[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2011-12 NFC North Division  (Read 69343 times)

jmayer1

• All American
Re: 2011-12 NFC North Division
« Reply #375 on: December 05, 2011, 09:23:44 AM »
I meant it as more of a slight to the Vikings than anything. They fell hard in a short amount of time.

I know, I was just having some fun.

Definitely thought that Jennings call was going to be overturned. I didn't think there was a point in time when the ball was fully secured and wasn't moving. If it would have been ruled incomplete on the field, I highly doubt it would have been reversed. Oh well, as a Packers fan I'll take it.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #376 on: December 05, 2011, 09:25:27 AM »
How was I whining?  I made 1 comment about what I believe i saw in a replay.  Sorry my use of "1/2 step" was insulting to your superior football mind. 

Don't ever question MUMac's knowledge of the NFL Rule Book! Right or wrong, he will tell you just how right he is!

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #377 on: December 05, 2011, 09:35:52 AM »
Don't ever question MUMac's knowledge of the NFL Rule Book! Right or wrong, he will tell you just how right he is!

No, it will demonstrate how WRONG you are.  A big difference.  Arguing with fact and knowledge is a dangerous thing to you, I guess.  You kept on and on without any knowledge or fact, and apparently your poor feelings are hurt.  Heck, I even showed you where it was in the rules.  Yet, you were either to obstenant or dense to understand.  I apologize for using fact and knowledge against you to make you look like a fool.  

I, though, suppose you know what a 1/2 step is in football, when making a catch, right?  That would be something you could relate to and argue ...   :o
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 09:38:50 AM by MUMac »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #378 on: December 05, 2011, 09:44:43 AM »
No, it will demonstrate how WRONG you are.  A big difference.  Arguing with fact and knowledge is a dangerous thing to you, I guess.  You kept on and on without any knowledge or fact, and apparently your poor feelings are hurt.  Heck, I even showed you where it was in the rules.  Yet, you were either to obstenant or dense to understand.  I apologize for using fact and knowledge against you to make you look like a fool.  

I, though, suppose you know what a 1/2 step is in football, when making a catch, right?  That would be something you could relate to and argue ...   :o

Lighten up, Mac. I'm just giving you a hard time. It's OK for you to admit being wrong every once in a while. No one will judge you.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #379 on: December 05, 2011, 09:48:28 AM »

Obviously this really bugs you, I would consider a 1/2 step when 1 of the foot is in the air completing the rest of his stride.  I don't consider it a full step as one of the feet is already in the air.

edit - adds no value, so redacted
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 10:17:29 AM by MU B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #380 on: December 05, 2011, 10:09:25 AM »
I know, I was just having some fun.

Definitely thought that Jennings call was going to be overturned. I didn't think there was a point in time when the ball was fully secured and wasn't moving. If it would have been ruled incomplete on the field, I highly doubt it would have been reversed. Oh well, as a Packers fan I'll take it.

Exactly... I think most people miss the fact that the video evidence must be indisputable; IMO in at least two-thirds of challenges where the call stands, had the opposite call been made, it too would have withstood a challenge.

Even in HD with super-slow-mo, it's difficult to tell with absolute certainty if someone has "control" of the football given that the ball cannot remain motionless when a receiver's body, arms, hands, etc. are all in variable motion (sometimes in different directions).

In other words, even if the referee was 95% confident that Jennings didn't have control, that's not enough to overturn the call on the field.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #381 on: December 05, 2011, 10:39:42 AM »

Even in HD with super-slow-mo, it's difficult to tell with absolute certainty if someone has "control" of the football given that the ball cannot remain motionless when a receiver's body, arms, hands, etc. are all in variable motion (sometimes in different directions).

I think is key and why the NFL rules are so stupid because they change the definitions of concepts based on location on the field.  The ball doesn't have to be perfectly still to be under control nor does it have to be in contact with the palms.  Jennings regripped during the catch but he never "lost control" as he was determining what the ball did.  The rules suck because if he had been going to the ground that would definitely not been a catch.

Even if you think it wasn't a catch, lets call it even because the refs didn't see I think Jones being tackled at the 2 on that play.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #382 on: December 11, 2011, 03:22:21 PM »
FWIW, I was screaming at the Lions for the obvious facemask on the last play and then was stunned when there was no flag.   I just kept waiting.....and waiting.....    The ball was out before the facemask, does that make a difference on the call?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #383 on: December 11, 2011, 06:30:05 PM »
They have 3 winable games coming up. There is absolutely no way they lose to Tebow, unless Hanie throws pick 6's. The Bears have way too much speed on defense and are too gap disciplined for that offense to work against the Bears. I actually think that Denver game might be the easiest of their next 3.

oooooohhhh, BURN!

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #384 on: December 11, 2011, 06:30:34 PM »
Tebowed.  Again
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #385 on: December 11, 2011, 07:35:30 PM »

oooooohhhh, BURN!

To be fair, that prediction was made prior to the realization that Caleb Hanie is not an NFL QB.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #386 on: December 11, 2011, 07:52:51 PM »
To be fair, that prediction was made prior to the realization that Caleb Hanie is not an NFL QB.

I doubt that.  The prediction was made based on the Bears defense, not Hanie.  I agreed completely with the prediction, and would co-sign again.  

Signed, a Packers fan that respects the Bears.
Ludum habemus.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #387 on: December 11, 2011, 08:29:02 PM »

oooooohhhh, BURN!

Not sure how I was burned on what I said, I was actually dead on the money. Did you watch the game? Bears defense did exactly what I predicted would happen. Instead of Hanie throwing pick 6's, Barber gift wrapped the game back to Denver.

If anything, I was validated in what I called on how the Bears D would play this game.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #388 on: December 11, 2011, 08:37:02 PM »
I doubt that.  The prediction was made based on the Bears defense, not Hanie.  I agreed completely with the prediction, and would co-sign again.  

I guess I interpreted it a different way. The Bears' D held Denver to 10 points in 60 minutes (same vs. KC last week). That would be good enough to get a W 95% of the time with an average QB. Considering Hanie does not appear to be average, the Bears' D would basically need to shut down the opposition and put points on the board. Not to mention that if Barber stays in bounds, the game ends and Tebow doesn't even get a shot to tie it.

That said, give credit to Denver and Tebow, they did what they needed to do.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #389 on: December 11, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »

I'm only having some fun at the expense of a Bear fan (I'm sure not the only one) who said no way no how can The Broncos beat the Bears.  I believe I called it typical Bear fan bluster.  I am a Packer fan, and don't carry an unusual amount of Bear animus.  I do enjoy seeing unusually confident Bear fans suffer.  They are the same ones who abandon the Bears after a 7-9 year.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #390 on: December 11, 2011, 08:39:31 PM »
I said there was no way Tebow could beat the Bears, not the Broncos, but Tebow. Tebow didn't beat the Bears, Marion Barber beat the Bears.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #391 on: December 11, 2011, 08:41:57 PM »
Not sure how I was burned on what I said, I was actually dead on the money. Did you watch the game? Bears defense did exactly what I predicted would happen. Instead of Hanie throwing pick 6's, Barber gift wrapped the game back to Denver.

If anything, I was validated in what I called on how the Bears D would play this game.
The Bear defense did as you predicted.  The Bears have a good defense and they ususally do.  Not a tough call. Broncos Win.  Broncos Win.  Broncos Win.  That is all that counts.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #392 on: December 11, 2011, 08:56:38 PM »
Hearing through a friend that Jennings tore his MCL, will be done for regular season at minimum.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #393 on: December 11, 2011, 09:12:47 PM »
Hearing through a friend that Jennings tore his MCL, will be done for regular season at minimum.

So they score 30 instead of 35 a game...still gonna dominate the next 3 weeks and only need 1 out of 3 to clinch home field..need him back for the playoffs but he has a month to heal.

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #394 on: December 11, 2011, 09:18:47 PM »
A month to heal a torn MCL (if that s what it really is)? More like 6-8 weeks. I'd say at this point, he's a long shot to get back on the field this year. Time for Cobb and the TE's to step up a bit more.

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #395 on: December 11, 2011, 09:25:20 PM »
And James Jones....   :-\

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #396 on: December 11, 2011, 10:18:59 PM »
a serious question for packer fans:

Why do people buy "stock" in the Packers?

I only ask after reading this email in Bill Simmons' NFL picks column this week:

"On Tuesday Packers began offering stock to the public. Stock shares are available for purchase on the Packers web page. The 'stock' certificates are assigned to owners by name. Shares cannot appreciate and they pay no dividend. Shares can't be transferred. There is no exchange or marketplace, and you can only will them to family members. Basically, for $250 you get a piece of paper saying you own part of the team. Shareholders have no ability to buy tickets, no seat licenses, no special benefits, just the certificate that announces you were gullible enough to send the team money for nothing. You do get invited to an annual shareholder meeting, but the shareholders have no decision making ability regarding the future of the team or stadium. It's kind of like a big Facebook account, except Facebook is free. Now get ready for this — they sold $400,000 worth of 'stock' certificates in the first 11 minutes that they were available!"

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/11989/the-sports-guys-week-14-picks

muhs03

• Starter
« Reply #397 on: December 11, 2011, 10:33:20 PM »

I only ask after reading this email in Bill Simmons' NFL picks column this week:

"On Tuesday Packers began offering stock to the public. Stock shares are available for purchase on the Packers web page. The 'stock' certificates are assigned to owners by name. Shares cannot appreciate and they pay no dividend. Shares can't be transferred. There is no exchange or marketplace, and you can only will them to family members. Basically, for $250 you get a piece of paper saying you own part of the team. Shareholders have no ability to buy tickets, no seat licenses, no special benefits, just the certificate that announces you were gullible enough to send the team money for nothing. You do get invited to an annual shareholder meeting, but the shareholders have no decision making ability regarding the future of the team or stadium. It's kind of like a big Facebook account, except Facebook is free. Now get ready for this — they sold $400,000 worth of 'stock' certificates in the first 11 minutes that they were available!"

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/11989/the-sports-guys-week-14-picks

No idea, really. I guess grandfathers buy them for their grandchildren to make damn sure they grow up as Packer fans. Of the people I know that own a share, they frame it, throw it on their garage wall and use it as a talking point will drinking a beer with the neighbor. In a way, the Packers are cashing in on fan loyalty while testing the market value of it. Besides, you cant frame your pride and mount it on the wall....so thats where the certificate comes in handy.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #398 on: December 11, 2011, 10:50:28 PM »

If it was the Bears (or your team of choice), wouldn't you consider this if you had the cash laying around?  Or, at least you could understand it? 

Let's look at it in a slight different, but somewhat analogous light.  Let's say for $250 you could get a football program at Marquette (or it would ensure the continued competitiveness of it).  Frankly, I contend that any donations to collegiate athletic programs are pretty similar to what Packers fans are doing by buying stock.  It helps to ensure the team stays in GB, and can stay competitive.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #399 on: December 11, 2011, 11:00:27 PM »
If it was the Bears (or your team of choice), wouldn't you consider this if you had the cash laying around?  Or, at least you could understand it?  

To be honest, no. If I'm supporting my team monetarily, I want something from it, ie. jersey, hat, etc.  Why should someone else profit of my money and I get nothing in return?

Of course, I'm also one of those who believe public money should never be used to build a sports stadium.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 11:19:10 PM by socrplar125 »