'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Coaching Carousel  (Read 142883 times)

avid1010

• All American
Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #1300 on: April 08, 2024, 10:19:30 AM »
  it seems like being a d-bag comes easily to you...shocker!!  you always have to be a contrarian or wtf?!?

yeah, one of the most coveted jobs in basketball and they are probably going to offer it to a "cheater"??  nothing to do with considering a guy who beneath it all is a decent person who can coach err anything

i know this may be asking A LOT, but grow up a little bit
This is awesome.  You are questioning if Kentucky (home of Rick Pitino, Billy Gillispie, and Jon Calipari) would offer the position to a self-admitted (Drew) cheater?  Look...there's good odds this thing comes down to a guy who oversaw a program in which someone's immigration status was used to try to force him to a school and a guy who beat his girlfriend.

All that said, the most hilarious part of all this is that you were sure he was going to Louisville, and then Kentucky opens and you were sure he didn't take Louisville because he was waiting on Kentucky (in which case you shouldn't have been so sure he was taking Louisville). 

All this after having inside info on Michigan as well. 

I think you might be Trilly Donovan...

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #1301 on: April 08, 2024, 10:20:39 AM »
If you were serious, you would have written this in your first post.
But your first post mentioned nothing of her accomplishments. Which is pretty weird, given how much you care about women's athletics. Instead, your first post only took a swipe at her stance on transgender athletes.
Please stop now and let the thread stay on topic.

Oh, got it.  Both you and Hippie Hyperbole of whatever the hell his name is both know me and my intentions better than I do.  Why don't you both mansplain a little more to me about what I think.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1302 on: April 08, 2024, 10:23:08 AM »
  it seems like being a d-bag comes easily to you...shocker!!  you always have to be a contrarian or wtf?!?

yeah, one of the most coveted jobs in basketball and they are probably going to offer it to a "cheater"??  nothing to do with considering a guy who beneath it all is a decent person who can coach err anything

i know this may be asking A LOT, but grow up a little bit

You do realize that the guy they gave their coveted job to last was...well, a cheater, right?  And continued to be a cheater while holding that coveted job.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1303 on: April 08, 2024, 10:24:02 AM »
Oh, got it.  Both you and Hippie Hyperbole of whatever the hell his name is both know me and my intentions better than I do.  Why don't you both mansplain a little more to me about what I think.

By the evidence presented, you clearly are a bigot and either don't have the intelligence or the self-control to keep your bigoted beliefs out of the Coaching Carousel topic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1304 on: April 08, 2024, 10:25:23 AM »
I'm glad to see the forum round into offseason form so effortlessly. Keep up the great work everyone!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1305 on: April 08, 2024, 10:26:29 AM »

When someone shows you who they are, believe them.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1306 on: April 08, 2024, 10:27:49 AM »
This is awesome.  You are questioning if Kentucky (home of Rick Pitino, Billy Gillispie, and Jon Calipari) would offer the position to a self-admitted (Drew) cheater?  Look...there's good odds this thing comes down to a guy who oversaw a program in which someone's immigration status was used to try to force him to a school and a guy who beat his girlfriend.

All that said, the most hilarious part of all this is that you were sure he was going to Louisville, and then Kentucky opens and you were sure he didn't take Louisville because he was waiting on Kentucky (in which case you shouldn't have been so sure he was taking Louisville). 

More like Trolly Donovan.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #1307 on: April 08, 2024, 10:27:55 AM »
By the evidence presented, you clearly are a bigot and either don't have the intelligence or the self-control to keep your bigoted beliefs out of the Coaching Carousel topic.

You are so right. Tell me more, genius.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1308 on: April 08, 2024, 10:29:37 AM »

Drilly Donovan...
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1309 on: April 08, 2024, 10:29:40 AM »
Again, Baylor literally SELF-REPORTED violations that Drew and his staff made to the NCAA.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/college-basketball/drews-cheating-stigma-now-has-merit

you're missing the point sally.  i fully realize reeko et.al. want to grind in the "cheating" thing because he/they know i'm a fan of scott drew.  if the "cheating" filter is used for every hire, then fine.  let's do a character biopsy on everyone and conveniently glaze over the real character attributes of the whole person.  overall, scott is a decent person and if he was truly a "dirty" person, he wouldn't carry the respect he does.  yes, he is a spiritual person who tries not to wear it on his sleeve, but yes, he would prefer to go somewhere where he feels free to exercise that attribute

we all know reeko doesn't need to pray because his picture is on God's tee shirts
don't...don't don't don't don't

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #1310 on: April 08, 2024, 10:31:34 AM »
When someone shows you who they are, believe them.

I guess I am just a lowly woman who is tired of men finding new ways to take away the limited opportunities that women have created for themselves. 

I stand by my comments that Dawn would be an amazing hire for Kentucky.  Of course she won't be considered because she is a woman, and how dare women cross over into spaces that were designed for men.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1311 on: April 08, 2024, 10:33:57 AM »
I agree with you.  Dawn is an amazing coach.  I don't think Kentucky is ready for a female African-American coach for the men's basketball team. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1312 on: April 08, 2024, 10:34:25 AM »

who the hell...listen jack wagon, i never said i was SURE he was going to louisville.  i merely said he was essentially being offered the job and he was considering it.  now get back to playing footsie with your buddies
don't...don't don't don't don't

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #1313 on: April 08, 2024, 10:36:50 AM »
It would be the coolest thing ever though...imagine a place like Kentucky making a move like that.  Totally progressive and a chance to rewrite the script on perceptions of that institution.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1314 on: April 08, 2024, 10:37:20 AM »
I agree with you.  Dawn is an amazing coach.  I don't think Kentucky is ready for a female African-American coach for the men's basketball team.
Hell Yes!!!!! Finally someone played the race card. I think this tread is now complete.

BTW, nice shot at the Kentucky bigots.  ;)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1315 on: April 08, 2024, 10:38:00 AM »
It would be. 

And WT, how Tubby Smith was treated still hangs over that job.   

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1316 on: April 08, 2024, 10:39:09 AM »
you're missing the point sally.  i fully realize reeko et.al. want to grind in the "cheating" thing because he/they know i'm a fan of scott drew.  if the "cheating" filter is used for every hire, then fine.  let's do a character biopsy on everyone and conveniently glaze over the real character attributes of the whole person.  overall, scott is a decent person and if he was truly a "dirty" person, he wouldn't carry the respect he does.  yes, he is a spiritual person who tries not to wear it on his sleeve, but yes, he would prefer to go somewhere where he feels free to exercise that attribute

we all know reeko doesn't need to pray because his picture is on God's tee shirts

He carries so much respect from his peers that the only coach perceived to be a bigger cheater in college basketball is the guy he'd be replacing.  But Kentucky has too much dignity to hire a cheater to coach its men's basketball program.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #1317 on: April 08, 2024, 10:42:27 AM »
It would be the coolest thing ever though...imagine a place like Kentucky making a move like that.  Totally progressive and a chance to rewrite the script on perceptions of that institution.

Dawn's a hell of a coach and I too hope it happens.

But not sure why you're here telling Marquette basketball fans this though. Get Mitch Barnhart on the line with your rec.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1318 on: April 08, 2024, 10:47:19 AM »
I guess I am just a lowly woman who is tired of men finding new ways to take away the limited opportunities that women have created for themselves. 

Yes, it's terrible when historically oppressed groups are denied opportunities.
You're this close to getting it.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #1319 on: April 08, 2024, 11:09:42 AM »
Yes, it's terrible when historically oppressed groups are denied opportunities.
You're this close to getting it.

No one is saying they can't compete according to their biological sex, while still being allowed to express their gender identities.  However, their "validation" does not have to come at the expense of women's sports, and women's safety in sports/locker rooms.  Maybe it's their fellow men who are, in fact, the bigots.  Maybe you should be more accepting to transpeople wanting to compete in your categories.  Maybe Lia Thomas should have competed in men's swimming events (college and beyond) where they are more appropriate fit biologically.

Stating this does not make me a bigot or uneducated.  I have different life experiences from you on the basis of actually growing up as a woman and being a feminist and fighting for women's rights.  I earned a PhD in chemistry where few women do so, even today, because of harrassment from colleagues...our group of 17 had just 4 women.  I did a postdoc in academia and made notes of the very different ways women were treated and the number of women professors in my department.  I competed at very high levels in women's sports and had opportunities to do things like win state championships in team sports against other girls or compete for a spot in New Englands (track and field), while not having to worry about being injured by someone who was miscategorized. I also competed in coed sports where there are very clear differences in levels of physical ability -- speed and strength.  Sorry that you do not like or agree with my opinion, but it is a lived experience, which you cannot possibly appreciate as a man.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1320 on: April 08, 2024, 11:15:40 AM »

I stand by my comments that Dawn would be an amazing hire for Kentucky.  Of course she won't be considered because she is a woman, and how dare women cross over into spaces that were designed for men.

Except when you introduced Dawn Staley to this thread, you mentioned none of her abilities or accomplishments. You mentioned nothing about her being deserving, or about it being a potentially groundbreaking achievement that would reflect well on all women in the profession.

Instead, you took a cheap swipe at her for her comments about transgender athletes. Instead of talking about women's rights, you took a shot at transgender rights.

Only after getting pushback on your bigoted comment did you start talking about Staley's outstanding coaching ability.

So you can keep trying to obfuscate, but what you said in introducing Staley in this thread is right there for everybody to read.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1321 on: April 08, 2024, 11:16:26 AM »
No one is saying they can't compete according to their biological sex, while still being allowed to express their gender identities.  However, their "validation" does not have to come at the expense of women's sports, and women's safety in sports/locker rooms.  Maybe it's their fellow men who are, in fact, the bigots.  Maybe you should be more accepting to transpeople wanting to compete in your categories.  Maybe Lia Thomas should have competed in men's swimming events (college and beyond) where they are more appropriate fit biologically.

Stating this does not make me a bigot or uneducated.  I have different life experiences from you on the basis of actually growing up as a woman and being a feminist and fighting for women's rights.  I earned a PhD in chemistry where few women do so, even today, because of harrassment from colleagues...our group of 17 had just 4 women.  I did a postdoc in academia and made notes of the very different ways women were treated and the number of women professors in my department.  I competed at very high levels in women's sports and had opportunities to do things like win state championships in team sports against other girls or compete for a spot in New Englands (track and field), while not having to worry about being injured by someone who was miscategorized. I also competed in coed sports where there are very clear differences in levels of physical ability -- speed and strength.  Sorry that you do not like or agree with my opinion, but it is a lived experience, which you cannot possibly appreciate as a man.

Too bad your experiences turned you into a bigot.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1322 on: April 08, 2024, 11:18:35 AM »
Sorry that you do not like or agree with my opinion, but it is a lived experience, which you cannot possibly appreciate as a man.

If only you had the same respect for others' lived experiences that you demand for yourself.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1323 on: April 08, 2024, 11:20:13 AM »
Anyhoo ... back to the Coaching Carousel ...

The Athletic listed 9 potential candidates, and Shaka was #9. Here's what they said:

It was made perfectly clear by Smart’s reps that he wasn’t interested in some prominent openings earlier in this cycle, but none of those jobs were Kentucky. The easy argument against this is that Smart already lived the life of a major, state school, hyper-high profile job, and it didn’t work out. But Texas and Kentucky are not remotely similar jobs. Kentucky is a basketball school — maybe the basketball school — and is the equivalent of Marquette on all available steroids. We wonder if Smart would have interest in turning his life upside down in the most dramatic way possible, but wouldn’t he at least have to answer the call, if it comes?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #1324 on: April 08, 2024, 11:23:05 AM »
If only you had the same respect for others' lived experiences that you demand for yourself.

Same goes for you, buddy boy.