collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2011-12 NFC North Division  (Read 69342 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: 2011-12 NFC North Division
« Reply #475 on: December 22, 2011, 01:40:02 PM »
MU B2002 hit the nail on the head. The Bears wasted possessions with Collins in the game (including one where they took over near midfield after Urlacher's INT) and Hanie missed a wide-open Forte on Raji's pick six. Don't forget that the Hanie-led Bears outscored the Packers 14-7 in the 2nd half. If the Bears kick a FG after the Urlacher pick and the back-up QB doesn't throw the ball to Raji, Bears 17-14. Even with those plays, the Bears were getting close to the red zone when Hanie threw another pick. I realize that there are if's in there and that the game wouldn't have played out exactly the same way, etc, etc but to act like it's inconceivable for the Bears to have come back is just ignorant.

Oh and Matt Flynn? Seriously?

Fair enough.  Like you said, there are an awful lot of "if's" in there.  Rodgers made basically the same interception throw to Urlacher inside the 10 (he has like 81 touchdowns to 3 interceptions on his career in the red zone) that Heine made to Raji.  So Rodgers took away 7 points and Heine's added 7 points.  If we're going into hypotheticals about what would have happened if one play wasn't made, those 2 even each other out.  Like Dish said, no way to know if Cutler picks his game up if he's healthy in the 2nd half or what happens.  I just don't think a different backup quarterback makes a difference.

Also, list better backup quarterbacks in the NFL.  I can't think of many.  It's easy to say "Really?" and not provide any options to consider.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #476 on: December 22, 2011, 02:10:45 PM »
At the end of the day, the Packers were the better team and won, and went on to be world champions. Cutler/No Cutler, good Bears defense...didn't matter in the end.

All I want to see this Sunday is Enderlee under center. The only meaning this game has as a Bears fan is if they wasted yet another draft pick. Packers will be on their way to the 1 seed and have bigger fish to fry down the road.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #477 on: December 22, 2011, 02:52:09 PM »
Fair enough.  Like you said, there are an awful lot of "if's" in there.  Rodgers made basically the same interception throw to Urlacher inside the 10 (he has like 81 touchdowns to 3 interceptions on his career in the red zone) that Heine made to Raji.  So Rodgers took away 7 points and Heine's added 7 points.  If we're going into hypotheticals about what would have happened if one play wasn't made, those 2 even each other out.  Like Dish said, no way to know if Cutler picks his game up if he's healthy in the 2nd half or what happens.  I just don't think a different backup quarterback makes a difference.

Also, list better backup quarterbacks in the NFL.  I can't think of many.  It's easy to say "Really?" and not provide any options to consider.

You're missing your own point. You said that a better back-up QB wouldn't have made a difference in the game's outcome. I detailed how it very well could have (wasted field position, making a poor read). Did Cutler's injury or a better back-up QB have an effect on Rodger's endzone INT? No! I can say that if Rodgers threw 5 INTs, all of which were returned for TDs, the Bears would have won with me at QB in the second half. That's not the issue though.

Flynn has 1 NFL start (a loss), has thrown all of 88 passes and he has 3 TDs to 4 INTs. He hasn't really proven anything at the NFL level. I'm not saying he'll never be a good player. I'm saying that he's an unknown commodity. If he's forced into action for 4-5 straight games and performs well then I'd have no problem saying that he's one of the top back-ups in the league. One start, albeit a good one, and some garbage time is not enough of a sampling for me. Until he actually does something consistently on an NFL field, it would be hard to say that he's better than John Skelton, Chris Redman, Seneca Wallace, Matt Moore, Vince Young or David Carr. Kyle Orton and Jason Campbell will be back-ups somewhere next season and I'd rank them ahead of Flynn too. Based on limited action, quite a few football people thought that Hanie was a very good back-up and we've all seen how that's turned out.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #478 on: December 22, 2011, 03:04:02 PM »

I'm utterly shocked that no one has yet made the argument: "...duuhhh, Tim Tebow was a backup at the beginning of the season and he's better than Matt Flynn....duuurrrrrr."

If you look at strictly at backup QB's - specifically excluding guys who were promoted/demoted during the season - Matt Flynn is the best backup in the NFL.  If you don't believe this, wait until he becomes a FA and watch how many teams go after him.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #479 on: December 23, 2011, 04:24:23 PM »
... To be a backup.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #480 on: December 23, 2011, 04:28:36 PM »
Better back up QB's?    The list starts with Shaun Hill.   With Stafford staying relatively healthy, he just hasn't played much this year.  Sure am glad the Lions have him, though.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #481 on: December 23, 2011, 04:34:22 PM »
Is Billy Volek still a backup in SD?  Wasn't he thought to be a hot name backup QB at one time? 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #482 on: December 23, 2011, 07:13:42 PM »
... To be a backup.

Best position in football, the backup QB.  People over estimate your talents, because you do not have to display them on a weekly basis.  When the team is playing poorly, all the expert coaches, aka fans, know want the backup QB to play, because it is obvious he is better.

That said, I am not sold on Matt Flynn.  He had the one game against NE where he played well.  Still, on the goal line when the Packers had a chance to put it away, they did not allow him to turn it over - thus they kicked a FG and NE won.  He played alright against the Lions the week earlier when he filled in for Rodgers.  He threw the pick on the goal line and missed the receiver late in the game.  

Personally, I think he is still very much an unknown.  Teams now have film on him from the Regular Season.  See how they game plan him and how he performs.  Haine was regarded highly due to the NFC Championship Game.  Now, though, there is film on him and he is not playing at the same level because of that.  Flynn is better than Haine, merely for the fact that he has not played this year, so people think he would perform at the level of the NE game.  Maybe, maybe not.  McCarthy and Thompson really like him, which is the one reason why I think he might be decent.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 07:16:48 PM by MUMac »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #483 on: December 23, 2011, 07:18:34 PM »
Any opinions on who I should start in my FF Super Bowl, Eli or Rodgers?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #484 on: December 24, 2011, 09:24:03 AM »
Someone will pay Matt Flynn some money this off season, and he will be a starting QB.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #485 on: December 24, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
Not when there are so many young starters and really good draft prospects.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #486 on: December 24, 2011, 09:29:30 AM »
Hards, just curious what team would that be with?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #487 on: December 24, 2011, 09:32:03 AM »
Hards, just curious what team would that be with?

I'm not sure why I have to name a team.  Someone will pay him.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #488 on: December 24, 2011, 09:52:07 AM »
Was just curious if u had a specific team in mind, but u were just making a general statement.  No big deal.  

Just for the sake of argument let's look: (I have a lot of free time since the entire Bears offense is pretty much out for the year)

No: DET, CHI, MIN, GB, NOL, ATL, CAR, SF, STL, ARI, DAL, NYG, PHI, PIT, BAL, CIN, NE, NYJ, BUF, TEN, HOU, IND, JAX, OAK, DEN, SD, KC

Maybe: TB, SEA, WAS, CLE, MIA

Current Starters of the 'maybes'
NFC

TB: Freeman. Candidate #1
Sea: T Jax

Was: Grossman

AFC
North
Cle: McCoy

South
Jax: Not sold on Gabbert, but hard to see them dumping a first round pick one year in.  Other than MJD he has very little help. I think they try and draft Blackmon and give him 1 more year.

East
MIA: Moore - Had a decent end to the season, will be curious to see if they let him battle with Henne for #1 next season.
Buf: They would have to do something with Fitz and that crapload of money they just paid him.

Have Luck, RGIII, and Landry Jones likely available in the draft as 1st round talent.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 10:18:30 AM by MU B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #489 on: December 24, 2011, 10:25:31 AM »

Eli: Jets are rated 7th against the pass, and you have to think Cruz has fired Revis and company up for this week.

Rodgers: Bears 27th against the pass in just looking at yards per game and the safeties have been beat up as of late.  Playing at home just looking at stats, location and D this would seem to be the better matchup.  But, if the Packers clinch home field prior to the game Sunday night does he play the whole game?

I would say Eli. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #490 on: December 24, 2011, 11:17:28 AM »

Rodgers. Don't overthink it. Go with the horse that got you here.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #491 on: December 24, 2011, 12:40:02 PM »
Rodgers. Don't overthink it. Go with the horse that got you here.

Went with your advice, ride or die with Rodgers.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #492 on: December 24, 2011, 01:23:06 PM »
Went with your advice, ride or die with Rodgers.

The Bears defense knows the Packers offense (and how to slow it down) better than any other team.  That 100 yard touchdown to Cruz would've been nice to have.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

reinko

• All American
« Reply #493 on: December 24, 2011, 01:34:47 PM »
The Bears defense knows the Packers offense (and how to slow it down) better than any other team.  That 100 yard touchdown to Cruz would've been nice to have.

Truth.  The Bengals Defense and CJ Spiller are picking up the slack  ;D

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #494 on: December 24, 2011, 02:59:15 PM »
Someone will pay Matt Flynn some money this off season, and he will be a starting QB.
Care to place a bet on this?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #495 on: December 24, 2011, 06:17:30 PM »
Lions are in.   Stunned giddiness ensues.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #496 on: December 25, 2011, 07:33:58 AM »

Congrats Tower.  I had hoped the Bears would have joined the Lions as a Wildcard making the NFC North the top Division.  Damn injuries!

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #497 on: December 25, 2011, 08:42:21 AM »
They still have a chance right?  2 losses by Atlanta and 2 wins by Chi and they are in.  Although I was seen nothing to indicate Bears are going to win 1 more, let alone 2.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #498 on: December 25, 2011, 09:00:47 AM »
They still have a chance right?  2 losses by Atlanta and 2 wins by Chi and they are in.  Although I was seen nothing to indicate Bears are going to win 1 more, let alone 2.
Chance?  Yes.  Realistic?  No.  Until the injuries, they were far better than Atlanta.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #499 on: December 25, 2011, 11:46:50 AM »

If the cubs win the world series in '12, we will all know the Mayans are correct.