[Today at 10:46:03 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Viper
[Today at 10:44:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: relocating the students?  (Read 15952 times)

muhoosier260

• All American
relocating the students?
« on: November 10, 2006, 10:24:45 AM »
After reading an article in the MU tribune, the idea of relocating the student section (at least to me a current student) seems like an attractive idea. The article suggests moving the students to somewhere on the sidelines to give them a better presence at the BC. Putting aside the fact that this would infuriate alums and season ticket holders, what's the consensus on relocating the student section? Do you think whoever would be in charge of that decision would ever consider moving the student section other than in the corner by the visiting bench? I'm not sure what happened in previous years, but I'm fairly certain that the fanatic tickets sold out this year. Perhaps the student section can play a larger role in games in a more strategic position? also, what are people's opinions on the student section: good, weak, annoying?
here's the article: http://www.marquettetribune.org/media/storage/paper1130/news/2006/11/09/Sports/Lets-Do.It.Like.Duke-2447581.shtml?norewrite200611101112&sourcedomain=www.marquettetribune.org

-long time follower of ringoutahoya and now muscoop, first time poster

PuertoRicanNightmare

Re: relocating the students?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 10:29:44 AM »
This comes up almost every year, including the long time ago when I was a student. The bottom line is, not only would in result in IRATE! season ticket holders, many of whom have attended games longer than most students have been alive, but there are at least 8 or 9 games a year when the students just plain don't show up.

It's a horrible idea, although I admit I disagreed when I was a student. Marquette depends on the revenue from it's season ticket holders too much to push them on this one. Re-seating has already caused dismay among these loyal fans.

Incidentally, Duke doesn't have an arena even close to the size of the BC. Marquette could fill Cameron Indoor easily. It's comparing apples and oranges.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 10:32:56 AM by PuertoRicanNightmare »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 10:35:07 AM »
I just can't see that happening .. moving the students to the prime seats at the BC would mean the season ticket holders -- the ones who have about a kajillion points -- would form an angry mob and burn down the Bradley Center, the McGuire Center, and probably Jesu.

I'm always surprised that even to sit NEXT to a corner section, i.e. the "worst" sideline seat, you need ~150+ points.   That's a ton of points, and it means you've been a ticket holder for at least a decade.  Those folks in the middle, where you're thinking of putting the students?  They've literally been there for 30+ years.

Plus the fact, that, let's face it, while the student section has been better over the past 5 years, their track record is pretty poor.  Didn't they say 3000 student tickets were sold .. I'd bet only 1000 of them show up for half the games, the others are just big-game viewers.

The blue-hairs in the middle .. they go to all the games.  Oh, oh, AND, they've probably donated $100k over the decades they've been supporting Marquette.  

Since ticket prices have doubled in the last 4 years .. the choice to please some students and amp up the crowd, versus maintaining and increasing revenue .. there's no doubt what the answer to that question is.

Desert_Eagle

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 10:36:46 AM »
First of all, welcome muhoosier!!

As a fellow student at Marquette, and also having read that article, I would love for the entire student section to be moved down to the lower level. It would definitely make us an even stronger force in the BC than we already are, especially since we will be more unified and closer to the court.

Having said that, I highly doubt that this would ever happen, especially considering what the author of the article is proposing, which is to have us sitting down the sideline behind both benches. As you already pointed out, it would definitely make fans and alums angry (I would be angry too) and it would take away a great deal of ticket revenue since those are some highly priced seats.

The best possible solution in my eyes would be a compromise between both parties. Move all of the students to the bottom section, but keep us basically where we are on that side of the court. So, instead of completely moving the section down the east sideline, simply expand our section evenly on the lower level on both sides. Especially considering that the visiting team plays into the student section in the second half, this would make us pretty much invincible at home.
"Marquette is bigger than any one person. Marquette is Marquette."

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 10:43:22 AM »
I don't think it will ever happen, nor should it, its more of a fantasy than anything. Any fan of course would love to have such a prime seat, but I agree that students in no way should take priority over multiple decade season ticket holders. I do like the idea of students being behind both backboards though....

Desert_Eagle

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 10:45:42 AM »
Plus the fact, that, let's face it, while the student section has been better over the past 5 years, their track record is pretty poor.  Didn't they say 3000 student tickets were sold .. I'd bet only 1000 of them show up for half the games, the others are just big-game viewers.

Actually, they said that they sold 4,500 student ticket packages this year, which is a record I believe. They said that for the big games when everyone does show up, they're going to have to expand the student section.

And our track record is not poor. Last year, when the season really got started and people started showing up, we were pretty much unstoppable at home. Granted we did lose to Cinci, but that was over winter break so the crowd was not in full force. I think our wins against G'town and Pitt in the same weekend were a testament to how dominant we are at home with our crowd.

And by no means am I saying that because of this we should be allowed to move our student section, I'm just saying don't sell us short.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 11:05:41 AM »
Right, but showing up for Pitt and GTown isn't being a good fan.  That's being a fan.  If the big games are the only ones you show up for, you don't qualify as a good fan.

Showing up for Morgan State and Savannah.  Those are your good fans.  .. If it's 4,500 student tickets, and only 1,000 show up .. that means 75% of the people who buy student tickets are not in the same league as "good" fans.    For that reason, plus the fact that the students 10 year history is not good, makes me stick to my comment that their track record is pretty poor.

To clarify:  When the 4,500 students show up, the students are great.  And the 1,000 who show up every game, they're great too.  But the 3,500 who just show up when they feel like it: bah humbug.  Edit:  Heck, when 2,000 students show up, the students are great.

(Question:  How much are season student tickets these days?)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 11:16:40 AM by mu_hilltopper »

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 11:08:23 AM »
AZ, you're basically making his point.  every game you bring up was a big-time game.  where were all the students when we lost to winthrop last year?  i would have loved for the student section to be on the sideline, but it's true, most students won;t show up to the Bufu state games on the schedule.  if i'm wrong, then i expect to see the student section filled to the rafters tonight against hillsdale.  

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 11:21:15 AM »
Over the past ten years, the size of the crowd correlates pretty closely to the quality of the team.  That's not the sign of great fans.  Sure we draw 18K for big games, but my freshman year in '99 when we were a .500 team, we averaged 9,800.  Aside from Wisconsin, we probably won't draw 13,500 to any OOC game.  I hope I'm wrong.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 11:43:57 AM »
Right .. which is kind of how this started.  The great fans are the season ticket holders who, year after year, buy the tickets and come to the games. 

During those lean years you mention, those 9,800 fans?  Those are GREAT fans, slogging through 22 games in hopes of victory.  That's why you can't move them for some johnny come latelies.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 12:14:45 PM »
it should be noted that no fewer than 8 games on MU's schedule this year fall during the student's christmas break, 6 of these are home games, including 2 BE games in Cuse and WV. this kills me and is extremely unfortunate. its too bad that winter break must cut into the basketball schedule so much, but thats not anything anyone can really control.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 12:21:11 PM »
Over the summer there was some legitamate talk about removing the corner of the student section and placing it on the other side of the court forming a bowtie.  Not only would it bring the students closer to the court it would give season ticket holders in the distant endzone a chance to move closer to the former student section corner.

It never went through obviously.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 12:27:21 PM »
Students should be where they are... for the most part the people in the upper deck don't care enough to get there early for seats. The system in place is fine, the fans that are most intense are closer to the court.

And I agree with Hilltopper... until more start showing up consistently, there's no way they move the section. That will never happen, because MU students are anal about their GPAs, and they might lose some precious study time to go to a basketball game.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2006, 12:44:16 PM »
That will never happen, because MU students are anal about their GPAs, and they might lose some precious study time to go to a basketball game.

Yeah!  What do they think they're at Marquette for.. an education?! Geesh the nerve of those students - inexcusable  ;D
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2006, 12:51:59 PM »
Haha isn't it though?!

But seriously, there are plenty of us who come early and go to every game that manage to do well academically... but we also plan our schedules around basketball  ;D

Desert_Eagle

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2006, 12:57:58 PM »
AZ, you're basically making his point.  every game you bring up was a big-time game.  where were all the students when we lost to winthrop last year?  i would have loved for the student section to be on the sideline, but it's true, most students won;t show up to the Bufu state games on the schedule.  if i'm wrong, then i expect to see the student section filled to the rafters tonight against hillsdale. 

Haha, you're right. I kinda did make his point, but I was bringing up the G'town and Pitt games not to show when we show up, but rather how we show up. Those were both highly ranked opponents last year and I think it proves how strong our student section is.

And I also agree that there are definitely a number of fair weather fans, but regardless, expect a tremendous amount of student support this year. There were kids waiting outside the BC before it opened for the exhibition against Strich on Sunday, which I thought was unbelievable. And for those of you who did attend the game last Sunday, you have to admit that for an exhibition game, our student section was incredible. Completely blew away last year's turn out/spirit from both exhibitions combined. Very impressive, in my opinion.

And just to clarify, I'm one of the die-hards. I will be at every game I can this year (I live in Arizona and likely won't be flying back for the UWV and SU games, although it kills me to have to miss those two) including the CBE Classic Championship game (knock on wood) and hopefully Notre Dame and DePaul. I'm the kid in full body paint in the front row of all the games (see picture) although my buddies and I are not going to start the painting until the Wisconsin game this year.  ;)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2006, 01:03:04 PM »
I do agree.  The student turnout for the Stritch game was surprisingly large and energetic.

I actually would support removing half of the lower student sections, and placing them in the opposite corner, as a zero net difference, other than some energy would come from both sides of the BC.

I think I'd also support moving a student corner section to behind the other basket.   I suppose there are some folks who love sitting in the end zone (I just don't see it.)

Desert_Eagle

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2006, 01:10:21 PM »
(Question:  How much are season student tickets these days?)

Oh, forgot to answer your question in my last post.

The fanatics ticket package for students, which includes tickets to every home game for every sport and the fanatics t-shirt is $55. A pretty awesome deal. Then again, we are paying tutition too.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2006, 02:31:46 PM »
There has always been students waiting for the exhibition games, nothing new. Turn out was decent, I excepted better, but it was Sunday night, study time for Marquette students.

The student section will never be moved. Luckily, for some students they expanded it due to the high demand of tickets.

With the sheer number of students that come to the big games, we should be 400% better. But those big games fans are just terrible.

Personally, I would like to see how many games that author made it to last season.
Also, if he wants to be like Duke, he would have to wait outside for three days to get tickets. Since he can't wait outside the BC for a couple hours to get good seats, I am sure he would still complain.

Typical Marquette, always looking for something for nothing.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2006, 03:34:39 PM »
There has always been students waiting for the exhibition games, nothing new. Turn out was decent, I excepted better, but it was Sunday night, study time for Marquette students.

The student section will never be moved. Luckily, for some students they expanded it due to the high demand of tickets.

With the sheer number of students that come to the big games, we should be 400% better. But those big games fans are just terrible.

Personally, I would like to see how many games that author made it to last season.
Also, if he wants to be like Duke, he would have to wait outside for three days to get tickets. Since he can't wait outside the BC for a couple hours to get good seats, I am sure he would still complain.

Typical Marquette, always looking for something for nothing.

Always students waiting outside before exhibition games...? Not sure about that....

Who crapped in this guy's oatmeal?  ::)

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2006, 03:37:04 PM »
During my junior year at Marquette (2003-2004), I put together a committee of students within MUSG to survey about 50 or so BCS-conference schools similar to Marquette about their student seating practices in conjunction with a proposal we were gnerating to pitch to athletics about changing student seating at the Bradley Center. 

As much as MU students complained about seating then and now, Marquette's offers were downright generous compared to some of the other packages offered:  general admission, no seniority requirements, and $55 for an entire season.  Furthermore, it didn't help our case that in that year, student attendance on average dropped by almost 35%, sapping the strength out of our case by the time we got to athletics.

We worked with athletics to consider various scenarios, but in the end, any scenario (we had dozens) would have ultimately resulted in a dramatic financial loss for the athletics department, not just in ticket revenue but ancilliary donations to the athletics department. Someone mentioned the two endzone idea; it was tried at the Boise St. NIT game in 2004 and didn't work, not to mentioned would have resulted in a LOSS of student seats and a huge loss for athletics.  Places like Florida or MSU that generate massive chunks of revenue for football can afford to tick off a few alums by allowing students to surround the court; MU can't do that with basketball as the generator of nearly 98% of athletics' budgets.

Attendance tonight, surprisngly, may be less than the exhibition amongst students, since women's soccer plays an NCAA game tonight at Valley Fields.  Basically, moral of the story:  the students can't complain about not having good seats when they don't show up to games when the team is bad or opponent is bad.  And $$$ will always overrule any attempt to move more students downstairs or around the court.
The General has taken on a new command.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2006, 03:41:32 PM »
I'm not sure how many people will be at that soccer game with the rainy cold weather.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2006, 04:07:33 PM »
The weather is indeed atrocious.  My wife is putting the squeeze on me to not go .. I've already tried one other guy, no dice.  Come ON!  It's FREAKING magnet night!

COS98

• Walk-On
Best system so far.
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2006, 04:58:47 PM »
This system rewards the most dedicated fans with the best seats for each game.  I do not want to hear about studying and all that crap.  TIME MANAGEMENT!  Use your time wisely and you can get the best seat and the biggest bender for every game.  And to the guy who would not camp out for 3 days like those Duke punks....In the 70's we camped out for 10 days non stop in front of the old Union to qualify for tickets.  We did it every year...first 10 days of the semester.  We had a guy who almost died from alcohol poisoning in our tent and they went to the bogus lottery system.  Crean came in and has a good plan.  This system serves you well.  Enjoy your seats now and pay your dues for the better alum seats after graduation.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 05:02:10 PM by COS98 »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2006, 05:10:22 PM »
We had a guy who almost died from alcohol poisoning in our tent

Ahhh yes Cos...I've been waiting for your input on campus bars for the Wiki.  8)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
It be actually get worse for students
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2006, 05:15:07 PM »
I haven't read the article and I should before commenting, but I can tell you that several times when working the AD we broached this subject.  I do not see how it could ever happen financially.  The revenue generated by the seats in the middle is tremendous and MU simply couldn't get that revenue difference by moving those high paying fans into lesser seats.

It could actually get worse.  Out here at USC for football games, they have actually reduced the number of student season tickets by large amounts the last two years because of demand by the public to buy seats. 

If we get on a crazy roll where we have 16000 or 17000 per game in the future, you might see less student seats down low and more of them up top.  Just a reality where you have to cash in while you can in the world of college athletics.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2006, 10:42:21 PM »
Ahhh yes Cos...I've been waiting for your input on campus bars for the Wiki.  8)

and dice games.. while you're at it, mention the recipe for the box shot..  ;D
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2006, 07:09:32 AM »
I just graduated from MU in May with my graduate degree.  I was a classmate of Dwyane's in freshman English.  I was a huge proponent of adding seats to the MU student section, but the lean years happened (post Dwyane, pre D James) and students NEVER came.  We had a Saturday afternoon nationally televised game against Arizona, the Saturday after finals and the bottom of the student section was barely full.  I have always said our student section is vocal, but 75% couldn't name half of the teams in our conference.  That's just the way it is.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2006, 07:51:57 AM »
I was a classmate of Dwyane's in freshman English.

Funny how we all have memories like that - mine was of pieper sleeping in the back of my philosophy 101 class.. course he didn't go on to become the NBA finals MVP... :-\

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2006, 04:16:11 PM »
I was a huge proponent of adding seats to the MU student section, but the lean years happened (post Dwyane, pre D James) and students NEVER came.  We had a Saturday afternoon nationally televised game against Arizona, the Saturday after finals and the bottom of the student section was barely full.

"Barely full" is still full, is it not?  ;D

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2006, 06:36:08 PM »
good to see there's so much commentary on this issue

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2006, 06:46:44 PM »
The section was well into the upper deck for Arizona two years ago, I remember that game very well. I think the turnout on Friday was outstanding considering it was Hillsdale. I could see those numbers getting even bigger for the Classic.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2006, 07:34:43 PM »

I think I'd also support moving a student corner section to behind the other basket.   I suppose there are some folks who love sitting in the end zone (I just don't see it.)

well we sit in 101, other side, endzone.
no, not the best seats in the house, but right in the action-
backboard unit obscures some play, but our kids love it, they get the feeling of hoops, unlike when we had great upper seats first row behind the bench...
they slam players hands in the tunnel and every once in a while get an autograph.
their joy and growing up to appreciate MU hoops is worth the location.
plus, no where else is attainable in the lower bowl that close without having a Rockefeller for a dad.

Desert_Eagle

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2006, 07:45:59 PM »
I think the turnout on Friday was outstanding considering it was Hillsdale. I could see those numbers getting even bigger for the Classic.

Amen.

Dry White Toast

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2006, 10:36:16 AM »
Women's soccer might interfere with student attendance at a BB game???  What is going on?

Also a little surprised that an editorial in the MUTrib (written by a student) generated such disucssion.  It's a non-story.  The student section will never get the best seats in the house.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2006, 11:29:07 AM »
I believe it's just the Tribune's one attempt at trying to change something and take credit for it. They do it once a year, never works because that publication is worse than my high school newspaper.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2006, 05:00:50 PM »
it's just the Tribune's one attempt at trying to change something and take credit for it.

having started the thread and citing that article, i just thought that the article was an easy way of stating the whole idea of a moved student section, rather than go on myself for a page about it. to say the trib is trying to take credit for that is crazy...like many people have said, this discussion is brought up occassionally, and the tribune is certainly not the first group to bring up this topic

Women's soccer might interfere with student attendance at a BB game???  What is going on?

Also a little surprised that an editorial in the MUTrib (written by a student) generated such disucssion.  It's a non-story.  The student section will never get the best seats in the house.

there's more to the non-story if so many people have said so much about it. but nonetheless, i would bet my life nothing will change as far as it goes

feedback