collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wisconsin Timber Rattlers  (Read 1639 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
« on: September 15, 2016, 07:31:20 PM »
Has anybody heard how the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers came to be and the Ken Griffey Jr./A Rod/David Ortiz home run derby in Appleton?  I had never heard it until today.  Unbelievable.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
Re: Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 07:34:05 PM »
I've heard the story of the home run derby.   I go to a bunch of West Michigan Whitecaps games and I think that story was in one of our programs.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 07:57:27 AM »
Has anybody heard how the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers came to be and the Ken Griffey Jr./A Rod/David Ortiz home run derby in Appleton?  I had never heard it until today.  Unbelievable.

How they came to be?  When I was growing up 30 years ago, half the Midwest League was based in Wisconsin. Madison, Wausau and Kenosha had teams. Beloit and Appleton are all that's left.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 04:43:17 PM »
One of the really fun features of being a fan of minor league baseball is seeing players before they become big MLB stars...

My Dad and Mom used to regale me with stories of the Minneapolis Millers and Saint Paul Saints...including my Dad noting the all time Millers outfield was.....Willie Mays, Ted Williams and Carl Yastrzemski....wow

http://www.startribune.com/millers-saints-were-gateway-to-the-majors-for-baseball-stars/266355821/

Did y'all see any players in the minors before they became big stars?
Please share your favs
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 08:04:56 PM »
One of the really fun features of being a fan of minor league baseball is seeing players before they become big MLB stars...

My Dad and Mom used to regale me with stories of the Minneapolis Millers and Saint Paul Saints...including my Dad noting the all time Millers outfield was.....Willie Mays, Ted Williams and Carl Yastrzemski....wow

http://www.startribune.com/millers-saints-were-gateway-to-the-majors-for-baseball-stars/266355821/

Please share your favs

Only person I can claim is Mike Trout. Saw him when I was living in Salt Lake City. He was called up a week or two after I saw him and he went on to win Rookie of the Year.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 08:19:08 PM »
Earl, Doc, and Walter were conselors at Rick's basketball camp at DeSales long before dey were Warriors, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

chicosblindbodydouble

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 11:21:43 PM »
The Midwest League includes the Beloit Snappers.  The President and GM is Dennis Conerton, who owned the house my wife and I rented in Wauwatosa back in the late 1990's prior to our son being born.  Great guy, Marquette alumnus if I recall. He is still the GM today, I believe.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 06:21:50 AM »
A friend of mine roomed with and played ball with Mickey hatcher at Mesa community college in the early '70's. ya never know who you're rubbin shoulders with along the way.  Along the same vein, I think I mentioned here once before, my cousin was roomies with tommy thibs at Salem state in the early '80's and look at him now.  To him, he's just one of the guys
don't...don't don't don't don't

brandx

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 12:38:00 PM »

Please share your favs

As Sultan said, Kenosha had a team - Minnesota's Class A team. I saw Puckett and Knoblach.

Watching A ball, the good players really stand out because there are a lot of guys who will never advance any farther.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 04:09:26 PM »
I can't remember watching anybody when the Mariners were in Wausau because I was too young.  Apparently Harold Reynolds and Edgar Martinez rolled through in the 1980s so I may have seen them.  My sister bought a souvenir broken bat signed by Chuck Carr.  He at least made the show.

When the Orioles had a one year stint in Wausau, we saw Manny Alexander at SS well before he gave Cal Ripken a night off.

Saw Ben Zobrist when he played for the Woodchucks in the NWL.  He could really rake!  Kind of amazing though that his glove couldn't stick at SS.  He was rock solid in the NWL.  Makes you realize how good the Major Leaguers are.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2016, 09:30:10 PM »
Pitched against Juan Pierre and Jay Gibbons in the Northwoods League when they played for the Manitowoc Skunks.
Also faced LaTroy Hawkins when my college team face the twins single A team in spring training one year.

Juan Pierre was easily the fastest human I have seen up close.  Stands maybe 5'7, but he could fly.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 07:06:17 AM »
Saw Ryan Howard when he was playing High A ball for the Clearwater Phillies (now threshers) in the Florida St League. You knew he was going to be something, was a beast compared to the other guys.

feedback