[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Most Hated Players of the Last 30 Years - G-land  (Read 9626 times)

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
Most Hated Players of the Last 30 Years - G-land
« on: March 11, 2013, 08:39:05 AM »
This is funny. Duke has it's own friggin' bracket.

Maybe a Superbar subject, but I digress. Enjoy.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9038798/a-tournament-determine-most-hated-college-basketball-players-last-30-years

muhoops1

• All American
Re: Most Hated Players of the Last 30 Years - G-land
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 09:08:02 AM »
The author probably isn't old enough to remember Kelly Trapuka, Bruce Flowers or any of the former Irish players.  I used to walk around the floor of the MECCA as a grade schooler spewing venom @ those guys.

Met Bruce at a party years later and conveyed my feelings prior to our meeting.  He loved it and turned out to be a decent guy.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 09:17:59 AM »
No way should Greg Paulus be an 8 seed matched up with Laetner. Aside from Devendorf, I don't think I've ever hated a college basketball player as much.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 09:43:32 AM »
Where's Tom Kleinschmidt, Cherokee Parks and Alaa Abdelnaby?  I think the entire bracket could be filled with Dukies.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 09:46:20 AM »
Devendorf shouldnt even be in a bracket. The tournament should be named after him

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 09:49:07 AM »
Devendorf shouldnt even be in a bracket. The tournament should be named after him

Once he dies of a heroin overdose, it can be named after him.

The Eric Devendorf Scumbag NCAA Players Tournament.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 09:49:20 AM »
Not any of Huggins' Cinci thugs.    Bogus list.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 09:57:05 AM »
Fab Five. The most hated, hands down. You can choose any player. Those arrogant punks. They acted like they should of had the keys before they learned how to drive. Result, NO CHAMPIONSHIP!!! And they beat by two ACC teams.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 10:00:29 AM »
Why are Pervis Ellison and Matean Cleaves on the list? I don't remember them being hated that much.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 10:05:52 AM »
Why are Pervis Ellison and Matean Cleaves on the list? I don't remember them being hated that much.

Also was Iverson really "hated" in his lone season?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 10:08:09 AM »
Fab Five. The most hated, hands down. You can choose any player. Those arrogant punks. They acted like they should of had the keys before they learned how to drive. Result, NO CHAMPIONSHIP!!! And they beat by two ACC teams.

Except for the fact that they were SUPER popular and a lot of people loved them.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 10:10:56 AM »
Devendorf needs to be the ultimate one seed

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 10:13:02 AM »
Except for the fact that they were SUPER popular and a lot of people loved them.

I liked them.  They played good basketball, and that 1993 semifinal against Kentucky was one of the best college basketball games I have ever seen.

Too bad Alan Henderson got hurt that year because Indiana may have been the best team in the country that year.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 10:33:02 AM »
The author probably isn't old enough to remember Kelly Trapuka, Bruce Flowers or any of the former Irish players.  I used to walk around the floor of the MECCA as a grade schooler spewing venom @ those guys.

Met Bruce at a party years later and conveyed my feelings prior to our meeting.  He loved it and turned out to be a decent guy.

Kelly Tripucka. +100

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 10:33:26 AM »
Michael Graham, an absolute thug through and through, was the most hated guy on those Georgetown teams at the time, not Ewing, who was basically just ridiculously good.  I guess you can hate people for that.

Laettner would win for me, though Paulus is a close second.  I remember that Dom stripped him a time or two early in the game during our early season loss to Duke, and after that the refs just allowed Paulus to just push him away with his free hand for the rest of the game.  If they don't allow him to do that, we roll them.  That infuriated me.

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 10:37:49 AM »
Kelly Tripucka. +100
and Laimbeer.

Laimbeer remained a d*ck in the NBA.  Sunk a long three against the Bucks.  Ran off the court signalling "Three".  Crowd screaming at him.  He thrived on being a d*ck.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 10:40:30 AM »
Laettner would win for me, though Paulus is a close second.  I remember that Dom stripped him a time or two early in the game during our early season loss to Duke, and after that the refs just allowed Paulus to just push him away with his free hand for the rest of the game.  If they don't allow him to do that, we roll them.  That infuriated me.

Paulus should win over Laettner. Say what you will about Lattner, he is one of the greatest college basketball players of all time. As a college basketball fan, you have to respect him.

Paulus, on the other hand, was the epitome of an over hyped Duke player.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 10:48:06 AM »

No way to the whole Fab Five. Arrogant punks? Really? No other team of all freshmen have ever done that again (nor will). And like Jalen says at the end of the 30-for-30 .... "who won the championship in 91? 92? 2002? 2005?" People can't, but they sure as heck can remember the Fab Five. They changed the friggin' game as we know it (for better or worse is open for debate).

I'm surprised Jalen's #1, but I thought he'd make the list. I think they did that to tweak him since him and Simmons are BFFs now.

I will say, my opinion of Jalen's been a complete 180. Used to hate him and love Webber. Now it's vice versa.

And my vote is for Devendorf. I think you could nominate the entire Cinci team from 1991-1998. No Jason Maxiel for the punch-to-MU's-nuts game?

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 10:50:30 AM »

And nobody was rooting for Duke to beat Michigan that year they played. The nation was pulling for UM (most of it, anyways). That team was INSANELY popular. They were friggin' worldwide. No college team will ever be like that again.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 10:57:24 AM »
Paulus should win over Laettner. Say what you will about Lattner, he is one of the greatest college basketball players of all time. As a college basketball fan, you have to respect him.

Paulus, on the other hand, was the epitome of an over hyped Duke player.

You're probably right, of course.  I hate Laettner because he ended UConn's season in 1990 with a double-pump buzzer-beater in the regional final.  UConn in 1990 remains was my favorite non-MU team of all time.  Plus he purposely stomped on a guy in the KY game, and trash-talked/goaded UConn's usually mild-mannered C Jeff(?)Sellers into strangling him in the 1991 NCAAs.  He was easy to hate, besides being really good.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 11:04:16 AM »
Most people will hate another player in their conference the most I'm guessing.  You can add me to the Devendorf list.  Joakim Noah was also up there just because he looks like a jag.   I can imagine JJ Redick tops a lot of ACC fans' lists in the last decade.  Ever hear some of the stuff crowds would chant at him?

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 11:12:54 AM »
No way to the whole Fab Five. Arrogant punks? Really? No other team of all freshmen have ever done that again (nor will). And like Jalen says at the end of the 30-for-30 .... "who won the championship in 91? 92? 2002? 2005?" People can't, but they sure as heck can remember the Fab Five. They changed the friggin' game as we know it (for better or worse is open for debate).

I'm surprised Jalen's #1, but I thought he'd make the list. I think they did that to tweak him since him and Simmons are BFFs now.

I will say, my opinion of Jalen's been a complete 180. Used to hate him and love Webber. Now it's vice versa.

And my vote is for Devendorf. I think you could nominate the entire Cinci team from 1991-1998. No Jason Maxiel for the punch-to-MU's-nuts game?

How did they change the game other than Baggy, long shorts and black socks becoming the norm? They were talented but arrogant! Most hated.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 11:21:32 AM »
How did they change the game other than Baggy, long shorts and black socks becoming the norm? They were talented but arrogant! Most hated.

I do think that the 30 for 30 overstated how much they changed the game.  Baggy shorts became a thing with Jordan...not the Fab Five.  They were very unique however given the fact they were all freshmen.

And yeah, they were arrogant.  That never bothered me all that much.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 11:33:07 AM »
The Fab Five also didn't start out the season with all 5 as starters. It wasn't until close to the NCAA tournament that Fisher decided to start them all together. Even then, it was mainly Weber, Rose and Howard with the majority of the playing time, while King and the other guy played about half or less than half the game.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 11:39:23 AM »
The Fab Five also didn't start out the season with all 5 as starters. It wasn't until close to the NCAA tournament that Fisher decided to start them all together. Even then, it was mainly Weber, Rose and Howard with the majority of the playing time, while King and the other guy played about half or less than half the game.

Michigan played 34 games their freshman season. Webber started all of them, Rose 33, Howard 31, King 21, Jackson 15. They all started together from early February on.

Jackson averaged 17 minutes but the rest of them all averaged 28+. In fact, Howard played all of 1 minute more than King on the season.

feedback