[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Matt Heldt  (Read 8834 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Matt Heldt
« on: January 26, 2019, 03:40:30 PM »
Wojo with Homer just said.....
“How about Matt Heldt.......Matt Heldt.....Matt Heldt.”
Wojo said Matt has started ~60 Big East games, and was asked to play the scout team this week. Very unselfish guy.  Wojo said he asked the team how many of them would be willing to take on that role?
He said his asst. told him ‘hey coach 4 minutes left, let’s get Theo back in.’
Wojo said......ahhhh let’s just wait a second.
It sounded like Wojo was getting teared up.
Wojo said he was MVP today, so he agrees with me for SOTG!

tower912

• All American
Re: Matt Heldt
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 03:41:16 PM »
Character revealed.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 03:41:49 PM »
Yep.  Matty is what MU hoops is all about.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 03:43:36 PM »
Let's be honest, though. 2 points and 3 boards in 20 minutes, plus fouling out is not an MVP performance. I think Matt is a great asset to the team, but let's not get too crazy here.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 03:45:09 PM »
Let's be honest, though. 2 points and 3 boards in 20 minutes, plus fouling out is not an MVP performance. I think Matt is a great asset to the team, but let's not get too crazy here.

Decent defense, huge board and forced them to go to different looks.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 03:46:59 PM »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 03:47:18 PM »

Of course you're right.  There's a dozen scholarship players that are more talented.  None of them are better program guys.  We don't win without him today.  Everyone in that locker room knows that.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 03:47:25 PM »

Yeah, let's go with the box score, let's go with our juvenial instincts.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 03:52:13 PM »
Matt stepped up when Theo and Ed were both ineffective. Nobody said it was an MVP performance -- but Marquette doesn't win today without his tough defense. Not too many teams have a senior center who's played in over 100 games (including 39 starts) but comes off the bench behind 2 other players and averages just 7 mpg.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 04:00:37 PM »
According to Stathouse Stats

In BIG EAST play, Marquette's offense has scored at a clip of 1.073 points per possession with Heldt on the floor, the top mark for any individual player on the team #mubb #stathouse
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 04:03:06 PM »
Matt stepped up when Theo and Ed were both ineffective. Nobody said it was an MVP performance -- but Marquette doesn't win today without his tough defense. Not too many teams have a senior center who's played in over 100 games (including 39 starts) but comes off the bench behind 2 other players and averages just 7 mpg.

I don't quite understand that argument.

We don't win without Markus.
We don't win without Joey.
We don't win without Sam.
We don't win without BB.

Teams need guys like Matt. I love the effort that he gives every time on the floor. He stepped up when Morrow didn't. But let's not go overboard.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 04:04:19 PM »

It's about leadership period.  Does Marquette have a course on leadership or a major in leadership?  If not, maybe they should.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 04:07:21 PM »
All it means is that Matt made significant contributions when Theo and Ed were mostly ineffective (19 combined minutes, 0-2 from the field, 2 defensive rebounds, 1 block, 5 personal fouls).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 04:12:37 PM by Marcus92 »

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 04:10:25 PM »
All it means is that Matt made significant contributions when neither Theo or Ed were mostly ineffective (19 combined minutes, 0-2 from the field, 2 defensive rebounds, 1 block, 5 personal fouls).

What about kick outs, leadership, and everything not in the box score.   If we want to make decisions based on numbers then let's write an algorythmn and let it pick the SOTG.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 04:13:13 PM by vogue65 »

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 04:11:43 PM »
Matt played a great game, making key plays at critical times today.  He showed that most people greatly underestimate his talent on the court.  Thank you Matt for being a great team player.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 04:12:19 PM »
I never said Matt should be the SOTG. My vote goes to Markus. Sam or Joey would be good picks, as well. But Matt's contributions today were absolutely needed and worth recognizing.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 04:17:31 PM »
What about kick outs, leadership, and everything not in the box score.   If we want to make decisions based on numbers then let's write algorythmn and let it pick the SOTG.

It’s great that you believe Matt had a great game, should be SOTG, etc., but this is just a sports discussion board and posters have their own opinions.  In your recent posts, you have called those posters juveniles and pathetic, just for stating who they believe should be the SOTG.  Maybe after a win like this, some can make diplomatic conversation without the continuing adolescent name calling.  It gets old.
Relax and enjoy the results of a great comeback win.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 04:46:15 PM »
I don't quite understand that argument.

We don't win without Markus.
We don't win without Joey.
We don't win without Sam.
We don't win without BB.

Teams need guys like Matt. I love the effort that he gives every time on the floor. He stepped up when Morrow didn't. But let's not go overboard.

This. The "we don't win without so-and-so" argument is almost always silly.

It was nice to see Heldt contribute, and says a lot about him that he stayed ready when his number was called.

It’s great that you believe Matt had a great game, should be SOTG, etc., but this is just a sports discussion board and posters have their own opinions.  In your recent posts, you have called those posters juveniles and pathetic, just for stating who they believe should be the SOTG.  Maybe after a win like this, some can make diplomatic conversation without the continuing adolescent name calling.  It gets old.
Relax and enjoy the results of a great comeback win.

And this.

vogue, my friend ... lighten up, Francis.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 05:09:37 PM »
Great kid, gives everything he has, never quits on a possession. He has a lot of Olouma Nnamaka in him.

I'm gonna miss Matt.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2019, 05:39:45 PM »
I may have missed something,  but was something wrong with Ed?  Why didn't he go back in the game, especially when Theo and Matt both fouled out?  Did he aggravate the foot/ankle injury?  Or was Wojo just playing matchups at the end.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2019, 05:44:09 PM »
I may have missed something,  but was something wrong with Ed?  Why didn't he go back in the game, especially when Theo and Matt both fouled out?  Did he aggravate the foot/ankle injury?  Or was Wojo just playing matchups at the end.

Ed wasn’t playing well. Ed is better against slimmer more agile bigs while Matt and Theo are better against back to the basket, taller bigs like Xavier has. Theo gives up a lot of height on the block, so even if he holds his position bigs can shoot right over him on the block.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 05:50:19 PM »
Yeah, I could see Ed wasn't effective today, but I was still surprised  he didn't go in at the end. Thought he might be hurt.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2019, 07:34:19 PM »
In the postgame with Homer, Wojo said Ed played “very poorly today.”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 07:38:48 PM »
Ed has been dominated down low since returning from his ankle sprain.   It would not surprise me a bit if he is not 100%.    He is an undersized 5 to begin with.   If he is still a little gimpy, it only makes sense that the athletic bigs of the BEast have beat up on him lately.    I thought Wojo should have played Heldt more against Providence and DePaul.    Matt didn't post big numbers today.   But we all see how hard he worked.
Get Ed healthy and confident by March. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 07:53:59 PM »

I think to some of us SOTG is not always about stats, but about being ready at critical times  to deliver what is needed when not playing much during the season.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2019, 08:16:25 PM »
Wojo wasn't wrong when he said the strength of this team is the team.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2019, 08:41:08 PM »
I respect Matt's commitment to the team and embracing any role. For a senior that was used to playing more, he clearly cares about the team first. We needed him to step in for a lot of minutes today and he made a couple big plays when it mattered. That offensive board that led to a three was huge (Sam or Joey?).

I remember Matt made some threes in high school. He's got a nice stroke from the line. I'm a little surprised we never tried to develop him into a pick and pop big at some point.

connie

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2019, 09:56:24 PM »
Let's not forget that this is a man that is used to starting, and now is on the scout team.  He stepped up big when needed.  Yes, that is what he is supposed to do, but it is another thing to actually do it.  The numbers don't show Matt's impact today.  I think his impact on the team is the type you really miss when it is gone.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2019, 10:41:39 PM »
Iz grate dat Heldt puttz in an honest dayz work. Watt a novel idea especially in exchange four a $200k education. Only in Amerika, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2019, 11:06:12 PM »
Thrilled about the contribution Matt made today.

I still say that the first sign that we were going to have a great season was when he was playing well under 10 mpg (or not at all).

Every program needs guys like Matt Heldt. Very good to great teams need starters and other big-minute players to be better than him.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2019, 11:15:52 PM »
Iz grate dat Heldt puttz in an honest dayz work. Watt a novel idea especially in exchange four a $200k education. Only in Amerika, hey?

Are you actually saying most D1 athletes don't work hard?

That is beyond stupid.

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2019, 11:54:37 PM »
Wojo with Homer just said.....
“How about Matt Heldt.......Matt Heldt.....Matt Heldt.”
Wojo said Matt has started ~60 Big East games, and was asked to play the scout team this week. Very unselfish guy.  Wojo said he asked the team how many of them would be willing to take on that role?
He said his asst. told him ‘hey coach 4 minutes left, let’s get Theo back in.’
Wojo said......ahhhh let’s just wait a second.
It sounded like Wojo was getting teared up.
Wojo said he was MVP today, so he agrees with me for SOTG!

I love that about this team... the glue guys/ team guys like Matt and Sacar are so key to the wins
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2019, 12:11:18 AM »
Senior day will be pretty special.  If I’m not mistaken, Matt will be the first four year player to graduate under Wojo, right? 

Doo

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2019, 12:26:22 AM »
Yeah, I could see Ed wasn't effective today, but I was still surprised  he didn't go in at the end. Thought he might be hurt.
I think Wojo knew that X was committed to fouling and put Sacar in because he is a better FT shooter and ball handler.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2019, 01:39:13 AM »
Did I step on some over sensitive toes last night?
Is my thinking outside the box(score) acting like a name calling knuckelhead?
No need to defend myself, sorry if I distracted from the band wagon.

Nevertheless, the big three put us in a position to win and in the end, without Matt, we would have had an L and not a W.  Coach made a big time decision at the end of the game and it worked out.  If it hadn't this board would have gone bonkers. Apparently, he really knows his horses.

On to Indianapolis and another road win.  At least I'll be back in the states and can watch the game on T.V. and keep my big mouth shut.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2019, 05:05:39 AM »
Are you actually saying most D1 athletes don't work hard?

That is beyond stupid.

Nope, let's not trip over ourselves giving Heldt kudos for doing the job he's paid to do.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

connie

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2019, 06:27:33 AM »

Nope, let's not trip over ourselves giving Heldt kudos for doing the job he's paid to do.
No wonder Scoop often falls into the well of despair.  Can't give praise to a guy who plays more big east minutes in one game than he has all year, outperforming the 2 players in front of him (at least according to the coach).

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2019, 06:34:36 AM »

Somebody needs a whiff of his own laughing gas.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2019, 07:13:47 AM »
Somebody needs a whiff of his own laughing gas.

I can't possibly think why someone wouldn't (want to) feel happy for Matt after this one, but hey, to each his own...
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2019, 08:01:29 AM »

I do think that we are going overboard. Heldt played well. But he wasn't spectacular and wasn't stud worthy.

Wojo's job isn't to give blunt assessments of player's performance. His job is to build and motivate a team. Him saying the things he said about Matt was not only about his obvious care about him as an individual, but it's also about sending messages to his team that everyone needs to be ready to perform.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2019, 08:02:28 AM »

Yeah, I don't think he was crazy about Wojo either.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2019, 08:05:16 AM »
What's so hard, unusual, and noble about doing the job you're hired to do?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2019, 08:13:52 AM »
What's so hard, unusual, and noble about doing the job you're hired to do?

A sports team dynamic, where the best players are allowed to perform while the rest watch them and rarely perform, is a little different than the normal workplace dynamic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2019, 09:01:29 AM »
I am happy that Matt did a nice job yesterday, but I do agree not going overboard. Liking and pulling for a guy is natural and many here adopted Matt long ago and I am fine with that.
Seriously, the way it comes across to me is simple, expectations are very low for Matt, and the Matt fan club loves when exceeds that bar. That is fine, but not worthy of excessive praise.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 09:08:57 AM by Goose »

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2019, 09:24:15 AM »
I am happy that Matt did a nice job yesterday, but I do agree not going overboard. Liking and pulling for a guy is natural and many here adopted Matt long ago and I am fine with that.
Seriously, the way it comes across to me is simple, expectations are very low for Matt, and the Matt fan club loves when exceeds that bar. That is fine, but not worthy of excessive praise.
Yep.  Matt is what he is.  He can do fine when playing against strictly low post guys like X has.  He has had a few of those games in his time.   But, do have to give him kudos for being a great program guy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2019, 09:31:28 AM »
Yep. Matt did his job yesterday. He was ready despite barely playing the entire BEast season, he gave us minutes and fouls when we needed him, and he made two big plays on offensive rebounds. But he is what he is, and it's possible he goes another half-dozen games before being asked to contribute again. Or maybe he'll be asked next game.

Most of us here are pretty knowledgeable about basketball, and I think most of us here realize we are a better team if Theo stays out of foul trouble and stays on the court for 30 minutes.

I will say that it's nice to see Doc acknowledge that athletes are employees and should be entitled to the same treatment and benefits that employees such as coaches are. One day in the not-too-distant future, courts might acknowledge the same.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2019, 09:46:48 AM »
Ed has been dominated down low since returning from his ankle sprain.   It would not surprise me a bit if he is not 100%.    He is an undersized 5 to begin with.   If he is still a little gimpy, it only makes sense that the athletic bigs of the BEast have beat up on him lately.    I thought Wojo should have played Heldt more against Providence and DePaul.    Matt didn't post big numbers today.   But we all see how hard he worked.
Get Ed healthy and confident by March.

Might be right about Ed not being 100%.   But he has problems with atheistic 6’ 9+ centers. He really is only 6’7” isn’t he?  Hope he gets back on track and wish him the best.  Great attitude out on court

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2019, 11:10:33 AM »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2019, 11:24:46 AM »
Two key points relating to Matt.

First, Consistency and reliability is something coaches value highly. Matt can consistently put out up to 25 serviceable Big East minutes.My definition of serviceable is that a player is not a liability or weak link . Matt has also shown steady progression each year and during the year. Even in the limited appearances he has made this year , he has shown improvement in many of the little things that make him valuable.  For example his boxing out work is textbook and has been cited by announcers and demonstrated in replays. 

Second, Theo has improved significantly to the point that he is a game changing player. Ed demonstrates skills that Matt does not have. Hence, Matt is now our third string Center and a role player. This entire circumstance is highly beneficial to the team.  I think this depth will give us an edge in the tournament.

Typically when players are in Matts situation they see the hand writing on the wall in terms of playing time . They  will bail out and transfer in order to get maximize their eligibility.   Matt has stayed the course , and the team benefits from him every day in practice.   
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2019, 11:39:41 AM »
I don’t see Ed as head and shoulders above Matt. Especially in their offensive back to the basket sets. Ed is more active and more aggressive on the boards, but Matt plays smarter. I think there is room for both for the remainder of the season.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2019, 02:48:49 PM »
Might be right about Ed not being 100%.   But he has problems with atheistic 6’ 9+ centers. He really is only 6’7” isn’t he?  Hope he gets back on track and wish him the best.  Great attitude out on court
Even MU82 will acknowledge that what a 6'9+ center's religious beliefs are irrelevant to his on court performance.

connie

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2019, 03:06:08 PM »
Even MU82 will acknowledge that what a 6'9+ center's religious beliefs are irrelevant to his on court performance.
I don't know.  Every player has to believe in something.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2019, 07:15:14 PM »
God only knows who would be the center on the all-time All-Atheist Team.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2019, 09:37:34 PM »
I can't possibly think why someone wouldn't (want to) feel happy for Matt after this one, but hey, to each his own...

The point of my post - which was quite simple - was a rebuke to the dude who inferred that most D1 athletes don't play hard. That is an incredibly stupid thing to say. And it goes beyond stupid in ways that I won't go into.

As I said in several different threads, I love what Matt brings to the program.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2019, 09:58:15 AM »
God only knows who would be the center on the all-time All-Atheist Team.

Eye'm bettin' on God Shammgod, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2019, 10:09:10 AM »
The point of my post - which was quite simple - was a rebuke to the dude who inferred that most D1 athletes don't play hard. That is an incredibly stupid thing to say. And it goes beyond stupid in ways that I won't go into.

As I said in several different threads, I love what Matt brings to the program.

I think you missed the point of the post you responded to.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2019, 03:29:29 PM »
I think you missed the point of the post you responded to.

Could be, Ski. Sometimes hard to figure when reading a reply to a reply. I never claimed to be the smartest guy on the board.