'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: End of Regulation  (Read 10442 times)

esotericmindguy

• All American
End of Regulation
« on: January 24, 2015, 04:57:17 PM »
Can anyone confirm whether it was called a 2 or 3? Announcers said it was called a 2 but my friend who was there saw the ref with two arms up.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: End of Regulation
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 04:59:28 PM »
One ref said 3, the closest ref said 2.  Closest ref's judgement won out, and the video needed to disprove it was a 2, instead of the other way around.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 05:13:17 PM »
Yes, one ref signaled "deuce" when Carlino rose up.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 05:15:31 PM »
Yup, the closest ref said two. He was behind the shooter though, so he was guessing on his left foot placement.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 05:19:39 PM »
I'm going to continue to bitch about the lack of camera angles on that.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 05:20:25 PM »
Wojo in the postgame said the official ruled it a 2 and there was no evidence to overturn it. I saw one ref immediately signal three, so I'm not really sure how that worked, but considering how the officiating went, it didn't surprise me that they didn't have a clue.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 05:23:47 PM »
Thanks. Had they called it a 3 it would have stuck. How he overrules anyone is beyond me, guy had no angle. Refs were flat out awful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 05:27:06 PM »
Thanks. Had they called it a 3 it would have stuck. How he overrules anyone is beyond me, guy had no angle. Refs were flat out awful.

I hate looking at the refs too much, but today was brutal, especially in our own gym. There were at least 4 blatant missed travels. How Josh Smith commits one foul in the second half and plays a minute of overtime, much less the entire game is beyond me. Lowered his shoulder into Luke, threw Carlino around, they missed when he double bunny-hopped in the lane...just awful.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 05:41:52 PM »
I hate looking at the refs too much, but today was brutal, especially in our own gym. There were at least 4 blatant missed travels. How Josh Smith commits one foul in the second half and plays a minute of overtime, much less the entire game is beyond me. Lowered his shoulder into Luke, threw Carlino around, they missed when he double bunny-hopped in the lane...just awful.

He did massively outplay Fischer though. =/

WarriorPA

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 05:48:52 PM »
I'm also not one to look to the refs, especially on individual plays, they usually even out. But a day like today you can just feel that we were constantly on the wrong side of the calls.

As for the Carlino three, poor camera angle, but I'm 99% sure that was good. I also want to point out that they originally called Duane's three a two when he was about a foot behind the line. Obviously the ref was at a terrible angle to make that call, it wasn't even close.

AirPunches

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 06:06:57 PM »
It was increbibly close. Just saw the replay. I think his toe was on the line. Incredible shot though. He's a clutch player.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 06:08:02 PM »

Fischer is what he is and what was said here before the season.  A good player, but this year will be up and down.  The ASU game was a bit of fool's gold.  For his career, he is going to be solid, but he's showing essentially what was expected...about 10ppg, 5rpg.  Will due better when Hank can pull out some of the bigs and he has a chance to clean up some garbage.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 06:15:19 PM »
I'm also not one to look to the refs, especially on individual plays, they usually even out. But a day like today you can just feel that we were constantly on the wrong side of the calls.

As for the Carlino three, poor camera angle, but I'm 99% sure that was good. I also want to point out that they originally called Duane's three a two when he was about a foot behind the line. Obviously the ref was at a terrible angle to make that call, it wasn't even close.

From the replays on FoxSports1, it looked like a two to me.  On the Duane Wilson 3, Duane came down with one foot about a foot and a half inside the line.  I'm thinking that the ref must have missed Duane's foot placement when he left his feet (the part that determines whether its a three) and must have guessed based on his landing.  Fortunately, the refs got that corrected as Duane was quite a bit behind the line.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 06:37:22 PM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 06:19:00 PM »

No doubt, though Fischer really needs to add weight. Either way, he should not have been available for that entire game.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 06:44:09 PM »
Smith got away with a lot. In one play he lowered and put his shoulder into Luke's chest.  Yeah, MU has to play better, but Smith probably had enough folks to foul out twice. We were definitely on the wrong side if the whistle, with all he missed travels too. Ugh

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 06:53:02 PM »
It was increbibly close. Just saw the replay. I think his toe was on the line. Incredible shot though. He's a clutch player.

Yup! we lost that game by less than inch.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 07:02:18 PM »
Fischer is what he is and what was said here before the season.  A good player, but this year will be up and down.  The ASU game was a bit of fool's gold.  For his career, he is going to be solid, but he's showing essentially what was expected...about 10ppg, 5rpg.  Will due better when Hank can pull out some of the bigs and he has a chance to clean up some garbage.
I think he's much better than that. He's got a very nice skill set to work with. A game like today is a good learning experience for him as far as getting pushed around like he did. I will put money he will have a big game against Seton Hall.

With his ability, he could very well be an NBA draft pick in a couple years IMO.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 07:19:40 PM »
If the foot is on the line it's a 2.  Is that the rule?  Looked like it was on the line per the number of replays shown.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 08:23:55 PM »
Quick rules question.  After the Carlino shot, he stole the inbounds pass and threw up the wild shot and the same ref ruled that it was after the clock had expired.  Can they review a made shot if the ref rules it's too late or is it just whether the ref rules it's within time?

WarriorPA

• Walk-On
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 08:42:00 PM »
Apparently there wasn't the aerial view to show, but from the way Carlino took off, I believe hit foot was behind the line. With a view from behind/on the side like we got, you can't prove it as 'inconclusive', every time that view will look like he's on the line, but I think it was a three. The ref closest to the play was also the ref behind the play meaning he had the same  view as the cameras.

Water under the bridge. We played hard, the BC was loud and excited more than it's been all year, and we saw some promising performances for our future.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2015, 10:52:54 PM »
Aren't the refs supposed to raise their arms when the ball is released? I was wondering why the referee closest to Duane Wilson didn't immediately signal it was a 3 when Duane was eight inches behind the line when he shot?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 10:53:04 PM »
Quick rules question.  After the Carlino shot, he stole the inbounds pass and threw up the wild shot and the same ref ruled that it was after the clock had expired.  Can they review a made shot if the ref rules it's too late or is it just whether the ref rules it's within time?

By rule, every buzzer-beater at the end of a game is reviewed regardless of the call on the floor.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2015, 08:42:43 AM »
The "puppies" as Raftery says, weren't behind the line.  Tops of both shoes definitely appeared to be touching the line.  I thought it was the right call making it a two.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 08:44:04 AM »

What do you mean?  He's just an "incorrigible chucker"!

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 08:47:02 AM »
I think that with the angle they had on the replay even if his feet were behind the line, the height of the shoe would  not allow anyone to see any separation from the line. I think a shot from the side would look different, but it is what it is.