'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: This whole Judas thing....  (Read 12712 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: This whole Judas thing....
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2008, 03:59:28 PM »
Hards, maybe you don't understand  but the bottom line with Judas is that he forgot about his men, including the 4 guys he made a promise to last fall. You always take care of your men. Clearly, Judas doesn't get that or he would've handled things much differently. This guy will never be a wingman because no one should ever trust him. It's Indiana...It's Indiana. Give me a friggin' break

Look, I understand the bottom line, but this is a business.  If you don't understand that this is a business, not a brotherhood, that is your journey.  I don't agree with the way he handled things, but even the comparison to Judas is a bit of a stretch.  Judas betrayed Jesus, TC more or less abandoned his squad... quite a difference if context means anything anymore... which in the modern world, it apparently doesn't... up is now down, left is now right, and so on and so forth.

TC did get take care of his men by training them well, coaching them (not so well in my opinion), and by getting them a great education....  He left them to advance his own career... boo hoo.  It isn't like the kids are losing out on anything that special with TC gone.  If anything, HE was the one holding them back... so perhaps, he did them a favor ;)

warthogdriver

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2008, 04:42:05 PM »
Hards,

I understand this is a business but, unlike an accountant leaving PWC, a college basketball coach has much more personal allegiances, particularly to his players. If a guy leaves PepsiCo, he walks out the door. If a college coach leaves, he has far greater turn-over duties than in the private commercial sector. Here in the USAF, when it's my turn to hand over the reins of this squadron, I have an extensive check list that we will go through in order to ensure a smooth, comprehensive turn-over. Unlike the commercial private sector, my wife and I are actively involved in the lives and affairs of my people. She takes care of the families when we are deployed to the sand box. If a young airman screws up with a local creditor I get called. If he has a police issue, it's my phone that rings at 0300. That level of involvement does not happen at PepsiCo, for instance.

I was sent to the HBS MBA program. Classmates from Harvard have asked me to speak at their off-sites (PepsiCo, BCG, Bain.) The subject is leadership. I have shared perspective on how we are much more involved in the personal and professional lives of our people, unlike at Bain or BCG. I compare this responsibility to that of Judas's at MU - he took full respsonsibility for the growth and development of his men. He was much more involved in their lives, well-being, and growth than just being a teacher.

Let me make this clear: I have no problem that he left MU for IU. You're right - that's business. I have a huge problem with the sneaky, underhanded way in which he did it, particularly the manner in which he disengaged. It was chicken-crap and he knew it. If you make the decision to leave, handle it with dignity and class. More important, take care of the people who signed up for your program. Crean is gutless and spineless and he betrayed his men. He should be ashamed but I think he has no problem at all getting his beauty rest.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 04:48:05 PM by warthogdriver »

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2008, 05:23:37 PM »
Wait...warthog...you're in the military? I had no idea.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2008, 05:39:01 PM »
Hards,

I understand this is a business but, unlike an accountant leaving PWC, a college basketball coach has much more personal allegiances, particularly to his players. If a guy leaves PepsiCo, he walks out the door. If a college coach leaves, he has far greater turn-over duties than in the private commercial sector. Here in the USAF, when it's my turn to hand over the reins of this squadron, I have an extensive check list that we will go through in order to ensure a smooth, comprehensive turn-over. Unlike the commercial private sector, my wife and I are actively involved in the lives and affairs of my people. She takes care of the families when we are deployed to the sand box. If a young airman screws up with a local creditor I get called. If he has a police issue, it's my phone that rings at 0300. That level of involvement does not happen at PepsiCo, for instance.

I was sent to the HBS MBA program. Classmates from Harvard have asked me to speak at their off-sites (PepsiCo, BCG, Bain.) The subject is leadership. I have shared perspective on how we are much more involved in the personal and professional lives of our people, unlike at Bain or BCG. I compare this responsibility to that of Judas's at MU - he took full respsonsibility for the growth and development of his men. He was much more involved in their lives, well-being, and growth than just being a teacher.

Let me make this clear: I have no problem that he left MU for IU. You're right - that's business. I have a huge problem with the sneaky, underhanded way in which he did it, particularly the manner in which he disengaged. It was chicken-crap and he knew it. If you make the decision to leave, handle it with dignity and class. More important, take care of the people who signed up for your program. Judas is gutless and spineless and he betrayed his men. He should be ashamed but I think he has no problem at all getting his beauty rest.

well, I'm sorry, but I live in reality where this sort of thing happens all the time.  Contracts are rarely, if ever, lived up to in the world of sports nowadays.  Yes, we all yearn for the days where there was loyalty and honor, but this just isn't the case currently... There are no more Al's there are no more Naismith's.  We are left with a pool of mercenaries which we have to select from and hope they stick around. 

But, I will agree, as I have in the past, I don't like the way he left either, and I agree it was sneaky.  I just suppose it is in me to let things go quickly and move on and forgive (perhaps as Jesus taught us?).  If everyone else wants to lower themselves to name calling, that is their perogative... but count me out, I prefer the intelligent high road.  8-)

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
This is like the Seinfeld episode where Jerry liked to make fun of his girlfriend's belly button..."HELLOOO...LALALA"
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2008, 07:15:07 PM »
Look, I understand the bottom line, but this is a business.  If you don't understand that this is a business, not a brotherhood, that is your journey.  I don't agree with the way he handled things, but even the comparison to Judas is a bit of a stretch.  Judas betrayed Jesus, TC more or less abandoned his squad... quite a difference if context means anything anymore... which in the modern world, it apparently doesn't... up is now down, left is now right, and so on and so forth.

TC did get take care of his men by training them well, coaching them (not so well in my opinion), and by getting them a great education....  He left them to advance his own career... boo hoo.  It isn't like the kids are losing out on anything that special with TC gone.  If anything, HE was the one holding them back... so perhaps, he did them a favor ;)

Sorry if you're offended, Mrs. Crean.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2008, 07:20:36 PM »

He is?  I thought 'warthogdriver' was a Halo reference.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2008, 08:51:43 PM »
He is?  I thought 'warthogdriver' was a Halo reference.

Come to think of it, Rawdog has been known to be a "warthog driver" once or twice before.  ;D

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2008, 10:20:36 AM »

Sorry if you're offended, Mrs. Judas.

I'm not offended, I was just pointing out that its childish, kiddo.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2008, 11:22:43 AM »

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2008, 03:58:41 PM »
Is there any chance in hell that Tom Crean even reads this board?
We Are Marquette

warthogdriver

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2008, 07:19:14 PM »
"Marquette? Are you referring to the town up in the UP?"

We are so far off his radar he could care less about Marquette. How else do you account for his behavior and how he treated his men. Tom Crean is a self-absorbed ass.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2008, 12:48:19 AM »
What are you guys talking about.. who is this Judas? If you mean Crean why not just say so? ;)
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2008, 02:37:01 AM »
Yes!  It is over!  Although it is interesting to see who typed Judas and who typed Crean.

feedback