collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sooooo.... Texas?  (Read 29910 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Sooooo.... Texas?
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2021, 05:04:27 PM »
I think we should get back into Vietnam and continue the American War of Aggression just to prove to the world we can leave a war the right way. Otherwise, we'll be a laughingstock.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2021, 05:13:41 PM »
And I like Austin. But after being there a few times…eh….reminds me of Madison with more glass towers.

I really like Austin and I think it has more culture/better food/stuff to do than Madison, but it has one of the ugliest skylines in history.  Brutal bland 80s oil money skyscrapers that clash violently with all the new glassy buildings and condos.

There were  ~2,000,000 casualties during the battle of Stalingrad in less than 8 months... not even in the same stratosphere.

I think he was being facetious

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2021, 05:15:28 PM »
Go Daddy will no longer host Texas' snitch site 
(p.s. Yo, Texas... snitches get stitches)

https://gizmodo.com/godaddy-is-giving-texas-abortion-snitching-site-the-boo-1847616447

Uber and Lyft will pay the legal fees of any driver sued under the new Texas law.

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/03/1034140480/lyft-and-uber-will-pay-drivers-legal-fees-if-theyre-sued-under-texas-abortion-la

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2021, 05:20:46 PM »

I think he was being facetious
dammit! I just finished listening to Ghosts of the Ostfront (Hardcore History podcast) and was excited to flex my Eastern Front knowledge.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2021, 05:33:31 PM »
We also won't and in many ways can't properly vet all of these people coming into the country.  It's a process that should take 2 yrs as well.  And this narrative that it was a "20 year war" is also imbecilic whether it came from Trump or Biden.

It's not my fault that Biden doesn't know we have troops in Syria, South Korea, or Germany.  Nor is it my fault that unlike other areas, the Middle East for example, we can't maintain a balance of power because we have zero allies in the region or counter intelligence on the ground.  And it certainly isn't my fault that Biden is a total assclown, who has never made a good foreign policy decision, lied about the likelihood the Taliban would take over the country, didn't know Al Qaeda still exists, created ISIS with Obama, and has made the world far less safe. 

The utter incompetence  of Blinken, Austin, Milley, and that smug piece of garbage NSA is even more upsetting than Biden's cluelessness.   There are also countless pets of servicemen and women that could have been boarded on empty planes.  This was a total abomination and beyond reprehensible.  Ransom payments to the Taliban  to get those stranded  out will not make anyone forget this unconscionable disaster and dereliction of duty.

Can I honestly ask where you're getting some of your sources?

Because, this is what I found on a quick google search: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/09/01/fact-check-image-falsely-claims-show-military-dogs-left-kabul/5667668001/

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #105 on: September 03, 2021, 05:39:57 PM »
I think we should get back into Vietnam and continue the American War of Aggression just to prove to the world we can leave a war the right way. Otherwise, we'll be a laughingstock.

The "wars" aren't analogous at all.  We weren't worried about Vietnamese attacking the Western World or our homeland.  And again, it's not getting out, it's HOW we got out and the ignominious decision making during that process.  I'm a bit hawkish and anachronistic so I realize most people don't agree with my views.
I will keep them to myself. However, there is no way to sugarcoat the utter s-show that happened regardless of you and others that continue to redirect the conversation.  Nor is it conceivable that Biden isn't a pathological liar.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #106 on: September 03, 2021, 05:41:33 PM »
Houston is way cooler than Austin.
Dude, you’ll have to go on ignore if you persist with that sort disinformation.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #107 on: September 03, 2021, 05:51:32 PM »
Go Daddy will no longer host Texas' snitch site 
(p.s. Yo, Texas... snitches get stitches)

https://gizmodo.com/godaddy-is-giving-texas-abortion-snitching-site-the-boo-1847616447

Uber and Lyft will pay the legal fees of any driver sued under the new Texas law.

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/03/1034140480/lyft-and-uber-will-pay-drivers-legal-fees-if-theyre-sued-under-texas-abortion-la

I will settle for bad people doing good things given the state of things, but this is a pretty good PR campaign for two companies that need one. Now pay your gig workers a living wage.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #108 on: September 03, 2021, 06:02:10 PM »
dammit! I just finished listening to Ghosts of the Ostfront (Hardcore History podcast) and was excited to flex my Eastern Front knowledge.

Speaking of 20 years ago and Stalingrad, I enjoyed the film Enemy at the Gates.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #109 on: September 03, 2021, 06:05:34 PM »
Not really. We got almost all Americans out. (Only ones left are those who stayed after repeated contacts.). Ten of thousands of Afghan refugees airlifted out as well.

Could have been better. Hardly a disaster.

This exactly.
Interestingly it was the largest airlift in history.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #110 on: September 03, 2021, 06:19:30 PM »
This exactly.
Interestingly it was the largest airlift in history.

“Days after the Biden administration finished evacuating about 124,000 people from Afghanistan, it’s coming to grips with the reality that it doesn’t know who many of those people are.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-03/u-s-struggles-to-learn-who-s-who-in-afghan-airlift-of-124-000

tower912

• All American
« Reply #111 on: September 03, 2021, 06:41:07 PM »
My wife at dinner tonight.  "$10,000,000 would not get me to move to Texas or Florida right now."
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #112 on: September 03, 2021, 07:00:40 PM »
Here's a thought...split da $10 mil with her and ewe kan just goe while she stays in MI, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2021, 07:20:52 PM »
Right.  This  was a 20 year war similar to WW2 with battles analogous to Stalingrad.  We will agree to disagree FBM.  Is Korea a 70 yr war?

LOOOOLLLL  Seriously?

You are comparing a situation where we have been asked to stay in Korea by a legit government versus a situation where we were essentially an occupying force?

It was a 20 year war.  We have been running military operations and drone strikes until the end.  All your spinning doesn't change that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2021, 07:23:52 PM »
“Days after the Biden administration finished evacuating about 124,000 people from Afghanistan, it’s coming to grips with the reality that it doesn’t know who many of those people are.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-03/u-s-struggles-to-learn-who-s-who-in-afghan-airlift-of-124-000
Ah yes. Bitch that they’re not getting people out. Then, when they get people out, bitch that they got people out. What’s the next complaint? 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #115 on: September 03, 2021, 07:32:56 PM »
Here's a thought...split da $10 mil with her and ewe kan just goe while she stays in MI, hey?
Texas is so f'd up right now that i almost want them to secede.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #116 on: September 03, 2021, 07:37:38 PM »
Texas is so f'd up right now that i almost want them to secede.

I am not so crazy to think there's a civil war coming.

But I'm not so against the idea of a few different countries emerging. It's pretty clear there are significant cultural divides by region that are making things worse and aren't going to be solved anytime soon (if ever).

NE, MW, South, West, great plains/mountain.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #117 on: September 03, 2021, 07:41:18 PM »

Civil War?  They aren't worth fighting for.  Bye.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #118 on: September 03, 2021, 08:11:22 PM »
Ah yes. Bitch that they’re not getting people out. Then, when they get people out, bitch that they got people out. What’s the next complaint?

Bitch that too many of them 'don't practice American values' (read: are brown)

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #119 on: September 03, 2021, 08:21:25 PM »
Bitch that too many of them 'don't practice American values' (read: are brown)
We have to get them out but they are not welcome here

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #120 on: September 03, 2021, 09:29:18 PM »

But I'm not so against the idea of a few different countries emerging. It's pretty clear there are significant cultural divides by region that are making things worse and aren't going to be solved anytime soon (if ever).

But thats been the case for most of this country's existence.  Think of the scene in the bar in Good Will Hunting talking about Gordon Wood and the agrarian economies of the south vs the entrepreneurial capitalistic economies of Pennsylvania and the NE.   There have always been wildly different pockets.

As long as states have rights and autonomy, that can happen just fine.  Things change, things are cyclical, it happens.  I think California would secede before Texas ever would.

The rest of this thread is getting a bit circle jerky.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #121 on: September 04, 2021, 02:15:47 AM »
It seems that in government there's a competition to see what state or nation can come up with the stupidest thing.  I was going to say stupidest solution to the problem, but in so many cases there actually isn't even a problem.  Just stupidity.  We need better qualifications for people before they can enter state or national politics - like Singapore has - in order to weed out the incompetent and stupid. 

Yes, Singapore's criteria would eliminate probably 60% of congress and the last 3 presidents. 
https://singaporelegaladvice.com/law-articles/singapore-president-qualifications/
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2021, 07:34:00 AM »

Sort of there’s a cultural divide? More people in Texas don’t agree with what Texas is doing than probably live in New England. They just get jettisoned into a dominionist authoritarian fate in this scenario?

People love to rag on Alabama, but there’s a lot of people who aren’t civil war enthusiasts who live there, more than say live in Delaware. Does the fact that they’re the minority faction within that state make them worth splitting off into a separate country from those enlightened states where the ratio is reversed?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2021, 07:41:46 AM »
Jesmu said he doesn't think there's a civil war coming. He said he wouldn't mind multiple countries. I wouldn't either provided that any referendum had >75% voter turnout so we could get a real read on the thoughts of the voters
Maigh Eo for Sam

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2021, 07:55:25 AM »
I guess I should have boldfaced "there are significant cultural divides" but was on my phone. The cultural divides, such as they are, are urban-rural. I used Texas and Alabama as examples, but could just as easily used California. There were 6M R-voters in California, and a Calexit scenario doesn't really resolve their cultural divide that exists within California, no?