[May 19, 2024, 06:23:47 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Schedule Talk with Mike Broeker by Shooter McGavin
[May 19, 2024, 01:06:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Coaching Carousel  (Read 142834 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #1575 on: April 11, 2024, 02:11:23 PM »
I think you are correct.  And I don't understand from the Bulls perspective why they would even care at this point.

I'm not sure Billy wants to coach college in the current scene.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1576 on: April 11, 2024, 02:12:40 PM »
I'm not sure Billy wants to coach college in the current scene.

You may be correct. But IMO if he is let go by the Bulls, he may not get another shot.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1577 on: April 11, 2024, 02:13:21 PM »
Why would Donovan want to get back into recruiting and the pressure of the Kentucky job? 

There's no pressure on him with the Bulls.  Everyone puts all the blame on Jerry and the front office.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1578 on: April 11, 2024, 02:17:13 PM »
Why would Donovan want to get back into recruiting and the pressure of the Kentucky job? 

Obviously things can change, but from these remarks he wants nothing to do with it.

https://twitter.com/TheDunkCentral/status/1742296065225670749?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1742296065225670749|twgr^a0cd32147c286dc9e8657636c3fc116fb8a1acbd|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.si.com%2Ffannation%2Fname-image-likeness%2Fnews%2Fbulls-coach-donovan-shares-nil-challenges-transfer-portal-issues-wad9

There's no pressure on him with the Bulls.  Everyone puts all the blame on Jerry and the front office.

Mostly because it's true.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #1579 on: April 11, 2024, 02:35:43 PM »

Where it solidly belongs.  Worst owner in sports.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #1580 on: April 11, 2024, 03:10:58 PM »
that makes sense plus he really was happy at baylor  they have always treated him well there.  i think he really respected his players and felt he had a commitment to them as well.  and i know all of you agnostics and atheists here have difficulty understanding this, but he really is a spiritual man and he was praying over this decision.  you guys should try it sometime 

he could very easily retire there as BIG man on campus, similar to how al retired from MU
My goodness.

Just take the L.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1581 on: April 11, 2024, 03:17:43 PM »
Fluff

Always have to get personal, don't you? Very insecure.

My goodness.

Just take the L.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1582 on: April 11, 2024, 04:04:34 PM »
The state of Kentucky is learning some harsh lessons this spring about its current standing in the college basketball world.

I was about to post something similar to this and then looked back at this thread.

This, 100%.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1583 on: April 11, 2024, 04:24:13 PM »
I was about to post something similar to this and then looked back at this thread.

This, 100%.

I have a theory that with rise of social media, coaches have a much better sense the level of toxicity each potential job has. 

15 years ago, Calipari is basically dealing with sports radio donkeys and message boards.  All stuff that was toxic at times but still less direct.

Being the Alabama football coach has more pressure than South Carolina.  Being the Kentucky basketball coach has more pressure than Auburn.  Those things have always been true.  Add the toxicity of the fanbases, I think it’s a tough sell even with all the money thrown at them.

Could Scott Drew win more at Kentucky?  Maybe but at what cost and how much goodwill does one title get you anyway in Lexington?  The high might be higher but the lows are way lower.  I get why Drew stayed in Waco and if he got a little sweetener for him, his program and staff leveraging Kentucky?  Well, the folks in the Bluegrass state may want to get used to that

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1584 on: April 11, 2024, 04:36:51 PM »

Why would he? I think he would be crazy to leave the Bulls. As you said he has no pressure. Or at most he has pressure to bring in a .400 to .450 wining team and a 9th or 10th place finish. He is basically doing that with his eyes closed.

The only reasons I could imagine are significantly more money at UK and if he has any competitive pride left or he senses the Bull's have a change of heart and make a change at GM that would send him packing. The Bulls are his last NBA job, so he may want to move before his value takes a further hit.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1585 on: April 11, 2024, 04:43:28 PM »
I have a theory that with rise of social media, coaches have a much better sense the level of toxicity each potential job has. 

15 years ago, Calipari is basically dealing with sports radio donkeys and message boards.  All stuff that was toxic at times but still less direct.

Being the Alabama football coach has more pressure than South Carolina.  Being the Kentucky basketball coach has more pressure than Auburn.  Those things have always been true.  Add the toxicity of the fanbases, I think it’s a tough sell even with all the money thrown at them.

Could Scott Drew win more at Kentucky?  Maybe but at what cost and how much goodwill does one title get you anyway in Lexington?  The high might be higher but the lows are way lower.  I get why Drew stayed in Waco and if he got a little sweetener for him, his program and staff leveraging Kentucky?  Well, the folks in the Bluegrass state may want to get used to that

This is well said. I think in a lot of careers, the juice to move “up” isn’t always worth the squeeze.

Hurley, as an example, has won back to back titles at UConn. Guy owns that program, will get rewarded nicely, and has it made there. Would going to Lexington for maybe an extra $1M be worth it, with everything you described that comes along with it? Heck no.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1586 on: April 11, 2024, 04:44:05 PM »
Why would he? I think he would be crazy to leave the Bulls. As you said he has no pressure. Or at most he has pressure to bring in a .400 to .450 wining team and a 9th or 10th place finish. He is basically doing that with his eyes closed.

The only reasons I could imagine are significantly more money at UK and if he has any competitive pride left or he senses the Bull's have a change of heart and make a change at GM that would send him packing. The Bulls are his last NBA job, so he may want to move before his value takes a further hit.
Do you think a competitor like Billy Donovan is happy?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1587 on: April 11, 2024, 04:46:04 PM »

It takes forever to cycle guys out of the NBA.  People keep hiring Doc Rivers

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1588 on: April 11, 2024, 04:49:45 PM »
This is well said. I think in a lot of careers, the juice to move “up” isn’t always worth the squeeze.

Hurley, as an example, has won back to back titles at UConn. Guy owns that program, will get rewarded nicely, and has it made there. Would going to Lexington for maybe an extra $1M be worth it, with everything you described that comes along with it? Heck no.

I just don’t think it’s worth it for guys like Hurley or Drew.  Maybe if you’re chasing a title, Kentucky has its advantages but look at schools making Final 4’s the last decade.  Good coaches can win at weird places.  Winning can make good programs great. 

Was Villanova a great program before Jay Wright?  The answer is no, despite the title in ‘85.  Wright could have taken that job when Calipari did.  He had more success than Calipari and left a legend

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1589 on: April 11, 2024, 05:04:36 PM »
It takes forever to cycle guys out of the NBA.  People keep hiring Doc Rivers
Mostly agree, but by any reasonable measure Doc has been way more successful.

The Bulls themselves were so embarrassed by his last extension they did not announce it to the public.

For the record, replacing Donovan will be little more that rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. As significant as signing a guy to a 10 day contract.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1590 on: April 11, 2024, 05:06:14 PM »
I just don’t think it’s worth it for guys like Hurley or Drew.  Maybe if you’re chasing a title, Kentucky has its advantages but look at schools making Final 4’s the last decade.  Good coaches can win at weird places.  Winning can make good programs great. 

Was Villanova a great program before Jay Wright?  The answer is no, despite the title in ‘85.  Wright could have taken that job when Calipari did.  He had more success than Calipari and left a legend

What I think it is currently about is resources.  Once you reach a certain amount of resources to get the players, facilities, and fans you can win it all.  Why would anyone trade in being on easy street for a job where you're under a microscope... and the expectations from the fan base is that they should always be in the final four.  Who wants that pressure or job loss and expectations for more money.  I guess someone would... but why give up a good thing.

A lot more schools are able to come up with the resources to be competitive.  This ain't the 70s or even the 90s.  CBB has changed and the fans unreasonable expectations haven't.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1591 on: April 11, 2024, 05:09:26 PM »
What I think it is currently about is resources.  Once you reach a certain amount of resources to get the players, facilities, and fans you can win it all.  Why would anyone trade in being on easy street for a job where you're under a microscope... and the expectations from the fan base is that they should always be in the final four.  Who wants that pressure or job loss and expectations for more money.  I guess someone would... but why give up a good thing.

A lot more schools are able to come up with the resources to be competitive.  This ain't the 70s or even the 90s.  CBB has changed and the fans unreasonable expectations haven't.

That’s an excellent point as well.  And if you keep winning at a Baylor, the facilities and resources will keep getting better, especially when the perceived big boys start sniffing around your coach.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1592 on: April 11, 2024, 05:40:00 PM »
A couple of questions every coach should ask themselves

1.  Am I getting paid enough?
2.  Do I have enough resources to win?
3.  Am I happy where I am?

If you can answer no to all three of these then you take the job.  Otherwise you leverage the offer to increase pay and or resources.  If that can't be fixed you move on to a new job.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1593 on: April 11, 2024, 08:42:26 PM »
Pope your new UK coach.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1594 on: April 11, 2024, 08:44:50 PM »
College of Cardinals has spoken.   Send up the smoke.

I'll just take the W
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 08:46:56 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1595 on: April 11, 2024, 08:50:20 PM »
Imagine running John Calipari out of town for Mark Pope.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1596 on: April 11, 2024, 08:53:23 PM »

They want someone with a proven postseason track record

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1597 on: April 11, 2024, 08:54:40 PM »
Wojo to BYU!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #1598 on: April 11, 2024, 09:04:12 PM »

They’re gonna go back to 90s UK where they’ll land a Mashburn or two and mix in with local Kentucky kids.

And they might even get out of the first round. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

WeAreMarquette96

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1599 on: April 11, 2024, 09:17:13 PM »
Yikes, Trilly Donovan says the only other person who had interviewed with UK before they made this hire, other than who already gave them a flat out “no” was Shaka who had a zoom call interview..

feedback