Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: northwestern Scrimmage  (Read 17173 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: northwestern Scrimmage
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2018, 06:38:44 PM »
Seriously, we need to kick DePaul out of the Big East.  They can assign their lease at the WinTrust to Loyola, who will need the extra seats when we let them join the conference.

Yep. A giant can only sleep for so long before the body starts to rot....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2018, 10:52:31 PM »
Seriously, we need to kick DePaul out of the Big East.  They can assign their lease at the WinTrust to Loyola, who will need the extra seats when we let them join the conference.

What happens when Loyola turns back into Loyola? I mean, before last season did they typically even fill their own tiny arena? (Maybe they did. Legitimately don't know.)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2018, 11:00:31 PM »
What happens when Loyola turns back into Loyola? I mean, before last season did they typically even fill their own tiny arena? (Maybe they did. Legitimately don't know.)

Yea, Gentile Center is pretty garbage. Was nice when it opened 20 years ago but pretty below par nowadays even after they renovated it in 2011.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2018, 11:20:03 PM »
Yea, Gentile Center is pretty garbage. Was nice when it opened 20 years ago but pretty below par nowadays even after they renovated it in 2011.

My point wasn't the quality of the place, though. My point was that before Loyola turned into Cinderella for a few weeks, were they even able to draw fans?

I'm pretty sure chickadee doesn't really want Loyola in the BE; she was just saying they'd be better than DePaul, and might not even have been saying that (maybe adopting my teal-less tradition).

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2018, 11:56:20 PM »
I don’t think Loyola would be a great add, but I doubt they’d be any worse than DePaul. As for attendance, Loyola averages only a couple thousand per game... but that isn’t too far behind what DePaul has averaged.

https://depauliaonline.com/33219/sports/that-empty-feeling-despite-move-to-city-mens-basketball-attendance-remains-low/

DePaul plays more desirable opponents given its BE membership... and I wouldn’t be surprised if Loyola could meet or exceed that with a comparable schedule.

Seriously, would Loyola be any worse than DePaul if it had the advantages of BE membership? It’s hard to be much worse than last virtually every season.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 12:01:09 AM by GooooMarquette »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2018, 03:15:32 AM »
I don’t think Loyola would be a great add, but I doubt they’d be any worse than DePaul. As for attendance, Loyola averages only a couple thousand per game... but that isn’t too far behind what DePaul has averaged.

https://depauliaonline.com/33219/sports/that-empty-feeling-despite-move-to-city-mens-basketball-attendance-remains-low/

DePaul plays more desirable opponents given its BE membership... and I wouldn’t be surprised if Loyola could meet or exceed that with a comparable schedule.

Seriously, would Loyola be any worse than DePaul if it had the advantages of BE membership? It’s hard to be much worse than last virtually every season.

I would wait a couple more years to see if Loyola has actual staying power but it's certainly getting to the point where it's worth investigating.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2018, 06:33:05 AM »
I'll translate chick for you.  'DePaul is so freakin' bad that we may as well swap them out for Loyola.  At least Sr. Jean is cool!'  It's more a commentary on DePaul and their historic refusal to field a competitive team.  Now everything we think we know is that they are slightly better this year but losing your exhibition doesn't inspire.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2018, 07:23:29 AM »
I'll translate chick for you.  'DePaul is so freakin' bad that we may as well swap them out for Loyola.  At least Sr. Jean is cool!'  It's more a commentary on DePaul and their historic refusal to field a competitive team.  Now everything we think we know is that they are slightly better this year but losing your exhibition doesn't inspire.

They can't even pay players well enough to come there.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2018, 07:41:38 AM »
Bold prediction here. Assuming DePaul's recruiting actually stays around to get on campus they will field a halfway competitive team in two years.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2018, 08:59:25 AM »
Bold prediction here. Assuming DePaul's recruiting actually stays around to get on campus they will field a halfway competitive team in two years.

Possibly. But given DePaul's history, that assumption itself is pretty bold.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2018, 09:18:04 AM »
Possibly. But given DePaul's history, that assumption itself is pretty bold.

Yea, they have been pretty consistent in getting early commits who later decommit.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 09:43:33 AM by cheebs09 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2018, 09:27:15 AM »
Or occasionally a decent player who has no one else around him and an inept coaching staff.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2018, 09:40:55 AM »
I would wait a couple more years to see if Loyola has actual staying power but it's certainly getting to the point where it's worth investigating.

I would wait a couple of years to even consider investigating whether Loyola should be considered for consideration.

Porter Moser's 7 seasons included records of 7-23, 15-15, 10-22 and 15-17. He has had exactly 2 good seasons as Loyola's coach. It took the second-best series in the program's 100+ year history for Moser to get his career record barely above .500. And they historically have struggled to fill a tiny arena.

A few short months from now, we might realize we should have been saying:

If you wanna crown them, then crown their a$$. But they are who we thought they were!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2018, 09:45:53 AM »

This...I have been saying this for years...they have ZERO business being in the Big East, absolutely none whatsoever...in fact, they really should just downgrade from D1 altogether...
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2018, 10:00:52 AM »
So effen disappointed in the mods for not posting the SOTG yet!!!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2018, 10:01:16 AM »
DePaul needs better players to win more games. That said in regular season play the last two years, MU is 2 -2 versus them... which is not great when all four games are essentially home games for MU.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2018, 10:06:16 AM »
This...I have been saying this for years...they have ZERO business being in the Big East, absolutely none whatsoever...in fact, they really should just downgrade from D1 altogether...

Yeah but that means we are losing to DII teams rather than a bad DI team

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2018, 10:08:03 AM »
DePaul needs better players to win more games.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2018, 10:27:28 AM »
Easy fix, boot DePaul, bring in UConn.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2018, 11:05:08 AM »
Really can't get ANY reports from the scrimmage?  What about OnePostEagle guy who's best buddies with the manager, or something like that.

Crazy how tight they've kept this.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2018, 11:06:25 AM »
Really can't get ANY reports from the scrimmage?  What about OnePostEagle guy who's best buddies with the manager, or something like that.

Crazy how tight they've kept this.

Yeah cause we crushed them and Wojo feels bad and doesn’t want to hurt his friends feelings.

Tomorrow is basically Secret Scrimmage part 2. We’ll get a good gander.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2018, 11:08:40 AM »
Yeah cause we crushed them and Wojo feels bad and doesn’t want to hurt his friends feelings.

Think we moved up a seed line?  Or did Northwestern just drop one and we stayed steady?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2018, 11:11:37 AM »

Unfortunately, I won't get a gander.  Its a damn travesty that game won't be televised or streamed.  This isn't 1998.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2018, 11:12:51 AM »
Unfortunately, I won't get a gander.  Its a damn travesty that game won't be televised or streamed.  This isn't 1998.

I’m fairly confident that it’s goibg to be streamed. I swear I saw that somewhere.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2018, 11:14:23 AM »
I’m fairly confident that it’s goibg to be streamed. I swear I saw that somewhere.

Well if you confirm that, certainly let us know, because most people on here seem to think it won't be streamed.

feedback