[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaka Smart to Texas!  (Read 51451 times)

onepost

• All American
Re: Shaka Smart to Texas!
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2015, 11:11:55 AM »
I'm not sure Shaka would have brought MU the splash that you think.  He's a good coach that plays an entertaining style, so I would have been pleased from that point of view.

Oh, I only meant "splash" in terms of splash hire.  As opposed to going the assistant route, we would've landed one of the most successful head coaches on the market.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2015, 11:33:14 AM »
So since a year has passed and we were in the same Shaka circus at that time I just want to get people's pulse on where we are now.  Are you guys happy, both at the time and now, that we ended up with Wojo or do some people still wish Shaka had ended up at Marquette?  Do you think we would be in a better position now if Shaka was the head coach or where we are right now with Wojo?  Personally, while this past season was just depressing, I don't think we could be in a much better position with anyone else.

Wojo did the two most important things that needed to be done IMO: 1. completely change the culture of MUBB to something more similar to the Duke standard he knows, and 2. bring in "his type of player ASAP" while not meddling around with Buzz's recruits that weren't going to work here.  In those two regards, he's absolutely killed it.  While Shaka would have been great here and would have been a huge splash Marquette hasn't had in a looonnngggg time, I think Wojo brings plenty more stability and if/when the success starts coming.  There's only one job that I feel he would ever leave for (and that's the most highly coveted job in college hoops that he may not even be a serious candidate for for some time).

Obviously there are many more variables at play, and I know some on this board can't stand his coaching and aren't sold on Wojo whatsoever outside of one recruit signing, but I couldn't be more bullish on what's next across the board.  Just wanted to get you guys' (and gal's) take on it.

As someone who was wildly pro-Shaka, I have to admit I think things turned out for the better.  While I have no illusion that Wojo is staying here forever or that he views MU as anything more than a stop to the "big job" I think Wojo is the real deal and will lead us to very consistent and high levels of performance.  I believe in the process...not only that, I respect it.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2015, 11:38:58 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I think Marquette is a better opening. The budget is immense, clear dedication to basketball, and a track record of success. But in terms of profile, it's Madison Square Garden and New York City. It's a rock star type gig. As we've seen in recent years, rock star gigs don't come close to guaranteeing rock star results (UCLA, Indiana, UNLV) but in terms of sheer size and what you see when looking at the surface, St. John's is pretty huge.

This. I grew up in NY. Brew is correct.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2015, 11:40:05 AM »
As someone who was wildly pro-Shaka, I have to admit I think things turned out for the better.  While I have no illusion that Wojo is staying here forever or that he views MU as anything more than a stop to the "big job" I think Wojo is the real deal and will lead us to very consistent and high levels of performance.  I believe in the process...not only that, I respect it.

There is likely only 1 gig Wojo would leave for.

I can't imagine him jumping to another ACC school, and I'm not sure if the B10 is really a draw for him (I suppose if somebody backed up the Brinks truck, he might be interested, but doesn't seem likely).

Also, if in 5 years, Wojo does take the Duke job, I'm fine with that. That means he will have kicked ass at MU for 5 seasons, and we'll go find another guy.

EDIT: I'm agreeing with you BTW. I think Wojo was a terrific hire based upon what you said, as well as MU's ability to retain him.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2015, 11:41:21 AM »

Greg Gard.  I have no doubt in my mind about this.

+1.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2015, 11:44:02 AM »
So since a year has passed and we were in the same Shaka circus at that time I just want to get people's pulse on where we are now.  Are you guys happy, both at the time and now, that we ended up with Wojo or do some people still wish Shaka had ended up at Marquette?  Do you think we would be in a better position now if Shaka was the head coach or where we are right now with Wojo?  Personally, while this past season was just depressing, I don't think we could be in a much better position with anyone else.

Wojo did the two most important things that needed to be done IMO: 1. completely change the culture of MUBB to something more similar to the Duke standard he knows, and 2. bring in "his type of player ASAP" while not meddling around with Buzz's recruits that weren't going to work here.  In those two regards, he's absolutely killed it.  While Shaka would have been great here and would have been a huge splash Marquette hasn't had in a looonnngggg time, I think Wojo brings plenty more stability and if/when the success starts coming.  There's only one job that I feel he would ever leave for (and that's the most highly coveted job in college hoops that he may not even be a serious candidate for for some time).

Obviously there are many more variables at play, and I know some on this board can't stand his coaching and aren't sold on Wojo whatsoever outside of one recruit signing, but I couldn't be more bullish on what's next across the board.  Just wanted to get you guys' (and gal's) take on it.

I was very excited about the prospect of Smart, but at the same time I feel we're better off with how things worked out.

Wojo's first recruiting class helps with that a lot. First, I like that everyone coming in is regarded for defense and academics, but I'm very impressed with the level Marquette has recruited at. While I think Shaka will almost certainly have a top-5 recruiting class at Texas next year and would have here as well, that Wojo is able to recruit at that level alleviates what was one of my biggest concerns when Shaka changed his mind.

I also think that Wojo comes from a more fundamentally sound place that is more likely to pay off in the long run. Havoc is a ton of fun to watch, but I think it's a gimmick that gets stale once other teams figure you out. Here's the thing...Shaka has parlayed one great year into offers from some great basketball schools. VCU had no business being in that tournament, however. Great on him to make the most of one (undeserved) opportunity but I'm not convinced that style will work in high majors over the long haul. If Shaka adjusts, he may be successful, but I am more convinced that Wojo will ultimately get his style to result in winning high-major basketball than I am of Shaka's style.

As far as long-term...who knows? I don't know if Wojo will treat us as a destination, I don't know if Shaka would have. The last 3-4 years, there's been a circus around Shaka every March/April. Maybe that happens to every coach who isn't at Duke, UNC, Kansas, or Kentucky when they win. But we have seen time and time again Shaka seems to indulge the circus. I can't imagine being at Marquette would have changed that. Will Wojo? We won't know for at least a year or two. But there's better odds he eschews the circus than Shaka, who has proven time and time again that he is happy to feed off it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2015, 11:45:20 AM »
I would expect Barry to go with Greg Gard. He's been Bo's right hand man for ages and would be the guy that would probably keep the recruits, players, and system intact. I think the whole Gary Anderson thing with the football program has made them wary of outside hires that don't view Wisconsin as a "dream job".

EDIT: That said, I think there's a very real chance that in addition to Kaminsky leaving, we also see Bo retire and both Dekker and Hayes declare for the draft.

Kaminsky is obviously gone.  Dekker I would be very surprised to see back.  Hayes might ask around but I can't see him leaving, and even though I heard Bo was retiring, I won't believe it until I see it.  They will still be good next year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2015, 11:49:33 AM »
Still disappointed that Shaka did not end up here. Love his style of play and feel he would have been a great fit. That said, life moves on and I still optimistic that Coach W wins here and represents the university well.

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2015, 11:54:49 AM »
This. I grew up in NY. Brew is correct.

I'm not arguing for which program is a better job but just curious. Does the St. Johns gig still hold up? Sure it's NYC and Madison Square Garden but does anyone in NYC give a sh!t about St. Johns anymore? The program certainly isn't what it used to be obviously, most Catholic bball programs aren't compared to the 70s and 80s. I work and live in the city and apart from the Big East Tournament, you wouldn't even know St. Johns still had a team.

NYC and Madison Square Garden are as good as it gets in terms of atmosphere and generating program attention, but if no one outside of the die hard fans care about the team, it doesn't mean a thing.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2015, 11:56:24 AM »
Kaminsky is obviously gone.  Dekker I would be very surprised to see back.  Hayes might ask around but I can't see him leaving, and even though I heard Bo was retiring, I won't believe it until I see it.  They will still be good next year.

Not as good by a long shot. What happened to them when Kaminsky missed a game? Freaking Rutgers beat them. The combination of Kaminsky and Dekker make them outstanding and makes other guys look better than they are. With Kaminsky and Dekker gone they are a bubble ncaa team, although who knows, the Grinch can coach the hell out of those guys.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »

A lot hinges on who stays and goes. A week ago, the prospect of Koenig, Stone, Hayes, and Dekker looked like a top-10 team. If only one of those guys is in Madison next year, that would radically alter the outlook. Hayes has been looking into where he'd be drafted (that was openly reported last month) and right now it's sounding like he's probably in that dicey 30-35 range that could have him in the first or could have him in the second.

It'll be interesting, but with Stone out of the picture and Dekker likely heading on, I could see him wanting to jump while the getting is good.

Either way, if Bo's back, he'll find a way to squeeze 20 wins and a NCAA bid out of them. He could have me starting at center and he'd manage that. Must be a deal with the devil...how else does Kaminsky go from crap bench player to NPOY in 2 years?!?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2015, 12:19:40 PM »
I read they had a team meeting before the announcement.

Part of his buyout is TX must have a home and home with VCU, that could be awkward for Shaka

Yup, but Chicos won't let that stop him from making stuff up to make Crean look better.  It's funny, Chicos says he things Crean is a mega douche and he would know better because as everyone here is well aware (and if you aren't, trust me, Chicos will remind you as soon as he can) Chicos was attached to Creans hip for a few months while working in Marquette's athletic department...BUT he only defends Crean when somebody lies about Crean here, which he likens to saying "I've worked for many douches in my life but if somebody was spreading the rumor they were sleeping with someone else's wife and it wasn't true, I would back them up and say it wasn't true."  YET here we are, nobody having said a word about Crean or how he left, and here is Chicos defending the heck out of Crean.  It's quite odd and contradictory to Chicos's narrative.  He calls everyone else out on here for still being oddly obsessed with a coach who left 7 years ago.  Seems to me Chicos is just as obsessed with the man, but in an even more weird way.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2015, 12:27:15 PM »
Still disappointed that Shaka did not end up here. Love his style of play and feel he would have been a great fit. That said, life moves on and I still optimistic that Coach W wins here and represents the university well.

While it would have been fun to have Shaka here, part of me is glad we don't have to go through the inevitable coaching carousel rumors annually, at least until Wojo has some major success. 
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2015, 12:36:04 PM »
still being oddly obsessed with a coach who left 7 years ago.  Seems to me Chicos is just as obsessed with the man, but in an even more weird way.

Is it wrong for a man to want to watch gladiator movies with another man?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2015, 12:43:59 PM »
Is it wrong for a man to want to watch gladiator movies with another man?
Not if they are both lusting after Connie Nielsen. Still hot at about 60.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2015, 12:52:23 PM »
Not as good by a long shot. What happened to them when Kaminsky missed a game? Freaking Rutgers beat them. The combination of Kaminsky and Dekker make them outstanding and makes other guys look better than they are. With Kaminsky and Dekker gone they are a bubble ncaa team, although who knows, the Grinch can coach the hell out of those guys.

IIRC, Trae Jackson broke his foot in that game also

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2015, 12:57:27 PM »

IIRC, Trae Jackson broke his foot in that game also

After they blew their 12 point halftime lead however.

UW will be fine next year, but will obviously be down.  I would guess that Dekker leaves, but Hayes stays.  (He didn't look good against either UNC or Arizona.)  They also have Ethan Happ (6'9 forward) as a redshirt freshman.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2015, 01:00:06 PM »

I can't imagine him jumping to another ACC school, and I'm not sure if the B10 is really a draw for him (I suppose if somebody backed up the Brinks truck, he might be interested, but doesn't seem likely).

Also, if in 5 years, Wojo does take the Duke job, I'm fine with that. That means he will have kicked ass at MU for 5 seasons, and we'll go find another guy.

EDIT: I'm agreeing with you BTW. I think Wojo was a terrific hire based upon what you said, as well as MU's ability to retain him.

Agree.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2015, 01:45:30 PM »

I'm not sure about that. Duke is obvious, but I could also see a Kansas, Michigan State, or Arizona type program that has a strong tradition and deep pockets being of interest. I hope not, but until Wojo has that decision to make, we won't really know.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2015, 02:09:25 PM »
I'm not sure about that. Duke is obvious, but I could also see a Kansas, Michigan State, or Arizona type program that has a strong tradition and deep pockets being of interest. I hope not, but until Wojo has that decision to make, we won't really know.

Wojo would first have to have Marquette playing at a high level to even put himself in the discussion for those jobs Brew.

Let's just say Michigan State had a coaching vacancy next season.  One would have to think there'd be quite a few coaches higher up the food chain just based on head coaching experience and results than Wojo.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2015, 02:14:51 PM »
None of those schools would give Wojo a sniff if they had the vacancy now, based on his current track record. Five years from now? Only if there is significant improvement in the next 4 years.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2015, 02:22:42 PM »
Wojo would first have to have Marquette playing at a high level to even put himself in the discussion for those jobs Brew.

Let's just say Michigan State had a coaching vacancy next season.  One would have to think there'd be quite a few coaches higher up the food chain just based on head coaching experience and results than Wojo.

None of those schools would give Wojo a sniff if they had the vacancy now, based on his current track record. Five years from now? Only if there is significant improvement in the next 4 years.

Brew was simply countering Canned's opinion that Duke would be the only school Wojo would leave for.  Not that any of those schools would be interested right now.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2015, 02:27:09 PM »
NM

What Sultan said.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2015, 02:40:22 PM »
Wojo was at Duke for 17 years (player and coach) and his mentor has been at the same job for 35 years.

Do you put any stock in the idea that he is one that would like to keep the movements to a minimum which is why he waited so long before he jumped to his first HC position.

In other words, he is not here to get to the second week of the tourney ASAP so he can leave.  If he leaves it is going to take a lot, like a clear upgrade (read not a Tenn, VT or maybe even an IU.  Something that he thinks is "better")

You buying any of this?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2015, 02:47:01 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks Shaka is overhyped?

I'm completely on board with you on that!!!

feedback