* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jay Bee
[May 16, 2024, 04:26:22 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What to do with Wojo?  (Read 11630 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: What to do with Wojo?
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2020, 07:23:35 PM »
Brother Marq:

You have to recognize the element of sunk cost. You have to look at the "here and now" and consider where we are and the direction we're heading, not where we have been. I agree with Brother Goose, in part, that we've got the core of a very good team. If we hold it together and recruit atop it, w3e will be dynamite.

Brother Goose is generally right about past talent and about the older members of our team. My view is the exception would be Koby McEwen, who I think he's great now that he is freed from the Markus-dominated offense. But we have to build and hope Oso and Fields are the real things.

I'll say it again: In these financially trying times, chasing our coach off would be the death-knell of college basketball at Marquette. If Marquette had to pay out his severance, the riot among faculty members would be earth-shattering. The university, already cheap because of the baby bust that's coming, would retreat into the same college basketball cheapness cocoon they did in the 1980s. The issue of basketball's role on campus will be debated (it already is to some degree and the old question of who is the highest paid employee of Marquette University has resurfaced) and some will call for the abolishment of it because it is inconsistent with a Jesuit Catholic mission.

Combine that with a spreading apathy and loss of revenue and the results will stink. Can you say M-i-d  M-a-j-o-r?????

Look, basketball is a big part of what has made Marquette what it is today. Whether pro or nojo, we're stuck for a few years. The potential liabilities of terminating a coach now, including loss of major players, is huge and something I don't want to go through. And, I'm certainly not throwing a coach overboard before the New Year in the current season.

Brother dgies,

If we are indeed hanging by a thread and the loss of an average (at best) coach relegates us to mid major status indefinitely then Buzz was dead right (prescient, even) to get out when he did.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2020, 09:24:52 PM »
If we make the tournament this season he should be given an extension. If we make the tourney this season,  we will be earning high seeds for the next few years as DJ, Justin,  and Garcia grow.
And if he doesn't make the tourney? Same answer, give him an extension
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2020, 09:26:27 PM »
He isn't going to be fired this year, barring scandal.    He is what the BOT wants, he earned bonus points in how he got in front of supporting his players during the BLM, he has managed the COVID stuff as an adult, he has represented the university well, he has recruited well.     

But eventually, the results of all of his good work needs to show up on the floor.   
And when does eventually happen?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Warrior-Eagle

• Walk-On
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2020, 09:33:59 PM »
And when does eventually happen?

Just send your $6 million gift to the University and it may start the wheels moving or it may be a down payment for a new basketball facility.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2020, 09:49:27 PM »
If we make the tournament this season he should be given an extension. If we make the tourney this season,  we will be earning high seeds for the next few years as DJ, Justin,  and Garcia grow.

Will not be back. Screen shot this one folks

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2020, 10:04:01 PM »

You're definitely not the first person who's said this.  I really like Carton's game, but even if he has a studly rest of his season, he *might* be a second round pick this summer.  Why is there so much smoke about him turning pro?  Guy needs another year of development if he wants to be a surefire draft pick.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2020, 10:07:21 PM »
You're definitely not the first person who's said this.  I really like Carton's game, but even if he has a studly rest of his season, he *might* be a second round pick this summer.  Why is there so much smoke about him turning pro?  Guy needs another year of development if he wants to be a surefire draft pick.

I can’t believe he’d get picked.  He has a long way to go in every area. Plus he’s small.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2020, 10:48:03 PM »
Take this for what it’s worth, and I’m sure I’ll eat s**t on this comment.

Lovell wants to ride his horse for better or worse, but not everyone feels the same.

Curious if anyone else has heard similar remarks?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2020, 11:19:55 PM »
Brother dgies,

If we are indeed hanging by a thread and the loss of an average (at best) coach relegates us to mid major status indefinitely then Buzz was dead right (prescient, even) to get out when he did.

Brother Lenny:

Sadly, maybe.

I'm trying to look at things strategically. It isn't so much the loss of a coach, but the cost of getting rid of him at a time when revenue is extremely precious and Marquette has a number of conflicting priorities. Quite frankly, if we ever needed basketball to be good with what it has, now is the time for it to do so.

I've said many times that without basketball, God only knows where Marquette would be. Many of the campus improvements dating to the late 1970s were made with McGuire Money -- the funds generated by a strong visibility of a great basketball program. We're a better university when the team is really good. But I really am not sure the current administration sees basketball that way. I suspect they view it as more a headache, albeit a profitable headache.

Again, we have to give Coach Wojo the season to see how things develop. I'm not wedded to him until death do us part, but I want to see what he can do with the talent he has.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2020, 11:46:13 PM »
And if he doesn't make the tourney? Same answer, give him an extension

Actually if you've been paying attention I've said repeatedly that in a non-COVID year he should be fired if we make the NIT or worse. Unfortunately, it is a COVID year and I don't see the university making a change due to their current financial situation. I would expect that Wojo does get extended in that situation (to preserve recruiting) but the buyout gets renegotiated to a more manageable amount as others have suggested.

Fortunately, I don't expect we will need to have this conversation. I still think this team is making the tourney.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2020, 11:48:45 PM »

I heard that months ago. I hear that less now. Maybe still ends up being the case.

Take this for what it’s worth, and I’m sure I’ll eat s**t on this comment.

Lovell wants to ride his horse for better or worse, but not everyone feels the same.

Curious if anyone else has heard similar remarks?

First part, can't say I've heard. I think he's more patient than scoopers but its not unlimited. Second part, depends on who is included in everyone.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2020, 11:53:24 PM »
Brother Lenny:

Sadly, maybe.

I'm trying to look at things strategically. It isn't so much the loss of a coach, but the cost of getting rid of him at a time when revenue is extremely precious and Marquette has a number of conflicting priorities. Quite frankly, if we ever needed basketball to be good with what it has, now is the time for it to do so.

I've said many times that without basketball, God only knows where Marquette would be. Many of the campus improvements dating to the late 1970s were made with McGuire Money -- the funds generated by a strong visibility of a great basketball program. We're a better university when the team is really good. But I really am not sure the current administration sees basketball that way. I suspect they view it as more a headache, albeit a profitable headache.

Again, we have to give Coach Wojo the season to see how things develop. I'm not wedded to him until death do us part, but I want to see what he can do with the talent he has.

Fair enough, Brother dgies. Merry Christmas!

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2020, 12:58:29 AM »

Development doesn't happen at the college level. It's not 1987. Guys are consistently being picked up earlier and earlier to compete in the minor NBA league.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2020, 01:04:06 AM »
Development doesn't happen at the college level. It's not 1987. Guys are consistently being picked up earlier and earlier to compete in the minor NBA league.

For the sake of everyone who's calling this a "down year" and slurping up every last drop of what the next two years will bring if DJ, Dawson, and Lewis all stay at MU, I hope you're wrong.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2020, 01:06:54 AM »
For the sake of everyone who's calling this a "down year" and slurping up every last drop of what the next two years will bring if DJ, Dawson, and Lewis all stay at MU, I hope you're wrong.

Sorry not to confuse the argument of people get better the older they get with the "if someone wants to go to the NBA stay in college" argument

Mine is completely about the later. There are still a lot of people who believe (in my professional opinion wrongly) that staying in college some how makes you more appetizing to the NBA.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2020, 01:44:20 AM »
0% Chance DJ is back

15% Chance Dawson is back

35% Justin is back

People talking about Henry coming back.  Lol.  He was a lottery player when he arrived.  Kids want to leave.  That’s reality.  You gotta win now.  You gotta coach em up fast. 

This is the year.  Now.  Make some hay.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2020, 07:04:04 AM »
Covid is Woj's friend, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2020, 08:49:25 AM »
Fair enough, Brother dgies. Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you as well, Brother Lenny. I hope Santa was good to you!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2020, 10:22:41 AM »
0% Chance DJ is back

35% Justin is back

People talking about Henry coming back.  Lol.  He was a lottery player when he arrived.  Kids want to leave.  That’s reality.  You gotta win now.  You gotta coach em up fast. 

This is the year.  Now.  Make some hay.

Henry averaged 17 and 10, and had 18 double-doubles. Anyone who watched MU that year could see him just oozing with potential, and clearly the best player on our team.

Which of the three you mentioned is remotely close to that, or even trending in that direction? With them, we see clear talent and potential, but it is interspersed with periods where they disappear and are outshined by guys like Koby and Jamal. That virtually never happened with Henry.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2020, 10:30:10 AM »
Lewis isn't a pro yet. But if free transfers are allowed next year, I wouldn't be surprised if any of them leave for a better situation.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2020, 10:40:37 AM »
Covid is Woj's friend, hey?

I actually think your comment is true. MU will not show him the door after this season. The University has some significant financial issues and right now he is not at the top of the list.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2020, 10:52:07 AM »
As to Henry, my recall is that if he had stayed the the following year's draft did not set up well for him as there promised to be a slew of more talented prospects. He did better in a weak draft following his freshman year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2020, 11:03:26 AM »
Lewis isn't a pro yet. But if free transfers are allowed next year, I wouldn't be surprised if any of them leave for a better situation.

What is "better" than being a big-minute player on a potentially very good team? Starting over somewhere else with no guarantee of anything?

Why do folks think more transfers will leave than arrive if things are opened up? Did Wojo not just land what most basketball experts call one of the top-3 transfers available?

Aside from the Hausers, who were a special circumstance, what impact transfer has Wojo lost in  all his time here? One (Burton), who himself was a special circumstance if some are to be believed; or maybe two (Cheatham), if one is very generous about the term "impact." One could easily argue that Koby has been a better P6 player than Cheatham was ever going to be. Time will tell if DJ is better than Burton (though they are so different the comparison will be difficult bordering on impossible).

I am disappointed and frustrated that we aren't better under Wojo, but I don't think it helps anything to make exaggerations about him.

0% Chance DJ is back

35% Justin is back

Not sure how you arrive at your percentages, Lens. But you're offering opinions, which is what Scoop is for.

DJ -- Yes, it sure seemed the consensus during the recruiting process was that he was only going to commit to college for the 2020-21 season. The word was that if he didn't receive a waiver, he was just going to go pro. I have not seen any updates, and I certainly have not seen him or any of his "people" quoted as to what his plans are.

Garcia and/or Lewis -- I would be quite surprised if either decided to end his college career after this season, but like most of us, I've been surprised a few times over the years, most recently by Bailey. Could Garcia and/or Lewis transfer? As I said in my response to MUfan12, I see no reason either would be motivated to do that. Wojo certainly seems to value both of them; he plays them plenty, he likely will play them even more next season, and they aren't being recruited over.

Obviously, none of these guys is within a zillion miles of being ready for the NBA. However, for so many players, that's not the most important factor. Are they getting good advice? Do they have a realistic view of their talent level and/or readiness or are they overly confident? Do they like the college experience? Do they like the Marquette basketball experience? Are their family members and others in their circle of influence pushing them to turn pro (or to transfer or, for that matter, to stay)?

I mean, think about Vander. He simply didn't want to be in college any more, and he had confidence in his ability. So even though he knew he wouldn't be a first-round draft pick, and very well wouldn't be picked at all, and knew he would have been part of a top-10 team if he stayed ... despite all that, he said buh-bye. Could DJ or Dawson do the exact same? Maybe.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2020, 11:03:58 AM »

Henry averaged 17 and 10, and had 18 double-doubles. Anyone who watched MU that year could see him just oozing with potential, and clearly the best player on our team.

Which of the three you mentioned is remotely close to that, or even trending in that direction? With them, we see clear talent and potential, but it is interspersed with periods where they disappear and are outshined by guys like Koby and Jamal. That virtually never happened with Henry.

But these kids get into Team USA, All American games and certain AAU situations and they see friends go, so they go.

It’s mit should they go, it’s so they think they should go.  DJ & Dawson have trafficked in the world of early entry.  They’ve seen their name on draft boards.  Believe me, it’s 100% in the conversation.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2020, 11:05:41 AM »

Agree - if free transfers are allowed, it will be a revolving door at every program. Imagine the NBA if every player became an unrestricted free agent at the same time....

feedback