'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Coach K on COVID-19  (Read 9548 times)

MU82

• All American
Coach K on COVID-19
« on: December 09, 2020, 08:19:47 AM »
Of playing basketball while COVID-19 rages throughout the country, Coach K says: “I don’t think it feels right to anybody."

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/article247712235.html?ac_cid=DM340269&ac_bid=-1200110598

While Mike Krzyzewski watched Illinois dominate his Duke basketball team at Cameron Indoor Stadium Tuesday night, the coronavirus pandemic took another ACC team off the court.

During Illinois’ 83-68 win over the Blue Devils in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge, ESPN announced the Virginia-Michigan State game scheduled for Wednesday night as part of the event won’t be played.

Virginia has COVID-19 issues within its program, so the game that was supposed to be played in Charlottesville, Virginia, is off.

“I don’t think it feels right to anybody,” Krzyzewski said. “I mean, everyone is concerned.”

Virginia joined Louisville, Wake Forest and N.C. State among ACC basketball teams having to pause their programs this week due to positive COVID-19 cases and contract tracing.

Krzyzewski pointed to the rising numbers of cases and deaths around the country. North Carolina has set records for daily new cases and hospitalizations this week, causing Gov. Roy Cooper to implement a curfew from 10 p.m.-5 a.m. daily beginning Friday.

The NCAA started the season on Nov. 25 hoping to get as many games in as possible to set things up for the NCAA tournament in March.

“I know the NCAA is worried about the end game,” Krzyzewski said. “They’re not as worried about the game we’re playing right now.”

Krzyzewski made the comments in response to a reporter’s question during his postgame news conference early Wednesday morning following Duke’s second loss in its last three games. The Blue Devils fell behind 17-4 and never drew closer than eight points against an Illinois team Krzyzewski said was “better than we are.”

He knows speaking up about the viability of trying to get games played while COVID-19 cases and deaths are surging around the country, at a time when his team isn’t playing well, will draw him criticism.

“I know somebody will take what I’m saying tonight, and make it like I’m making excuses,” Krzyzewski said. “I don’t make excuses. We need to get a lot better. But for the good of the game, and the good of the safety and mental and physical health of our players and staff and whatever, we need to constantly look at this thing. And I think that’s, I think that’s a smart thing to do.”

Games that count in the ACC regular-season standings are scheduled to start next week. Each team is set to play 20 league games. Schools are preparing to keep their players on campus over the holiday break to limit them from coronavirus exposure so the games can be played.

“Do I think things should be done a little bit differently?” Krzyzewski said. “Yeah. I mean, you know, a lot of kids, kids aren’t gonna be able to go home for Christmas, probably a time where they should for mental health. We’re just plowing through this.”

+++
+++

Yes, I have to admit that one of my first thoughts after seeing the headline was that K might not be reacting quite this way if he had one of his dominant, championship-favorite teams. Then I got mad at myself for thinking that.

K is probably the most powerful, influential coach in all of college sports. If he truly thinks that something else needs to be done, or that college kids shouldn't be playing basketball now, he could do something about it.

I mean, if Coach K pulled Duke basketball from competition -- "Enough. I care too much about these kids and their families to put them through this." -- wouldn't it make an incredible statement, one that the powers-that-be would have to address?

I'm not saying that's what he should do. Like everybody else, I don't have answers for all this. Just saying it's not as if he is powerless to affect change.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 09:07:39 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Coach K on COVID-19
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 09:05:33 AM »
A couple of points:

1) I don't mean to be Machiavellian, but if Coach K had a contender for the National Championship,  I don't think Coach K's tune would be the same. I can only imagine the pressure he is under every year, given Duke's prestige and its history as a CBB power. Sounds to me as if Coach K is whining a little bit and making excuses for a particularly bad loss to Illinois.

2) To my point, please see Michigan, University of, Contest with tOSU Buckeyes this Saturday. Some, including Kirk Herbstreit, have suggested Michigan's surrender is less about Covid-19 and more about the fear of being drubbed yet again by tOSU. I have to admit, the thought crossed my mind.

3) Keep in mind that while the general population gets to go home for Christmas, many have been "confined to quarters" in residence halls for extended periods during the academic year. That's happened with us at Schroeder Hall this year. I don't begrudge anyone the chance to return home for Christmas, but keep in mind that basketball players are scholarship athletes and their jobs entail some hardship.

4) Sorry to see the Battle of the Hausers, Michigan State and Virginia, called off. Would like to have seen Sam manhandle Joey a few times!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 09:07:52 AM »

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 09:10:23 AM »
A couple of points:

1) I don't mean to be Machiavellian, but if Coach K had a contender for the National Championship,  I don't think Coach K's tune would be the same. I can only imagine the pressure he is under every year, given Duke's prestige and its history as a CBB power. Sounds to me as if Coach K is whining a little bit and making excuses for a particularly bad loss to Illinois.

2) To my point, please see Michigan, University of, Contest with tOSU Buckeyes this Saturday. Some, including Kirk Herbstreit, have suggested Michigan's surrender is less about Covid-19 and more about the fear of being drubbed yet again by tOSU. I have to admit, the thought crossed my mind.

3) Keep in mind that while the general population gets to go home for Christmas, many have been "confined to quarters" in residence halls for extended periods during the academic year. That's happened with us at Schroeder Hall this year. I don't begrudge anyone the chance to return home for Christmas, but keep in mind that basketball players are scholarship athletes and their jobs entail some hardship.

4) Sorry to see the Battle of the Hausers, Michigan State and Virginia, called off. Would like to have seen Sam manhandle Joey a few times!

Right when I saw the article/video, I thought the same exact thing as your first point. Easy to complain after a loss. Almost like he's just making an excuse.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 09:10:58 AM »
Wait you mean Duke stinks after a few games and coach K comes out with this take? Didn’t he also say the ncaa tournament should let every team in this year too?!

Classic coach k

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 09:11:15 AM »
A couple of points:

1) Exactly what I said was my knee-jerk response. I'm trying real hard to give K the benefit of the doubt, though.

2) The thought not only crossed my mind, it entered my mind and set up camp there.

3) Well, the NCAA has argued forever, and courts have upheld (so far), that playing sports for scholarships is not a "job" at all. Most of us know differently, of course, and change is on the horizon.

4) Who? Probably wasn't gonna watch it, and now I won't even accidentally happen upon it.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 09:17:33 AM »
3) Well, the NCAA has argued forever, and courts have upheld (so far), that playing sports for scholarships is not a "job" at all. Most of us know differently, of course, and change is on the horizon.

Agree change is coming. Can hardly wait for the Internal Revenue Service to get their grubby little tax hands on a percentage of the value that is the barter transaction between the "student-athlete" and the "member university."

Will it solve the federal budget deficit? No. Will it make a point? Absolutely!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 09:23:23 AM »
For those who claim teams intentionally have games cancelled due to covid to avoid getting blown out by a rival, what do you suggest they are doing?  Sending their players to covid parties so they don't have enough players to play?  Faking positive test results?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 09:32:16 AM »
I think Virginia got Covid so Joey would not have bragging rights over Sam.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 09:34:06 AM »
Expand it beyond Duke ...

Kentucky is 1 - 3
Duke is 2 - 2
UNC is 3 - 2

If the three of them banded together and called off play, they could single-handily end the season for everyone.

If these three were 5 - 0 and all three ranked in the top five (as opposed to all three looking like they will be unranked soon, Kentucky is not even getting votes now), I also think they would have a different tune
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 09:35:51 AM by Heisenberg v2.0 »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 09:46:57 AM »
Coach K Wanting To Quit The Season Now That Everyone Knows Duke Sucks Is So Coach K It Hurts
https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3158763/coach-k-wanting-to-quit-the-season-now-that-everyone-knows-duke-sucks-is-so-coach-k-it-hurts

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 10:06:29 AM »
Interesting that when Markus, or DJ, or Jose talk about mental health issues, everyone here commends them and does their best to create a positive environment, but when Coach K does its just an excuse for his team not being as good as they've been in years past.  Way to Be The Difference

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 10:27:19 AM »
Interesting that when Markus, or DJ, or Jose talk about mental health issues, everyone here commends them and does their best to create a positive environment, but when Coach K does its just an excuse for his team not being as good as they've been in years past.  Way to Be The Difference

It's because Coach K has a track record of suffering health maladies whenever his program has a down year.

panda

• All American

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2020, 11:28:44 AM »
It's because Coach K has a track record of suffering health maladies whenever his program has a down year.

This.  If he had legit concerns, he could have aired them before the season started rather than after Duke has been curb stomped twice in two weeks.  Considering he said the NCAA couldn't miss another tournament in consecutive years prior to the season starting and given his history of having problems when Duke stinks, count me as highly skeptical of his motives.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2020, 12:43:41 PM »
Agree change is coming. Can hardly wait for the Internal Revenue Service to get their grubby little tax hands on a percentage of the value that is the barter transaction between the "student-athlete" and the "member university."

Will it solve the federal budget deficit? No. Will it make a point? Absolutely!

Didn't know that you or anybody else thought it was supposed to "solve the federal budget deficit." Do you getting paid for your job "solve the federal budget deficit"?

Anyhoo, that's not what this thread is about.

So far, folks are more than just a little skeptical, and that's probably the right take.

As I said, if K really was concerned about it, he'd just end his team's season to set an example for the rest of college hoops. Forgoing his salary, of course.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2020, 02:03:36 PM »
Brother MU

I was being a bit snarky.

The big question is whether ballplayers have obligations apart from ordinary students. The answer is, "yes," and I made the observation that I thought playing basketball is a job. Among the ballplayers on our team I knew "back in the day," most would agree with that point. They have obligations and expectations far greater than the average student, even if the IRS and NCAA define the scholarship to serve the NCAA's economic interests.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2020, 02:06:04 PM »
Brother MU

I was being a bit snarky.

The big question is whether ballplayers have obligations apart from ordinary students. The answer is, "yes," and I made the observation that I thought playing basketball is a job. Among the ballplayers on our team I knew "back in the day," most would agree with that point. They have obligations and expectations far greater than the average student, even if the IRS and NCAA define the scholarship to serve the NCAA's economic interests.

We are in agreement here.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2020, 02:16:26 PM »
Coach K could punch Jesus in the junk and I wouldn’t care.  2015 title game absolves all sins
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2020, 02:48:47 PM »
Just heard the audio on Sirius XM. It was rough. Just wines after loses.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2020, 03:13:52 PM »
Just heard the audio on Sirius XM. It was rough. Just wines after loses.

He was drunk too?!?

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2020, 03:43:56 PM »
Coach K could punch Jesus in the junk and I wouldn’t care.  2015 title game absolves all sins

Yep,  Grayson  Allen
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2020, 06:36:15 PM »
Nobody knows how to use health concerns to distract from, or excuse poor performance, like Coach K, except maybe Urban Meyer.  I expect Duke to get thrashed by FSU in a few weeks while throwing a bunch of bricks up from 3 and K’s back will suddenly start acting up again

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2020, 07:44:41 PM »
Coach K blows. Say it, its not hard. Coach K blows, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2020, 07:50:49 PM »
Expand it beyond Duke ...

Kentucky is 1 - 3
Duke is 2 - 2
UNC is 3 - 2

If the three of them banded together and called off play, they could single-handily end the season for everyone.

No they couldn't.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow