[Today at 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RIP Muhammad Ali  (Read 12524 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: RIP Muhammad Ali
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2016, 02:09:04 PM »
By PPV I would also include pre-cable times where folks went to the movie theater to watch, and Ali and his promoters invented that for all practical purposes.

I saw a Leonard-Duran fight that way in the old Milwaukee Auditorium.  Unfortunately, it was the "no mas" fight so it only went eight rounds.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2016, 02:50:43 PM »
PATHETIC.

Why is this crap allowed?  You may want to look at some of the stories today that refer to him as his former name, and the authors are not racist...or white for that matter.  You, are truly pathetic.

"And Chicos - STFU".

brandx

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2016, 02:51:32 PM »
Insinuating that somebody intentionally used a racist reference is not politics. It is calling somebody out.

Pathetic on your part to leap to Boo-Boo's defense AND equally pathetic to attempt to bring politics into it AND doubly pathetic to act outraged -- or as one Scooper might say, fauxraged.

That's a Classic Chicos hat trick. Congrats!

Exactly.

Racism is not political. It is a human failing.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2016, 03:12:22 PM »
Insinuating that somebody intentionally used a racist reference is not politics. It is calling somebody out.

Pathetic on your part to leap to Boo-Boo's defense AND equally pathetic to attempt to bring politics into it AND doubly pathetic to act outraged -- or as one Scooper might say, fauxraged.

That's a Classic Chicos hat trick. Congrats!

He called Rocket a racist....that is pathetic and ridiculous.  You, had to play the race card, also pathetic and ridiculous. 

Please show us what was RACIST or RACIAL about Rocket's comments.  Please. 

The first person to bring race into it?  MIKE MU82.  FACT!!

Disgusting.

Then Brandx follows up by saying that Rocket is a racist, because only racist white folks use the name Cassius Clay.  Wow.  Not only wrong and stupid (which is par for the course with Brand), but Brandx doesn't know Rocket Surgeon from Adam or anyone else, yet he claims he is a racist?  Awesome.

PATHETIC. Both of you.  Absolutely pathetic and disgusting.  But you two can't help yourselves.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2016, 03:18:50 PM »
He called Rocket a racist....that is pathetic and ridiculous.  You, had to play the race card, also pathetic and ridiculous. 

Please show us what was RACIST or RACIAL about Rocket's comments.  Please. 

The first person to bring race into it?  MIKE MU82.  FACT!!

Disgusting.

Then Brandx follows up by saying that Rocket is a racist, because only racist white folks use the name Cassius Clay.  Wow.  Not only wrong and stupid (which is par for the course with Brand), but Brandx doesn't know Rocket Surgeon from Adam or anyone else, yet he claims he is a racist?  Awesome.

PATHETIC. Both of you.  Absolutely pathetic and disgusting.  But you two can't help yourselves.

fauxrage

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2016, 03:22:21 PM »

fauxrage

When someone is calling someone a racist, there is nothing fauxrage about it at all.  That's nuclear.

I'll ask again, who was the FIRST person to make this racial? 

FACT = MU82.   No one else, but MU82.  He just can't help himself.

As for Brandx and his ridiculous comments about who calls him Cassius....yep, all these people here are "racist whiteys" (Brandx's words)....good one Brand, you really nailed it again.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23cassius&src=typd

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23cassiusclay&src=typd

No, it wasn't racist, but MU82 and Brandx find it in so much....just pathetic.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 03:31:28 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2016, 03:30:00 PM »
Politics is about one person or group of people using power over another person or group of people. I submit that you cannot have a thread about Ali without bring politics into it, because his whole life was about standing up to power- whether that involved becoming a Black Muslim (on the day after he became Heavyweight Champion of the world) , changing his name, or refusing to step forward when his name was called at his draft induction.

I can't begin to communicate the effect these actions  by a blustering , swaggering black man had on certain white people, except to point out that 50 years later, old reactionaries like Surgeon are blowing their dog whistles by referring to him as "Clay" and fools like Chico are arguing that there is nothing racial about such a comment.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2016, 03:35:21 PM »
Politics is about one person or group of people using power over another person or group of people. I submit that you cannot have a thread about Ali without bring politics into it, because his whole life was about standing up to power- whether that involved becoming a Black Muslim (on the day after he became Heavyweight Champion of the world) , changing his name, or refusing to step forward when his name was called at his draft induction.

I can't begin to communicate the effect these actions  by a blustering , swaggering black man had on certain white people, except to point out that 50 years later, old reactionaries like Surgeon are blowing their dog whistles by referring to him as "Clay" and fools like Chico are arguing that there is nothing racial about such a comment.

There was nothing racial about his comment, just as millions of people today saying RIP to Cassius Clay aren't racists.  You don't seem to be able to get that through your head.   Am I in denial that racism was part of Ali's life?  Of course not.   But that doesn't mean for one nanosecond any comments made here or people saying Cassius Clay are racist or making racial statements.  You guys went there, no one else did.   You can pretend to use "dog whistle" which is what you guys do about EVERYTHING when something comes up from someone else you don't agree with.  It's so terrific.  "Hey everyone, he's using code words, dog whisper...just trust us, we have the Rosetta stone to make such claims as to what those codes are". 

PATHETIC.  Not everything is racial, even if you, MU82, and Brandx want to make it that way.  What's worse, you guys took it to a level that absolutely RACIST.  You had to pretend to find something that wasn't there, and then went nuclear with your own words.  Disgusting.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2016, 03:35:49 PM »
Mutaman, how's MU hoops looking this year? Thoughts on Wojo?  Buffalo Grove?

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2016, 03:38:12 PM »
To quote a wise man: "Chicos- STFU". 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2016, 03:40:10 PM »

There was nothing racial about his comment, just as millions of people today saying RIP to Cassius Clay aren't racists. 

Where are these "millions of people saying RIP to Cassius Clay?"  I understand your fauxrage at calling rocket racist, but I don't see a bunch of people calling him by a name he ditched 50 years ago.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2016, 03:43:41 PM »
To quote a wise man: "Chicos- STFU".

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2016, 03:48:31 PM »
RIP to a true legend. He was not the greatest ever by any means however he brought boxing to a golden age and was on top the whole time.

Growing up like I did, where every guy and most girls have been boxers, he was a huge idol. I used to imagine going in for weigh in like he did against sonny Liston the first time.

What he did was inspire many fighters to believe they could be  something more than just athletes or divas especially since fighters have long had a rep as being punch drunk fools.

"He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life." -Muhammad Ali
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2016, 03:50:10 PM »
rip cassius clay.  he competed when boxing was for real and had an international following.  probably one of the last of the few who made boxing the sport it WAS.  of course there are some behind the scenes things that occurred that many are not privy to, but CC rose above those and delivered quite a polarizing personality

Boxing is still massive outside the US. In Asia, Europe, and South America its second to only soccer. Go to Louis Arias (MU alum) fight tonight in Milwaukee and you can see first hand that boxing is still very real.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2016, 03:51:41 PM »
I always enjoyed this from Billy Crystal....15 rounds

https://vimeo.com/169300354

Crystal will be eulogizing Ali this week at the funeral.  Worth the watch. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2016, 03:55:43 PM »
While I think brand should modify his post, I don't see many authors calling him Cassius Clay in the same manner that rocket did - the present tense.

boy oh boy!  you guys are really reading into my post-honestly.  i was using the name cassius clay totally out of respect for his former name.  i wonder if some on this board even remember him before ali.  but holy schnikees guys.  seems like you're always looking for the worst, send out the whistle and all the rest pile on.  i forgot about this post and just came back to it and frankly i am really surprised
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2016, 03:58:58 PM »
boy oh boy!  you guys are really reading into my post-honestly.  i was using the name cassius clay totally out of respect for his former name. 

I kinda figured, but it's not really respectful if it's not his name. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2016, 04:06:03 PM »

your first paragraph was excellent, then you had to jump back down into your chit hole with the second one.  wow-i thought we lost you when the pol thread was eliminated.  all you do is attack.  if you are trying to find a release for your anger, this ain't the place

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2016, 04:10:53 PM »
boy oh boy!  you guys are really reading into my post-honestly.  i was using the name cassius clay totally out of respect for his former name.  i wonder if some on this board even remember him before ali.  but holy schnikees guys.  seems like you're always looking for the worst, send out the whistle and all the rest pile on.  i forgot about this post and just came back to it and frankly i am really surprised

Considering the three clowns....I wouldn't be surprised one iota.  Sad, is all it is.   I think 99% if not more knew there was zero malice at all, but some people just can't help themselves and are going to find something.  It's not what is said, but who says the what. In this case, because it was you they hear or read things that aren't there and just make stuff up.  Absolutely pathetic.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2016, 04:15:40 PM »

I kinda figured, but it's not really respectful if it's not his name.

i really did not intend on creating such a "firestorm".  i actually think the name cassius is pretty cool and obviously unique.  he was a guy who was hard not to like despite his politics.  i think most people either forgave him for his war dodging and after his explanation as jesmu pointed out, many(maybe even most) were probably were saying to themselves-"right on"!!  he was very much respected for not only his boxing, but standing up for himself and others with his beliefs, saying what many others were thinking.  he brought respect to the muslim religion, the african-americans along with many others and rightly so.  he was the ultimate ambassador   

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2016, 04:34:22 PM »
Parkinson's...what a dreadful disease.  My mom suffers from it and Alzheimers...not a good combo.  You see the pictures of Ali in the last 3 years and it is heartbreaking. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2016, 05:05:46 PM »
i really did not intend on creating such a "firestorm".  i actually think the name cassius is pretty cool and obviously unique.  he was a guy who was hard not to like despite his politics.  i think most people either forgave him for his war dodging and after his explanation as jesmu pointed out, many(maybe even most) were probably were saying to themselves-"right on"!!  he was very much respected for not only his boxing, but standing up for himself and others with his beliefs, saying what many others were thinking.  he brought respect to the muslim religion, the african-americans along with many others and rightly so.  he was the ultimate ambassador

You may not have intended any disrespect to Ali by calling him Cassius Clay but he would surely be offended by you calling him what he considered his "slave name". Ernie Terrell referred to him as Cassius and he beat him to a pulp, asking him "what's my name?" with every punch he landed. So if you truly want to honor him maybe calling him Cassius isn't the best way.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2016, 05:13:24 PM »
You may not have intended any disrespect to Ali by calling him Cassius Clay but he would surely be offended by you calling him what he considered his "slave name". Ernie Terrell referred to him as Cassius and he beat him to a pulp, asking him "what's my name?" with every punch he landed. So if you truly want to honor him maybe calling him Cassius isn't the best way.

as i found out the hard way...must have been that turnip truck i was born on ;D  however, i do not believe i deserved the pile on and the catcalls of racism.  it's like they are just waiting for a slip up and then WHAMO! then they walk away feeling good about themselves as they are soooo much better than us "racists"  MU82-i thought you were a little bit above that, but never let a good crisis go to waste enn'a?  the others=par

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2016, 07:32:31 PM »

rocket:

I am glad you checked back in to defend yourself rather than the rest of us having to read more blah-blah-blather from the sanctimoniously fauxraged one. I do hope he calls me PATHETIC a few more times, though. Talk about a badge of honor! It's kind of like Trump calling me PATHETIC; it would mean I'm definitely doing something right.

Although I didn't personally know Ali, I think I know him well enough from reading books about him, seeing him interviewed hundreds of times, etc, to know that he would not take it as a sign of respect that anybody in 2016 (or anytime in the last 40+ years) would call him Clay. Ali hated his slave name, he verbally attacked people who used it and his opponents often called him "Clay" to get a rise out of him.

Unlike Mr. Fauxrage, you seem like a genuine guy, so we should take you at your word that you didn't mean any disrespect by calling him by his slave name. So I do apologize for saying you intentionally meant to dishonor Ali.

I do hope you have learned from this, though. When Kareem dies, you might not want to say how much you respected ol' Lew Alcindor.

As for Mr. Fauxrage, you are one of maybe a half-dozen Scoopers who doesn't take him for a fool and a tool -- and smart money would probably bet the "under" on that number.

Chicos just views that as a sign that he is right about everything and the rest of us are wrong -- and that it's all one big conspiracy against him, too -- but I do hope Yogi realizes how very lucky he is to have you on this board, Boo-Boo.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2016, 07:32:57 PM »
Interesting titles of today's programming on ESPN...volumes 1 & 2