[Today at 09:59:47 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2011-12 NFC North Division  (Read 69354 times)

martyconlonontherun

• All American
Re: 2011-12 NFC North Division
« Reply #450 on: December 14, 2011, 05:12:30 PM »
even with no hope that I would ever see a return on that money, but that's what the banner sold for in 2009 - $725.  To me, that's a steal... to nearly everyone else, that's a waste of $725.

If you forge an autograph or make a replica of something, it has virtually no value at all... even to a serious collector.  Even something that is "worthless" has value if it's authentic.
That's reason number 1 for me. It's an authentic piece of memorabilia I will own my whole life.

2. It's donating to "my program." I know the differences between an educational institution and a professional business, but it's donating to a stadium fund which is very similar to donating to the AL. Besides all the BS, we donated because we want a good bball program, not for academics.

3. You get to go to the share holders meeting and free tour. I find them interesting and by law they have to break down everything for investors. I went 4 times with 3 guest each time using my tickets. Value the presentation and tour at $10 per person and I have paid for it on that alone. Plan on going once every 5 years in the future. (Not this year since all the newbies will be going)

LON

• All American
« Reply #451 on: December 15, 2011, 07:47:30 AM »
http://games.espn.go.com/frontpage/football

sigh...

ESPN is magnificent at trolling.  It really is down to a science with the Mothership.

LON

• All American
« Reply #452 on: December 15, 2011, 11:55:21 AM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-rodgers-aim-keep-bears-out-of-playoffs-20111215,0,1579354.story

Awesome.

“I'll just say that I think, as players, we would probably like to finish this thing out if we get a chance,” Rodgers said Wednesday of the team's goals for the stretch run, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “And (have) a chance to maybe keep the Bears and the Lions out of the playoffs like the Bears tried to do to us last year.”

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #453 on: December 15, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-rodgers-aim-keep-bears-out-of-playoffs-20111215,0,1579354.story

Awesome.

“I'll just say that I think, as players, we would probably like to finish this thing out if we get a chance,” Rodgers said Wednesday of the team's goals for the stretch run, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “And (have) a chance to maybe keep the Bears and the Lions out of the playoffs like the Bears tried to do to us last year.”

So they're going to do limited game-planning and shoot for individual milestones?  ;)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #454 on: December 15, 2011, 08:47:37 PM »

Awesome.

the bears didn't try very hard in week 17 last year.  and it cost them a damn super bowl.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #455 on: December 18, 2011, 07:08:54 PM »
I've been cynical and critical of the Lions all year.  I've been disappointed too many times.   Like a lot of guys do in regards to MU, I do to the Lions.   I see all of the problems and none of the strengths.   No running game.   Immature.   Stupid penalties.   Too many drops.   But they set a record today by becoming the first team to ever come from 13+ behind and win 4 times in the same season.    The cynic in me says they shouldn't fall that far behind in the first damned place.   But the bottom line is if they beat the Chargers next week, they make the playoffs for the first time this millenium.     I still don't think they win a playoff game, but they've come a long way in the last 3 years.   Good on ya. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #456 on: December 21, 2011, 11:42:38 AM »
Josh McCown will be starting for the Bears at Lambeau on Christmas night. You've been warned, Packers fans!

The warning is because you've likely not seen an opposing QB this bad since, well, Todd Collins 11 months ago.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #457 on: December 21, 2011, 09:33:40 PM »
Is Rodgers/starters going to play the entire game? My assumption is yes, but haven't paid close enough attention this week. Only interesting portion of the game will be to see the Pack offense vs Bears defense. I'm going to guess Packers 20, Bears 3.

Enderlee should be starting, it's a joke that he's not.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #458 on: December 22, 2011, 04:52:32 AM »
Is Rodgers/starters going to play the entire game? My assumption is yes, but haven't paid close enough attention this week. Only interesting portion of the game will be to see the Pack offense vs Bears defense. I'm going to guess Packers 20, Bears 3.

Enderlee should be starting, it's a joke that he's not.

McCarthy has not stated his plan, other than he says he has one.  I would guess that it depends, in part, whether or not they clinched home field before kick off.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #459 on: December 22, 2011, 07:36:01 AM »
Totally depends on how SF plays.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #460 on: December 22, 2011, 08:16:27 AM »
Why is Enderlee not starting?  Isn't it time to see what they have in him, and not the retread?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #461 on: December 22, 2011, 08:33:29 AM »
Why is Enderlee not starting?  Isn't it time to see what they have in him, and not the retread?

IMO, Enderle is not starting because either 1) he's absolutely terrible or 2) the Bears don't want to give the impression that they're packing it in this season and planning for the future when they still have a shot at the playoffs.

If it's #1, that falls on Angelo and Martz (Martz worked with Enderle in the past and pushed for the Bears to draft him). #2 would be understandable if they brought in McNabb or some other QB who had actually played in the NFL over the last 3+ seasons.

My guess is that the Bears can't move the ball and Packers are up by 14-17 points in the second half and eventually McCown turns into a TO machine, the D packs it in and the final ends up 38-3 or something equally ugly.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #462 on: December 22, 2011, 08:58:21 AM »
I think the NFC Championship Game gave Angelo the false hope that Hanie was actually good, when in reality, he only had one good series.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #463 on: December 22, 2011, 09:07:32 AM »
I think the NFC Championship Game gave Angelo the false hope that Hanie was actually good, when in reality, he only had one good series.

When he should have been thinking, "If we had a decent back-up QB, we would have gone to the Super Bowl last season."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #464 on: December 22, 2011, 09:42:12 AM »

in regards to Hanie... there must be a reason that Martz believed Todd Collins to be better than Hanie, having made Hanie #3 last season. Again this preseason, Hanie was demoted and there was no #2 QB for a while before Martz believed Hanie had "deserved" it before the regular season started. Martz may not be the best OCoord in the league, but you've gotta think he knows how to evaluate talent. I believe that Angelo/Lovie believed in Hanie (God knows why...), while Martz had no faith in him. I think the 4 games Hanie started proves why Martz didn't trust him.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #465 on: December 22, 2011, 11:18:55 AM »
It ticks me off that Enderlee isn't starting. If he sucks, fine, who cares. The point is, we don't know, we have no idea. Why waste a draft pick if you're not going to play him? This is the NFL, he's not red shirting. Bears aren't going to the playoffs, so throw him out there. What they're protecting him from, I don't know. If he's worse than Hanie, who cares. Hanie sucks, we've seen enough of a sample size to come to that conclussion. Drives me nuts.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #466 on: December 22, 2011, 12:14:11 PM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/36243/counterintuitive-struggles-for-caleb-hanie

interesting stats from hanie. he's good under pressure, awful in the opposite situation

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #467 on: December 22, 2011, 12:20:14 PM »
When he should have been thinking, "If we had a decent back-up QB, we would have gone to the Super Bowl last season."

How do you come to that conclusion?  The Packers were up 14-0 at halftime with Cutler in there.  Unless you believe that a decent backup quarterback is significantly better than Jay Cutler, I don't think coming to the conclusion that if the Bears had one they would've been in the Super Bowl.  Heine played as well as a backup possibly could have in an NFC Championship game.  Do you think the Bears would have went to the Super Bowl if Jay Cutler had not been hurt?  If the answer is yes, then why were the Bears down 14-0 at the half with Cutler playing?

I get it, my green and gold sunglasses are blinding me from reality.  I just honestly cannot see the logic that with Cutler in the game the Bears were clearly not on the path to win that game, so the 2nd half would have been drastically different or that some other backup quarterback would have made the Bears more than +14 to win the game in the 2nd half.  What backup quarterback in the NFL would have done that?  I can't think of any.  Matt Flynn is possibly the best backup quarterback in the NFL right now, and I will tell you that he would not have brought the Bears back from down 14 points in the NFC Championship game with the receiving targets the Bears had.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 12:23:35 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #468 on: December 22, 2011, 12:24:50 PM »
i think Maybe he is referring to the 1 or 2 wasted possessions the Bears had with Collins in the game.

<edit for awful mobile post punctuation/spelling>
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 03:31:22 PM by MU B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #469 on: December 22, 2011, 12:26:13 PM »
i think Maybe he i. Referring t. the 1 or 2 wasted possessions the Bears had with Collins in the game.

That is a fair point.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #470 on: December 22, 2011, 12:36:25 PM »
How do you come to that conclusion?  The Packers were up 14-0 at halftime with Cutler in there.  Unless you believe that a decent backup quarterback is significantly better than Jay Cutler, I don't think coming to the conclusion that if the Bears had one they would've been in the Super Bowl.  Heine played as well as a backup possibly could have in an NFC Championship game.  Do you think the Bears would have went to the Super Bowl if Jay Cutler had not been hurt?  If the answer is yes, then why were the Bears down 14-0 at the half with Cutler playing?

I get it, my green and gold sunglasses are blinding me from reality.  I just honestly cannot see the logic that with Cutler in the game the Bears were clearly not on the path to win that game, so the 2nd half would have been drastically different or that some other backup quarterback would have made the Bears more than +14 to win the game in the 2nd half.  What backup quarterback in the NFL would have done that?  I can't think of any.  Matt Flynn is possibly the best backup quarterback in the NFL right now, and I will tell you that he would not have brought the Bears back from down 14 points in the NFC Championship game with the receiving targets the Bears had.

MU B2002 hit the nail on the head. The Bears wasted possessions with Collins in the game (including one where they took over near midfield after Urlacher's INT) and Hanie missed a wide-open Forte on Raji's pick six. Don't forget that the Hanie-led Bears outscored the Packers 14-7 in the 2nd half. If the Bears kick a FG after the Urlacher pick and the back-up QB doesn't throw the ball to Raji, Bears 17-14. Even with those plays, the Bears were getting close to the red zone when Hanie threw another pick. I realize that there are if's in there and that the game wouldn't have played out exactly the same way, etc, etc but to act like it's inconceivable for the Bears to have come back is just ignorant.

Oh and Matt Flynn? Seriously?

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #471 on: December 22, 2011, 12:56:14 PM »

Oh and Matt Flynn? Seriously?

Bleacher report thinks he's top five in the back up category:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/968422-5-best-backup-quarterbacks-in-the-nfl/page/6

Ludum habemus.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #472 on: December 22, 2011, 01:01:52 PM »
Bleacher Report????  Cmon....

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #473 on: December 22, 2011, 01:07:32 PM »
Bleacher Report????  Cmon....

It was also on Bleacher Report where someone wrote that the Cubs could trade Dempster and Colvin for Felix Hernandez.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #474 on: December 22, 2011, 01:08:23 PM »
The only reason for hope in that NFC title game for the Bears was the awful second half from Rodgers and the Green Bay offense. No team plays better against Rodgers than the Bears.

Clearly Cutler wasn't great by any stretch in the first half (and injured) and Rodgers was on fire. Who knows if Cutler would have done anything (if healthy) in the second half. The only reason Hanie kept the Bears in the game was because of how poor Rodgers was.