[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by wadesworld
[May 06, 2024, 10:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [GoMarquette.com] Golden Eagles To Open Regular Season Nov. 13 Against Centenary  (Read 4640 times)

GOMU1104

• All American
Wow, is there really going to be two weeks of people bitching about the non-con opponents?!?!?  This could be comparable to the torture of dripping water on someones forehead...

Listen...we are playing UW, NC State, an improved UWM team, as well as a VERY competitive Old Spice Invite. Rumor has it that St. Bonaventure may also be on the schedule.

Who the F cares if we play MSOE, UW-Nowhere, MATC, Milwaukee Washington, etc in an exhibition game?!?!?  You cant honestly be complaining about that...

My god people!

Moving on...FYI...

You mean like the Nike Allstars?

it is what it is.

Thanks to Rudy Gay and Jim Calhoun, those games cant happen anymore.  Thanks for ruining the fun Jimmy C!

dennycrane

• Starter
The approach of revealing one opponent per day makes the pre-conference schedule appear even worse.  Typically when the entire schedule is released at once, you focus on the marquee games (UW, NC State) and ignore the guarantee games.  Now we're forced to focus on Centenary for the next 24 hours.  What a terrible idea.

This is hilarious. Remember the old 60's-70's board game "Mystery Date"? Now you know you get to spend the night with Debby Downer. Maybe tomorrow it will be a real dreamboat?  :P

MUUWUWM

• All American
Your all missing the point and let me tell you the rest of the story.

MSOE  contacted UW, UWM, and UWGB and they all refused to play them.

They are just chicken saying things like everything to lose and nothing to win....

We are the only Division 1 school in the state with enough balls to face them...

Now don't you feel better and a bit proud?

So stick your breast out further and hold your beak out and straight up. ;)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 07:45:40 PM by MUUWUWM »

GGGG

• All American
Probably true, though the UW system has some of the best D3 teams (Point, Platteville and Whitewater were all top 10 at the end of last year) so those seem more likely.  That said, I think it's a long stretch to claim exhibition games have any relation to conference play and the opponents are probably more about local schools or coaches with connections than it is for finding competition.  Since the NCAA ruled out club and national teams, at least (why is it okay for the women to play them but not the men?).

Marquette is going to find a D3 school that is local and therefore won't have to pay a lot to come here.  That is why they have played the likes of Whitewater, Stritch and now MSOE.  The closest D2 opponent they could play is Parkside, but honestly I think most of the D3 UW schools have better basketball programs than Parkside.  (I also am not sure they can play a D2 school in an exhibition game.  I think they are limited to D3.)

The exhibition game is just a chance to settle into a rotation and stop playing against one another.  It doesn't prepare you for BE play.  It's not supposed to.  They move from the exhibition, to a few guaranty games, to some tougher non-conference opponents, to the Big East.

dsfire

• All American
I don't think there's any limitation against D2 schools in exhibition games - from the NCAA bylaw on exempted games:
(i) Exhibition against a Non-NCAA Division I Four-Year Collegiate Institution.  An exhibition contest against a four-year collegiate institution (other than an NCAA Division I institution) played in the arena in which the member institution regularly plays its home contests.  [...]  In men's basketball, an institution may play two exhibition contests against a non-NCAA Division I four-year collegiate institution during any year in which it does not use the exemption set forth in Bylaw 17.5.5.3-(j), or may play one exhibition contest against a non-NCAA Division I four-year collegiate institution and one practice scrimmage as defined in Bylaw 17.5.5.3-(j); and  (Adopted: 10/28/99 effective 8/1/00; Revised: 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04)

GGGG

• All American
OK, thanks dsfire.

So that means they could play Parkside.  Or they could pay out more money have have a school like Winona come into Milwaukee.  (But Winona could actually put together a decent game and beat MU.)  Hell, MSOE is located closer to the Bradley Center than MU is.

muwarrior87

• All American
MSOE is a DIII school though. So if we played them, it would be as an exhibition.

ecompt

• All American
For God's sake, it's an exhibition game, and we will have seven new players. The non-conference games -- not an exhibition -- get us ready for the Big East.