[Today at 12:49:34 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MU82
[Today at 12:22:29 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2011-12 NFC North Division  (Read 69359 times)

jmayer1

• All American
Re: 2011-12 NFC North Division
« Reply #325 on: November 16, 2011, 05:12:52 PM »
I'm not sure how what I said got taken out of context, but welcome to an internet message board I suppose.

Fact is, and you can ask any NFL scout, Cutler has premier arm strength (Stafford too). Rodgers has above average arm strength.

By no means is it a knock on Rodgers, he's both the best QB in the NFL and has better accuracy than any QB period.

Why that makes Packer fans mad, I have no idea. No one is saying Cutler is better than Rodgers, give me a break. If you can't accept that Rodgers arm strength is above average and less than Cutler's, then you should probably find something else to worry about. Arm strength is a very important part of being a QB, but accuracy even more so.

If you can stop confusing accuracy with arm strength, I think some people would have better thoughts here.
I think because you said premeir and not strength I misconstrued what you were trying to say, my bad. In terms of pure arm stength (distance, velocity) Cutler and Stafford may have betters arms than Rodgers, I don't know and I don't have a chance to talk to scouts. However, as long as a qb has the ability to make all the throws needed in the NFL (and Rodgers certainly does), I don't think it really matters much. Some of the greatest qb's in history didn't always have the strongest arms in the league and some qb's with great arm strength were awful. Cutler does appear to have a very strong arm, but he's only an average NFL starting qb.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #326 on: November 16, 2011, 05:53:28 PM »
I think because you said premeir and not strength I misconstrued what you were trying to say, my bad. In terms of pure arm stength (distance, velocity) Cutler and Stafford may have betters arms than Rodgers, I don't know and I don't have a chance to talk to scouts. However, as long as a qb has the ability to make all the throws needed in the NFL (and Rodgers certainly does), I don't think it really matters much. Some of the greatest qb's in history didn't always have the strongest arms in the league and some qb's with great arm strength were awful. Cutler does appear to have a very strong arm, but he's only an average NFL starting qb.

Cutler is definitely an above average quarterback, IMO.  He's finally proving that this year.  It gets said a lot, but he truly does have nothing to work with.  I seriously doubt that any pass catchers on the Bears except for Forte would even crack the Packer's rotation. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #327 on: November 24, 2011, 03:11:14 PM »
so, how long until Suh gets suspended? does goodell meet with him again and tell us all what an upstanding gentleman he is? this is ridiculous. Suh and the lions are a dirty team and not shy about their style of play

tower912

• All American
« Reply #328 on: November 24, 2011, 03:46:56 PM »
Suh deserves whatever he gets.   VandenBosch's hit on Rogers in the first half was clean and a reputation call.   No other defense gets that call.    Same with the chop block call.   Morris cut the guy before the guard engaged.   But, regardless, Detroit is who I thought they were.   Not ready for prime time, can't handle the pressure.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #329 on: November 24, 2011, 05:43:18 PM »
Suh deserves whatever he gets.   VandenBosch's hit on Rogers in the first half was clean and a reputation call.   No other defense gets that call.    Same with the chop block call.   Morris cut the guy before the guard engaged.   But, regardless, Detroit is who I thought they were.   Not ready for prime time, can't handle the pressure.

If you look at the angle the official had on VandenBosch's hit, it was from behind.  Looking from his angle, Rodgers head snaps back.  To him, it appeared to be a hit to the head.  I know they tell the officials to protect the QB, but you have to witness the hit to call it.  He did not witness it, but assumed it.  Wrong assumption.

The chop block was a bad call as well.  He actually cuts him right before the lineman engages, not after.  This crew was a flag happy crew.  Hurt the flow of the game for awhile.

As for Suh, his postgame interview will likely hurt him more than help him with the Commish.  That was really a pathetic excuse.  I lost any respect I had for him after listening to him.  I suspect his suspension will be significant.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 05:47:18 PM by MUMac »

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #330 on: November 24, 2011, 06:14:25 PM »

The chop block was a bad call as well.  He actually cuts him right before the lineman engages, not after.  This crew was a flag happy crew.  Hurt the flow of the game for awhile.

Found this in an ESPN article (not shockingly discussing a play by the Lions in a previous game):
First, let's get to the general definition of a chop block as stated in the NFL rule book: "A chop block is a foul by the offense in which one offense player (designated as A1 for purposes of this rule) blocks a defensive player in the area of the thigh or lower while another offensive player (A2) occupies that same defensive player."

Indeed, the widely-held understanding of a chop block is one offensive lineman cut-blocking a defensive lineman while another blocks him above the waist. It's a dangerous approach that can lead to the defensive lineman getting twisted unnaturally and injured.

On both occasions Sunday, Peterman (A1) cut-blocked Jets defensive lineman Shaun Ellis while a second Lions offensive lineman (A2) -- right tackle Gosder Cherilus on the first and center Dominic Raiola on the second -- stood nearby but did not engage.

Unfortunately for the Lions, that play falls under a secondary section of the chop block rule known as the "lure." (Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press pointed out the explanation earlier this week.) Here is how that scenario is worded: "On a forward pass play, A1 chops a defensive player while A2 confronts the defensive player in a pass-blocking posture but is not physically engaged with the defensive player (a 'lure')."

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #331 on: November 25, 2011, 08:08:33 AM »
Thanks for the clarification.

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #332 on: November 26, 2011, 07:28:23 AM »
A fine mess you've gotten yourself into, Erik Walden. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #333 on: November 27, 2011, 02:36:42 PM »
http://www.freep.com/article/20111127/SPORTS01/111127012/Report-Suh-could-slapped-minimum-two-game-suspension

IMO, he should be gone for the rest of the season.    This is a gift.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #334 on: November 27, 2011, 05:11:21 PM »
the Bears are going to struggle without Cutler. though, in Hanie's defense, Martz's playcalling isn't exactly putting him in a great position to succeed.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #335 on: November 27, 2011, 07:06:30 PM »
2nd half was a lot better for Hanie.  I think they still win at home vs KC, home vs SEA, @min, and @ Denver(I hope), but I have picked against Tebow every week and that hasn't gone so well.

edit to include games I forgot.

11 wins surely gets them in.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 10:17:30 AM by MU B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #336 on: November 27, 2011, 07:09:29 PM »
2nd half was a lot better for Hanie.  I think they still win at home vs KC & @ Denver(I hope), but I have picked against Tebow every week and that hasn't gone so well.

i'm not sure 9 wins gets them in the playoffs

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #337 on: November 27, 2011, 07:17:41 PM »
edit above.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 10:17:58 AM by MU B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #338 on: November 27, 2011, 08:24:04 PM »
2nd half was a lot better for Hanie.  I think they still win at home vs KC & @ Denver(I hope), but I have picked against Tebow every week and that hasn't gone so well.

I think they'll go 3-2 down the stretch, losing to Denver and GB, but that should be enough to get them in the playoffs. Hanie was awful in the 1st half. If the Bears want to be successful they need to put him in better situations and just require him to be a game manager and not make the awful decisions that lead to turnovers. Just let the run game, short throws, and the other 2 phases win them the game; much like they were doing with Cutler.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #339 on: November 27, 2011, 09:25:26 PM »
That pick right before half was just a killer and the difference (6 point swing) in the game.

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #340 on: November 27, 2011, 09:33:35 PM »
That pick right before half was just a killer and the difference (6 point swing) in the game.

Stupid play call there, run the ball, if you don't make it take the 3 and go into the half winning.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #341 on: November 27, 2011, 10:06:14 PM »
Despite the lose, good news is it didn't hurt the Bears in the playoff hunt. Their 6-3 conference record is clutch. They own tiebreakers right now with Atlanta, Detroit, NY Giants. They have 3 winable games coming up. There is absolutely no way they lose to Tebow, unless Hanie throws pick 6's. The Bears have way too much speed on defense and are too gap disciplined for that offense to work against the Bears. I actually think that Denver game might be the easiest of their next 3.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #342 on: November 28, 2011, 10:02:35 AM »
There is absolutely no way they lose to Tebow

I'll bet a lot of fans have said this.  Typical Bear fan bluster.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #343 on: November 28, 2011, 10:16:10 AM »
I'll bet a lot of fans have said this.  Typical Bear fan bluster.

Actually he backed it up some supporting evidence.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #344 on: November 28, 2011, 11:18:47 AM »
MUDish is nowhere near a koo-aid drinking, blustery Bears fan.

I think the Giants are going to be out.  They will lose to the Saints tonight, and that will put them at 6-5.  The Cowboys will win the NFC East.  Also the Saints will win the South.

So that means you have two wildcard spots for the Lions, Bears and Falcons.  Bears own the tiebreaker with the Falcons, but Falcons have a relatively easy end (at Houston, at Carolina, Jax, at NO and TB).  I think they go 4-1.

Bears (KC, @Broncos, Seattle, @GB, @MN) could match that...can't see them doing worse than 3-2.

Lions (@NO, MN, @Oak, SD, @GB) at best will go 3-2.  And the two losses would likely be to NO and GB, which will mean their conference record will be worse than the Bears.

So my guess is:

1. GB
2. SF
3. NO
4. Dallas
5. Atlanta
6. Chicago

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #345 on: November 28, 2011, 11:45:36 AM »
MUDish is nowhere near a koo-aid drinking, blustery Bears fan.

I think the Giants are going to be out.  They will lose to the Saints tonight, and that will put them at 6-5.  The Cowboys will win the NFC East.  Also the Saints will win the South.

So that means you have two wildcard spots for the Lions, Bears and Falcons.  Bears own the tiebreaker with the Falcons, but Falcons have a relatively easy end (at Houston, at Carolina, Jax, at NO and TB).  I think they go 4-1.

Bears (KC, @Broncos, Seattle, @GB, @MN) could match that...can't see them doing worse than 3-2.

Lions (@NO, MN, @Oak, SD, @GB) at best will go 3-2.  And the two losses would likely be to NO and GB, which will mean their conference record will be worse than the Bears.

So my guess is:

1. GB
2. SF
3. NO
4. Dallas
5. Atlanta
6. Chicago

Agree on pretty much all points.

NYG needs to go 4-2 to have a shot. Their last 6 games are @NO, GB, @Dal, Was, @NYJ, Dal. If they go 4-2 with that schedule, they will definitely have earned their playoff spot.

Bears at Green Bay in the Divisional Playoffs? I like it!  :)

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #346 on: November 29, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
I don't see the bears beating NO in the wild card
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #347 on: November 29, 2011, 02:19:29 PM »

If they could sneak up into the #5 given the tiebreaker over Atlanta, they could absolutely beat Dallas.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #348 on: November 29, 2011, 02:49:22 PM »

I would like to see the Bears play NO.  I think that would be a good game.  NO is not invincible, but they have a damn impressive offense.  The Bears D against that O would make for an entertaining game.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #349 on: November 29, 2011, 03:28:58 PM »
Based on the 7-9 Seahawks hosting a playoff game last season, the NFL didn't change the way teams are seeded this season, did they? As in, division winners may not necessarily be #1-4.

I remember there was some talk of that, but it may have just been media speculation/fiction-writing.

EDIT: Nevermind. Seeding format has not changed.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 04:02:22 PM by MerrittsMustache »

feedback