[Today at 09:42:25 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by #UnleashSean
[Today at 09:35:14 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU up to #11 in Winn's power rankings  (Read 937 times)

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
MU up to #11 in Winn's power rankings
« on: December 20, 2007, 11:48:25 PM »
up from 16 last week.. with the following comment:
Marquette Golden Eagles (8-1)
If Kansas's Mario Chalmers, as was stated earlier in these rankings, is the nation's most prominent thief, then who are the best major-conference steal duos? According to kenpom.com stats through Sunday, Chalmers and his backcourt mate Russell Robinson appear to be the best pair of guards, but are matched in productivity by Clemson's inside-out duo of James Mays and Cliff Hammonds. Marquette's Dominic James and Jerel McNeal, who's the reigning Big East defensive player of the year, aren't far behind:

DuosTeamPlayer 1Steal %/
Player 2Steal %
Mays/HammondsClemson6.9/3.7
Chalmers/RobinsonKansas6.5/4.0
Mims/DouglasFlorida St.5.0/4.8
T. Smith/J. SmithTennessee4.8/4.6
James/McNealMarquette4.6/4.6

Next three: 12/21 vs. Coppin State, 12/29 vs. Savannah State, 1/3 vs. Providence

Georgetown stays at 6:
Georgetown Hoyas (8-0)
Saturday's meeting between Georgetown and Memphis will be one of those games that shapes national opinions for months to come. All of the Tigers' opportunities to prove themselves as title contenders come outside of Conference USA play -- with this game being the biggest opportunity -- and they won't be taken as seriously if they fall at home to the Hoyas. Georgetown, meanwhile, has played far too easy of a non-conference slate thus far, and it's uncertain how well the Hoyas will play in their first truly marquee game without Jeff Green. One I thing I hope I don't hear is how Memphis' goal should be to play the game as fast as possible to get Georgetown out of its comfort zone. The Tigers are currently almost 10 possessions per game faster, at 74.2 per 40 minutes compared to the Hoyas' 64.3. But Memphis' offense is so much less efficient than the Georgetown's is: Even adjusted (by kenpom.com) for competition, the Tigers rank 94th in the nation at 1.067 points per possession, while the Hoyas rank 23rd at 1.152. Georgetown -- with the exception of Roy Hibbert -- has the athletes to compete, and the more opportunities its efficient offense is given to score, the more likely it is to pull away.

Next three: 12/22 at Memphis, 12/29 vs. American, 12/31 vs. Fordham

pitt enters the rankings at 15:
Pittsburgh Panthers (10-0)
The Panthers' Sam Young might go down as one of the best Q&A subjects of the year. How could the guy who authored the following motivational message -- and posted it in his locker -- go his entire sophomore year only giving a handful of interviews?

I am strong, body mind and spirit. I am different. I am cocky, confident, conceited but humble. I am serious but hilarious, independent but incomplete. I am special. I am a king in my own mind and have the wits of a God. I am the master of my fate and the captain of my soul. I am a believer, for believing is understanding life. I AM A WINNER, I can't lose to any man, for when they come into contact with me, the have entered MY world. I am impatient, I will leave anyone behind that doesn't want to help themselves. I AM ONE OF A KIND, I am Sam Young.

Next three: 12/20 vs. Duke (in NYC), 12/29 at Dayton, 1/2 vs. Lafayette
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

feedback