[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: This 12 year old girl is good really good at singing and songwriting  (Read 12216 times)

wadesworld

• All American
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNxO9MpQ2vA

This is going around Facebook.  Pretty impressive.  Think it may be worth sharing for those interested.  Not for everyone.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 10:45:41 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
Re: This girl is good
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 10:44:06 PM »
Wow, destroyed. I thought TS before the nipple man said it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 11:16:00 PM »
Wow, destroyed. I thought TS before the nipple man said it.

I don't know what this means.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 07:15:07 AM »
I don't know what this means.

I will translate: PTM is in agreement with Simon Cowell that this young lady could be the next Taylor Swift.

Have some patience, FFS.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 07:15:40 AM »
I have never been a fan of talent shows my wife likes to watch like The Voice or American Idol, but I will join her for America's Got Talent because of some of the off the beaten track acts like acrobats and stuff you usually don't see.  Last year's Regurgitator may be the favorite thing I've ever seen on a talent show.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 07:43:57 AM »
I will translate: PTM is in agreement with Simon Cowell that this young lady could be the next Taylor Swift.

Thank you. Guess I should have referenced his eye makeup instead.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 08:04:29 AM »
Thank you. Guess I should have referenced his eye makeup instead.

It's not just eye makeup.  He has definitely had some work done.  He better be careful, or he is going to wind up like Kenny Rogers.

I must say, I am a little jaded now about AGT.  Last week, I was blown away by a 13-year-old opera singer from Skokie.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xCoxGV7j71c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xCoxGV7j71c</a>

When I went on the internet to see if I could find out a little more about her, I discovered that she had recently won Romania's Got Talent (her parents are Romanian immigrants). What's more, she is wearing the exact same I-just-walked-in-off-the-street outfit.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MiVbwYXqg0A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/MiVbwYXqg0A</a>

So much for the whole "aw, shucks, I don't know if I am any good or not" persona a lot of these contestants have.
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 08:20:12 AM »

Ahh, got it.  Thanks.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 08:36:06 AM »
There hasn't been a good talent show on TV since The Gong Show.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 08:44:18 AM »
There hasn't been a good talent show on TV since The Gong Show.

The Gong Show's main writer was Marquette grad Dave Sinker. Dave's go-to punch line was that he was from "Uterus", NY (Utica.)

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 08:50:01 AM »
The Gong Show's main writer was Marquette grad Dave Sinker. Dave's go-to punch line was that he was from "Uterus", NY (Utica.)

Was Dave Sinker writing for the Gong Show while he was in high school and college? Because I believe he graduated from Marquette in 1981, and the show was only on from 1976-1980.
Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 09:18:34 AM »
It's not just eye makeup.  He has definitely had some work done.  He better be careful, or he is going to wind up like Kenny Rogers.

I must say, I am a little jaded now about AGT.  Last week, I was blown away by a 13-year-old opera singer from Skokie.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xCoxGV7j71c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xCoxGV7j71c</a>

When I went on the internet to see if I could find out a little more about her, I discovered that she had recently won Romania's Got Talent (her parents are Romanian immigrants). What's more, she is wearing the exact same I-just-walked-in-off-the-street outfit.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MiVbwYXqg0A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/MiVbwYXqg0A</a>

So much for the whole "aw, shucks, I don't know if I am any good or not" persona a lot of these contestants have.

I had the exact same experience.  I saw her on the show; was taken in by her whole demeanor and even commented to my wife that if she'd worn a gown it wouldn't have had nearly the same impact as the normal 13-year-old outfit; googled her; and saw her doing the same performance on the other show -- in the same clothes.  She is still an amazingly talented child.  But I'll admit that I felt cheated, somehow.  Imagine...learning that the things I see on TV aren't real.

I made a conscious decision to not google the flavor of the week from this thread to avoid disappointment.  I want to believe.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 09:20:50 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 09:35:30 AM »
I don't really follow these shows and only see the clips that pop up on social media.  What does the winner of this get?  And is the "gold button" just putting you through to the final round?

I'd guess that the winner simply wins money and not a record deal (like I believe was the case with American Idol?) so is the biggest part of this accomplished for her?  Obviously winning the whole thing would probably bring a decent check to you, but if some agency or even just some top level musical coach "finds" her from this show and her career takes off from there then you're going to make money anyways.  People now know here and I would guess that's the most important part of the show?

Will a 12 year old get a record deal based on a single 2 minute song?  I have no clue how the music industry works.  Will the other girl get picked up by the opera?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 09:50:07 AM »
Such click bait. 

A 12 year old can really sing?  Will wonders never cease.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 10:19:21 AM »
Was Dave Sinker writing for the Gong Show while he was in high school and college? Because I believe he graduated from Marquette in 1981, and the show was only on from 1976-1980.

Well, you are wrong. Since you are have time to research such things I urge you to find out the actual run dates of The Gong Show. After Second City Sinker worked for Chuck Barris and Jenny Jones. Sinker did, indeed, write for The Gong Show.

Death on call

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 10:38:34 AM »

Hot take coming...she's probably more talented than Taylor Swift.  Taylor Swift had a gift for writing catchy, relatable songs at a young age, but she's never been much of a vocalist.  She's gotten better but she was pretty pitchy and thin live through most of her ascent.

This girl has a unique tone to her voice and props to her for recognizing and embracing it at her age.  And her lyrics and song structure were precocious as heck.  Obviously talent doesn't always equate to mega success, but she's got it in spades.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2016, 10:38:56 AM »
Well, you are wrong. Since you are have time to research such things I urge you to find out the actual run dates of The Gong Show. After Second City Sinker worked for Chuck Barris and Jenny Jones. Sinker did, indeed, write for The Gong Show.

I am aware that there was a short-lived weekly reboot in the late 80's that didn't have Chuck Barris as the host, but if that is all he worked on, it's stretching a bit to call him "The Gong Show's main writer".  I think Dave would agree.  That's a little like calling George Lazenby the main actor who played James Bond.
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: This 12 year old girl is really good at singing and songwriting
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2016, 10:41:46 AM »
Such click bait. 

A 12 year old can really sing?  Will wonders never cease.

My apologies.  Fixed.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2016, 11:22:29 AM »
I am aware that there was a short-lived weekly reboot in the late 80's that didn't have Chuck Barris as the host, but if that is all he worked on, it's stretching a bit to call him "The Gong Show's main writer".  I think Dave would agree.  That's a little like calling George Lazenby the main actor who played James Bond.

The lead writer for the original run in the late 70's also played Barris' foil on the show... and his name was Larry.

I know this because I remember watching the Gong Show as a toddler... Gene (Gene the Dancing Machine) and Larry were my favorite characters.  I also remember thinking that Jaye P Morgan looked like my aunt.  And then there was the time I had to go see Sister Marie in 1st grade because I did a reenactment of - unbeknownst to me at the time - an act I had seen that was laced with serious innuendo.

Good times.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2016, 11:45:49 AM »

Dave was the main writer for The Gong Show in its second run which lasted for a full season. He was employed by Chuck Barris' production company during the '80's and it was Barris who installed him as the writer for the show.

Are you really so obtuse or is it just that the acoustics are bad where you are sitting?

Death on call

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2016, 12:01:07 PM »
I don't really follow these shows and only see the clips that pop up on social media.  What does the winner of this get?  And is the "gold button" just putting you through to the final round?

I'd guess that the winner simply wins money and not a record deal (like I believe was the case with American Idol?) so is the biggest part of this accomplished for her?  Obviously winning the whole thing would probably bring a decent check to you, but if some agency or even just some top level musical coach "finds" her from this show and her career takes off from there then you're going to make money anyways.  People now know here and I would guess that's the most important part of the show?

Will a 12 year old get a record deal based on a single 2 minute song?  I have no clue how the music industry works.  Will the other girl get picked up by the opera?

The winner gets $1 million.  They guy who won the second season (a ventriloquist) has parlayed it into a huge career/fortune, but I'm not sure any of the other winners have done much after.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:45:03 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2016, 12:15:22 PM »
Dave was the main writer for The Gong Show in its second run which lasted for a full season. He was employed by Chuck Barris' production company during the '80's and it was Barris who installed him as the writer for the show.

Are you really so obtuse or is it just that the acoustics are bad where you are sitting?

Yep that's the difference between you and me.  When I am wrong about something, or even worded it badly, I am willing to admit it.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2016, 12:24:11 PM »

This amounts to "admitting you were wrong" in your world? Positively Chiconian!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2016, 12:39:59 PM »
This amounts to "admitting you were wrong" in your world? Positively Chiconian!

I wasn't admitting I was wrong.  Because I wasn't.
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2016, 12:42:44 PM »
The winner gets $1 million.  They guy who won the second season (a ventriloquist) has parlayed it into a huge career/fortune, but I'm not sure any of the other winners have done much afterword.

Got it.  Thank you.