[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Another George Thompson thread  (Read 5457 times)

The Lens

• All American
Another George Thompson thread
« on: November 18, 2006, 01:01:57 AM »
You know what gets me...the number was "out of circulation" for 35 plus years...now it just magically pops up on a kid who wore #32 on AAU and #12 at ND Prep?

Kojis's, Dream's, Lee's, Ellis's number have never been worn post "hanging"

MU says we retire jerseys blah blah blah and then they never reissue one of those numbers.

IMHO...this was personal. 

Chicos...if MU only retired jerseys, why did they wait 35 years to issue GT's #?

Also, I don't think for one minute that GT acted alone, I bet this was a well orchestrated move.  GT has an incredible number of friends and is next to Hank probably the most well respected member of the MU athletic fraternity. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

4everwarriors

• All American
The Question Is Why
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 06:22:55 AM »
What's the rift between George and MU? Is it only ripping the mic away from him? Crean's public face says he embraces the Warrior tradition. But, does he really or only when it serves to benefit him? Certainly he knew the ramifications of this humiliation of  one of the program's all-time greats when it was done.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77fan88warrior

• All American
Re: Another George Thompson thread
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 07:51:00 AM »
I smell a rat here. I can't believe LH cared that much about number if he wore two other numbers. It seems hard to believe that this wasn't a pimp move by Crean or athletic department. There had to be a reason that this was being discussed on boards a few months back. It is a shame that it was handled this way and I'm sure that Thompson let his temper get the best of him. I certainly don't blame Thompson for the majority of the problem. I feel that someone made a conscious decision for this to happen and I don't think it could have happened without Crean's approval. I think it would be impossible for Crean to say he didn't know about Thompson's number.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 08:00:23 AM »
MU did change from retiring numbers to retiring jerseys.  When Tatum and Lucas had theirs lifted in the rafters, it was the jersey.  Most schools (and sports teams for that matter) are going that way.  It allows you to honor the athlete but not get in trouble with a lack of numbers.

That stated, GT definitely had his number retired.  IMHO, the university should continue to honor those who had their numbers retired by keeping those retired.  For those who had their jersey's retired and not numbers, those numbers are still available.

MU could put this all to bed with a press release stating the above and admitting to the change in policy. 

Finally, GT, again IMHO, comes off badly in this mess as well.  He complains that MU never "had the balls" to call him yet he never called MU either.  The story could have been a much nicer one had he gone to MU first with his concerns ...

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 08:36:45 AM »
I don't think Thompson comes off badly at all -- just angry. When one of the school's most prominent alums feels slighted, it's the university and the basketball program that comes off badly. He had a right to be upset. A columnist, who he's probably known for years, called and asked him about it. It's as simple as that. This comes on the heels of being forced out of the radio booth and it's a perfect storm. MU looks like the bad guy here.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 09:46:14 AM »
George definetly has "issues" with the program. the broadcast booth is but one----the other issues may include the Dr  Langencamp and Tim Schmitt episodes!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 10:03:18 AM »
Exactly!!!...the one thing I have thought and have since been told is this was not about George and how he was treated but how others around him have been treated.

I really believe the main reason GT went public is b/c it was his last resort and only way left to get thru.

Finally, all we heard when Cords announced his retirement was that when praise flew, he stood in back, when the bullets were flying, he stood in front.  Never has that been more apparent.  I find it extremely odd and very disappointing that the coach has not said a word.  Tom Crean is a extremely lucky to have Bill Cords.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 11:13:47 AM »
Damon, I don't know.  I said before, if you think it was intentional I'd like to see some evidence of that. 

Regardless, a mistake by MU and no one is saying it wasn't.  George is a complex guy and a proud guy.  I had a dealing with him or two while I was the Exec. Producer of the radio network....all in all, a professional man with strong opinions which I liked.  I enjoyed listening to him.

I think George's pride on this one, however, has come too much into play.  A phone call would have fixed the problem.  Now, if you tell me he did make that phone call and then was rebuffed, well then my hat's off to George for taking it the next step.  I don't believe that was done...if it was, what evidence is there that it was?

4everwarriors

• All American
Yo, Murff
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 04:06:54 PM »
What are the Langencamp and Schmitt episodes? I'm not privy to that info.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 08:23:30 PM »
Did you guys listen to Crean in the postgame?  He addressed the situation, nothing was intentional about it, he took all the blame and said don't blame Cords.

It was a mistake, they have rectified the mistake and it's over.  Now, let's hope everyone can move on, including George.  You're one of the all-time greats George...it was a mistake.  Keep the communication lines open.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 11:29:31 PM »
Did you guys listen to Crean in the postgame?  He addressed the situation, nothing was intentional about it, he took all the blame and said don't blame Cords.

It was a mistake, they have rectified the mistake and it's over.  Now, let's hope everyone can move on, including George.  You're one of the all-time greats George...it was a mistake.  Keep the communication lines open.

Jimmy, you've been around...you know the deal.  You know that TC is not Mr Postgame...Jimmy I think you should check out JG, his Langauge theory is spot on. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 11:41:52 PM by DamonKeysContactLens »

tweakers_suck

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 12:15:03 AM »
My only comment about this thread is that it is really difficult to make a point if people can't read your writing.  The scroll feature is pretty useless for long text.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 12:47:14 AM »
From Todd Rosiak of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Crean also commented for the first time on the flap surrounding Hayward's uniform number, which was switched from 24 to 32 on Wednesday in response to comments made by MU's all-time leading scorer, George Thompson.

"I would hope, eight years in, that I wouldn't have to defend what tradition means to me and to the Marquette athletic program when it comes to honoring players of the past," he said. "There's not a chance if I felt I was making a mistake that we would have made it.

"The blame goes to me. I've said that to George Thompson, that no one would ever try to disrespect him, ever. I'm sorry that it happened, and I apologize to anybody we offended with that."

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 08:00:59 AM »
Chicos----why did they (MU Athletic Dept) get so defensive after the fact, saying that "jersey's are retired -----not numbers'! Sounds to me like a fued going on here that has its foundation in another situation or situations!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 12:33:31 PM »
Chicos----why did they (MU Athletic Dept) get so defensive after the fact, saying that "jersey's are retired -----not numbers'! Sounds to me like a fued going on here that has its foundation in another situation or situations!

I don't think they were defensive....it was jerseys when I was an employee there. The media guide headline says numbers but when you read the paragraph it says jerseys.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 02:47:09 PM »
I continue to read that differently.  The paragraph says MU retires "jersey numbers".  I read that as "jersey" as a modifier of the word "numbers".  Not their not their phone number, not their lucky numbers nor locker combination number. Jersey Number.

As GT himself said, what does retiring a jersey mean, anyhow?  That no one will ever wear a jersey with #24 AND the name "Thompson" on the back?

Nope, that "jersey number" has been retired.  I'm really trying to see how that can be read any differently, at least, linguistically, but cannot. 

Moot subject, though.  Nothing to see here, let's move along people.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2006, 09:38:02 PM »
I continue to read that differently.  The paragraph says MU retires "jersey numbers".  I read that as "jersey" as a modifier of the word "numbers".  Not their not their phone number, not their lucky numbers nor locker combination number. Jersey Number.

As GT himself said, what does retiring a jersey mean, anyhow?  That no one will ever wear a jersey with #24 AND the name "Thompson" on the back?

Nope, that "jersey number" has been retired.  I'm really trying to see how that can be read any differently, at least, linguistically, but cannot. 

Moot subject, though.  Nothing to see here, let's move along people.

I can only tell you what the deal was when I worked there, and it was jerseys.  GT's interpretation is fine, but that being said there are many schools (Kentucky, etc) that will retire jersey numbers to the rafters and, in fact, they will use those numbers again.