[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Next Three Games are the Real Deal  (Read 4372 times)

Class71

• All American
Next Three Games are the Real Deal
« on: January 27, 2019, 05:39:37 PM »
What MU has done to go 7-1 is incredible.  Impressive by any standard.  What they do in the next 3 games (Butler, STJ, `Nova) will be a real test of how good this team is. One win will be impressive, two will be outstanding and three suggests crowning a new Big East leader.

Will three wins happen? Don't know but it sure would be sweet.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

tower912

• All American
Re: Next Three Games are the Real Deal
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 05:41:42 PM »
Because 18-3 is only meh.   

I do not expect to win all 3.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 05:43:26 PM »
I think we'll be so good that we'll go 4-0 in the next 3 games!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 06:09:42 PM »
I’ll be thrilled with a win at Butler. Let’s show we’re road Warriors and get a 4th in a row on the road.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 06:46:58 PM »
Let’s win at Butler.  That is the next big test.  Go Marquette!

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 07:07:15 PM »
Key question is...will another Big East team help Marquette with a win over Nova or will Marquette need to win out including 2 victories over Nova?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 07:13:13 PM »
Key question is...will another Big East team help Marquette with a win over Nova or will Marquette need to win out including 2 victories over Nova?

None of us has the answer.

Also, none of us knows that MU won't lose to teams not named Nova.

If I had to guess, I'd say Nova will not go 17-1 in the BEast this season.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 07:29:46 PM »
I think we'll be so good that we'll go 4-0 in the next 3 games!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 07:41:31 PM »
I think they have very legit chance to win all three. Confidence level is high out at my house. Might not be pretty, but think they win all three.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 08:00:44 PM »
My guess is we lose to Butler and come home and take care of business in the other two.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 08:28:13 PM »
This team has found so many different ways to win that it's hard not to be optimistic.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 08:44:28 PM »
I’ve been saying all year Nova is going to figure it out and that I wish we had played them twice very early in the conference season. Booth and Paschal are awesome but they were transitioning from 4th and 5th best starters to the top players. And the rest of their guys were going from basically nobody or not even in the program to being relied on for major minutes. Jay’s as good of a coach as there is but there was always going to be a transition period. The transition is done. In my opinion they’ll be playing like one of the top 10 teams in the country come Tourney time.

And I still am having nightmares about that SJU game.

I’m most confident about the Butler game. But none of these will be easy. 2-1 and I will be very pleased.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 08:53:22 PM »
I see 1-2 or 2-1

Still think Nova absolute class of the league and that will be tough to overcome.  At Butler will not be easy and StJ absolutely desperate
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 09:23:16 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 09:19:38 PM »

Lose at Butler and we win the home games against SJU and Nova..

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 09:25:29 PM »
2nd, 3rd, and 4th hardest games remaining on the schedule IMHO. Maybe 2nd, 3rd, and 5th.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2019, 10:43:57 PM »
If MU wins at Butler, that will be very impressive. More so than beating Nova. Butler is desperate for a win. doubly so it gets a chance to knock off a top 15 team.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2019, 11:12:11 PM »
I was looking at the standings on kenpom today. Here is the conference rankings and conference SOS so far:

1) Villanova (9)
2) Marquette (10)
3t) Creighton (1)
3t) Providence (7)
3t) Georgetown (5)
6t) Butler (6)
6t) St John's (4)
6t) Seton Hall (3)
6t) Xavier (8)
6t) DePaul (2)

So breaking it into groups, it looks like the road gets harder for Villanova, Marquette, & Xavier (first to worst?). It gets easier for Creighton, DePaul, & Seton Hall (possibly teams with an edge on at large bids). And for the rest, it probably is what it is.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 02:50:34 AM »
I think they have very legit chance to win all three. Confidence level is high out at my house. Might not be pretty, but think they win all three.

I will take not pretty and 3 wins any time Goose.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 06:56:31 AM »
I was looking at the standings on kenpom today. Here is the conference rankings and conference SOS so far:

1) Villanova (9)
2) Marquette (10)
3t) Creighton (1)
3t) Providence (7)
3t) Georgetown (5)
6t) Butler (6)
6t) St John's (4)
6t) Seton Hall (3)
6t) Xavier (8)
6t) DePaul (2)

So breaking it into groups, it looks like the road gets harder for Villanova, Marquette, & Xavier (first to worst?). It gets easier for Creighton, DePaul, & Seton Hall (possibly teams with an edge on at large bids). And for the rest, it probably is what it is.

I think this is misleading in that MU and Nova haven’t played each other and can’t play themselves. If you look at who has the hardest schedules they have played MU and Nova. Those with the middle of the road schedule have only played one of them or haven’t played the next tier down. I don’t think their is a huge delta in the schedule to date but one thing will keep MU and Nova at the low end of the strength of schedule which is they can’t play themselves.  Xavier is an exception. I don’t understand how they can be eigth when Georgetown hasn’t played nova and only played MU once when Xavier has played Mu twice and Nova once.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 07:35:57 PM by BallBoy »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 07:43:41 AM »
I think this is misleading in that MU and Nova haven’t played each other and can’t play themselves. If you look at who has the hardest schedules they have played MU and Nova. Those with the middle of the road schedule have only played one of them or haven’t played the next tier down. I don’t think their is a huge delta in the schedule to date but one thing will keep MU and Nova at the low end of the strength of schedule which is they can’t play themselves.  Xavier is an exception. I don’t understand how they can be sixth when Georgetown hasn’t played nova and only played MU once when Xavier has played Mu twice and Nova once.

Yeah, I'm questioning how X could be 8th when they've played arguably the three toughest games on the conference schedule so far, @MU, @NOVA, MU. The rest of their schedule is pretty easy @DPL, GTWN, HALL, BUT but that doesn't seem like enough to overcome those top 3 games.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 07:54:50 AM »
Always worried about playing at Hinkle. Now Butler only has 3 remaining chances for a signature win (2 against Marquette). They'll be ready but I think we hold the talent edge by a good margin. Expecting another anxiety-inducing game on Wednesday.

SJU is not a great matchup for us but the 2 teams have certainly gone in different directions since the first meeting. At home, I like our chances.

Nova is obviously very good, but it will be a sellout and Fiserv will be rocking. Very winnable.

I'll predict 2-1 over the next 3, though a loss would not surprise me in any of these games.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 09:00:23 AM »

I’m most confident about the Butler game. But none of these will be easy. 2-1 and I will be very pleased.

Getting a little ahead of ourselves. Thought we could only look ahead to 1-0.

Butler will be a big test. However, I feel like this team finally learned how to win. Last year, we’d make a run but have a bad stretch in a game and we wouldn’t recover. This team is absorbing punches (sometimes to the groun) from other teams and steadying the ship. It really highlights the benefits of an experienced team.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 09:26:03 AM »
I'm thinking back to the C-USA days... MU could never win at Charlotte. It was bordering on ridiculous. The '03 team finally broke through and kept going from there.

Hopefully Wednesday can be a similar thing for this team.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 09:39:42 AM »
I think we go 2-1 at a minimum through the next 3 games, especially helpful is the "bye week" between Butler and STJ. If we lose to Butler it presents a reset spot for Wojo to get everyone refocused and ready for two tough games at home. If we win at Butler it gives the team a chance to celebrate a helluva start to conference play then refocus on the task at hand and scout the crap out of St Johns. I mean St John's could be trailing smoke coming into the Fiserv as they have to play @Creighton and @Duke before

Either way, that week of rest will be crucial for the team getting healthy and focused for the stretch run.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2019, 09:44:01 AM »
Wojo gets his first win at Butler, and we stomp St. John's at home.

Nova, on NMD, is gonna be fun!