[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tarik Black... PLEASE come to Marquette!!!  (Read 49715 times)

noblewarrior

• Starter
Re: Tarik Black... PLEASE come to Marquette!!!
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2009, 10:32:45 AM »
If Tarik is set on earning a degree I'm assuming (and you know what happens when you do that) he's planing for a 3-4 year collage career unless he is so good he becomes a lotto pick after 2 years.  Several of these kids going to Memphis look as if they maybe 1 and done so maybe, and this is pure speculation, Terik would like to compete in a competitive league with a group of young men he can play side by side with for 3+ years.  It would kinda suck to have everyone who convinced you to go to a school take off after a year.   

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2009, 10:51:43 AM »
Hi there MU fans.

I must admit, it has been fun shadow reading your posts and comments about Memphis.

Whats going to be more fun is witnessing what shall transpire Tuesday of next week (possibly Wednesday, but no later than that) and checking you guys reaction.
BTW, the NCAA has imposed a rule were former high coaches cant use their players as a bargaining tool to land collegiate jobs. That sucks for you guys.   ;)

Do we really have Memphis fans here gloating?  Maybe we have some of our fans on their board talking smack I don't know.  I do know we have a Final Four this decade and Memphis doesn't.  That's right... that supposed Final Four was vacated for being cheats.  I imagine, though, the average Memphis fan really doesn't care.  Whatever it takes I guess?

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2009, 10:58:37 AM »
I don't like leaving messages on other school's boards, and I don't like when they leaves theirs here.  But I know we do it.  But I really hate any smack, bragging posts either from our side on another board, or another board coming here.

This Memphis poster quoted above need to go chill.  You guys are signing great players, and will continue to do so,  So are we.  Competition for these players is intense, so be it.  Gloating and smack talk and inferring that other schools are pushing the rules is bs. I hate it.

Memphis: if you get Tarik, congrats to you.  MU will continue to work hard to sign great kids, w/o the smack and inferences.  Maturity and integrity are such a rare things these days, and common sense, is not so common.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2009, 11:18:01 AM »
I get a kick out of the "smack" talk.  I have no problem with fans giving each other crap.  If a Memphis fan wants to come on here and brag about signing a good recruiting class he should feel free to do so.  It may be his only chance as they really can't brag about their history, the fact that they continue to come up short in FedEx's pull to get them in a Div. 1 conference, never won a championship, had their final four taken away, etc.  I like Buzz's recruiting, but the verdict is still out on whether or not he can coach.  I'd suggest waiting to see what Pastner can do with his talent before you get too excited.  
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 12:39:48 PM by avid1010 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2009, 12:33:12 PM »
Let him talk.   Hey, Memphis already has a hellacious class signed.    Pastner, like Buzz, is apparently a great recruiter.    Memphis has a storied history.    Recently, not one to be proud of, vacating the FF, being a really big fish in a really small pond, etc., but a storied history nonetheless.   Icons among ethical coaches like Dana Kirk and Larry Finch.   If Tarik Black signs with them, it will be good for them, but hardly the end of MU hoops.    So let the jackasses bray.    It is their nature.  
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 12:42:40 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2009, 01:37:32 PM »
I think its pretty funny that a Memphis fan would come over and accuse us of dirty recruiting.  Kind of like the Mafia accusing us of having unpaid parking fines.  But sadly that is what has passed for normal down there so long with Cal and the recruiting circles they ran in that I'm sure this guy just thinks that his how the rest of the world does business.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2009, 01:49:58 PM »
I think its pretty funny that a Memphis fan would come over and accuse us of dirty recruiting.  Kind of like the Mafia accusing us of having unpaid parking fines.  But sadly that is what has passed for normal down there so long with Cal and the recruiting circles they ran in that I'm sure this guy just thinks that his how the rest of the world does business.

Uh, Calipari was just the latest in a proud tradition...Dana Kirk, Larry Finch, dedicated boosters...

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2009, 02:57:44 PM »
Hopefully people will listen to what Buzz and the actual players say about his recruiting.  He never negatively recruits and there is no evidence of that unlike many Badger fans thought he did with Blue.  There is no foundation for anyone saying that Buzz was going to offere some high school coach a job at MU if Tarik Black signs. 

I think that guy is doing a little bit of psychological projecting.  As posts have mentioned, Memphis has not been the cleanest program in the country.

Black has a lot of great options in front of him.  Come play right away in the Big East with a pretty stacked team of guards and swingmen, play in the SEC for a proven coach at FL, or play with his buddies close to home like Blue and J-May are kind of doing.  It's admittedly hard for us MU fans or those guys over on the Memphis blog to see how a kid would not pick their program, but Black is looking at it from a whole other angle.   

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2009, 04:03:22 PM »
Hopefully people will listen to what Buzz and the actual players say about his recruiting.  He never negatively recruits and there is no evidence of that unlike many Badger fans thought he did with Blue.  There is no foundation for anyone saying that Buzz was going to offere some high school coach a job at MU if Tarik Black signs. 

I think that guy is doing a little bit of psychological projecting.  As posts have mentioned, Memphis has not been the cleanest program in the country.

Black has a lot of great options in front of him.  Come play right away in the Big East with a pretty stacked team of guards and swingmen, play in the SEC for a proven coach at FL, or play with his buddies close to home like Blue and J-May are kind of doing.  It's admittedly hard for us MU fans or those guys over on the Memphis blog to see how a kid would not pick their program, but Black is looking at it from a whole other angle.   

Personally, I could care less what any Memphis fan has to say about Marquette. We run a clean progam and the stench around their program over the years continues to liger. Maybe Pastner can clean it up.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2009, 04:37:14 PM »
Everything I'm reading makes it sound like he's headed to Memphis.  It's an amazing recruiting class for Pastner, and it will be interesting to see how well he can coach his talent.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2009, 07:43:06 PM »
what can you possibly reading that indicates memphis ... or mu for that matter other than some yahoo's opinion?

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #111 on: November 15, 2009, 07:56:36 PM »
what can you possibly reading that indicates memphis ... or mu for that matter other than some yahoo's opinion?

You could start with the need for a Memphis presser on Monday, Twitter accounts, etc.  I hope I'm wrong, but if I'm not at least Buzz will have finished second which makes him a stud in your eyes  ?-(

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #112 on: November 15, 2009, 08:05:02 PM »
Well, a Memphis presser on Monday certainly can mean a Black signing - but they are involved with lots of other players too . . . but I agree that at least the rumors and indicators like the presser put some doubt about TB coming to MU - but again, who knows?

We don't.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #113 on: November 15, 2009, 08:21:09 PM »
The message board over at Memphis had a title line that says that Black will sign on Tuesday.  It does not say where he will sign, but rather that he will sign.  People are taking it to mean that he will sign at Memphis because their board has a thread saying that.  Had muscoop made a thread saying that Black will sign on Tuesday, then people might infer that he was coming here.  Who knows where the Twitter accounts got their info from.  The twitter guys could have been making that same inference.

Memphis may have a presser on Monday to announce all of their other guys.  If they knew that they were going to sign another top 50 player, why not wait until Tuesday? 

Black seems like a good, hardworking kid (based solely on his youtube interview).  He seems like he has the character Buzz is looking for, not to mention the skill set.  Hopefully he makes the right choice for himself and his family and all of this hoopla can be over for him.  He sounded like he wanted to be patient and wait until spring, but all of this hype around his decision came about. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #114 on: November 15, 2009, 08:32:35 PM »
The message board over at Memphis had a title line that says that Black will sign on Tuesday.  It does not say where he will sign, but rather that he will sign.  People are taking it to mean that he will sign at Memphis because their board has a thread saying that.  Had muscoop made a thread saying that Black will sign on Tuesday, then people might infer that he was coming here.  Who knows where the Twitter accounts got their info from.  The twitter guys could have been making that same inference.

Memphis may have a presser on Monday to announce all of their other guys.  If they knew that they were going to sign another top 50 player, why not wait until Tuesday? 

Black seems like a good, hardworking kid (based solely on his youtube interview).  He seems like he has the character Buzz is looking for, not to mention the skill set.  Hopefully he makes the right choice for himself and his family and all of this hoopla can be over for him.  He sounded like he wanted to be patient and wait until spring, but all of this hype around his decision came about. 

I'm going off of this (http://twitter.com/Greg_Gaston) and a few other comments I've read.  I hope this guy is wrong, and it sounds like he has been in the past, but Memphis seems very confident.  We'll see.

Shooter Flatch

• Starter
« Reply #115 on: November 15, 2009, 08:33:36 PM »
Why have a presser on Monday for a Tuesday signing?  They can't talk about a verbal.

hojm

• Walk-On
« Reply #116 on: November 15, 2009, 09:30:49 PM »
Where do you see a Memphis presser scheduled for Monday?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2009, 08:45:19 AM »
No matter the outcome of this, I consider it a minor victory for MU. The fact that by all accounts the decision of this kid, from Memphis, with his combination of size and ability, appears to have come down to Memphis and MU is borderline remarkable. When rumblings of his interest in MU first surfaced, I more or less blew it off as having no chance. Regardless of what he decides, it certainly seems that was not the case.

Obviously, players leave their home towns all the time, but in my opinion, should he choose MU, it will be one of the more remarkable signings in decades, even more so than Vander Blue, given where he comes from. That's why I say this is a small victory no matter what.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2009, 09:29:55 AM »
should he choose MU, it will be one of the more remarkable signings in decades, even more so than Vander Blue,

I wouldn't go that far, but the trend is something to be excited about.  In about 1.5 years under Buzz, we have had a bunch of top 50 recruits to come to campus (thinking back to that 5-star shooting guard who ended up choosing FL State) and we landed one in Vander Blue.  This is in addition to our normal pace of having a few 4-star top-150 type players coming.  That is pretty good progress if Buzz can keep that up and hopefully improve on it.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2009, 10:05:44 AM »
I wouldn't go that far, but the trend is something to be excited about. 

I base that comment primarily on geography and precedent. Blue was from Wisconsin/Madison, and Wes Matthews and Maymon had already blazed the trail of Memorial players spurning UW-Madison to attend MU. Getting a high quality player from Memphis' back yard is something that doesn't happen at MU, or any other school for that matter.

CUSA_NEWS

• Walk-On
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2009, 01:39:11 PM »
Guys, tis been a wonderful Monday so far!

:)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2009, 01:41:32 PM »

Yeah it has.  I just put my replica Final Four ring on my desk at work  ;D

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2009, 01:57:46 PM »
Yeah it has.  I just put my replica Final Four ring on my desk at work  ;D

+1

I believe our C-USA lurker said he was going to enjoy reading our reactions.  Wow, I guess the "Good luck Tarik" comments in the "Black to Memphis" thread really made it worth his/her while.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2009, 02:26:08 PM »
Hi there MU fans.
 the NCAA has imposed a rule were former high coaches cant use their players as a bargaining tool to land collegiate jobs. That sucks for you guys.   ;)

Hello there... 
Question: Do players still have to take their own entrance exams? I think so.
Sucks for you guys.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2009, 02:31:27 PM »

Why, did FedEx finally buy Memphis a real conference?  I didn't see that news.

I read the Memphis board a bit this weekend.  It's cute how you guys egg each other on to post some trash talking on other teams threads.  Now run on back to your boyfriend and tell him the job is done.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 02:36:09 PM by avid1010 »

feedback