collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: WSJ: To (All) the Colleges That Rejected Me  (Read 32301 times)

swoopem

• All American
Re: WSJ: To (All) the Colleges That Rejected Me
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 03:53:13 PM »
this whole thread makes me thing of the guy from the movie 21 where the guy needed needed "life experience" to get into Harvard med school even though he had perfect grades at MIT.

Bring back FFP!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 03:54:08 PM »

Harvard and other Ivies have made it very clear that they don't simply accept those with the highest GPAs, standardized test scores, etc. or those who check the most boxes.  They are going to have a diverse class...and by diverse I mean not just racial diversity...but different backgrounds of all types.  Geographic...income...etc. 

Oh yes, quite aware.  My son is going into the international baccalaureate program next year and we've heard all the pitches from the various schools.  I will simply say that if you are able to check some boxes off, they can help overcome grades, test scores, playing sports, etc.  Since that is so arbitrary and non-objective, the frustration comes in for kids and parents to try and understand how come student A (great grades, great scores, 4 years sports, community service, etc) is passed by for student B (good grades, good scores, joined certain PC clubs, etc).   In their goal to reach diversity, there is no hard and fast criteria, thus it becomes the whims of some folks who aren't willing to state in concrete terms what that criteria is (of course not, that would defeat their ability to shape things).

Such is life where there are limited spots, not everyone can get admitted and certain influencers are going to make sure many other factors are involved. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 04:01:42 PM »
No one claims that it's a perfect process.  Life's a journey and if your son is rejected by his first choice, it won't be the last time.  That's what I disliked about the original article - instead of bitching and moaning about the rejection, use it as a time to reflect and see where life takes you.  Yeah that's painful.  But frankly no one wants to hear her complain.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »
Maybe the author should have disclosed that her sister used to be an editorial features editor at the WSJ, thus giving her preferential treatment in getting this published.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 05:21:38 PM »
As a father of four, I will say this:  her comment "It has been great in certain ways: Instead of "Be home by 11," it's "Don't wake us up when you come through the door, we're trying to sleep." rings true.  You tend to wear down as the miles pile on. 
Ludum habemus.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2013, 11:49:02 PM »
Legs jr. has just gone through the process.  And he knew exactly what to expect.  Had the grades, test scores and the meaningful extracurriculars to have a reasonable chance to be accepted anywhere, but no special something (like being a D-1 athlete or amazing dancer (somehow that wasn't passed on; sigh.)) to assure him of acceptance anywhere.

He applied to a bunch of the schools mentioned by others (UVA, Vandy, ND, Michigan, BC, Duke, MU [double legacy!]) and also to one of the top Ivy's.  And they tell you: 30,000 apps, admit 2,900 to get a class of 1,900.  And after legacies, athletes and arts programs are filled, there are even fewer spots, and out of he 30,000 who apply, they tell you that 20,000 are qualified to get in.  And those 20,000 against whom a non athlete non legacy is competing all are as qualified or more qualified than you.

So, you play the numbers game, and you get into some, but not all.  You hope that your kid has the sense to make a decision like nyg's.  And then you hope that he makes the most out of whichever wonderful opportunity he has.

Kids like ours and the young lady who wrote the article have fantastic opportunities, and shame on them and their parents if they don't see it that way.

I'd tell you where Legs Jr. decided to go, but Chili would do a face plant in his Marquette Special. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2013, 07:28:18 AM »
I didn't notice that this student did any extracurricular activities or sports?  The Ivies as do most schools look at that besides a grade point & SAT scores.  I know Yale has been making a point to accept more local kids for whatever reason.  I know of one local student that will be attending there next year.  She was tops academic-wise in her class although not #1 or #2, but she's an all-state shot putter and plans to do so at Yale.  Sounds like that helped differentiate for other students.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 08:21:06 AM »
I'm saying certain boxes mean things to admissions boards, whether they care to admit it or not....whether, in some cases, they are legally allowed to consider them or not.

So what you're sayin is that she's too traditional, aina?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2013, 08:24:45 AM »
I didn't notice that this student did any extracurricular activities or sports?  The Ivies as do most schools look at that besides a grade point & SAT scores.  I know Yale has been making a point to accept more local kids for whatever reason.  I know of one local student that will be attending there next year.  She was tops academic-wise in her class although not #1 or #2, but she's an all-state shot putter and plans to do so at Yale.  Sounds like that helped differentiate for other students.

Nearly all Ivies accept more local kids when compared to the national average.  Here in Boston, evey year, the most # of entrants from one high school is always Boston Latin School.   These are schools that have billions in the bank, and don't pay taxes because of their non-profit tax status.  They view this as one of the ways to give back.  While doesn't make up for the hundreds of millions they save in taxes, it's at least something.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 08:48:26 AM by reinko »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2013, 08:45:16 AM »
In 2006 my son graduated from a very well respected academically catholic high school.  ... He applied to the engineering schools of Penn St., Maryland, Virginia Tech, Purdue and George Washington.  On a whim, he said he wanted to apply to Harvard, Yale and Princeton to see what would happen.  All three declined and he was accepted to all the others, which had the more acclaimed engineering programs.  

Legs jr. has just gone through the process. ... I'd tell you where Legs Jr. decided to go, but Chili would do a face plant in his Marquette Special.  

Oh yes, quite aware.  My son is going into the international baccalaureate program next year and we've heard all the pitches from the various schools.  

To the above and anyone else that had a kid apply to schools like Harvard, Yale, Princeton etc ...

How many kids from your school went, or are currently go to, these schools?  Did these schools send someone from the admission department to your college day?

I ask because school reputation matters.  If your school has several kids walking around around Harvard (to pick one), and if Harvard thinks enough of your school to send someone to college day, that helps a lot.

Nearly all Ivies accept more local kids when compared to the national average.  Here in Boston, evey year, the # of entrants from one high school is always Boston Latin School.   These are schools have that have billions in the bank, and don't pay taxes because of their non-profit tax status.  They view this as one of the ways to give back.  While doesn't make up for the hundreds of millions they save in taxes, it's at least something.

My wife works with someone that went to Boston Latin (the oldest high school in America!) and then Harvard.  He graduated from Boston Latin in the early 1980s and said 30 (no typo!) went to Harvard.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2013, 09:07:26 AM »
Maybe the author should have disclosed that her sister used to be an editorial features editor at the WSJ, thus giving her preferential treatment in getting this published.

+1.  I work with kids everyday.  I will tell you that this generation is awful, in there concept of entitlement and their ability to think. 

If I was in charge at Michigan, I'd pull her acceptance for this piece of drivel that she got published because of nepotism. 

She needs to learn fast that most things in life will not be based on whether you did a good job.  Everyone works hard, most are qualified, it is little things that make the difference.

I think she already knows this though and took one last stab at getting in, using family to get here a publication in the WSJ.  Shame on the today show for giving her more Facetime.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2013, 09:24:24 AM »
To the above and anyone else that had a kid apply to schools like Harvard, Yale, Princeton etc ...

How many kids from your school went, or are currently go to, these schools?  Did these schools send someone from the admission department to your college day?

A lot of high schools don't have a college day any longer.

I went to a very good public high school (at the time.)  Madison West is right by the University and I had a lot of classmates whose parents were professors.  I bet I had about a dozen classmates that went to Ivy League schools and about another dozen that could have but chose a place like Stanford instead.

My kids went to a run of the mill public school in Indiana, but my oldest son had a classmate that went to Dartmouth, no legacy whatsoever, and another classmate that was accepted to an Ivy but went to IU instead.  She was a first generation student and didn't want to be that far from home.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2013, 09:45:06 AM »
ok actually after reading all this I find it fascinating.
Trying to get over the initial knee jerk thinking this girl got screwed to her aura of entitlement...

I've found that the two times people are the most delusional is their senior year of high school and their senior year of college for the same reasons: the overblown expectation that they'll be accepted to their first choice top flight university when they hadn't "checked all the boxes"/they expect their perfect job and salary as soon as they graduate without having done the internships etc...

Probably can't fully understand this to the way some of you dads can.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:14:32 AM by Ari Gold »

nyg

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2013, 09:58:19 AM »

How many kids from your school went, or are currently go to, these schools?  Did these schools send someone from the admission department to your college day?

I ask because school reputation matters.  If your school has several kids walking around around Harvard (to pick one), and if Harvard thinks enough of your school to send someone to college day, that helps a lot.

My wife works with someone that went to Boston Latin (the oldest high school in America!) and then Harvard.  He graduated from Boston Latin in the early 1980s and said 30 (no typo!) went to Harvard.

My son's high school had a college day and it was actually pretty big and well attended.  There were Ivy school representatives and from what I recall were from Harvard, Princeton, Penn, Yale and Cornell.  Two of them were alumni of the high school and worked in the area.  They were also the ones who conducted the interview of my son subsequent to him applying.  They were not employees of the school's admission's office, but do it probably as a civic/service duty for the school on an alumni basis.  Can't imagine the schools sending out employees across the country to do that, so its nice to have them perform that function.

Checked with the son and he said two kids went to Ivy schools, one to Harvard and one to Cornell.  Another student, who was one of only 120 students nationally in 2005 to score a perfect score on the new SAT (was first year of new test) was accepted to a few, along with MIT, but went to Michigan on full ride for Engineering.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2013, 10:06:48 AM »
+1.  I work with kids everyday.  I will tell you that this generation is awful, in there concept of entitlement and their ability to think.  

As a member of 'this generation' (who recently graduated, has a job, is is prepping for grad school), I'd encourage all the 'these kids are awful' crowd to look in the mirror. You guys raised 'this generation.' If it's as bad as you say, maybe you should have done a better job.

Consider this a friendly reminder that your parents said the same thing about your generation.

(I don't actually think you old farts did a bad job, but I also think that the whole 'kids these days' schtick gets a little old).

I'll also assume that using the wrong form of 'their' when insulting a generation's critical thinking skills was really subtle satire.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:08:41 AM by akmarq »

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2013, 10:18:20 AM »
I'll also assume that using the wrong form of 'their' when insulting a generation's critical thinking skills was really subtle satire.

As a member of 'this generation' (who recently graduated, has a job, is is prepping for grad school),

ha ha!
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2013, 10:22:50 AM »
ha ha!

I did say prepping right? Better bust out the GRE book one more more more time.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2013, 11:12:44 AM »
Everyone works hard

So not true. Almost everyone slacks. The average work ethic in corporate America is a joke.

Working 8-6 (or more) instead of 9-5 will get you ahead, noticed, etc. because most of the "competition" is weak as unnatural carnal knowledge.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2013, 11:35:51 AM »
So not true. Almost everyone slacks. The average work ethic in corporate America is a joke.

Working 8-6 (or more) instead of 9-5 will get you ahead, noticed, etc. because most of the "competition" is weak as unnatural carnal knowledge.

Working 10-12 hours a day doesn't necessarily get you ahead. More and more companies are realizing that efficient productivity is more important than actual hours in the office. A person who does 10 hours of work in 8 hours is more valuable than someone who does 10 hours of work in 10 hours.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2013, 11:41:03 AM »
Working 10-12 hours a day doesn't necessarily get you ahead. More and more companies are realizing that efficient productivity is more important than actual hours in the office. A person who does 10 hours of work in 8 hours is more valuable than someone who does 10 hours of work in 10 hours.

When someone around here tells me they work regular 10-12 hour days, I generally think to myself "man...you aren't very efficient."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2013, 11:49:31 AM »
ok actually after reading all this I find it fascinating.
Trying to get over the initial knee jerk thinking this girl got screwed to her aura of entitlement...

I've found that the two times people are the most delusional is their senior year of high school and their senior year of college for the same reasons: the overblown expectation that they'll be accepted to their first choice top flight university when they hadn't "checked all the boxes"/they expect their perfect job and salary as soon as they graduate without having done the internships etc...

Probably can't fully understand this to the way some of you dads can.

I'm relatively young (graduated in 2007) and have issues with this. Yes, my generation is absolutely delusional about those times. We were delusional about a lot of things before reaching milestone times in our lives. But why were we so delusional? Because our parents, teachers, mentors, etc were all telling us we could do whatever we wanted and become whatever we wanted and we were all "special", "unique". Simple fact is we aren't special or unique. And most of us can't do whatever we want. All the encouraging, optimistic speeches and quotes left us very delusional. It isn't fair to rant about kids feeling entitled when we were taught/told from a very young age that we are entitled. As I've grown up, I've learned a lot about the real world and how things work (and i'm still learning!). It just strikes me as a bit ironic.

Also, hard work rarely seems to get you anywhere in life these days. It's more about who you know and where you happen to be at a certain time. Luck/timing plays a huge role in success.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2013, 11:51:01 AM »

When someone around here tells me they work regular 10-12 hour days, I generally think to myself "man...you aren't very efficient."

Find me a manager that works a 40 hour week and I'll find you an underperforming team, a waste in salary somewhere on their team, or both.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2013, 11:58:36 AM »

Find me a manager that works a 40 hour week and I'll find you an underperforming team, a waste in salary somewhere on their team, or both.

Eh...

Impress with your accomplishments...not your hours.  I view my job as continuously working, just some times harder than other times.  I'm probably in the office about 40-45 hours a week, but that doesn't preclude me from working at home in the evenings or on the weekends.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2013, 12:02:25 PM »
I love that this conversation is happening in the middle of a work day

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2013, 12:03:23 PM »