collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Biggest Single Sports Play  (Read 5834 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Biggest Single Sports Play
« on: December 07, 2020, 08:35:22 PM »
Having this discussion with some friends in a group chat and it’s fun reminiscing. What is the single biggest sports play from your lifetime?

My answer is 1) Malcolm Butler interception in the Super Bowl against the Seahawks. 2) Jenkins for the championship! 3) Aaron f’ing Boone.

Honorable mention to Kihei Clarke hitting Diakite to send their Elite 8 game against Purdue into overtime. The most heady play I’ve ever seen.

https://youtu.be/3Ni6Ra_8KuU

If you watch the angle around 55 seconds into this, he’s getting to the ball running away from his own basket almost at Purdue’s 3 point line with 3.5 seconds left. The fact that he made a pass to a guy 12 feet from his basket in perfect position for Diakite to keep it high and get the shot off is incredible.

Also so fun “could’ve been” plays. The Paige double pump 3 to tie tie Nova game, the Indians homer to get game 7 of the World Series into extras.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Biggest Single Sports Play
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 08:54:50 PM »
Cecil cooper single to LF that drove in Moore and Gantner to give Brewers the lead and send them to the World Series in ‘82.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 09:01:53 PM »
Two huge plays I witnessed in person:

Lee to Whitehead to beat UNCC.

Flutie to Gerard Phelan vs Miami

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 09:23:19 PM »

https://youtu.be/IeZ86-8auRc

This was the biggest play I ever witnessed in person. Followed by TPlush tickling it up the middle in game 5 of the NLDS.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 09:28:28 PM »
Fun topic. I look forward to reading the various answers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 10:08:08 PM »
Favres back of the endzone pass to Sidney Rice to win the game. If we're going on pure talent plays.

Edit... apparently it was to Greg Lewis
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 10:11:42 PM by #UnleashDiener »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 10:40:01 PM »
Can we have any context? Most memorable? Biggest moment for a win/loss? Etc?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 10:40:16 PM »
I would say the Wade dunk against UK but that whole game is a blur of emotion in retrospect. I saw the Warrick block in person at the FF and that was surreal.

Unfortunately it was for naught, but Devin Hester taking the opening kick of the Super Bowl to the house was a delirious moment for a college aged me. Really my last pure exuberant Bears memory  :o

I have never been a physically combative person, but the Alex Gonzalez muff in Game 6 of the NLCS is crystal clear in my mind not only for the memory but for me going after a dorm mate who was a Reds fan that was endlessly taunting me and other Cubs fans.

Fun story about the Davis homer in Game 7. I watched the game at Happy Camper in Old Town...on a second date. It was a girl I was really excited about and I scheduled it after Game 4, downtrodden and assuming the worst, I figured my night would be free. Get closer, I don’t reschedule out of superstition and lest we go another week. She’s not a big baseball fan but she’s a fun companion. However, she’s having too much fan with the group of older couples to our left and she’s ripping celebratory shots for every big play with the wives. She starts to border on overserved. When Davis sends the ball deep, she literally nearly fell off a stool hugging aforementioned wife about something. So that distracted me otherwise I’m certain my soul would have left my body.  Kris Bryant making the throw from 3rd watched through my teary eyes, however, will be a memory tough to top until Marquette finally wins another

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 10:46:35 PM »
Kris Bryant making the throw from 3rd

The way he landed on his foot right before he threw it is seared permanently in my mind. I thought for sure it was going to be wild.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 10:52:38 PM »
Freese and his two Game 6 moments were pretty legendary as far as the last 10 years go.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 11:13:05 PM »
Can we have any context? Most memorable? Biggest moment for a win/loss? Etc?

I just went with game-winning plays I saw in person. With as old as I am, televised and non-game winning plays would lead to too long a list.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 11:22:43 PM »
1. Bench's Home Run in the 9th inning to tie deciding game 5 of the 1972 playoffs.

2. Bench's 2 Home Run's in game 4 to sweep the 76 series against the Yanks (saw it)

3. Bart's sneak in the ice bowl.

4. Affirmed beating Alydar in the Belmont (saw it).

5. Reggie's 3 HR's in game 6 of  77 series against Dodgers (saw it).

6. Chamblis' 1976 walk off (saw it).

7.  Vander's drive at the Garden to clinch the big East (saw it).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 11:32:39 PM by Mutaman »

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2020, 11:31:32 PM »

That's a good one.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2020, 05:24:00 AM »
Nyjer Morgan walk-off against the DBacks.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2020, 06:18:39 AM »
Bartman!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2020, 06:44:09 AM »
Gibson's two world series homers.

Flutie.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 11:02:57 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2020, 07:29:42 AM »
The way he landed on his foot right before he threw it is seared permanently in my mind. I thought for sure it was going to be wild.

Yessir. Not sure I’ve squeezed my family or strangers quite as hard as that night at the Jake, in the upper deck, on third base line. Pure joy.

That whole playoff run was amazing. Close second that year was the Miggy granny followed by the Fowler bomb at Wrigley. Bleachers were jumpin’. Pure joy.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2020, 10:48:08 AM »
I was 9 and my Dad's boss gave him his tickets to World Series. I saw Don Larson's perfect game. Not a single play but a single accomplishment. Will never forget it.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2020, 11:10:52 AM »
Nyjer Morgan walk-off against the DBacks.

We're on the same page. Apparently I'm a bit older than you.

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2020, 11:18:50 AM »
Kirk Gibson's 9th inning home run in the 1988 World Series. Limping around the bags, pumping his fist, Vin Scully with the call.
That was just an awesome moment for a young Dodgers fan like me.

JC Chavez 12th round TKO of Meldrick Taylor in March of 1990 is another one of my all-time great sports moments. The drama of that fight and of course the controversial ending. That's the fight made me a huge boxing fan.

Buster Douglas KO of Mike Tyson was also another one of those unforgettable sports moments, where you just couldn't believe what was happening as you were watching.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2020, 12:10:49 PM »

Definitely Flutie. That play also transformed Boston College as an institution.

The Laettner shot against Kentucky. Greatest college basketball game of all time with the most improbable ending along with the perfect call on the play: "YEEEEESSSS" and then silence. Just seconds earlier Sean Woods hit a ridiculous shot that seemingly gave UK the win.

The Auburn Kick Six. I remember watching that with my wife and once I saw Davis turn the corner I said to my wife "holy s--t, he's going to score."  And who better than Verne Lunquist to call that game and the Laettner shot.

The Boise State hook and ladder. The program exploded after that.

Paul Edinger's 53 yard FG to beat the Lions at the gun in 2000. It knocked Detroit out of the playoffs and led to the hiring of Matt Millen, and we all know how that turned out.

And not a play but a decision - Holmgren benching Majkowski at halftime in 1991 with the Packers trailing the Bengals 17-0. He brought in this guy recently acquired from Atlanta who'd been given up upon by the Falcons due to a drinking problem.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 12:15:44 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2020, 12:45:21 PM »

And not a play but a decision - Holmgren benching Majkowski at halftime in 1991 with the Packers trailing the Bengals 17-0. He brought in this guy recently acquired from Atlanta who'd been given up upon by the Falcons due to a drinking problem.

Holmgren didn’t bench Majkowski that game. He had a significant ankle injury, and had to be helped off the field. He wasn’t putting any weight on it. And pretty sure injury was in the first half

It was 1992 also.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 12:48:02 PM by HutchwasClutch »

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2020, 12:55:08 PM »
Holmgren did pull Majkowski the game previous to the Bengals, where they were getting rolled by Tampa. That was Favre’s in infamous first completion to himself from a batted pass.

Favre did nothing of legend that day. But next week against the Bengals, the legend began 😀

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2020, 12:58:38 PM »
1.  Kyrie Irving's game winning 3 against Golden State in game 7 of the NBA Finals (2016) giving Cleveland its first championship since 1964. The subsequent block by LBJ was also pretty damn big.  The victory parade was a microcosm of how crazy Cleveland is going to be when the Browns win the Super Bowl.

2.  Maradona 'Hand of God' goal vs. England 1986.

3.  Brandi Chastain winning PK over China in 1999 World Cup.

feedback