[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lunardi with some bulletin board material for our guys...  (Read 2233 times)

wardle2wade

• All American
Lunardi with some bulletin board material for our guys...
« on: March 21, 2011, 02:29:36 PM »
On the "Experts" panel on ESPNU today...

Joe Lunardi:  "I don't think there's a guy on Marquette who could crack the top on UNC.  I think this is an easy win for the Tar Heels."  Also said UNC dodged a bullet vs Washington and their length.

On the other hand, Dino Gaudio was very complimentary saying the MU players are junkyard dogs and Marquette is one of the toughest teams in the country.  Dino believes UNC is in for a real challenge.

Personally, I have full faith that MU will prove Joey wrong and compete this weekend... I don't believe UNC's defense is anywhere as good as Syracuse.

Should be a fun one.

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: Lunardi with some bulletin board material for our guys...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 02:31:58 PM »
I know this much, UNC better bring their hardhats and lunch pails.  If they try to win pretty they're gonna get punched in the mouth.
No Finish Line

Wade for President

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 04:24:18 PM »
I know this much, UNC better bring their hardhats and lunch pails.  If they try to win pretty they're gonna get punched in the mouth.

So true.  Que the heavy rotations.

Friday can't come soon enough!

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 04:27:56 PM »
I know this much, UNC better bring their hardhats and lunch pails.  If they try to win pretty they're gonna get punched in the mouth.

That's cause it ain't a beauty contest!!  At the risk of sounding like a fanboy again of Buzz - I've got to say if you are Roy Williams and saw that halftime interview of Buzz - you pretty much know his team is going to be f'in bring it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 04:34:24 PM by Ners »
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

JD

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 04:29:11 PM »
That's cause it ain't a beauty contest!!  At the risk of sounding like a fanboy again of Buzz - I've got to say if you are Roy Williams and say that halftime interview of Buzz - you pretty much know his team is going to be f'in bring it.

Did you have a link to the interview?

Thanks.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

nyg

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
Need to get Zeller and Barnes in some foul trouble and MU will have a shot.  Their frontline of Barnes, Zeller and Henson are very talented, but not as deep as you would expect.  Would be great to make Lunardi eat his words.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 04:36:40 PM »
Need to get Zeller and Barnes in some foul trouble and MU will have a shot.  Their frontline of Barnes, Zeller and Henson are very talented, but not as deep as you would expect.  Would be great to make Lunardi eat his words.

I can Gardner getting in for a few minutes when Henson is out of the game..Henson's length could cause DG problems.  I can see Gardner abusing Zeller thru his brute strength - much the way he did Plumlee and Duke.  Jimmy can neutralize Barnes - this a $$$$ opportunity for JFB - he shuts Barnes down..his stock keeps going up.  Buzz will play that up...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 04:55:36 PM »
Granted I haven't seen a ton of UNC games, but it doesn't seem like they play defense at all.  I like our chances against anyone in run out, high scoring game.  Especially if our D can continue to be tough and force turnovers.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 05:04:40 PM »
Granted I haven't seen a ton of UNC games, but it doesn't seem like they play defense at all.  I like our chances against anyone in run out, high scoring game.  Especially if our D can continue to be tough and force turnovers.

That's not really the case, I suspect because they play so fast that people don't realize just how good their defense is. They have the 8th most efficient defense in the country according to kenpom.com. You don't get that by playing bad defense.

Looking at their losses this year, 4/7 came to teams that played significantly slower than UNC's #16-rated tempo. Those losses were all to teams at 141 or lower on the tempo chart (Minnesota, Vandy, Illinois, Texas). Their other three losses were to Georgia Tech and Duke twice. I think Duke can be chalked up to simple talent. Georgia Tech I'm not so sure, just seems like UNC was awful on offense, shooting below 28% for the game. If I were Buzz, that's the game I'd look at. Teams that play really fast but lack UNC's talent tend to stay in the game against them but lose at the end (see Washington, Long Beach State). We need to play it at our pace, maybe slow them down a bit, and crack down on defense.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.