Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 08:02:41 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[Today at 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[Today at 06:37:52 PM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 04:43:45 PM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by tower912
[Today at 01:46:14 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Transfer Portal  (Read 151628 times)

Viper

• All American
Re: 2024 Transfer Portal
« Reply #1950 on: May 01, 2024, 08:55:53 PM »
Time to make it a drinking game, a la Markus only being 17.    Every time the announcers mention that MU is the only high major to completely sit out the transfer portal during the offseason, drink.
…you drinking now? 🥃

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1951 on: May 01, 2024, 08:59:46 PM »
Diet Pepsi for me.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1952 on: May 01, 2024, 09:10:22 PM »
Walk on Jack Anderson finally made it official, transferring to Marquette. D3 player.

There it is

We now have a portal guy
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1953 on: May 01, 2024, 09:12:11 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1954 on: May 01, 2024, 09:20:47 PM »
Would rather have kept the continuity than risk any letter writing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1955 on: May 01, 2024, 09:32:05 PM »
The NCAA rule is a player is allowed 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. What happened is the NCAA declared that 2020-21 did not count toward a year of eligibility. They never actually granted 5 years as some media outlets erroneously state. Yes some players did play 5 years because their league played in 2020-21 but the Ivy League didnt.

So in Dingle and Ledlum case , they started in 2019-20 , did not play in 2020-21 because Ivy League had no season, and then competed in 21-22, 22-23, and 23-24.

So from NCAA standpoint Dingle and Ledlum  got their  5 to play 4 . Another way of looking at this, is if Dingle and Ledlum where freshman in 2020-21 they would still have another year of eligibility this season.

It will be interesting to see if they win the Anti Trust element of their case, could that open the door to unlimited years of eligibility?

I'm aware of the rules. I'm just suprised they didn't cave
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1956 on: May 01, 2024, 09:40:03 PM »
But anyone who redshirted in 20-21 is seemingly eligible for the covid season?
Lets do a hypothetical scenario. Freshman comes in during 20-21 at a non Ivy League school and they do not play that season, for all practical purposes they are still a freshman because 20-21 does not count as a season for eligibility purposes

That player would still have 5 years to complete 4. So they could play 21-22, 22-23, 23-24 and 24-25. They would not get a fifth year beyond that .

So what people are calling a covid year in that theoretical case (24-25)is nothing more than what the NCAA rules already allow.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1957 on: Today at 04:50:09 AM »
Arthur Kaluma back in the portal again.

Returning to Creighton?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1958 on: Today at 05:23:07 AM »
Do the walk ons feel recruited over?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1959 on: Today at 07:21:48 AM »
Do the walk ons feel recruited over?

No. They feel walked over.

Returning to Creighton?

My guess that at least one  scooper will post that Marquette should go after him to replace one of our projected starters.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1960 on: Today at 07:24:03 AM »
No. They feel walked over.

My guess that at least one  scooper will post that Marquette should go after him to replace one of our projected starters.
Well done.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1961 on: Today at 10:30:58 AM »
CBS Sports has MU as one of the winners in the portal derby. Great to see.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #1962 on: Today at 10:40:08 AM »
Yeah. Wonder how they arrived at that.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1963 on: Today at 11:00:36 AM »
Yeah. Wonder how they arrived at that.

Obviously because we retained everyone. Why is this so hard for you to understand?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1964 on: Today at 11:02:44 AM »

Accurate too, no one did better in the portal than Marquette. Retaining everyone is phenomenal and the class balance is incredible. I'm not sure how long this will last, but based on 3 years of results Shaka is truly building a special culture here that is unmatched in the sport.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Nutty

• Walk-On
« Reply #1965 on: Today at 11:17:58 AM »
Kansas has Storrs.  Therefore, MU is the only high major to neither lose a player to the portal nor sign a player in the portal.

Yay, MU!

Something like this is a good thing...if you win.  If you don't, it becomes something that quickly becomes a negative.  If MU is right back near the top of the Big East, competing to be a 1 or 2 seed again, then it is a source of pride.  If they fall back to the middle of the Big East pack and are a bubble team, then it becomes a, "Why didn't we upgrade our roster in the portal?" situation. 

It's like having a quirky coach.  When you win, the quirks are amusing and part of why you win.  When you lose, the quirks are annoying and the reason you're losing. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1966 on: Today at 11:57:46 AM »
After Marquette wins 6 games in the 2025 NCAA tournament to take the national title, joyless willie will say:

"Lots of team have one 6. I cant believe they didnt won 7. Their a pile of dung."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1967 on: Today at 12:05:15 PM »
Something like this is a good thing...if you win.  If you don't, it becomes something that quickly becomes a negative.  If MU is right back near the top of the Big East, competing to be a 1 or 2 seed again, then it is a source of pride.  If they fall back to the middle of the Big East pack and are a bubble team, then it becomes a, "Why didn't we upgrade our roster in the portal?" situation. 

It's like having a quirky coach.  When you win, the quirks are amusing and part of why you win.  When you lose, the quirks are annoying and the reason you're losing.

The second line of my signature, with "your" substituted for "our", tells you my reaction to this post. How do you explain all the teams in not just the Big East but other major conferences that have used the portal heavily and still are "middle of the pack"? Your premise fails to explain that and does not allow for any measure other than "near the top" or "a 1 or 2 seed again'. What's next? Anything short of a natty or at least a FF = failure due to Shaka's system?   ::)

« Last Edit: Today at 12:07:38 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Nutty

• Walk-On
« Reply #1968 on: Today at 12:36:26 PM »
The second line of my signature, with "your" substituted for "our", tells you my reaction to this post. How do you explain all the teams in not just the Big East but other major conferences that have used the portal heavily and still are "middle of the pack"? Your premise fails to explain that and does not allow for any measure other than "near the top" or "a 1 or 2 seed again'. What's next? Anything short of a natty or at least a FF = failure due to Shaka's system?   ::)

Never said that using the portal is a virtue, and not using the portal is a shortcoming.  Just taking issue with the implication that not using the portal, or having no transfers in or out this season, is something to crow about.  Shaka's job is the same as every other coach:  Put together the best roster you can.  If the best roster he can put together is by keeping all of his players and not bringing in transfers, then that's good.  If you have a chance to add talent to the roster via the portal and you choose not to, you better be correct about what you have.

Virtue signaling on Shaka not using the portal is pointless.  The proof will be in the pudding, one way or the other.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1969 on: Today at 12:37:31 PM »

If Marquette does end up as a bubble team this season or in the future (it is going to happen at some point), it would be shortsighted to complain about not using the portal.  A bubble team one season that retains all of it's rotation players could be much more the following season. 

Too much myopic thinking when it comes to this. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1970 on: Today at 12:42:22 PM »
Never said that using the portal is a virtue, and not using the portal is a shortcoming.  Just taking issue with the implication that not using the portal, or having no transfers in or out this season, is something to crow about.  Shaka's job is the same as every other coach:  Put together the best roster you can.  If the best roster he can put together is by keeping all of his players and not bringing in transfers, then that's good.  If you have a chance to add talent to the roster via the portal and you choose not to, you better be correct about what you have.

Every coach needs to be correct with the decisions they make. The fact that Shaka prefers this approach, and there were no transfers out, means he was successful by the terms he established. And my guess is 95% of D1 coaches wish they could say the same.

Virtue signaling on Shaka not using the portal is pointless....

::) ::) ::)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1971 on: Today at 12:53:39 PM »
If Marquette does end up as a bubble team this season or in the future (it is going to happen at some point), it would be shortsighted to complain about not using the portal.  A bubble team one season that retains all of it's rotation players could be much more the following season. 

Too much myopic thinking when it comes to this.

What triggered me was Nutty's judging the success or failure of Shaka's system by different standards than those used for all the other P6 teams who finished anywhere from last to first in their conferences. That was the reason I referred to a slight variation of one of my signatures.   

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1972 on: Today at 01:20:38 PM »

Any choice is the right choice....if you win.  And posters were saying that after 27 wins and a sweet 16.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:47:15 PM by tower912 »

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1973 on: Today at 08:02:41 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yNZza5_Q14

I enjoyed the highlight being 20 seconds of iso ball then a pull up contested mid range miss