[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Brady Suspended 4 Games, Serious Question ... When Does Rodgers Get Suspended?  (Read 12464 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Quarterback Tom Brady was suspended for the first four games of the National Football League season and his New England Patriots were fined $1 million for their roles in the deflated ball case.  The punishments announced today by the NFL also include the Patriots forfeiting a first-round draft choice in 2016 and a fourth-round selection in 2017.

So messing with the pressure in footballs is a very big deal.

Remember this?

Aaron Rodgers likes his footballs overinflated
Posted by Mike Florio on January 20, 2015, 5:47 PM EDT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/20/aaron-rodgers-likes-his-footballs-overinflated/

Via Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com, at least one possibly does.  Reiss notes that, during the November 30 game between the Packers and Patriots on CBS, Jim Nantz and Phil Simms discussed the preference by quarterback Aaron Rodgers for overinflated balls.

“‘I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football, even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it,'” Simms said Rodgers told them before the game.

Simms pointed out that Rodgers is the exception.

“Everybody wants it smaller and soft, so they can dig their fingers into,” Simms said. “[Rodgers is] such a feel thrower.  You can tell.  The one touchdown he threw down the field to the tight end is such feel; then he flicks it.  That shows you he just has great control of it, with his fingers and hand.”

On his weekly radio show with ESPN Milwaukee, Rodgers confirmed that he prefers the balls to be overinflated, and that he doesn’t think there should be a maximum air pressure.

------------------

Will the NFL hire Ted Wells to write a 300 page report on Rodgers?  Will he get four games and will the Packers get a fine and lose draft picks?

Why is what Brady did such a big deal and Rodgers being ignored?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 04:52:47 PM by Heisenberg »

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
Quarterback Tom Brady was suspended for the first four games of the National Football League season and his New England Patriots were fined $1 million for their roles in the deflated ball case.  The punishments announced today by the NFL also include the Patriots forfeiting a first-round draft choice in 2016 and a fourth-round selection in 2017.

So messing with the pressure in footballs is a very big deal.

Remember this?

Aaron Rodgers likes his footballs overinflated
Posted by Mike Florio on January 20, 2015, 5:47 PM EDT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/20/aaron-rodgers-likes-his-footballs-overinflated/

Via Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com, at least one possibly does.  Reiss notes that, during the November 30 game between the Packers and Patriots on CBS, Jim Nantz and Phil Simms discussed the preference by quarterback Aaron Rodgers for overinflated balls.

“‘I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football, even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it,'” Simms said Rodgers told them before the game.

Simms pointed out that Rodgers is the exception.

“Everybody wants it smaller and soft, so they can dig their fingers into,” Simms said. “[Rodgers is] such a feel thrower.  You can tell.  The one touchdown he threw down the field to the tight end is such feel; then he flicks it.  That shows you he just has great control of it, with his fingers and hand.”

On his weekly radio show with ESPN Milwaukee, Rodgers confirmed that he prefers the balls to be overinflated, and that he doesn’t think there should be a maximum air pressure.

------------------

Will the NFL hire Ted Wells to write a 300 page report on Rodgers?  Will he get four games and will the Packers get a fine and lose draft picks?

Great point - Brady's suspension is absolutely ridiculous within the context of equipment tampering that goes on constantly within the NFL.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

brandx

Because neither Rodgers nor the Packers have ever been caught over inflating footballs.

And for what it is worth, I don't believe Brady will serve the suspension. Methinks Goddell may have screwed the pooch again.

There were two separate needles that were used to check the balls and while the Referee doesn't remember which he used, the league has decided which one he used, even though the referee's best recollection is that he used the one the NFL decided he didn't use.

Groin_pull

• All American
Yawn. That suspension will get appealed down to two games. Big deal. A pretty light penalty for a repeat offender.

• All American
Yawn. That suspension will get appealed down to two games. Big deal. A pretty light penalty for a repeat offender.

Brady is a repeat offender?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Because neither Rodgers nor the Packers have ever been caught over inflating footballs.

Neither was  Brady/Pats until they investigated.   So, investigate!

And Rodgers admission that he also "cheated" gives them more evidence on him than they currently have on Brady.

Suspend Rogers ... do it for the children!

ATWizJr

• All American
Neither was  Brady/Pats until they investigated.   So, investigate!

And Rodgers admission that he also "cheated" gives them more evidence on him than they currently have on Brady.

Suspend Rogers ... do it for the children!
If the Packers over inflate the balls and in the pre game check the officials allow those balls for play, then there is no problem. If, however, as the Patriots did, deflate the balls surreptitiously, after they had been checked by the refs, well, that's another matter.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
If the Packers over inflate the balls and in the pre game check the officials allow those balls for play, then there is no problem. If, however, as the Patriots did, deflate the balls surreptitiously, after they had been checked by the refs, well, that's another matter.

I agree so let's have the NFL hire Ted wells to investigate and find out if that's the case.

You think Rogers survives that investigation or does Wells find that he's as big a cheater as Brady?

GGGG

• All American
Have opposing teams complained about over inflated balls?  No.  There is simply nothing to investigate other than Phil Simms quoting Aaron Rodgers.

Heisentroll gonna Heisentroll...

Groin_pull

• All American
Brady is a repeat offender?

Oh that's right, he had no part in Spygate whatsoever and didn't benefit from it in any way. ::)

GGGG

• All American
Oh that's right, he had no part in Spygate whatsoever and didn't benefit from it in any way. ::)

Should the Pats running backs get suspended, or at least cited, because they benefited from the under inflated footballs?

Groin_pull

• All American
Should the Pats running backs get suspended, or at least cited, because they benefited from the under inflated footballs?

As the QB, Brady was able to maximize any advantages gained from Spygate and Deflategate.

You want the money and fame that goes with being a QB? Fine, but you get to take the hit in situations like this.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
Brady didn't cooperate with the NFL during their investigation. I think that stiffened the punishment. I also wouldn't be surprised if they were warned in the past since it seems like teams complained to the NFL.

GGGG

• All American
As the QB, Brady was able to maximize any advantages gained from Spygate and Deflategate.

You want the money and fame that goes with being a QB? Fine, but you get to take the hit in situations like this.

I agree...when he is found guilty of something.  He was not found guilty of anything with spygate. 

Skitch

• All American
Do you honestly think the two situations are even remotely similar or is this another brilliant "hot take" to get your precious views?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Do you honestly think the two situations are even remotely similar or is this another brilliant "hot take" to get your precious views?

They are very familiar ... just a bunch of blinded packer fans here. 

The NFL set a standard today.  4 games, loss of draft picks and fine for violating the ball inflation rule.  Brady claims he never did, Rodgers freely admitted he did.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Have opposing teams complained about over inflated balls?  No.  There is simply nothing to investigate other than Phil Simms quoting Aaron Rodgers.

Heisentroll gonna Heisentroll...

So the Bears organization holds the fate of the Rodgers?  If they call the NFL, Rodgers is cooked?

GGGG

• All American
So the Bears organization holds the fate of the Rodgers?  If they call the NFL, Rodgers is cooked?

Do they have evidence?

Tugg Speedman

• All American

Yes!!!

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/2015/the-new-england-patriots-prevention-of-fumbles-is-nearly-impossible

The New England Patriots Prevention of Fumbles is Nearly Impossible

The 2014 Patriots were just the 3rd team in the last 25 years to never have lost a fumble at home!  The biggest difference between the Patriots and the other 2 teams who did it was that New England ran between 150 and 200 MORE plays this year than those teams did in the years they had zero home fumbles, making the Patriots stand alone in this unique statistic.

Based on the desire to incorporate full season data (not just home games, as a team theoretically bring “doctored footballs” with them on the road) I performed the following analysis:

I looked at the last 5 years of data (since 2010) and examined TOTAL FUMBLES in all games (as well as fumbles/game) but more importantly, TOTAL OFFENSIVE PLAYS RUN.  Thus, we can to determine average PLAYS per FUMBLE, a much more valuable statistic.  The results are displayed in the chart below.  Keep in mind, this is for all games since 2010, regardless of indoors, outdoors, weather, site, etc.  EVERYTHING.

Tugg Speedman

• All American

Do they have evidence?

Probably ... Rodgers bragged he cheated so it probably happened to the Bears.   Or do you think Rodgers was lying to Simms and he did not violate the now sacred ball inflation rule?

Look I get it, your a Packer fan and your plays don't cheat.  All I'm asking is if they established a standard today for violating the ball inflation rule, and Rodgers bragged he violated it too, why isn't he getting punished the same as Brady?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Probably ... Rodgers bragged he cheated so it probably happened to the Bears.   Or do you think Rodgers was lying to Simms and he did not violate the now sacred ball inflation rule?

Look I get it, your a Packer fan and your plays don't cheat.  All I'm asking is if they established a standard today for violating the ball inflation rule, and Rodgers bragged he violated it too, why isn't he getting punished the same as Brady?

It's pretty simple. Rodgers doesn't have the balls overinflated after the officials check them to make sure they're within range. He has them overinflated, or close to it, and if the officials tell them to take some air out, the Packers do it. If the officials rule that an overinflated ball is within range, that's not on Rodgers.

In hindsight, Brady would have been better off using the same defense: "I like the football inflated on the lower side of the range. We filled the title game footballs up on the lower side of the range, they passed the officials' inspection so we used them." That would put the onus on the officials and the golden boy would still be golden.

brandx

Probably ... Rodgers bragged he cheated so it probably happened to the Bears.   Or do you think Rodgers was lying to Simms and he did not violate the now sacred ball inflation rule?

Look I get it, your a Packer fan and your plays don't cheat.  All I'm asking is if they established a standard today for violating the ball inflation rule, and Rodgers bragged he violated it too, why isn't he getting punished the same as Brady?

So we found out the reason for the silly posts.

It is  r  e  a  l  l  y  simple. Before each game, officials take balls from each team and approve them for use. Neither the Packers nor Rodgers have ever been accused of tampering with these approved balls by anyone.

Oops....  except you!!

brandx

It's pretty simple. Rodgers doesn't have the balls overinflated after the officials check them to make sure they're within range. He has them overinflated, or close to it, and if the officials tell them to take some air out, the Packers do it. If the officials rule that an overinflated ball is within range, that's not on Rodgers.

In hindsight, Brady would have been better off using the same defense: "I like the football inflated on the lower side of the range. We filled the title game footballs up on the lower side of the range, they passed the officials' inspection so we used them." That would put the onus on the officials and the golden boy would still be golden.

No it wouldn't. They were deflated after the officials checked the air pressure of the balls.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
So we found out the reason for the silly posts.

It is  r  e  a  l  l  y  simple. Before each game, officials take balls from each team and approve them for use. Neither the Packers nor Rodgers have ever been accused of tampering with these approved balls by anyone.

Oops....  except you!!

How do we know this? Was their an investigation?  Like I said above investigate and clear him.  

And if they do investigate, you're positive no assistant trainer ever snuck a few pumps into the balls after they were inspected?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 09:47:40 PM by Heisenberg »

Tugg Speedman

• All American

First I agree with your second part ... when this first came up instead of lying and lying and lying Brady should have said "yes, I like them under-inflated, next question."  If he had done that this would not have even risen to the level of being a story to eventually go away, it would have never been noticed in the first place.

Regarding the first part, so the NFL is OK with trying to cheat.  Then why do they even hand out fines after reviewing the video Monday morning?  If you got away with it in the game why penalize after the fact?

Warriors10

• All American
Yes!!!

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/2015/the-new-england-patriots-prevention-of-fumbles-is-nearly-impossible

The New England Patriots Prevention of Fumbles is Nearly Impossible

The 2014 Patriots were just the 3rd team in the last 25 years to never have lost a fumble at home!  The biggest difference between the Patriots and the other 2 teams who did it was that New England ran between 150 and 200 MORE plays this year than those teams did in the years they had zero home fumbles, making the Patriots stand alone in this unique statistic.

Based on the desire to incorporate full season data (not just home games, as a team theoretically bring “doctored footballs” with them on the road) I performed the following analysis:

I looked at the last 5 years of data (since 2010) and examined TOTAL FUMBLES in all games (as well as fumbles/game) but more importantly, TOTAL OFFENSIVE PLAYS RUN.  Thus, we can to determine average PLAYS per FUMBLE, a much more valuable statistic.  The results are displayed in the chart below.  Keep in mind, this is for all games since 2010, regardless of indoors, outdoors, weather, site, etc.  EVERYTHING.

Always gotta dig deeper...

http://regressing.deadspin.com/why-those-statistics-about-the-patriots-fumbles-are-mos-1681805710/1702950988/+kylenw

🏀

• All American
In all actuality, no one knows if Rodgers cheats the inflation higher or if it's within the 13.5 psi limit

However, I do not think he would incriminate himself in an interview about it. So, I bet Rodgers is clean and the league has already spoken to him.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
In all actuality, no one knows if Rodgers cheats the inflation higher or if it's within the 13.5 psi limit

However, I do not think he would incriminate himself in an interview about it. So, I bet Rodgers is clean and the league has already spoken to him.

Or, he was defending is good Buddy Tom Brady by saying "I do it too" never thinking in a million years the penalty for improperly inflated footballs would be what was handed down today.

And had he known on January 21 (the day he made his comments) would he have so easily jumped into the middle of this mess?

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
Or, he was defending is good Buddy Tom Brady by saying "I do it too" never thinking in a million years the penalty for improperly inflated footballs would be what was handed down today.

And had he known on January 21 (the day he made his comments) would he have so easily jumped into the middle of this mess?

You're really reaching on this quest to get views. You should write some mystery books with all these theories and observations you seem to have. Did you suffer from lack of attention when you were young, or maybe still do?

🏀

• All American

Very well could be that as well. I'm kinda with you, Rodgers shouldn't have said crap. I don't believe any NFL team isn't trying to cheat every game. Well, except for the Browns.

brandx

My theory is that everybody cheats at everything. Never seen proof refuting the premise, so it is true.

GGGG

• All American

Rodgers said something to Simms that Simms may have repeated correctly.  That's all you got.

No opposing teams complained.  No referee to my knowledge has had issues with the balls the Packers use.  Absolutely zero hard evidence of any sort.

Look, I get it.  Your a Bears fan and the last 20+ years has been hard on you.  Someday you'll get your quarterback and someday you'll be able to beat the Packers consistently without contorting ways to get their quarterback suspended.

StillAWarrior

• All American
They are very familiar ... just a bunch of blinded packer fans here. 

The NFL set a standard today.  4 games, loss of draft picks and fine for violating the ball inflation rule.  Brady claims he never did, Rodgers freely admitted he did.

You either don't understand what the NFL did today, or you're being intentionally obtuse.  Doesn't really matter which.  The NFL didn't set the standard for violation of the ball inflation rule, they set the standard for tampering with balls after the initial check (and for trying to cover it up).  According to the report, two of New England's balls were under-inflated prior to the initial check.  The officials simply pumped some air into them and deflated them down to 12.5 which is what they knew Brady wanted.  It was the tampering after that (as well as the lying and cover-up) that led to the penalties.  Neither Brady or the Patriots would have been disciplined for those under-inflated balls at the initial check.

If Rodgers and the Packers submitted balls that were over-inflated, they haven't violated the rule.  If the officials see that they're over inflated, their actions at the AFC Championship game (when the added air to two of NE's balls) would suggest that they would bleed air out until they comply.  The result, of course, would be that Rodgers gets his balls at the upper limit of what is allowed.

Since there is absolutely no evidence suggesting that Rodgers or the Packers ever tampered with balls after the check, there is no reason to conduct an investigation.

/Not a Packers fan.  At all.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
I know that there has been some statistics cited showing that the Patriots had one of the lower turnover rates in the League.  Has anyone seen anything addressing whether there was any material difference between their home games and road games?  I haven't.  If, as some are suggesting, the under-inflated balls were a contributing factor to the low turnover rate, I'd expect to see a noticeable difference when they are on the road.

• All American
You're really reaching on this quest to get views. You should write some mystery books with all these theories and observations you seem to have. Did you suffer from lack of attention when you were young, or maybe still do?
I'm willing to be corrected, but does Heisenberg get paid for views, or is this a free forum for him just like everyone else?

There are other examples of inconsistencies with the NFL and equipment tampering, for example the Minnesota Vikings heating up game balls on the sideline during the game on live TV. I believe the penalty there was $25k for the organization.

• All American
I know that there has been some statistics cited showing that the Patriots had one of the lower turnover rates in the League.  Has anyone seen anything addressing whether there was any material difference between their home games and road games?  I haven't.  If, as some are suggesting, the under-inflated balls were a contributing factor to the low turnover rate, I'd expect to see a noticeable difference when they are on the road.
Don't both teams provide their own balls regardless of venue? If that's the case, road and home games wouldn't make a difference with balls

GGGG

• All American
I'm willing to be corrected, but does Heisenberg get paid for views, or is this a free forum for him just like everyone else?

So you forgot to sign up for the Scoop Rewards Program?  Earn enough "reply points" and the mods get you stuff like a seat cushion or a new car. 

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
I think the 3rd team in 25 years to have 0 fumbles at home is more interesting to the case than anything else, and isn't even the focus.
Penalty was probably too harsh.  All Tom Brady had to do was downplay it from the beginning and admit to it and the story would have been a lot different.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 08:23:26 AM by RushmoreAcademy »

GB Warrior

• All American

This - let's stop being stupid. It's a lot harder to tamper with the ball to add air midgame than vice versa. There have been no reported chain of custody issues with the Packers. And to be frank, the Packers could beat the Bears with Brett Hundley right now.

This being send - F*** Roger Goodell. I'm no Pats fan and I'm POSITIVE there is wrongdoing here. However, the report doesn't prove that, plain and simple. And likewise, this arbitrary justice stuff should be a primary arguing point of the new CBA, because Brady was just put on the shelf for refusing to incriminate himself. The NFL can keep thinking it is a lawmaker, but it will keep getting called out in court if it does.

StillAWarrior

• All American
Don't both teams provide their own balls regardless of venue? If that's the case, road and home games wouldn't make a difference with balls

Yes, but the issue here isn't how the balls are when they get to the refs.  The issue here is what is being done with the balls after the refs check them.  In the report, it is (at least) implied that New England might have been tampering with the balls on more occasions than just the AFC Championship game.  The attendant in the officials' locker room (McNally) is the guy who is alleged to have tampered with the balls.  The report indicates that for a normal game, McNally was generally alone with the balls for plenty of time to adjust the pressure.  This is in the officials' locker room while the officials are doing their pre-game walk through.  On the night of the AFC Championship game, there were a lot of extra people around and the report suggests this is why McNally had to take the unprecedented step of taking the balls early and taking them to the rest room.

So, it would make a difference whether it is a home or an away game.  Since the home team provides the attendant for the officials' locker room, the road team would not likely have any opportunity to tamper with the balls after the initial check.

By the way, a very quick and unscientific look at box scores on ESPN doesn't support that NE had more fumbles on the road.  At best, it shows that it was almost even (looking at all fumbles -- whether the other team recovered or not).  Also, if you look at the period after the NY Jets game (when Brady is alleged to have blown up at the attendants because the balls were over-inflated), there were actually a lot more fumbles at home (8) than on the road (1).  Note:  there were seven home games and only four road games.

MerrittsMustache

• All American

So you forgot to sign up for the Scoop Rewards Program?  Earn enough "reply points" and the mods get you stuff like a seat cushion or a new car. 

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.

What's the exchange rate of Schrute Bucks to Stanley Nickles?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.

I would be happy with a 1 game suspension for A Rodg.  Quick Dish, get someone on the phone at Halas Hall.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Tugg Speedman

• All American
You either don't understand what the NFL did today, or you're being intentionally obtuse.  Doesn't really matter which.  The NFL didn't set the standard for violation of the ball inflation rule, they set the standard for tampering with balls after the initial check (and for trying to cover it up).  According to the report, two of New England's balls were under-inflated prior to the initial check.  The officials simply pumped some air into them and deflated them down to 12.5 which is what they knew Brady wanted.  It was the tampering after that (as well as the lying and cover-up) that led to the penalties.  Neither Brady or the Patriots would have been disciplined for those under-inflated balls at the initial check.

If Rodgers and the Packers submitted balls that were over-inflated, they haven't violated the rule.  If the officials see that they're over inflated, their actions at the AFC Championship game (when the added air to two of NE's balls) would suggest that they would bleed air out until they comply.  The result, of course, would be that Rodgers gets his balls at the upper limit of what is allowed.

Since there is absolutely no evidence suggesting that Rodgers or the Packers ever tampered with balls after the check, there is no reason to conduct an investigation.

/Not a Packers fan.  At all.

Nice version of events.  Too bad the NFL press release says none of this

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000492190/article/nfl-releases-statement-on-patriots-violations

"Based on the extensive record developed in the investigation and detailed in the Wells report, and after full consideration of this matter by the Commissioner and the Football Operations department, we have determined that the Patriots have violated the NFL's Policy on Integrity of the Game and Enforcement of Competitive Rules, as well as the Official Playing Rules and the established guidelines for the preparation of game footballs set forth in the NFL's Game Operations Policy Manual for Member Clubs.

-----
The highlighted part means mere act of submitting an improperly inflated footballs is a violation of the rule.  Until yesterday the penalty was the ref would add/take out air out of the ball until it complied with the rules.

Today the penalty is suspension, fine and loss of draft picks.

Only one active player in the NFL has admitted to violating the Official Playing Rules and the established guidelines for the preparation of game footballs set forth in the NFL's Game Operations Policy Manual for Member Clubs.

That player is Aaron Rodgers

« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 10:53:23 AM by Heisenberg »

GGGG

• All American
Nice version of events.  Too bad the NFL press release says none of this

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000492190/article/nfl-releases-statement-on-patriots-violations

"Based on the extensive record developed in the investigation and detailed in the Wells report, and after full consideration of this matter by the Commissioner and the Football Operations department, we have determined that the Patriots have violated the NFL's Policy on Integrity of the Game and Enforcement of Competitive Rules, as well as the Official Playing Rules and the established guidelines for the preparation of game footballs set forth in the NFL's Game Operations Policy Manual for Member Clubs.

-----
The highlighted part means mere act of submitting an improperly inflated footballs is a violation of the rule.  Until yesterday the penalty was the ref would add/take out air out of the ball until it complied with the rules.

Only one active player in the NFL has admitted to violating the Official Playing Rules and the established guidelines for the preparation of game footballs set forth in the NFL's Game Operations Policy Manual for Member Clubs.

Even by your standards this is just a load of bunk.

StillAWarrior

• All American
Nice version of events.  Too bad the NFL press release says none of this

-----
The highlighted part means mere act of submitting an improperly inflated footballs is a violation of the rule.  Until yesterday the penalty was the ref would add/take out air out of the ball until it complied with the rules.

OK, so intentionally obtuse it is.  I had my suspicions, but you seem to be going out of your way to remove all doubt.

First of all, I don't agree with your interpretation of what that highlighted text means (i.e., tampering with footballs after they've been inspected would also qualify as a violation of the guidelines for the preparation of footballs).  Second, you omitted the next sentence, which makes clear that it is the issues addressed in the report (i.e., the post-inspection tampering) that led to the discipline.  Third, the next paragraph (which you also don't quote) refers to deflating footballs in a secretive manner (which occurred post-inspection).  Fourth, the next paragraph also talked about "deliberate actions" by Patriots employees which, based on context, is clearly relating to the post-inspection deflation.  Fifth...the next paragraph, refers to the fact that the footballs were "intentionally deflated."  Oh, and let's not forget the opening sentence (which you also didn't quote) that refers to the punishment being "the use of under-inflated footballs" (and not "submitting" under-inflated footballs).

But I'll give you credit, you seem to have identified and highlighted one of the few sentences in the entire statement that is ambiguous enough to arguably support your position.  Kudos.

brandx

How do we know this? Was their an investigation?  Like I said above investigate and clear him.  

And if they do investigate, you're positive no assistant trainer ever snuck a few pumps into the balls after they were inspected?

Why would anyone investigate anything if there are no allegations of wrongdoing?

I would like you to give me any instance where Rodgers has been accused of cheating  - by another player, another coach, another GM.

It's stunning how you have more knowledge of cheating by Rodgers than anyone else anywhere. Just apologize for trolling (again) and move on to your next outrage.

• All American
Why would anyone investigate anything if there are no allegations of wrongdoing?

I would like you to give me any instance where Rodgers has been accused of cheating  - by another player, another coach, another GM.

It's stunning how you have more knowledge of cheating by Rodgers than anyone else anywhere. Just apologize for trolling (again) and move on to your next outrage.
Rodgers admitted in the article to over inflating balls.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Again, I think this entire deflate-gate is way overblown.  But since the NFL set a new standard (again I don't agree with it) why not apply it evenly.  Rodgers admitted to breaking the rule.  Eli Manning uses a glove.  Should that be banned too?

I understand their are a lot of packers fans here torturing words to say what Brady did and what Rodgers did are two different things.  Not everyone agrees.  Below are two commentaries of many that say what I've been saying.  Many more are asking about Rodgers from a consistency standpoint.

BTW, the Wells report never found "proof" the balls were intentionally deflated.  The best they have is a video that of an assistant trainers taking them into the can for 100 seconds.  They don't know if we was really taking a leak, or did they explain how one can deflate 12 balls in 100 seconds.  Again, they have more on Rodgers than they do on Brady.

----------------

Deflategate punishments are NFL’s weak attempts to right its own wrongs
The Washington Post
May 12, 2015
Sally Jenkins

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/deflategate-punishments-are-nfls-lame-attempts-to-right-its-own-wrongs/2015/05/12/c1b2d2be-f8b1-11e4-9ef4-1bb7ce3b3fb7_story.html

If you dock Brady four games, then you have to dock Aaron Rodgers, too. Rodgers admitted to CBS analyst Phil Simms last season that he “pushes the limit” on how much air is in the ball. Rodgers has large hands and likes an extremely hard ball. He told Simms that he tells his equipment guys to “even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take the air out of it.” Simms reported this on national television, and no one called it a ‘Gate’ — for the simple reason that it’s not cheating. It’s a preference. And it comes with an equalizing downside. If a softer ball is easier to grip, it also decelerates when you throw it, loses velocity and doesn’t travel as far. If it’s overinflated the way Rodgers likes it, then it travels farther, faster.

10 Reasons Why an Appeal Overturns Tom Brady’s Suspension

by Daniel J. Flynn12
May 2015

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2015/05/12/top-10-reasons-why-an-appeal-overturns-tom-bradys-suspension/

#5 The NFL Doesn’t Punish for Ball Tampering

Brady denies tampering. Another, some might argue better, quarterback, admits it. “I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football,” Aaron Rodgers told CBS’s Phil Simms pre-Deflategate, “even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it.” Aside from the rule-breaking admission, the Green Bay Packers QB’s preference for bigger footballs brings into question whether a lack of pressure provides an advantage or caters to a preference. Additionally, Fox’s cameras caught the Minnesota Vikings and Carolina Panthers heating balls this past season in frigid Minneapolis. NFL officiating guru Dean Blandino told the teams to knock it off. Rodgers has thus far escaped both the tongue lashing and the $25,000 fine. Rule 2, Section 1 states: “The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications…. the balls shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant just prior to the start of the game.” This didn’t happen. “In the event a home team ball does not conform to specifications, or its supply is exhausted,” Rule 2, Section 2 holds, “the Referee shall secure a proper ball from the visitors and, failing that, use the best available ball.” This didn’t happen.

GGGG

• All American
Again, I think this entire deflate-gate is way overblown.  But since the NFL set a new standard (again I don't agree with it) why not apply it evenly.  Rodgers admitted to breaking the rule.  Eli Manning uses a glove.  Should that be banned too?

I understand their are a lot of packers fans here torturing words to say what Brady did and what Rodgers did are two different things.  Not everyone agrees.  Below are two commentaries of many that say what I've been saying.  Many more are asking about Rodgers from a consistency standpoint.

BTW, the Wells report never found "proof" the balls were intentionally deflated.  The best they have is a video that of an assistant trainers taking them into the can for 100 seconds.  They don't know if we was really taking a leak, or did they explain how one can deflate 12 balls in 100 seconds.  Again, they have more on Rodgers than they do on Brady.

----------------

Deflategate punishments are NFL’s weak attempts to right its own wrongs
The Washington Post
May 12, 2015
Sally Jenkins

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/deflategate-punishments-are-nfls-lame-attempts-to-right-its-own-wrongs/2015/05/12/c1b2d2be-f8b1-11e4-9ef4-1bb7ce3b3fb7_story.html

If you dock Brady four games, then you have to dock Aaron Rodgers, too. Rodgers admitted to CBS analyst Phil Simms last season that he “pushes the limit” on how much air is in the ball. Rodgers has large hands and likes an extremely hard ball. He told Simms that he tells his equipment guys to “even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take the air out of it.” Simms reported this on national television, and no one called it a ‘Gate’ — for the simple reason that it’s not cheating. It’s a preference. And it comes with an equalizing downside. If a softer ball is easier to grip, it also decelerates when you throw it, loses velocity and doesn’t travel as far. If it’s overinflated the way Rodgers likes it, then it travels farther, faster.

10 Reasons Why an Appeal Overturns Tom Brady’s Suspension

by Daniel J. Flynn12
May 2015

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2015/05/12/top-10-reasons-why-an-appeal-overturns-tom-bradys-suspension/

#5 The NFL Doesn’t Punish for Ball Tampering

Brady denies tampering. Another, some might argue better, quarterback, admits it. “I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football,” Aaron Rodgers told CBS’s Phil Simms pre-Deflategate, “even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it.” Aside from the rule-breaking admission, the Green Bay Packers QB’s preference for bigger footballs brings into question whether a lack of pressure provides an advantage or caters to a preference. Additionally, Fox’s cameras caught the Minnesota Vikings and Carolina Panthers heating balls this past season in frigid Minneapolis. NFL officiating guru Dean Blandino told the teams to knock it off. Rodgers has thus far escaped both the tongue lashing and the $25,000 fine. Rule 2, Section 1 states: “The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications…. the balls shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant just prior to the start of the game.” This didn’t happen. “In the event a home team ball does not conform to specifications, or its supply is exhausted,” Rule 2, Section 2 holds, “the Referee shall secure a proper ball from the visitors and, failing that, use the best available ball.” This didn’t happen.

Well done.

Both articles you quote say that Rodgers didn't break the rules.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Basic facts:

Brady was not punished for under inflating the balls.  FULL STOP  

He was punished for semi, kind of, sort of, maybe knowing that the equipment guys probably, maybe, likely, could have removed air from the balls AFTER the officials ruled them acceptable to play.

Rodgers stated he preferred overinflated balls and does so pre-inspection.  If inspection catches it that is up to them, and there has been no evidence he or anyone in the Packer organization has tampered with the balls after the fact as the Patriots are being punished for.

Lastly, Rodgers in his radio show stated that he overinflated the balls because the very nature of testing them releases air and he wants the balls at the high end of the pressure scale.

So we can bring the silliness to an end, yes?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Tugg Speedman

• All American

Well done.

Both articles you quote say that Rodgers didn't break the rules.

And they also say Brady did not either.  So if your going to suspend Brady for not breaking the rules, do the same to Rodgers.

StillAWarrior

• All American

But they did find a lot of evidence that the balls were intentionally deflated.  Short of an admission, it's impossible to get "proof" as many seem to want.  They applied a preponderance standard, and I think the evidence was pretty compelling.

Regarding the highlighted portion:

1) While they don't know "if he was really taking a leak" they were intrigued by his claim that he used the urinal in that bathroom.  This was intriguing because the bathroom, which McNally said he used regularly, didn't have a urinal.

2) They tested and found that it was simple to deflate that number of balls in that time frame.  Even for someone who had never done it before.

warriorchick

• All American
And they also say Brady did not either.  So if your going to suspend Brady for not breaking the rules, do the same to Rodgers.

It's my understanding that Rodgers inflates the balls to his liking before they are inspected and hopes they pass muster.  That's a lot different than tampering with them afterwards.
Have some patience, FFS.

Tugg Speedman

• All American

But they did find a lot of evidence that the balls were intentionally deflated.  Short of an admission, it's impossible to get "proof" as many seem to want.  They applied a preponderance standard, and I think the evidence was pretty compelling.

Regarding the highlighted portion:

1) While they don't know "if he was really taking a leak" they were intrigued by his claim that he used the urinal in that bathroom.  This was intriguing because the bathroom, which McNally said he used regularly, didn't have a urinal.

2) They tested and found that it was simple to deflate that number of balls in that time frame.  Even for someone who had never done it before.

Well we also have a lot of proof that Rodgers intentionally over-inflated his footballs, he said so!

Again, the NFL set a new standard yesterday (which I don't agree with) and they are going to need to apply it evenly.

So next year ....

* If Eli Manning wears gloves, does that get a suspension?

* During a home game in December in Minnesota, if players are found warming the balls by using a heater, does that get a suspension?

Side note, Rodgers will never again sneak an over-inflated ball past the refs again.  Will that affect his passing?  If not, why was he so insistent on having them over-inflated?

StillAWarrior

• All American
Well we also have a lot of proof that Rodgers intentionally over-inflated his footballs, he said so!

Before testing.

Clearly "intentionally obtuse."  Although that shouldn't really be a revelation to me.  Not sure why I keep "biting."
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 02:17:10 PM by StillAWarrior »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
It's my understanding that Rodgers inflates the balls to his liking before they are inspected and hopes they pass muster.  That's a lot different than tampering with them afterwards.

Before testing.

Clearly "intentionally obtuse."  Although that shouldn't really be a revelation to me.  Not sure why I keep "biting.:

If it was that important to him, how do we know if did nothing to the balls after inspection?  How do we know an ambitious assistant trainer did not find a way to "please everyone" and give the balls a few pumps when no was looking?  

Has anyone looked into it?  

Are we only waiting for another team (the Bears?) to complain and then open an investigation?  And when that investigation starts, are we all sure Rodgers survives?

My point is this is why setting new standards like they did yesterday matters.  This is why this is such a giant clusterf**k
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 02:01:14 PM by Heisenberg »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Side note, Rodgers will never again sneak an over-inflated ball past the refs again.  Will that affect his passing?  If not, why was he so insistent on having them over-inflated?

And with this bit of revisionist history out there, I bow out.  As my father always says "never argue with a fool, you'll only end up on their level"
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
And with this bit of revisionist history out there, I bow out.  As my father always says "never argue with a fool, you'll only end up on their level"

What part of this Rodgers quote don't you understand.

I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football,” Aaron Rodgers told CBS’s Phil Simms pre-Deflategate, “even go over what they
allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it.”

Eng, you really disappoint me ... I thought you had an independent mind and were strong enough to think on your own.  It appears you want to "get along" and bash me.  You had such promise.  You're just a sheep

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Dude, you need serious help.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
What part of this Rodgers quote don't you understand.

I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football,” Aaron Rodgers told CBS’s Phil Simms pre-Deflategate, “even go over what they
allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it.”

Eng, you really disappoint me ... I thought you had an independent mind and were strong enough to think on your own.  It appears you want to "get along" and bash me.  You had such promise.  You're just a sheep

What part of that phrase says "sneak".  He overfills the balls and leaves it to the officials to determine if they are acceptable or not.  That is the process, no where does he approach "sneak"

Definition:  acting or done surreptitiously, unofficially, or without warning

BTW you can call me a sheep all you want, if choosing to apply logic and rational thought to situations and calling people out when they clearly are choosing to not apply logic to a situation is considered being a sheep.....BHAAAAAA

« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 02:20:09 PM by mu03eng »

StillAWarrior

• All American
If it was that important to him, how do we know if did nothing to the balls after inspection?  How do we know an ambitious assistant trainer did not find a way to "please everyone" and give the balls a few pumps when no was looking?

We don't.  If someone makes an allegation, they should do a preliminary investigation -- re-test the balls at half-time.  If all the balls measure higher than they measured at the pre-game inspection, conduct a full-scale investigation.  If the evidence in that full-scale investigation reveals that it is more probable than not that GB added air after the inspection (and that Rodgers generally knew about it), then punish them.  In other words, treat Rodgers and the Packers the same way that they treated Brady and the Patriots.

But you knew all of this.  I'm going to follow the advice of mu03eng's father.  A little too late, I might add.

brandx

Ners?  Ners?

Has an old friend hacked Heisenberg's account?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
I thought everyone knew its so cold in GB that after over-inflating the balls pre-game, after sitting on the sidelines before the game starts the PSI will drop to regulation levels by kick-off, simple physics that Rodgers learned in college.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 03:33:53 PM by Michael Kenyon »

WarriorInNYC

• All American
Ners?  Ners?

Has an old friend hacked Heisenberg's account?

+1000  I was just about to say the same thing

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
This is a hilarious thread.
I'm a Bears fan and even I can't stretch this into Rodgers doing something wrong.

In fact, he even won Celebrity Jeopardy yesterday.

brandx

This is a hilarious thread.
I'm a Bears fan and even I can't stretch this into Rodgers doing something wrong.

In fact, he even won Celebrity Jeopardy yesterday.

Maybe Heisenberg is upset that Cutler's balls are too soft.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Maybe Heisenberg is upset that Cutler's balls are too soft.

I'm not ... but Kristin Cavallari is

Benny B

• All American
I remember an old comedy bit regarding proposed alcohol testing for Olympic bobsledders... the joke being something along the lines of any team who tested positive and made it to the finish line should automatically receive a gold medal.

If Aaron Rodgers admitted* that he is over-inflating balls, the only punishment the NFL should be doling out is to the opposing team in the form of spotting the Packers 4 points at the beginning of the game.

* Aaron Rodgers has a history of nonchalantly riling up opposing fans and the media.  You can take it at face value, but I'll take 'Most Gullible Scoopers' for $1,000, Alex.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GB Warrior

• All American
I'm not ... but Kristin Cavallari is

I'll bet he keeps knocking her up to have a fighting chance at a legitimate quarterback in his bloodlines so he can live vicariously through them. Kind of a Ted Thompsion philosophy on the draft - shoot a lot of bullets, hit a lot of targets.

brandx

I'll bet he keeps knocking her up to have a fighting chance at a legitimate quarterback in his bloodlines so he can live vicariously through them. Kind of a Ted Thompsion philosophy on the draft - shoot a lot of bullets, hit a lot of targets.

Just what the NFL needs - a whole clan of pouty, interception throwers.

GB Warrior

• All American
Just what the NFL needs - a whole clan of pouty, interception throwers.

How many is a clan?

DegenerateDish

• All American
If we should be upset about anything, it's that there will be another unvaccinated Cutler child soon.

brandx

If we should be upset about anything, it's that there will be another unvaccinated Cutler child soon.

I already hate Cutler cuz he's a Bear, but (well actually I love Cutler cuz he's a Bear and we get to play them twice a year) does he need to throw another stone on the fire?

Benny B

• All American
I already hate Cutler cuz he's a Bear, but (well actually I love Cutler cuz he's a Bear and we get to play them twice a year) does he need to throw another stone on the fire?

Throwing wet stones on fires is what Cutler does best.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

brandx

And now Goodell has announced he is going to preside over Brady's appeal.

I'm sure he will do as good of a job as he did with Vilma, Rice, and Peterson.

Benny B

• All American
And now Goodell has announced he is going to preside over Brady's appeal.

I'm sure he will do as good of a job as he did with Vilma, Rice, and Peterson.

In a related story, the Boston Globe is reporting that one of the deflated footballs has gone on the record to say that Brady's suspension is unfair and is threatening its livelihood.