[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2011-12 NFC North Division  (Read 69343 times)

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
Re: 2011-12 NFC North Division
« Reply #550 on: January 03, 2012, 07:59:56 AM »
It's a big risk and I don't see the Pack doing it (I think there is a very good chance they'll franchise Finley) but there is precedent with Cassell and the Patriots/Chiefs trade.

Here's an article by the JS that explains in more detail how you might do this. 

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/flynn-departure-may-not-aid-packers-k43ld06-136557403.html

In my book it's still a very risky strategy.  The Cassel trade was a little unique in that Pioli went from NE to KC and already had a desire to grab Cassel and had seen him on a daily basis.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #551 on: January 03, 2012, 08:12:28 AM »
I think the article stated the situation fairly well.

The one way that the Packers could get it done is to sign Flynn before the start of FA.  Work out an arrangement with Flynn that they will sign him to a contract worthy of a starting QB, perhaps even a one year contract to allow Flyn some negotiating flexibiliy with his new team.  They would then need to work out a trade with a select group of teams that Flynn would be able to go in as the starting QB.

Now, for that to work, Flynn would need to show loyalty to the Packer organization for developing him and giving him the opportunity.  His agent would also need to be on board.  It is less risky that the Franchise designation, but still a risk to both parties.  It also requires a type of willingness on behalf of a player/agent that we don't see in pro sports very often.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #552 on: January 03, 2012, 08:25:09 AM »
BTW, pursuant to Scharz's meltdown on Sunday.   It was appropriate.    The officials had so completely messed up the call, and had compounded it in that situation by not taking the safe, default route of simply calling a touchdown and letting replay sort it out.   Watching other games this year, it has appeared that they are taking that route more often, as it is the path of least resistance.    Call it a TD and let replay confirm or overturn.       Sometimes coaches lose their minds.    Basketball coaches get technicals and ejected, baseball managers get run, it happens.   
    Bigger picture, is he a hothead?    And to answer that, I refer to my previous post. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #553 on: January 03, 2012, 08:34:37 AM »
BTW, pursuant to Scharz's meltdown on Sunday.   It was appropriate.    The officials had so completely messed up the call, and had compounded it in that situation by not taking the safe, default route of simply calling a touchdown and letting replay sort it out.   Watching other games this year, it has appeared that they are taking that route more often, as it is the path of least resistance.    Call it a TD and let replay confirm or overturn.       Sometimes coaches lose their minds.    Basketball coaches get technicals and ejected, baseball managers get run, it happens.   
    Bigger picture, is he a hothead?    And to answer that, I refer to my previous post. 

I agree completely they botched the call - in all regards.  Unfortunately, it was far from the only call they botched.  I also agree with Billick (did I really say that?) who said the NFL should review all plays within the end zone envelope. 

Actually, I prefer the NFL would go to the college version of replay.  I know some sentiment is that they tried that approach and it did not work.  Now, though, it doesn't seem that college reviews take quite as long, nor do they disrupt the flow of the game as much as the NFL's replay system does. 

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #554 on: January 03, 2012, 08:54:09 AM »
Actually, I prefer the NFL would go to the college version of replay.  I know some sentiment is that they tried that approach and it did not work.  Now, though, it doesn't seem that college reviews take quite as long, nor do they disrupt the flow of the game as much as the NFL's replay system does. 

The NFL could do that, but would probably have to eliminate some of their commercial breaks to allow for the added replay time.  We know that will never happen, as the NFL loves money more than it cares about pissed off coaches.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #555 on: January 03, 2012, 09:29:43 AM »
Looks like Jerry Angelo's reign as Bears GM is finally over. I wonder if Lovie is done as well.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-jerry-angelo-out-as-bears-gm-20120103,0,3365211.story

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #556 on: January 03, 2012, 09:42:04 AM »
Looks like Jerry Angelo's reign as Bears GM is finally over. I wonder if Lovie is done as well.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-jerry-angelo-out-as-bears-gm-20120103,0,3365211.story

Jeff Fisher to the Bears...
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #557 on: January 03, 2012, 09:45:02 AM »

I was thinking that same thing.

While I do like Lovie and believe he's an underrated coach who's accomplished  a lot without having the most talent-laden rosters, I wouldn't be heartbroken if he were shown the door.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #558 on: January 03, 2012, 09:48:52 AM »

As a football fan, I really like Lovie.  I think he is a very good coach.  Always has the Bears playing at a high level.  If injuries to Cutler and Forte did not kill this offense, no way anyone talks about replacing him.  He is one year removed from an NFC Championship.  I enjoy the Packer-Bears games in part due to Lovie's comments when he was hired.  Taking a shot at the Packers - then he has backed it up.

If he is let go, Fischer is another coach that I like and respect.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #559 on: January 03, 2012, 09:55:16 AM »
Someone will pay Matt Flynn some money this off season, and he will be a starting QB.

Care to place a bet on this?

Hards --- swear to God, I hope you took this bet.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #560 on: January 03, 2012, 09:57:47 AM »
Hards --- swear to God, I hope you took this bet.

Nope, I always feel bad taking people's money.

I just like knowing im awesome.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #561 on: January 03, 2012, 09:58:15 AM »
As a football fan, I really like Lovie.  I think he is a very good coach.  Always has the Bears playing at a high level.  If injuries to Cutler and Forte did not kill this offense, no way anyone talks about replacing him.  He is one year removed from an NFC Championship.  I enjoy the Packer-Bears games in part due to Lovie's comments when he was hired.  Taking a shot at the Packers - then he has backed it up.

If he is let go, Fischer is another coach that I like and respect.

Lovie is a mediocre coach that has had a great defense to work with.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #562 on: January 03, 2012, 09:59:05 AM »

Would Fisher really be all that different from Lovie? I mean, he is a veteran head coach with past success, that's defensive minded. On a quick comparison, Fisher and Lovie are extremely similar.

If Lovie is replaced, time to go another route and go with a guy from the offensive side of the ball.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #563 on: January 03, 2012, 10:01:53 AM »
Nope, I always feel bad taking people's money.

I just like knowing im awesome.

glad you didn't. my crow is a little on the rare side for my liking...

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #564 on: January 03, 2012, 10:05:18 AM »
Would Fisher really be all that different from Lovie? I mean, he is a veteran head coach with past success, that's defensive minded. On a quick comparison, Fisher and Lovie are extremely similar.

If Lovie is replaced, time to go another route and go with a guy from the offensive side of the ball.

1 big difference I see is emotion.  Lovie appears to display none.  Not saying I need Rex Ryan or Schwartz screaming on the Bears sideline, but give me something. 

I think if available the Bears would be a perfect fit for Fisher: established QB, solid (but aging D), all pro RB.  Martz will most surely be gone I would think. 

I think it all depends on the GM. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #565 on: January 03, 2012, 10:20:49 AM »
1 big difference I see is emotion.  Lovie appears to display none.  Not saying I need Rex Ryan or Schwartz screaming on the Bears sideline, but give me something. 

I think if available the Bears would be a perfect fit for Fisher: established QB, solid (but aging D), all pro RB.  Martz will most surely be gone I would think. 

I think it all depends on the GM. 

IMO, emotion is highly, highly overrated. It's something of a lot of fans like to point to, but I don't think makes a bit of difference when it comes to winning and losing. If anything, it can be a negative (See Ryan or Schwartz).

I will say this about Lovie, he doesn't have that outward passion, but in his 8 years with Bears, his teams have never quit on him.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #566 on: January 03, 2012, 10:23:36 AM »
Surprised by the Angelo news, but not shocked. Believe Ruskell is gone too, but have not gotten full confirmation.

Hearing Reggie McKenzie's name, a lot, in the last hour. If it is McKenzie, I believe Lovie will coach at least the next season, but that's a lot of speculation right now. Can't see the Bears going after a Parcells type (not that they'd go after Parcells). They won't want to spend that kind of money (with Angelo's buyout) and they already have Phillips in place as team president.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #567 on: January 03, 2012, 10:24:59 AM »
I will say this about Lovie, he doesn't have that outward passion, but in his 8 years with Bears, his teams have never quit on him.

Agree.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #568 on: January 03, 2012, 10:36:24 AM »
Surprised by the Angelo news, but not shocked. Believe Ruskell is gone too, but have not gotten full confirmation.

Hearing Reggie McKenzie's name, a lot, in the last hour. If it is McKenzie, I believe Lovie will coach at least the next season, but that's a lot of speculation right now. Can't see the Bears going after a Parcells type (not that they'd go after Parcells). They won't want to spend that kind of money (with Angelo's buyout) and they already have Phillips in place as team president.
McKenzie would be a very nice fit for the Bears.  I would hate to see it, and prefer he go to the Raiders as has been speculated.  Any way you look at it, though, he is well overdue the opportunity.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #569 on: January 03, 2012, 10:38:40 AM »
IMO, emotion is highly, highly overrated. It's something of a lot of fans like to point to, but I don't think makes a bit of difference when it comes to winning and losing. If anything, it can be a negative (See Ryan or Schwartz).

I agree with all you stated in your past two posts. 

As for emotion, for an NFL coach, that is far overrated.  There are ways to get it done without showing emotion.  Fans always want to see more than the coaches provide.  The fans, though, are not the ones that get fired.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #570 on: January 03, 2012, 11:23:11 AM »

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #571 on: January 03, 2012, 11:28:07 AM »
ChiTrib article...Lovie to stay.  Presser at 4

Lovie to stay ... for now.  Whoever the new GM is, unless that has already been decided and they signed off on Lovie, will ultimately decide the fate of Lovie.  Or else they would be fools to accept the job.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #572 on: January 03, 2012, 11:32:59 AM »
Lovie to stay ... for now.  Whoever the new GM is, unless that has already been decided and they signed off on Lovie, will ultimately decide the fate of Lovie.  Or else they would be fools to accept the job.

This is the Bears...Virginia thinks of Lovie as her son. He stays.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #573 on: January 03, 2012, 11:43:11 AM »
Packers won a Super Bowl w/o Finley.  I don't think he's worth franchise money. 

$5.5 million for a year looks pretty reasonable to me.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #574 on: January 03, 2012, 11:55:33 AM »
TT might franchise Tim Mashtay.

feedback