fischer's constant foul trouble. The list goes on and on and I think everyone is struggling to see signs of improvement.

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 11:14:33 PM »
Wojo and the rest of the staff deserve a lot of criticism.

I think a key point a lot of people here don't talk about is the effectiveness of the rest of the staff. They are doing terribly at offering any kind insights to Wojo. There have been more than a few times the assistant coaches should be in Wojos ear to take advantage of certain things (most memorably not playing Fischer when Ochefu was out).

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 11:16:04 PM »
Outside of recruiting, Wojo hasn't showed me that he can be a head coach at this level. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 11:20:40 PM »
I think a key point a lot of people here don't talk about is the effectiveness of the rest of the staff. They are doing terribly at offering any kind insights to Wojo. There have been more than a few times the assistant coaches should be in Wojos ear to take advantage of certain things (most memorably not playing Fischer when Ochefu was out).

Good point. Our staff is too young. Great for those lunchtime scrimmages but not so good for actual coaching.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 11:31:12 PM »
Outside of recruiting, Wojo hasn't showed me that he can be a head coach at this level.

6-19 in Big East for those counting at home.

Need Markus Howard pretty badly + a grad transfer

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 11:57:45 PM »
6-19 in Big East for those counting at home.

Win Every Day, ai'na?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2016, 11:59:39 PM »
Not all of us get to live in the hot tub that is the world of academia.  Of course the end is coming soon as there is a crazy large bubble brewing for the cost of a college education in comparison to what you get for it.

Huh, I actually agree with duanewade on something...I have the sudden urge to shower.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 07:50:32 AM »
I'm certainly not as ready to give up on Wojo as some posters seem to be, but I've been wondering where to put out this observation: each time I see that Fox is about to "go into the MU huddle" I cringe a little bit. Wojo seems so--I can't really put a word on it--unconvincing. I've not really heard much technical coaching, as in setting up a play or giving specific instructions. Nor is there much inspiration in his words and tone, like a leader or captain. What I see and hear is repetition. He seems to grab onto to one phrase ("pass the ball") and repeat it 3 or 4 times.

Now, I realize that what Fox shows is just a small slice of his on the sideline coaching, but it just doesn't leave me impressed.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 07:53:58 AM »
Step away from the ledge...

Screw that. Jump!

Please.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

KC_Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 07:59:51 AM »
I agree with mug644.  His speeches in the huddles are underwhelming.  I don't see the value in yelling "we've got to fight" over and over again.  Or "we're not playing smart."  How about some X's & O's?  Actual strategy.  Never thought I'd say this: I miss Buzz.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 08:08:53 AM »
I'm certainly not as ready to give up on Wojo as some posters seem to be, but I've been wondering where to put out this observation: each time I see that Fox is about to "go into the MU huddle" I cringe a little bit. Wojo seems so--I can't really put a word on it--unconvincing. I've not really heard much technical coaching, as in setting up a play or giving specific instructions. Nor is there much inspiration in his words and tone, like a leader or captain. What I see and hear is repetition. He seems to grab onto to one phrase ("pass the ball") and repeat it 3 or 4 times.

Now, I realize that what Fox shows is just a small slice of his on the sideline coaching, but it just doesn't leave me impressed.

+1

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 08:12:05 AM »

J/w. Do both teams usually do this on FS1? For some reason I only remember Marquette doing them.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2016, 08:22:03 AM »
J/w. Do both teams usually do this on FS1? For some reason I only remember Marquette doing them.

Not sure what "J/w" means. But, I've seen both teams huddles at least once each game. I think I read somewhere that allowing it is part of the TV contract between Fox and the Big East.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2016, 08:22:56 AM »

I've noticed the same and was wondering if some threw a mega mix together... or mixed and matched... would we be able to tell who the opponent is?  "Play strong, play smart, and We have to fight" is not coaching.  It's obvious advice.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2016, 08:25:57 AM »
I agree with mug644.  His speeches in the huddles are underwhelming.  I don't see the value in yelling "we've got to fight" over and over again.  Or "we're not playing smart."  How about some X's & O's?  Actual strategy.  Never thought I'd say this: I miss Buzz.

I was thinking this too.  Lots of yelling very general cliches.  And yes, I miss Buzz right now and anyone who doesn't is kidding themselves.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2016, 08:26:02 AM »
Not sure what "J/w" means. But, I've seen both teams huddles at least once each game. I think I read somewhere that allowing it is part of the TV contract between Fox and the Big East.

Thanks I appreciate it. I probably just zone out the other coaches, so that makes sense. & sorry for the confusion. J/w - just wondering.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 08:34:37 AM »
Y'all do know that Fox purposefully doesn't show any of the xs and os talk in the huddle right?
TAMU

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2016, 08:35:00 AM »

which version...the one that crapped the bed the last year he was here and mailed it in?  Or a different version?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2016, 08:39:04 AM »
Y'all do know that Fox purposefully doesn't show any of the xs and os talk in the huddle right?

BUT HE JUST YELLS CLICHES.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2016, 08:44:35 AM »
I'm not at the point where I think Wojo should be fired, although I wouldn't really care if he is.  I hated the unnecessary extension, whether a token gesture or not.

His cupboard was empty when he arrived, and he has shown the ability to recruit one good class, but he hasn't shown much as a game coach or someone who has improved players (granted some haven't had enough time here to actually demonstrate that). 

WAIT - he also took away shorts and tank tops once, so he is a motivational genius - aside from that one game, that essentially was useless (despite all the posts about how clearly it worked).

I don't think it is much more than a coin flip whether Wojo, or off-season candidate X, is better for the program long-term.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:47:15 AM by Marquette_g »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2016, 08:47:44 AM »
This place is awesome.  Determining how good of a coach we have based on 5 second segments each games that go "inside the huddle."

There are way too many things wrong with this to even bother addressing further.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

KC_Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2016, 08:49:33 AM »
The Buzz that crapped the bed still posted a .500 record in conference.  I'd take that right about now.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2016, 08:52:10 AM »

As implied in my initial post about the huddles, I do presume that that is the case. But what we do see is just shallow, and I'm not sure how it directs or motivates the players. Maybe I'm wrong about how it impacts the players, maybe my expectations are unrealistic and/or maybe the "in the huddle" idea is lacking.

I can't and won't use what we see in the huddle as a means of judging Wojo; it was simply an observation.

Further, I'm not ready to reminisce about Buzz and compare Wojo to Buzz.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2016, 08:52:24 AM »
BUT HE JUST YELLS CLICHES.

What do you think coaching is? Lol. Letiao was doing the same thing
TAMU

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2016, 08:52:58 AM »
I'm not on the ledge with Wojo yet.  We have a young team that has some nice wins this season.  The Providence game came down to the last possession and we held on.  Last night it came down to the last possession and we got beat.  If we are a better team than DePaul it's not by much.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2016, 08:53:38 AM »
What do you think coaching is? Lol. Letiao was doing the same thing

I was messin' wit ya.

Of all the things to critique, the made for TV huddle shots aren't one of them.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2016, 08:56:30 AM »
This place is awesome.  Determining how good of a coach we have based on 5 second segments each games that go "inside the huddle."

There are way too many things wrong with this to even bother addressing further.

Wait a second, please. Show me where I--as the person who first brought up my huddle observation--was "determining how good a coach we have."

In subsequent, related comments, two posters mention "I miss Buzz" but it's not as if they were over the top and they were not judging Wojo based on those "5 second segments."

If anyone is overreacting, I venture to say it is you.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2016, 09:02:04 AM »

I am not in the fire Wojo camp by any means - he has room and means to turn this around. 

However, as someone who makes a point to watch every game (and have for the most part since the BE entry), I do have concerns. Namely the brand of basketball this team is playing is not fun to watch.

I hope Wojo is different off screen but those segments are not doing him any favors because it is one more thing that makes me question what is going on.

Last thing I will say is I hope Wojo starts coaching like he may be fired -- Buzz had that sense of urgency early in his career and it made things fun and frankly it is the mentality these guys have to have to be successful in today's college bball world.

crazyfannyboy54

• Walk-On
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2016, 09:02:53 AM »
At least Mike Deane would drop F bombs on his players even though the talent was not there.. #motivated coaching without the talent.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2016, 09:09:23 AM »
It's not fun because we aren't winning.  If we beat Seton Hall and DePaul at home this place would be flying high at 14-5 and 4-3.  The least of my concerns about Wojo is whether is "brand of basketball" is "fun to watch."  Bo Ryan's "brand of basketball" was a snoozer for all but 2 years of his career.  I'd take a mirror of what he did at Marquette any day of the week.

Half of our team is made up of freshman.  Look at teams like Xavier and Butler to see what happens when talented freshman turn into upperclassmen.

Trying to decide how Wojo is as a coach based on 5 second "in the huddle" segments in which FS1 literally cannot show anything that discusses a team's strategy is like trying to determine how good at his job a CFO or accountant is while discussing his son's 2nd grade algebra with him.  Watch an NBA game on TNT sometime.  They'll go "inside the huddle."  You'll hear almost exactly the same stuff Wojo says from Pop.  I guess Pop is a cliché clueless hack of a basketball coach, too.  :o

Like I said, this place is awesome.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 09:16:14 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2016, 09:13:39 AM »
It's not fun because we aren't winning. If we beat Seton Hall and DePaul at home this place would be flying high at 14-5 and 4-3.  Half of our team is made up of freshman.  Look at teams like Xavier and Butler to see what happens when talented freshman turn into upperclassmen.

Trying to decide how Wojo is as a coach based on 5 second "in the huddle" segments in which FS1 literally cannot show anything that discusses a team's strategy is like trying to determine how good at his job a CFO or accountant is while discussing his son's 2nd grade algebra with him.

We didn't yo

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2016, 09:15:13 AM »

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2016, 09:26:12 AM »

I have missed buzz  for the past 2 years

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2016, 09:32:47 AM »
I have missed buzz  for the past 2 years

Grow up and deal with it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2016, 09:33:29 AM »
The optimistic Scoopers who think Wojo actually might turn out to be a good coach are totally clueless. Delusional. Or as the leading GOP presidential candidate would say, "Stooopid."

I mean, there is no freakin' way he has a snowball's chance in hell at being half as good as his mentor, Coach K.

Just look at K's record! He wasn't some crappy coach with a barely-over-.500 record in his second season at Duke!!!

Wait? What's that? K was some crappy coach with a 10-17 record in his second season? And he followed that by going 11-17 the next season?

No way! That's impossible! Wojo is the worst coach ever and he's better than that! Everybody knows that young coaches, like young players, NEVER improve!

I demand a recount!!!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 10:19:34 AM by MU82 »

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2016, 09:36:56 AM »
The optimistic Scoopers who think Wojo actually might turn out to be a good coach are totally clueless. Delusional. Or as the leading GOP presidential candidate would say, "Stooopid."

I mean, there is no freakin' way he has a snowball's chance in hell at being half as good as his mentor, Coach K.

Just look at K's record! He wasn't some crappy coach with a barely-over-.500 record in his second season at Duke!!!

Wait? What's that? K was some crappy coach with a 10-17 record in his second season? And he followed that by going 11-17 the next season?

No way! That's impossible! Wojo is the worst coach ever and he's better than that! Everybody knows that young coaches, like young players, NEVER get improve!

I demand a recount!!!

You are on fire today

crazyfannyboy54

• Walk-On
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2016, 10:04:57 AM »
WOJO and staff maybe stuck in there ways.. Stubborn coaching shows in losses like last night..

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2016, 10:12:27 AM »
WOJO and staff maybe stuck in there ways.. Stubborn coaching shows in losses like last night..

Yeah the first thing I think of when Wojo goes to a zone defense having been around Coach K for 20 years is "This guy is too stubborn and stuck in his ways."   :o

connie

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2016, 10:13:48 AM »
At least Mike Deane would drop F bombs on his players even though the talent was not there.. #motivated coaching without the talent.
Wow, if you think Wojo isn't dropping f-bombs like a B-52 over Cambodia you are not paying attention.  MU had a defensive lapse to allow DePaul to bring the score to 4-2 last night and the dude absolutely lost his sh!t.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2016, 10:17:44 AM »

You have been on this board for just over an hour.  11 posts.  All negative.  A number inaccurate. 

mug644

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2016, 10:19:10 AM »

Actually, I would say that last night shows the opposite. He changed the starting lineup, and gave Heldt more run than normal (of course, that was partly due to Fischer's foul trouble early), and put in Anim for the first time since the opening game of the conference season.

I think we're seeing Wojo trying to adjust, but he's got so many moving (read: inconsistent) parts that the performance isn't there. I don't think that Wojo can/should be held accountable for that, especially in any one game.

I do wish, though, that we were seeing more consistent, high-level effort from the team, and that's something I would think that Wojo could influence game in and game out. And, frankly, I'm surprised that we're not seeing it, given the type of player he himself was. (And knowing that Travis D is also on the bench, and had the same mentality.) Still, I take a long-term approach, and am not ready to give up on Wojo, not at all.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2016, 10:40:23 AM »

The night after wojo changes the starting lineup and substitution patterns is the day you say he's stuck in his ways?
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2016, 10:42:54 AM »
The night after wojo changes the starting lineup and substitution patterns is the day you say he's stuck in his ways?

You and your facts.

NEVER let facts get in the way of unbridled, knee-jerk anger!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2016, 10:43:09 AM »
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 11:16:15 AM by Crean to Ann Arbor »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2016, 11:05:05 AM »
Lessons learned from previous games:
1.  No taunting
2.  No technicals
3.   Fewer if any b.s. hook shots,
4.   Fewer 3 point shots early in the clock
5.   Better but not great protection of the rock
6.    ?

Lesson learned last night
NEVER LET A TEAM GET A 3 POINT PLAY (TWO AND) AT THE END OF REGULATION, BEAT THEM IN OVERTIME, PERIOD......LET THEM HAVE 2 OR A 3 FROM DOWNTOWN IF NECESSARY.....

I SEE IMPROVMENT, SLOW IMPROVMENT

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2016, 11:30:51 AM »
Lesson learned last night
NEVER LET A TEAM GET A 3 POINT PLAY (TWO AND) AT THE END OF REGULATION, BEAT THEM IN OVERTIME, PERIOD......LET THEM HAVE 2 OR A 3 FROM DOWNTOWN IF NECESSARY.....

I will say this.  When it happened live I thought, "I can't believe we were dumb enough to foul that guy on the drive."  When the replay started I thought, "Let's see who the idiot was that fouled him."  After the replay I thought, "Nobody fouled him!"
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2016, 11:40:31 AM »
Luke didn't foul him.  Luke wasn't able to stay close enough to foul him.  The official who made the call was looking through a number of players and thought he did.   I said last night, the end of the game felt like a Detroit Lion's game. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2016, 11:46:24 AM »
I will say this.  When it happened live I thought, "I can't believe we were dumb enough to foul that guy on the drive."  When the replay started I thought, "Let's see who the idiot was that fouled him."  After the replay I thought, "Nobody fouled him!"

I'll add in the comment that I posted elsewhere that I was more nervous when Garrett had the ball outside the arc, as I feared a 3 ball to win the game. As soon as he drove, I felt more at ease, though worried that he might look to kick it out to Henry, "knowing" that a 2 would only bring overtime.

I'm little surprised that we're not hearing more outrage at the phantom foul. He blew past Fischer so quickly and didn't get touched by Johnson. Who was the foul actually called on? I sure hope MU is contacting the BEast to protest the call, if only to highlight (another?) weak bit of officiating this year.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2016, 02:47:21 PM »
As mentioned, the coaches know the "huddle cam" is on and they purposely don't say anything specific about strategy. Just like in the NBA, all those timeout cameras in the huddle are just terrible clichéd speeches. I can't believe this is where people are judging wojo.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2016, 03:12:33 PM »
I am not in the fire Wojo camp by any means - he has room and means to turn this around. 

However, as someone who makes a point to watch every game (and have for the most part since the BE entry), I do have concerns. Namely the brand of basketball this team is playing is not fun to watch.

I hope Wojo is different off screen but those segments are not doing him any favors because it is one more thing that makes me question what is going on.

Last thing I will say is I hope Wojo starts coaching like he may be fired -- Buzz had that sense of urgency early in his career and it made things fun and frankly it is the mentality these guys have to have to be successful in today's college bball world.

Are you that big of a donor that it would matter? 

I think Wojo, the administration, and the BOD have a plan and a schedule that they are following to build the program to a sustainable level of great quality.  Shockingly, that might not be the same time frame that you have in mind.  I'm not sure they care that the radicalized 5% of the "fan" base thinks it should happen sooner (unless you are a big enough donor that Wojo should worry about how his made for TV clips come across)

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2016, 11:24:53 AM »
Are you that big of a donor that it would matter? 

I think Wojo, the administration, and the BOD have a plan and a schedule that they are following to build the program to a sustrightble level of great quality.  Shockingly, that might not be the same time frame that you have in mind.  I'm not sure they care that the radicalized 5% of the "fan" base thinks it should happen sooner (unless you are a big enough donor that Wojo should worry about how his made for TV clips come across)
Sure would be nice to see that plan so that scoopers can properly critique it. Anybody have a copy of that power point pitch?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2016, 11:36:43 AM »

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2016, 11:49:30 AM »
As mentioned, the coaches know the "huddle cam" is on and they purposely don't say anything specific about strategy. Just like in the NBA, all those timeout cameras in the huddle are just terrible clichéd speeches. I can't believe this is where people are judging wojo.

Absolutely right.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2016, 01:09:57 PM »
I am as skeptical about Wojo as anyone, and I cant even get on board  with the "Huddle Cam" argument.   

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2016, 01:28:47 PM »
I basically have not liked Wojo from the start. However, I am very torn on this. I like the character of the players coming in. I do not see as much talent as the rest of you do. We are getting killed on the boards in the Big East. I am not sure if that is a lack of athleticism or a lack of coaching. Maybe it is both. I am not sure whether our cupcake schedule was a good idea or not. It got us some wins, but I do not think it prepared us well for the Big East. The players seem to like Wojo and I think that is important. I hated transfers out of the program, so I think it come down to this for me. We do not have any transfers at year end and then I will give Wojo another year to prove me wrong. He should be fired, if players start transferring.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2016, 10:30:03 PM »
I basically have not liked Wojo from the start. However, I am very torn on this. I like the character of the players coming in. I do not see as much talent as the rest of you do. We are getting killed on the boards in the Big East. I am not sure if that is a lack of athleticism or a lack of coaching. Maybe it is both. I am not sure whether our cupcake schedule was a good idea or not. It got us some wins, but I do not think it prepared us well for the Big East. The players seem to like Wojo and I think that is important. I hated transfers out of the program, so I think it come down to this for me. We do not have any transfers at year end and then I will give Wojo another year to prove me wrong. He should be fired, if players start transferring.

I'm sure Wojo will be relieved that an interwebs fansite dude is willing to give him another year.

Meathead

• Walk-On
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2016, 11:23:51 PM »
It's not fun because we aren't winning.  If we beat Seton Hall and DePaul at home this place would be flying high at 14-5 and 4-3.  The least of my concerns about Wojo is whether is "brand of basketball" is "fun to watch."  Bo Ryan's "brand of basketball" was a snoozer for all but 2 years of his career.  I'd take a mirror of what he did at Marquette any day of the week.

Half of our team is made up of freshman.  Look at teams like Xavier and Butler to see what happens when talented freshman turn into upperclassmen.

Trying to decide how Wojo is as a coach based on 5 second "in the huddle" segments in which FS1 literally cannot show anything that discusses a team's strategy is like trying to determine how good at his job a CFO or accountant is while discussing his son's 2nd grade algebra with him.  Watch an NBA game on TNT sometime.  They'll go "inside the huddle."  You'll hear almost exactly the same stuff Wojo says from Pop.  I guess Pop is a cliché clueless hack of a basketball coach, too.  :o

You seem to be a knowledgeable poster so I am curious:  Did you make a prediction for this team prior to the season starting?  Just curious to know if your expectations have been met, or are on track to be met?

If Henry leaves as many expect he will, and with no other true 4 on the roster/recruiting class at this time, will we be much better next year?

How would you grade Wojo's coaching performance thus far in his tenure? 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2016, 03:54:35 PM »

I couldn't help thinking of this post when Fox went inside the huddle with Chris Holtmann. He repeated the same exact inane comment about rebounding four times in a row. Maybe Wojo does this, but he certainly doesn't have the market cornered.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2016, 04:00:25 PM »
I couldn't help thinking of this post when Fox went inside the huddle with Chris Holtmann. He repeated the same exact inane comment about rebounding four times in a row. Maybe Wojo does this, but he certainly doesn't have the market cornered.

Fox also isn't going to show coaches drawing up plays. If they did, we'd see the end of cameras in a huddle real quickly.

It's almost always going to be the most mundane part of the huddle or a motivational moment. They aren't going to show anything else.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2016, 04:02:06 PM »
No one's as bad as Hemorrhoid Crean, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"