[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [GoMarquette.com] Golden Eagles To Open Regular Season Nov. 13 Against Centenary  (Read 4639 times)

GoMarquetteSays

Golden Eagles To Open Regular Season Nov. 13 Against Centenary

Over the course of the next two weeks, GoMarquette.com will announce the non-conference portion of its upcoming 2009-10 men's basketball schedule.

One opponent will be released each day, with start times listed when available and subject to change. Marquette fans will have a head start on plans to follow the Golden Eagles next season, rather than having to wait until early September for the complete schedule as they have in the past.

http://onlyfans.cstv.com/schools/marq/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/071309aab.html

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
MU v. MSOE on Nov 6th or 7th? rofl!

reinko

• All American
Good lord, they are the Centenary College Gentleman. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centenary_College_of_Louisiana#Athletics

GGGG

• All American
This is just absurd.

And why MSOE?  Honestly, Bradley Tech will give MU a better game than MSOE will...

{Juggernaut}

• Starter
It is the smallest D1 school in the country, but Robert Parish went there...
This game i must question cause they were 8-23 last year and 243 ranking in ken pom.  How can this help out sos... ?-(
Da Bulls

Nukem2

• All American
It is the smallest D1 school in the country, but Robert Parish went there...
This game i must question cause they were 8-23 last year and 243 ranking in ken pom.  How can this help out sos... ?-(
Its a "buy" game.  It is what it is.  At any rate, our newbies need to start off slowly...? 

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
The approach of revealing one opponent per day makes the pre-conference schedule appear even worse.  Typically when the entire schedule is released at once, you focus on the marquee games (UW, NC State) and ignore the guarantee games.  Now we're forced to focus on Centenary for the next 24 hours.  What a terrible idea.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
The approach of revealing one opponent per day makes the pre-conference schedule appear even worse.  Typically when the entire schedule is released at once, you focus on the marquee games (UW, NC State) and ignore the guarantee games.  Now we're forced to focus on Centenary for the next 24 hours.  What a terrible idea.

couldn't have said it better myself
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

4everwarriors

• All American
The Gentlemen and MSOE would have given IU all they could handle last season. Should be interesting to see how many live bodies actually walk through the turnstiles for these beauties.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
I understand the MSOE players actually wear wristwatches during their games.

Nukem2

• All American
I understand the MSOE players actually wear wristwatches during their games.

Yes, the MSOE game is a head scratcher.  Though, I guess its no worse than the Cardinal Stritch game a couple years ago.  Would rather see a quality Div II / Div III team

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
The Gentlemen and MSOE would have given IU all they could handle last season. Should be interesting to see how many live bodies actually walk through the turnstiles for these beauties.

At least with MSOE there may be a home-town crowd there to witness this curiosity.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Honest Question:

Who really creates the schedule?

I assume it's the Athletic Director and Head Coach with final sign off from the University President.

Warrior of Law

• All American
Where is the press release announcing that the official offer to play MSOE has been sent in the mail?
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Just FYI: some of Centenary tougher opponents include Oklahoma, Mississippi, and Mississippi State.

But then they play the SW Assemblies of God.  ?-(

http://www.gocentenary.com/SportSelect.dbml?&SPSID=89611&SPID=10695&DB_OEM_ID=17900&KEY=&Q_SEASON=2009
SS Marquette

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
Regarding MSOE, it may be worth showing up to see if the Abehole appears.  Then I bet a lot of MU fans would like to either particpate in or witness him getting the crap beaten out of him.  

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
I didn't even know MSOE had sports teams.
Oh well.

Can't wait til they annouce the date of the Marquette University v Marquette High game.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

HoopsMalone

• All American

It gives us something to talk about while there is not a lot going on though.  I am happy I found out that Robert Parish went to a school we are playing in November.

muguru

• All American
I can't believe you guys are making such a big deal out of their EXHIBITION opponent. Who cares?? The game doesn't count for anything, statistically or in the "W-L" column so really why does it matter?? You people need to get a life if this is what you are going to whine about.  ::)
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
muguru - We only have one exhibition game this year.  With our crop of new blood it would be nice to play someone that would prepare us for the challenges of the Big East instead of preparing us for the challenges of intramural basketball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
muguru - We only have one exhibition game this year.  With our crop of new blood it would be nice to play someone that would prepare us for the challenges of the Big East instead of preparing us for the challenges of intramural basketball.

You mean like the Nike Allstars?

it is what it is.

dsfire

• All American
Are we doing the closed scrimmage again this year?

Also, who are you going to find to play in exhibition that would prepare anyone for the Big East?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Are we doing the closed scrimmage again this year?

Also, who are you going to find to play in exhibition that would prepare anyone for the Big East?

At least a school that gives out athletic scholarships.  MSOE is D3.  I'm sure we could find a D2 school that has a little talent that would like to come play at the BC.

dsfire

• All American
At least a school that gives out athletic scholarships.  MSOE is D3.  I'm sure we could find a D2 school that has a little talent that would like to come play at the BC.
Probably true, though the UW system has some of the best D3 teams (Point, Platteville and Whitewater were all top 10 at the end of last year) so those seem more likely.  That said, I think it's a long stretch to claim exhibition games have any relation to conference play and the opponents are probably more about local schools or coaches with connections than it is for finding competition.  Since the NCAA ruled out club and national teams, at least (why is it okay for the women to play them but not the men?).

Marquette84

• All American

You apparently haven't been around the past few years.  No matter what marquee games were on the schedule, the buy games garnered at least 10X the discussion.

At least this way, there might be some individual focus on the marquee games before the final late-December buy games are announced.

I didn't even know MSOE had sports teams.
Oh well.

Can't wait til they annouce the date of the Marquette University v Marquette High game.

Sounds like MSOE played 3/4 of a game against UWM in their exhibition last year:

"The Raiders pulled to within five points at 40-35 midway through the second half but missed point-blank shots on three consecutive possessions and went 8 minutes 33 seconds without a field goal. MSOE was outscored, 28-8, over the final 14 minutes."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/panthers/33956804.html

Of course this might say more about UWM than MSOE.

The Massey ratings  combine D1, 2, and 3, NAIA and NJCAA into a single chart--of 1972 teams, MSOE ranked #830--closest D1 team ahead of them was Southern, and they actually rank ahead of D1 Grambling.
http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cb

So MSOE is the equivalent of a 330 to 340 level RPI D-1 team. Not great, by any stretch, but certainly far better than comparing them to a HS or interrmural team.

FYI, Indian Hills CC ranked 269--putting them between Harvard and Pepperdine.
Hutchinson CC ranked 989--behind all D1 teams.