[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129363 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #8825 on: November 05, 2020, 07:22:04 PM »
Steve Bannon: I'd Put Anthony Fauci's Head On A Pike As A 'Warning' "That's how you win the revolution," said Trump's former strategist.

Former White House strategist Steve Bannon on Thursday discussed the imagined beheadings of infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci and FBI Director Christopher Wray, saying he would like to put their “heads on pikes” outside the White House as a “warning.”

Bannon continued, “I’d actually like to go back to the old times of Tudor England. I’d put the heads on pikes. I’d put them at the two corners of the White House as a warning to federal bureaucrats,” he explained, as Media Matters for America first reported.
“You either get with the program or you’re gone ― time to stop playing games,” Bannon added. “Blow it all up.”

Bannon’s co-host Jack Maxey appeared to agree, indicating that the men were “traitors.”

“You know what, Steve, yesterday there was the anniversary of the hanging of two Tories in Philadelphia,” Maxey said. “These were Quaker businessmen who had cohabitated, if you will, with the British while they were occupying Philadelphia. These people were hung. This is what we used to do to traitors.”

Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, has urged the public to follow strict measures to combat the coronavirus. 

In August, he said that Tucker Carlson’s rhetoric on Fox News had prompted “some of the crazies in society to start threatening me.” Fauci is currently protected by extra government security after receiving death threats.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8826 on: November 05, 2020, 07:29:08 PM »
Two not-great trends, from McClatchey News ...

++ New confirmed cases of the coronavirus in the United States are at an all-time high of more than 86,000 a day on average, and hospitalizations are setting records all around the country as winter approaches. Daily new cases have surged 45% over the past two weeks, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. Deaths are up 15 percent, to an average of 846 every day.

++ A new study of more than 3,000 health-care workers found that coronavirus antibodies decline by half in just under three months and disappear after about four and a half. The findings suggest people might not be able to depend on antibodies as protection from a second infection. After several studies, it remains unclear what level of immunity they provide and for how long.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #8827 on: November 05, 2020, 08:08:46 PM »

Great. Still 'winning'....

At this point, I'm starting to fear that we are all doomed to get it, because of the President. It is out of control right now, and getting worse, and I don't see him doing anything to help fix this.

The number of people I know that have gotten it recently, with no clue where they were even exposed is getting a bit frightening.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8828 on: November 05, 2020, 08:13:19 PM »
At this point, I'm starting to fear that we are all doomed to get it, because of the President. It is out of control right now, and getting worse, and I don't see him doing anything to help fix this.

The number of people I know that have gotten it recently, with no clue where they were even exposed is getting a bit frightening.

Ditto. I have two co-workers who are positive with no clue where they got it.

Heading into the Holidays too. It’s gonna be rough.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8829 on: November 05, 2020, 08:35:45 PM »

I'm not quite as similar.  But until the past couple weeks, I've only known a few coworkers and a couple 3rd parties.  Past 2 weeks though, I know a few friends that have it, and a few friends and neighbors that are quarantining due to exposure.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8830 on: November 05, 2020, 09:05:06 PM »

Yeah. I was saying this 6 months ago.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8831 on: November 05, 2020, 09:33:00 PM »
Counties with the worst COVID surges overwhelmingly voted for Trump.
It's almost as if there's a connection.

https://abc7chicago.com/politics/counties-with-worst-covid-19-surges-overwhelmingly-voted-trump/7683127/
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 09:36:57 PM by Pakuni »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8832 on: November 05, 2020, 09:34:05 PM »
It's almost as there's a connection.

https://abc7chicago.com/politics/counties-with-worst-covid-19-surges-overwhelmingly-voted-trump/7683127/

China’s fault.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8833 on: November 05, 2020, 09:51:19 PM »
It's almost as if there's a connection.

Natural selection can be brutal, hey?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8834 on: November 05, 2020, 10:34:25 PM »
120,000+

The killer is getting his wish.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8835 on: November 06, 2020, 06:02:37 AM »
Yeah. I was saying this 6 months ago.

Oh, we know, you've beaten that dead horse for 6 months.  We all know it, but you just say it every day like it's new information.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8836 on: November 06, 2020, 06:03:27 AM »
Two not-great trends, from McClatchey News ...

++ New confirmed cases of the coronavirus in the United States are at an all-time high of more than 86,000 a day on average, and hospitalizations are setting records all around the country as winter approaches. Daily new cases have surged 45% over the past two weeks, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. Deaths are up 15 percent, to an average of 846 every day.

++ A new study of more than 3,000 health-care workers found that coronavirus antibodies decline by half in just under three months and disappear after about four and a half. The findings suggest people might not be able to depend on antibodies as protection from a second infection. After several studies, it remains unclear what level of immunity they provide and for how long.

While that is concerning, have there been studies done on the memory T cells that produce the antibodies? 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8837 on: November 06, 2020, 07:26:50 AM »
Oh, we know, you've beaten that dead horse for 6 months.  We all know it, but you just say it every day like it's new information.

And forgetful at least adds value to his posts and isn’t just the same talking point after talking point, day after day.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8838 on: November 06, 2020, 08:01:12 AM »
While that is concerning, have there been studies done on the memory T cells that produce the antibodies?

I don't know, Hards. I don't pretend to be an expert on any of this, which is why I am very interested in what the actual experts say.

P.S.: Politicians don't qualify as "experts"! (And I'm not saying you claim otherwise.)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #8839 on: November 06, 2020, 08:45:58 AM »

That's the convo I keep seeing, and it keeps going like this:

1. Antibodies dissipate in just a few months
2. Does that mean that vaccines won't work?
3. Antibodies don't necessarily need to be present for a body to have an immune response to a virus, but we aren't sure yet. Give us some time
4. THE VACCINE WON'T WORK AND THAT'S WHY WE SHOULD BE AIMING FOR HERD IMMUNITY
5. Dude, literally nobody said that and you're an idiot

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8840 on: November 06, 2020, 08:48:44 AM »

Sort of. Memory T cells recognize the virus much more quickly than native T cells, and they help neutralize the virus. Antibody production comes from memory B cells. But the gist of your comment is valid: our response to a second exposure can be much more vigorous, even if we don't have detectable antibody levels prior to the second exposure.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/05/covid-immune-response-much-faster-and-stronger-post-infection-coronavirus-scientists-say

When people are infected with coronavirus, the immune system launches a multi-pronged attack. One form of protection comes from T cells, which seek and destroy infected cells, and so prevent the virus from spreading. A second front involves B cells, which release antibodies into the blood. Antibodies latch on to the virus and stop it from invading cells in the first place.

------------

For a more complete (but not covid-specific) discussion of the complex interaction of B and T cells (including the 'memory' versions thereof):

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6102609/

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #8841 on: November 06, 2020, 09:32:08 AM »
The current Nat Geo magazine is all about COVID.
They had a one page summary on a vaccine development.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8842 on: November 06, 2020, 10:55:40 AM »

Obviously we (I) are not saying it often enough or loudly enough. Hundreds of thousands of deaths speak to that sentiment. Pushing herd immunity shows we haven’t said it often/loudly enough.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8843 on: November 06, 2020, 10:57:26 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 11:09:08 AM by rocky_warrior »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #8844 on: November 06, 2020, 11:11:37 AM »
Obviously we (I) are not saying it often enough or loudly enough. Hundreds of thousands of deaths speak to that sentiment. Pushing herd immunity shows we haven’t said it often/loudly enough.

I think if your goal is what you say above, one more post on the MU Basketball COVID child board is not going to accomplish it. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8845 on: November 06, 2020, 11:12:45 AM »
I think if your goal is what you say above, one more post on the MU Basketball COVID child board is not going to accomplish it. 

EXACTLY.  WE'RE A BUNCH OF OLD MEN (AND WOMEN) YELLING AT THE CLOUDS HERE.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8846 on: November 06, 2020, 12:29:23 PM »
The current Nat Geo magazine is all about COVID.
They had a one page summary on a vaccine development.

That timeline seems far more realistic than the rosy predictions we have been hearing from the Administration.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8848 on: November 06, 2020, 03:21:38 PM »

That timeline seems far more realistic than the rosy predictions we have been hearing from the Administration.

I think that if you ignore the White House, the timeline has been pretty consistent and probably fairly accurate.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8849 on: November 06, 2020, 06:30:44 PM »
EXACTLY.  WE'RE A BUNCH OF OLD MEN (AND WOMEN) YELLING AT THE CLOUDS HERE.

As Mick Jagger surely says, "Hey you kids, get off of my clouds!"

feedback