'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2014 6'9" PF Elston Jones  (Read 6041 times)

Slim

• All American
2014 6'9" PF Elston Jones
« on: February 15, 2012, 10:32:31 AM »
Visited yesterday from AZ

Any word?

ibechillindoe

• Scholarship Player
Re: 2014 6'9" PF Elston Jones
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 10:57:05 AM »
Question about 2014. How many spots will we have open if things go as planned. I know a lot of things can change by then, but whats the number look like. From reading posts it looks like that could be a big year for recruits for us. The likes of Lyle and especially Looney intrigue me.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 11:09:44 AM »
Question about 2014. How many spots will we have open if things go as planned. I know a lot of things can change by then, but whats the number look like. From reading posts it looks like that could be a big year for recruits for us. The likes of Lyle and especially Looney intrigue me.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?page=8

Though it hasn't been updated to show Otule's probable 6th year in 2013-2014.  Including that, it looks like we should have 5 open scholarships.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 11:14:37 AM »

Though it hasn't been updated to show Otule's probable 6th year in 2013-2014.  Including that, it looks like we should have 5 open scholarships.

Concerning this, when will we know for sure whether or not Otule gets that 6th year?

ibechillindoe

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 11:15:52 AM »

But will any of those 5 go to the class of 2013 to join Burton? Or are we full there?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 11:16:42 AM »
Concerning this, when will we know for sure whether or not Otule gets that 6th year?

I believe that's decided after the NCAA tourney by the NCAA committee. Though, it may be after his 5th year... not 100%

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 11:24:33 AM »
I believe that's decided after the NCAA tourney by the NCAA committee. Though, it may be after his 5th year... not 100%
No, it is a Conference decision.  It is cannot be officially requested until after his 5th year.  I suspect, though, Buzz laid all the ground work in advance so the decision would be a rubber stamp.  My calculated guess is that when Buzz was stating he would not do anything that was not in the long term best interest of Chris, that is what he meant.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 11:33:39 AM »
4 months ago:  http://www.premierball.com/day-1-snap-shot-of-mid-high-majors-at-fullcourt-press-all-frosh-soph-camp/
Elston Jones 6′9 Millennium (Goodyear, Arizona) Big body block prospect who can get up the floor. Not explosive but can finish at the rim. Showed of a few hooks and turn around jump shots in the key and finished well in the paint. Good motor for his size and age. Mid Major+ prospect.
Notes: Still 3 years of basketball left for Jones. Explosiveness could come.

Also from October http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/144200/elston-jones

Jones has a solid looking frame with ideal strength and length. He has long arms and very soft hands. He doesn't have great lift or quickness, but he makes up for it in skill and basketball instinct.

Here's a thread on him from the New Mexico fan board:  http://thelobolair.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34109

Interesting that he's a lefty :)

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »
No, it is a Conference decision.  It is cannot be officially requested until after his 5th year.  I suspect, though, Buzz laid all the ground work in advance so the decision would be a rubber stamp.  My calculated guess is that when Buzz was stating he would not do anything that was not in the long term best interest of Chris, that is what he meant.

Ah. totally wrong. thanks Mac

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 12:06:36 PM »
But will any of those 5 go to the class of 2013 to join Burton? Or are we full there?

We're full unless:

a) someone leaves
or
b) We decide not to hold the scholarship slot open for Otule.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 12:10:33 PM »
If Chris stays for an extra year and assuming no one departs, our next available slot is for a kid graduating HS in 2014.  But there's many assumptions in that statement.  Sensing Buzz, I wouldn't be surprised it he signed a JUCO as part of that class.  

In fact, I wouldn't be shocked that if something opened up in the next 15 months on the scholly board (not predicting that by the way) that Buzz would try to keep his JUCO pipeline strong with one 'special' guy if he were out there.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 12:35:12 PM »
If Chris stays for an extra year and assuming no one departs, our next available slot is for a kid graduating HS in 2014.  But there's many assumptions in that statement.  Sensing Buzz, I wouldn't be surprised it he signed a JUCO as part of that class.  

In fact, I wouldn't be shocked that if something opened up in the next 15 months on the scholly board (not predicting that by the way) that Buzz would try to keep his JUCO pipeline strong with one 'special' guy if he were out there.

Somebody would have to leave, this is not easy, as the upper classman are staying so it is either Derrick Wilson or Juan Anderson. Rather have both stay, but who knows.  Mayo
is going start next year or TJ Taylor at the 2, so both will be at MU.  The other situation could be a new recruit not getting the grades to get in.  Buzz will still recruit 2013 but 2014
is where there could be 5 openings.  If Buzz is going to stay in the Top 20, 2014 recruiting should be interesting.

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 12:53:21 PM »

I agree I was just thinking about this yesterday. Who cares what people think about JUCO players. Our top two players (arguably two of the best in the big east) came from JUCO schools. Not to mention JFB last year. It would be a smart move to find a top JUCO recruit for 2014 to keep the pipeline strong.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 01:14:02 PM »
I agree I was just thinking about this yesterday. Who cares what people think about JUCO players. Our top two players (arguably two of the best in the big east) came from JUCO schools. Not to mention JFB last year. It would be a smart move to find a top JUCO recruit for 2014 to keep the pipeline strong.

Not only that, but balance the classes better.  I'd put it at a near certainty that we get a premier JUCO recruit in the 2014 class.  At least I HOPE we do.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 01:15:23 PM »

Well, right now that future 2014 JUCO kid is in high school somewhere.  And again, I'm assuming no early departures AND Chris hangs around.  My JUCO point is that if I've got 5 to fill in any given year, I might not want 5 Frosh but rather maybe 4 Frosh and the JUCO player of the year.  Gotta believe that any JUCO kid would have playing for Buzz high on his 'dream list'.  I want to capitalize on that advantage.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 01:19:44 PM »

I believe that I have posted the over/under on "number of players who transfer or don't show by the tip of the 2013 season" at 2.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 01:26:05 PM »
In fact, I believe the great strength of this year's team is that we have Senior leadership that in Buzz' own words "Know how to order food by numbers" and say "Thank you, sir when you give them a T-shirt".

I'll take it one step further.  Our bus riding, Culver's eating, quarterhorses are going to kick some private airplane flying, fancy steakhouse eating, 'thoroughbreds' backsides on Saturday morning.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 01:41:40 PM »
Except we fly by charter jet as well.  I don't mind the underdog role, but let's not go overboard with it.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 01:46:20 PM »
In fact, I believe the great strength of this year's team is that we have Senior leadership that in Buzz' own words "Know how to order food by numbers" and say "Thank you, sir when you give them a T-shirt".

I'll take it one step further.  Our bus riding, Culver'sSobelman's eating, quarterhorses are going to kick some private airplane flying, fancy steakhouse eating, 'thoroughbreds' backsides on Saturday morning.

Fixed.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 02:10:51 PM »

I believe that I have posted the over/under on "number of players who transfer or don't show by the tip of the 2013 season" at 2.

Before recently I thought Jamail would be a possible transfer (not hoping, just that he got very little playing time and looked lost when he did) and Durley would not show up, at least not right away.  With Jamail showing some signs of what he can bring to the team, and his always positive attitude, and with a couple interviews/stories about Durley being released lately, I think I'll take the under.  The only person that I wonder "What about him?" about now is Ferguson, as I have heard absolutely nothing on him in months.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 02:18:04 PM »
Before recently I thought Jamail would be a possible transfer (not hoping, just that he got very little playing time and looked lost when he did) and Durley would not show up, at least not right away.  With Jamail showing some signs of what he can bring to the team, and his always positive attitude, and with a couple interviews/stories about Durley being released lately, I think I'll take the under.  The only person that I wonder "What about him?" about now is Ferguson, as I have heard absolutely nothing on him in months.

Yeah, I see where you are coming from.  But we have two off seasons to deal with potential transfers, and two classes to actually show up and qualify academically.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 02:53:11 PM »
Except we fly by charter jet as well.  I don't mind the underdog role, but let's not go overboard with it.

Sultan, sometimes you gotta let the "Germans bombed Pearl Harbor" thing roll. 

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2012, 03:42:24 PM »
Sultan, sometimes you gotta let the "Germans bombed Pearl Harbor" thing roll. 

I don't know. I realize most of our guys come from relatively poor backgrounds, but let's not act like they are ordering off the value meal and sleeping in a Motel 6...

http://twitpic.com/8cgmvs
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2012, 04:10:46 PM »
I don't know. I realize most of our guys come from relatively poor backgrounds, but let's not act like they are ordering off the value meal and sleeping in a Motel 6...

Aww, I expected that to be the pic of Todd Mayo holding up a wad of cash.  Or maybe that was just his avatar.  It was somewhere on twitter.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2012, 04:16:18 PM »

Well, not anymore......
Have some patience, FFS.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 04:18:47 PM »
Aww, I expected that to be the pic of Todd Mayo holding up a wad of cash.  Or maybe that was just his avatar.  It was somewhere on twitter.

Facebook actually...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=129838590416842&set=a.118968874837147.17703.100001721068158&type=3&theater
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

feedback