[May 19, 2024, 06:23:47 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Schedule Talk with Mike Broeker by Shooter McGavin
[May 19, 2024, 01:06:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Coaching Carousel  (Read 142863 times)

Viper

• All American
Re: 2024 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #200 on: January 23, 2024, 10:30:45 AM »
With the exception of the crappy winters, Chicago is one of the best big cities in the U.S.  Reports of crime are overblown and more of perception rather than reality.
crime a perception? Ah, no. It’s bad, in Chicago and most of urban America. But from a basketball perspective, DeP is in a great location. Just need to right guy. I don’t want DeP to improve at the detriment of MU, but a good team in the 2nd largest BE market would be a good thing, imo. Just as I hope Pitino wins big at StJ’s. (as long as MU is better, of course)

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #201 on: January 23, 2024, 10:31:37 AM »
Given DePaul's history, what do you figure are the odds that a new practice facility opens during the next coach's tenure? The program isn't known for the longevity of it's head coaches. I saw one article indicating that "the demolition of buildings on site would not begin until Summer 2025 at the earliest" At the earliest. It's going to be a while. If DePaul begins to turn things around, their new coach will have his resume circulating within a couple years. If they don't begin to turn things around, they'll fire the new guy. I'd be very surprised if their next coach conducts a single practice in the new facility (and that's assuming that they actually build it).

There is considerable pushback in Lincoln Park and Chicago at large because DePaul wants to tear down two older buildings and people in Lincoln Park take the character of the neighborhood VERY seriously. As most people in multi-million dollar houses typically do.
We Are Marquette

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #202 on: January 23, 2024, 10:37:24 AM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #203 on: January 23, 2024, 10:40:04 AM »
There is considerable pushback in Lincoln Park and Chicago at large because DePaul wants to tear down two older buildings and people in Lincoln Park take the character of the neighborhood VERY seriously. As most people in multi-million dollar houses typically do.

They aren't just older buildings they're from the 1800s iirc. It's not exactly like people protecting some 1930s bungalows when there's a million more to go around. Wish the architect could've at least attempted to preserve the facade which would've been cool but whatever.
Maigh Eo for Sam

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #204 on: January 23, 2024, 11:05:10 AM »
They aren't just older buildings they're from the 1800s iirc. It's not exactly like people protecting some 1930s bungalows when there's a million more to go around. Wish the architect could've at least attempted to preserve the facade which would've been cool but whatever.
I grew up in Lincoln Park and agree with keeping the character of the neighborhood.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #205 on: January 23, 2024, 11:09:20 AM »
I grew up in Lincoln Park and agree with keeping the character of the neighborhood.

Glad you’re still with us today considering all the crime 😂

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #206 on: January 23, 2024, 11:35:40 AM »
Nationwide:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/191219/reported-violent-crime-rate-in-the-usa-since-1990/

Chicago:

Every crime but car thefts have lower rates than a decade ago.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/chicago-sees-total-crime-drop-but-most-violent-crimes-up-over-decade/

Illinois Policy, while a nice innocuous sounding name, has a political agenda and politics is not allowed here.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #207 on: January 23, 2024, 12:45:49 PM »
crime a perception? Ah, no. It’s bad, in Chicago and most of urban America. But from a basketball perspective, DeP is in a great location. Just need to right guy. I don’t want DeP to improve at the detriment of MU, but a good team in the 2nd largest BE market would be a good thing, imo. Just as I hope Pitino wins big at StJ’s. (as long as MU is better, of course)

I may be in the minority in this opinion but I honestly really don’t care about DePaul being any good. The conference has done just fine with them being the perennial doormat and I am absolutely fine with that continuing as long as they’re in the league.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #208 on: January 23, 2024, 01:11:58 PM »
I may be in the minority in this opinion but I honestly really don’t care about DePaul being any good. The conference has done just fine with them being the perennial doormat and I am absolutely fine with that continuing as long as they’re in the league.

It's just that they can drag our net down if we do not beat them by enough. There's very little upside to beating them and a ton of downside for any other BE team they beat or even come within 10 points of beating. I get what you are saying, but if they become just halfway decent, it's a plus for us (barring being upset by them-it has happened before).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 01:14:05 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #209 on: January 23, 2024, 01:23:18 PM »
It's just that they can drag our net down if we do not beat them by enough. There's very little upside to beating them and a ton of downside for any other BE team they beat or even come within 10 points of beating. I get what you are saying, but if they become just halfway decent, it's a plus for us (barring being upset by them-it has happened before).
I agree with this.

romey

• All American
« Reply #210 on: January 23, 2024, 01:35:15 PM »
So then just "up" our non-con cupcakes with two 150ish buy games to offset DePaul in conference.  I realize it's not that simple, but theoretically...

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #211 on: January 23, 2024, 01:36:02 PM »

Same but the doormat should be ~100 in NET, not 300+.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #212 on: January 23, 2024, 01:46:04 PM »

I'm with you.  Beast post realignment has been an absolute success at the same time that DePaul has been a dumpster fire.  If DePaul continues to be a dumpster fire, I feel confident the conference will still be fine.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #213 on: January 23, 2024, 02:12:30 PM »
I remember the years when DePaul was competitive, and distinctly remember a season or two when they finished ahead of us in the standings and made the tournament when we were sitting at home.  And I've been to two recent games when we lost to them with the a postseason appearance on the line, sending us home.  I would gladly trade the inconvenience of having a slightly less than impressive win over a totally irrelevant team trivially hurt our resume than have to put up with them being even slightly competent and any more annoying than they already are.

There are enough really tough games in this league as it is. Absolutely no one cares about DePaul in Chicago anyways, I can't think of any good reason why any of that needs to change.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #214 on: January 23, 2024, 02:15:08 PM »
Isn't it conceivable that losing to them in 2018 kept us from a tournament birth? I know we weren't making it either way in 2016 but also salty about that one... though maybe then Wojo is still coaching so we should thank them.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #215 on: January 23, 2024, 02:16:11 PM »
'tournament birth'

So....many....jokes
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #216 on: January 23, 2024, 02:23:38 PM »
I remember the years when DePaul was competitive, and distinctly remember a season or two when they finished ahead of us in the standings and made the tournament when we were sitting at home.  And I've been to two recent games when we lost to them with the a postseason appearance on the line, sending us home.  I would gladly trade the inconvenience of having a slightly less than impressive win over a totally irrelevant team trivially hurt our resume than have to put up with them being even slightly competent and any more annoying than they already are.

There are enough really tough games in this league as it is. Absolutely no one cares about DePaul in Chicago anyways, I can't think of any good reason why any of that needs to change.
I'd argue that I wish MU plays better not that DePaul is worse.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #217 on: January 23, 2024, 02:30:36 PM »
'tournament birth'

So....many....jokes

In a rare moment of mercy, I saw that and let it go.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #218 on: January 23, 2024, 02:32:12 PM »
'tournament birth'

So....many....jokes

Hah. Going to leave it up for the masses to enjoy.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #219 on: January 23, 2024, 02:38:59 PM »
 ;D
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #220 on: January 23, 2024, 02:45:16 PM »
Illinois Policy, while a nice innocuous sounding name, has a political agenda and politics is not allowed here.

Sultan’s old. Probably just forgot.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #221 on: January 23, 2024, 03:06:31 PM »
I'd argue that I wish MU plays better not that DePaul is worse.

I totally agree about MU playing better, that goes without saying.

I don't think DePaul needs to be any worse. I'm fine with them always being as bad as they are now.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #222 on: January 23, 2024, 03:53:00 PM »
Glad you’re still with us today considering all the crime 😂

I got out while a Daly was still mayor   

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #223 on: January 23, 2024, 03:56:10 PM »
I got out while a Daly was still mayor

So, back when things were really bad.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #224 on: January 23, 2024, 04:07:25 PM »
Isn't it conceivable that losing to them in 2018 kept us from a tournament birth? I know we weren't making it either way in 2016 but also salty about that one... though maybe then Wojo is still coaching so we should thank them.

It is. There were two main knocks on the resume, the first was losing to DePaul the second was going 0-7 against Xavier, Villanova, Purdue, and Wichita State (all protected seeds).

Ultimately, I think we were one win away from Dayton and I think adding any one win would've put us over the top.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.