[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Joey made it happen?  (Read 49313 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Joey made it happen?
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2019, 08:15:16 PM »
Not guilty at all. I’ve heard a version of the same story early on from multiple sources. This story came out and I considered it (see the outside view of Hausers thread). No confirmation bias here. All that said this new version which marinated for weeks for reasons unknown deserves a fair amount of skepticism. Ironically it’s getting very little from the pro Wojo crowd

Lack of self awareness:  confirmed.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2019, 08:18:17 PM »
Lack of self awareness:  confirmed.
Oh fluff. I stopped caring about your opinions the night you went 13 year old ovulating girl on everyone and ate crow the next day. But thanks for chiming in
No Finish Line

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2019, 08:20:42 PM »
Nah.
Much better to pretend I know everything and claim that any version that conflicts with my own is PR spin (and unethical PR spin at that).
Cause Lord knows that if the coaches wanted to get itheir spin out, they could find no better means than through an anonymous post three weeks after the fact on Dodds' board.

You're making things up again. Careful - your bias and preferred narrative is showing. Ironic.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2019, 08:24:53 PM »
Oh fluff. I stopped caring about your opinions the night you went 13 year old ovulating girl on everyone and ate crow the next day. But thanks for chiming in

Your reply suggests otherwise.

But anyone who says they don’t have confirmation bias actually likely has it worse. Everyone has it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2019, 09:12:41 PM »
Putting a negative spin on the fact that the Hausers made every effort to see their sons play college basketball together?  Uh, yeah, OK.

Just found it kinda strange. Don't people have to spend most of their time working for a living instead of taking time off to travel hundreds or thousands of miles every few days? Not to mention the cost.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2019, 09:46:17 PM »
I heard Joey was pissed that he hadn’t received a SOTG at all so he demanded a change.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2019, 09:54:06 PM »
You're making things up again. Careful - your bias and preferred narrative is showing. Ironic.

No idea what you're talking about here.
But I suspect that goes for the both of us.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2019, 10:21:08 PM »
No idea what you're talking about here.
But I suspect that goes for the both of us.

If I misinterpreted your remarks I apologize.

If not...

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2019, 11:12:57 PM »
Yup, and plenty don’t.  But small town is only one part, it is the part about being the guy and being a winner in that small town all the time that is tougher to adjust to when you are no longer the guy.

Sure. Whatever.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #109 on: May 05, 2019, 11:51:06 PM »
You don't easily replace two players who were named to the All Big East 2nd team and Big East All-Freshman team in Sam and Joey, respectively. Joey was also named Big East Freshman of the Week five times.

Downplaying their talent serves no purpose. They were both deserving starters, good all-around players and will be missed on the court.

That said, Marquette still returns an All-American, 2 other starters and virtually everyone else. The roster will also feature at least 3 new players (Koby, Ike and Dexter). It's possible Marquette can be as good without them -- perhaps even better.

But that possibility depends on a large number of "ifs":

• If poor team chemistry was the main reason MU lost 6 of its last 7
• If Wojo hasn't lost the team and rises to the challenge
• If the team gets closer and mentally tougher as a result
• If greater team quickness leads to improved defense and driving
• If team rebounding doesn't become a liability
• If Markus and Koby can play alongside one another
• If Koby, Brendan and Jamal become reasonable 3-point threats (35+%)
• If Theo can stay on the court longer to terrorize opposing offenses
• If Sacar steps up as as a senior leader and contributor
• If more of the potential we've seen in Brendan and Jamal is realized
• If Ike or yet-to-be-named signees can provide quality depth off the bench
• If Markus and the rest of the team stay healthy

Like I said, a lot of "ifs."

Unfortunately, we won't have answers to most of the above questions for another six months. It's gonna be a long off-season.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 11:54:36 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2019, 11:59:04 PM »
Sorry, I meant to post the above in the "Good, not great" thread.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2019, 12:30:56 AM »
Sorry, I meant to post the above in the "Good, not great" thread.

A nice break from the multiple different posting leans here.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2019, 12:32:35 AM »
You don't easily replace two players who were named to the All Big East 2nd team and Big East All-Freshman team in Sam and Joey, respectively. Joey was also named Big East Freshman of the Week five times.

Downplaying their talent serves no purpose. They were both deserving starters, good all-around players and will be missed on the court.

That said, Marquette still returns an All-American, 2 other starters and virtually everyone else. The roster will also feature at least 3 new players (Koby, Ike and Dexter). It's possible Marquette can be as good without them -- perhaps even better.

But that possibility depends on a large number of "ifs":

• If poor team chemistry was the main reason MU lost 6 of its last 7
• If Wojo hasn't lost the team and rises to the challenge
• If the team gets closer and mentally tougher as a result
• If greater team quickness leads to improved defense and driving
• If team rebounding doesn't become a liability
• If Markus and Koby can play alongside one another
• If Koby, Brendan and Jamal become reasonable 3-point threats (35+%)
• If Theo can stay on the court longer to terrorize opposing offenses
• If Sacar steps up as as a senior leader and contributor
• If more of the potential we've seen in Brendan and Jamal is realized
• If Ike or yet-to-be-named signees can provide quality depth off the bench
• If Markus and the rest of the team stay healthy

Like I said, a lot of "ifs."

Unfortunately, we won't have answers to most of the above questions for another six months. It's gonna be a long off-season.
Yes you do easily replace them and keep it moving. I do not know if I would use the word 'easily' because that is not well placed.

But lets use your word easily. So yes, it is possible that they can be easily replaced by changing the style and focus of the team.

THIS IS NOT THE NBA.

The college game changes all the time by necessity. They will just have to use their team strengths. Lets face it, this team was good, record-wise based on Marcus Howard.

They fell off when dissension and divisive set in and some thought that was not the case instead of sticking together.

Period. Lets not get it twisted. The opposing teams focus when they played the Golden Eagles was Howard, not the two brothers with all due respect.

Now, Howard can take a jump in leadership by helping his young teammates turn up their games and help make them better and more confident and assertive players all pulling the same rope, to improve his NBA stock.

It will come down to improved ball-handling, decision making and shot selection to a small extent [because his range is limitless so how do you tell him to not shoot the ball is beyond me???] and can he get his teammates to allow him to make them better with his leadership or not?

It's that simple.

If they all buy in to his Senior Leadership with Morrow and Sacar, sure they can be much better than last year. ESPECIALLY LATE IN THE YEAR at tournament time and I will assure you they won't drop 7 of 9 to end the year next year if healthy.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 12:37:32 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2019, 09:02:17 AM »
Honestly who gives AF. The world keeps turning. MU has a solid team next year. We return the Big East POY and should make the tournament. Life goes on. Let the Hauser bros go off and do their thing. Time to look forward. I could give a flying fudge where they end up, if it is UW so be it. People on this board need to let go.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2019, 09:15:41 AM »
Honestly who gives AF. The world keeps turning. MU has a solid team next year. We return the Big East POY and should make the tournament. Life goes on. Let the Hauser bros go off and do their thing. Time to look forward. I could give a flying fudge where they end up, if it is UW so be it. People on this board need to let go.

/\ /\  This  /\ /\
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2019, 09:49:21 AM »

Joey is a sieve on defense, definitely not an "all-around" player.

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2019, 09:59:52 AM »

I'm with you on this.  I see we lost 2 (one is my favorite player - Sam), but there was distinct dissention at the end of the season, and I saw it in Joey.  There was no question Markus was riding him a little, looking for a little more fire.  I'm not in on any inside info, I just get to watch the games I can get in FL, and to me, Joey was an issue just watching his attitude. 

The reality is we lose 2 quality starters, and get four players (Ike, Greg, Dexter, Koby).  NEXT MAN UP.  The chemistry of the team did revolve around Markus.  The current players all seem to like and respect him on the court.  No question the chemistry will be better.  Yet to be seen, but just my gut feel.  Watch the way Greg reacted off the bench to Markus nearly every game.  Cain played significantly better the year before with Greg in the game.  Just my observation, let the stat guys can go crunch numbers on it.  I also think Bailey was impressive for a guy that took 2 years off.  He grew a lot in one season.  I'm not too worried about him.

Are we a #2 team?  Nah!  Can we crack the top 10 ... maybe.  Are we going to challenge a lot of really strong teams?  I say yes. This is an exciting team coming up, and we'd be better off looking forward than whining and fingerpointing at the folks actually on the court doing the grunt work!

By the way, no results in yet, but we still don't know if we add to our talent (yes, we have a lot), but there is still a chance to pull in a nice transfer.  That can really be a significant boost.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2019, 10:13:59 AM »
What I have learned from Scoop:

The Hausers are definitely going to Virginia.
The Hausers are definitely going to MSU.
The Hausers are definitely going to Madison.

It was Wojo's fault.
It was Sam's fault.
It was Joey's fault.
It was Markus's fault.
It was Marcus's fault.

I have learned so much here.   

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2019, 12:02:55 PM »
I blame it all on THE TERROR. Matt was the only player in the hotel bar after the Murray State game.  He should have been back in the players rooms, breaking up this pillow fight.

Even though his MU career was over, and he had family in the bar waiting for him, he neglected his duties as the senior leader.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2019, 12:21:47 PM »
I blame it all on THE TERROR. Matt was the only player in the hotel bar after the Murray State game.  He should have been back in the players rooms, breaking up this pillow fight.

Even though his MU career was over, and he had family in the bar waiting for him, he neglected his duties as the senior leader.

+1, Matt Heldt was a cancer. Glad to see him gone.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #120 on: May 06, 2019, 02:02:06 PM »
This exactly...the parents were not in favor of them leaving MU, very strongly against it. And yes one Kid made the decision, the other went along with it, and would have gone along with whatever he decided.

Prove this is true, please.

Or stop claiming you know things that you very likely do not.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2019, 04:10:36 PM »

Careful!!

Many here do not acknowledge the existence of sarcasm.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2019, 04:27:53 PM »

Don't cry over graduated milk.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2019, 04:31:36 PM »
Don't cry over graduated milk.

Damn, excellent pun

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #124 on: May 06, 2019, 07:43:47 PM »
Damn, excellent pun