[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: KJR All Sports Seattle Station reports  (Read 3022 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
KJR All Sports Seattle Station reports
« on: April 03, 2008, 07:55:13 PM »
Tony Bennett has informed the President this evening that he will be staying at Washington State University.

WSU also announced an $8.5 million gift to the athletic department.  In addition, the AD has announced a substantial raise for Mr. Bennett.

bilsu

• All American
Re: KJR All Sports Seattle Station reports
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 07:57:30 PM »
That is okay with me, I had no interest in big 10 turtle ball.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 07:58:30 PM »
Tony Bennett has informed the President this evening that he will be staying at Washington State University.

WSU also announced an $8.5 million gift to the athletic department.  In addition, the AD has announced a substantial raise for Mr. Bennett.

Tomorrow Sean Miller will get his raise.

Pardner

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 08:04:24 PM »
hmm...Bennett, the clear cut consensus pick with everything MU wants in a coach is out.  Miller, TC with better coaching skills, is staying put (will always be looking for his next job).  

That leaves a few inexperienced mid-major HC's or lead assistants.  Buzz interviews with Cottingham today.  Ford rumored to LSU.  Buzz leaves for San Antonio for F4.  MU Board of Trustees meets tomorrow.  Players and recruits want Buzz.  Roziak writes up a summary piece on Buzz based on sources.  Former lead recruiters best MU HC's since Al.

All signs point to one person.  I like the choice for the situation, but I would give him a three year deal.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 12:23:03 AM »
If they hire Buzz after only 3 days, I'll be sorely disappointed.  They have got to at least try to get an established coach with a record of winning and recruiting.  So the top 2 are gone - they were absolute best case scenarios anyway.  There are many other options out there to explore instead of hastily handing the reigns to Buzz.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 12:49:22 AM »
Yeah these guys are staying put and getting raises because their admin knows they are looking or being sought out - our admin was in the dark intentionally.
Ugh

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 12:52:20 AM »
It didn't matter if our administration was in the dark or not when it came to TC leaving.   There was no way MU was gonna pony up $2.3m/per over an 8yr deal, nor should they.   I wanted him to stay here, but his results aren't worth that kind of cash. 

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 05:43:22 AM »
Where are all those posters who said WSU wouldn't pony up a raise if anyone came looking for their Head Coach?  MuDish? Navin?  Seriously, I know WSU isn't Florida but we've all seen this played out before, the only reason he didn't get this kind of attention from the school last year was because he wasn't getting this kind of attention from other schools.  When it comes to money, I know we have quite a bit but if a BCS school wants to keep their coach then money isn't the deciding factor because they'll be more than capable of matching anything a small jesuit school can throw at them...

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 07:40:59 AM »
Where are all those posters who said WSU wouldn't pony up a raise if anyone came looking for their Head Coach?  MuDish? Navin?  Seriously, I know WSU isn't Florida but we've all seen this played out before, the only reason he didn't get this kind of attention from the school last year was because he wasn't getting this kind of attention from other schools.  When it comes to money, I know we have quite a bit but if a BCS school wants to keep their coach then money isn't the deciding factor because they'll be more than capable of matching anything a small jesuit school can throw at them...

Who said they wouldn't pony up? I said they would not pay as much as MU could/would. I can assure you that if/when his new deal is announced, it will still be appreciably lower than what Crean was pulling down here. If MU didn't offer him that kind of money, then they are stupid (or they just didn't really want him, which is fine), the pay scale for an established coach has been set while Crean was here. I certainly hope they are not going to try to offer less to a guy with similar experience like a Bennett, Miller, etc. Guys like that are now going to expect an offer in the $1.5 range.

JetCityWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 01:46:53 PM »
Living in Washington state, it has more to do with Bennett's character than anything.  I do think at some point money talks to everyone, but Bennett got a little raise, enough apparently, and his character is to not want to leave yet.  Remember, he's actually fairly green when it comes to being a head coach, and there's literally no pressure on him at all at WSU - yet.  I just don't think he's ready to leave anyways, and now WSU gave him some more reasons to stay.

He would have been a good candidate though.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 01:48:45 PM »
He played in the NBA. He's not green.

Our administration is green.