[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Layer a candidate at Liberty  (Read 10392 times)

Mike Deane

• Starter
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Layer a candidate at Liberty
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 09:06:41 AM »
Who is the old "sage" that you would have brought in to work with TC and improve his in-game coaching?

I think what you have said sounds good (seriously, it does)... but I have to imagine if it was that easy, every program would just do that.

Step 1: Hire young, aggressive assistant from successful program
Step 2: Hire former head coach with excellent X and O's ability to ride the bench as an assistant for 10+years
Step 3: Recruit well
Step 4: Win national championships

It can't be this easy.

All coaches have some level of ego, and finding a "hank raymonds type" can't be easy, or else everybody would have a guy like that. Right?

I'm fully aware that TC is a tough dude to work for (I personally know some people who have worked in the basketball office).

I'm also aware that his "style" is not for everybody, and some coaches moved on.

Tom Crean is not the perfect coach, father, manager or person (I know this).

However, I'm not sure it's as cut and dried as people like to make it, ya know?

When when of Buzz's coaches gets mentioned for another job, nobody blames Buzz.

When one of Crean's coaches (many of whom were promoted) took other jobs, out came the pitchforks and torches.

Why don't people blame Buzz? Because his ties are the correct length?

*For the record, I don't bring this stuff up in defense of Tom Crean, but rather to point out some of the hypocrisy of some people. MU's former head coach (regardless of who it was) was often criticized for everything that went on with the program (right down to the logo, pre-game music, post game show, etc.).

Where are these people now that Buzz has taken over? Everything is perfect now?

Tom Diener came to mind... as a great in-game coach.  I understand he is still a high school coach.  But there is a reason why he keeps winning.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 09:14:55 AM »
This is yet another example of Too Tan Tommy running off a coach.

Do you really think Layer would be publicly mentioned as a candidate if he didn't have serious interest in the position?

Cream can't retain any staff because the guy is a complete egomaniac and an ass on top of that. Layer wants out of MU fast because he sees the righting on the wall, Tommy Naismith doesn't know what he's doing!

Wait, wait wait. What?! Crean isn't MU's coach anymore? And Layer is still being considered for a promotion with another program?

This doesn't make sense! For the past 9 years MU has been losing coaches because of Tommy boy, not because they received promotions. Layer can't take this job... it defies my logic (ie Crean is a d*ck and runs off all of his coaches).

I'll bet Layer stays for years. Without Tommy around, MU will be able to retain everybody, even if they are offered better positions elsewhere.

Fantastic!!

You guys realize it's the guys "defending" Crean who bring him up all the time? This thread was about Dale Layer and this bizarre and lengthy defense of Crean came completely out of left field!

bma725

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 09:28:52 AM »
Tom Diener came to mind... as a great in-game coach.  I understand he is still a high school coach.  But there is a reason why he keeps winning.

Yeah, he recruits the best players. 

Check out Tom Diener's record when he wasn't coaching at an MPS school.  When he doesn't have superior talent, he doesn't do well.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2009, 09:30:18 AM »
Fantastic!!

You guys realize it's the guys "defending" Crean who bring him up all the time? This thread was about Dale Layer and this bizarre and lengthy defense of Crean came completely out of left field!

My point is, if there were a lot of threads blasting the previous coach every time an assistant left (there are some, trust me), shouldn't there be an equal amount of outrage for one of the current assistants being considered for another job?

Or, because the current coach doesn't wear a wind suit in Maui, we give him a pass?

*Again, I'm not blaming the current head coach if an assistant leaves, but I also didn't blame the former head coach every time an assistant left.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:32:12 AM by 2002mualum »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 09:34:28 AM »
Yes, but Dale Layer did lead CSU to a conference championship and NCAA Tournament bid, a feat even the The Legend could not match.I suspect the good folks of Ft. Collins would take a Mountain West Championship and tourney bid over 20 wins and a trip to the NIT any day.

And CSU showed their appreciation by firing Layer.   ;)

PS....I like Layer a ton.  Thought he was one of the best things Buzz did.  In fact, Buzz's staff is impressive.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 09:36:32 AM »

How do you like your computer video? Medium well, ketchup, raw onions, or topped with a crean sauce?

In this case, in a blender.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2009, 09:36:43 AM »

No offense, but if it was as simple as taking the best high school coach in the area and making him an assistant, SJU, DePaul, and Seton Hall are really f-ing up royally. There has to be some quality high school coaches in those markets that they could promote and immediately start winning.

Again, I don't have all of the answers, but I really don't think it's as easy as everybody makes it sound.

"We need an x and o's guy!"  ::)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 11:32:17 AM »
I posted this on the other board as well.  Look, I've worked in the media market where Liberty University is located.  I know the beat reporters.  The Layer name was just thrown in -- he is not a candidate and I doubt he would consider it if approached.  I will eat my computer video, tape the act and post it on YouTube if this happens.

Ouch.
Ludum habemus.

Mike Deane

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 01:37:43 PM »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys

Mike Deane