[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Offseason and Winter Meetings  (Read 43658 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: MLB Offseason and Winter Meetings
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2014, 03:00:41 PM »
I know they are close.  As I said, Rizzo is likely the best 1B in the NL.  And Abreu finished 4th in MVP voting.  So I don't know why you feel the need to be snotty about it. 

And WAR is not the only metric that should be looked at.  It isn't the end all be all.  It is part of the equation.  But that is a conversation for another day. 

Rizzo is my favorite player on the Cubs but I'm not ready to say that he's better than Paul Goldschmidt, Adrian Gonzalez or Joey Votto.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2014, 03:03:08 PM »
Have you seen the renderings? Remodeled Soldier Field looks better.

If they were going to ruin what made Wrigley so unique then they should have just built a new stadium. I'd much rather have that than have the half-Wrigley/half-Wisconsin Dells that they're creating.

Yes, I have. I've also seen actual sets of plans. The entire concourse you mentioned in your first post is being entirely restored.

What in particular do you feel is ruining Wrigley's uniqueness?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 03:10:42 PM by PandTandMand... »

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2014, 03:03:39 PM »
Really?  Then why did the Red Sox offer 20 million less than the Cubs?  They must think that money means something.  There is no salary cap, but teams still operate within the constraints of a budget. 

Okay, you're right, it doesn't mean "nothing", but certainly relatively when compared to other pro sports.  Also, it's only going to get more pronounced.  The Cubs TV contract is coming up and it's going to be unreal, especially if they have a competitive team to sell in negotiations for that.  They can basically print their own money if they go the route that NY did. Add the new ballpark additions and the revenue and you've got even more.
As for the ballpark, as a lifelong Cubs fan I have always appreciated seeing a game at Wrigley, but I honestly don't care what they do to the park if it means winning.  What are they protecting?  What tradition?  The tradition of losing so much that your name is associated with losing.  Wipe it clean and start over.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2014, 03:03:43 PM »
I know they are close.  As I said, Rizzo is likely the best 1B in the NL.  And Abreu finished 4th in MVP voting.  So I don't know why you feel the need to be snotty about it.  

And WAR is not the only metric that should be looked at.  It isn't the end all be all.  It is part of the equation.  But that is a conversation for another day.  

Agreed, I wasn't being snotty though. I love Abreu.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2014, 03:18:00 PM »
Rizzo is my favorite player on the Cubs but I'm not ready to say that he's better than Paul Goldschmidt, Adrian Gonzalez or Joey Votto.

Goldschmidt I get but if you don't think Rizzo is better, especially moving forward, than Gonzalez and Votto you're crazy, IMO. 

Abreu was amazing last year but all things considered, including age, defense, and contract, I take Rizzo.  People are really overlooking how phenomenal he was this season.

And please don't use stats like RBIs or average when you are comparing them.  It's like using wins to compare the quality of a pitcher. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2014, 03:18:49 PM »
Have you seen the renderings? Remodeled Soldier Field looks better.

If they were going to ruin what made Wrigley so unique then they should have just built a new stadium. I'd much rather have that than have the half-Wrigley/half-Wisconsin Dells that they're creating.

The renderings look fantastic.  I wouldn't make that judgment until everything is complete. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2014, 03:19:54 PM »

Might want to add Freddie Freeman to that list. Had a bit of down year in 2014, but his career numbers are more impressive than Rizzo's.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2014, 03:21:12 PM »

Goldschmidt is certainly better, that is true.  Against Gonzalez and Votto, I think you could certainly make arguments for Rizzo.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2014, 03:29:28 PM »
I agree on Goldy, one of my favorite players in all of baseball.

Votto was primed to dominate, but still really good. Unfortunately, he was injured last year. He'll be back to 2013 numbers in 2015.

Freeman's a bit behind these guys though.

Goldy
Rizzo/Votto/Adrian
Freeman/Duda
Morneau/Alonso/Fat Adams

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2014, 03:29:50 PM »
Goldschmidt I get but if you don't think Rizzo is better, especially moving forward, than Gonzalez and Votto you're crazy, IMO. 

Abreu was amazing last year but all things considered, including age, defense, and contract, I take Rizzo.  People are really overlooking how phenomenal he was this season.

And please don't use stats like RBIs or average when you are comparing them.  It's like using wins to compare the quality of a pitcher. 

Please.  Again, BA and RBI aren't the end all be all, but they are part of the equation.  BA needs to be factored in, OBP isn't the same.  Because, no matter what your little league coach told you, a walk is not as good as a hit.  Runs don't score from second on a walk.  Walks don't move guys 1st to 3rd.

Some guys choke with runners on, others thrive.  It should be part of the conversation. 

What is more silly is comparing defensive metrics for a 1B.  It is the least valuable position defensively.  All they are asked to do is catch the ball.  Having an elite defender can make a difference, but there isn't much difference between a slightly better than average 1B and a slightly below avg 1B.  Certainly not the impact of SS,2B,3B, CF, or C. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2014, 03:33:01 PM »
I agree on Goldy, one of my favorite players in all of baseball.

Votto was primed to dominate, but still really good. Unfortunately, he was injured last year. He'll be back to 2013 numbers in 2015.

Freeman's a bit behind these guys though.

Goldy
Rizzo/Votto/Adrian
Freeman/Duda
Morneau/Alonso/Fat Adams

I think Votto is a perfect example of how BB can be a detriment.  He has great K zone judgement. Great hitter, but I think sometimes, he needs to be more aggressive.  He needs to swing the bat more, drive it into gaps, or over the wall and be more dangerous.  His best years are when he walks 90-110 times.  At 135 BB, he is losing to many ABs, that team needs him to hit.  Obviously not saying he needs to swing at crap just to swing, but if I were his coach I would want him to be a little more aggressive in some situations. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2014, 03:58:01 PM »

Please.  Again, BA and RBI aren't the end all be all, but they are part of the equation.  BA needs to be factored in, OBP isn't the same.  Because, no matter what your little league coach told you, a walk is not as good as a hit.  Runs don't score from second on a walk.  Walks don't move guys 1st to 3rd.

Some guys choke with runners on, others thrive.  It should be part of the conversation. 

What is more silly is comparing defensive metrics for a 1B.  It is the least valuable position defensively.  All they are asked to do is catch the ball.  Having an elite defender can make a difference, but there isn't much difference between a slightly better than average 1B and a slightly below avg 1B.  Certainly not the impact of SS,2B,3B, CF, or C. 

Thanks for the lesson but I understand that batting average has an impact on OBP.  However, evaluating and/or comparing players on batting average in a vacuum is meaningless. 

I also didn't bring up any specific defensive metrics and clearly defense at some of the positions you mentioned is much more valuable but to say it doesn't factor in to a player's value at 1B is not true. 

Abreu had the better offensive year (but not by much) and being that Rizzo is two years younger, left-handed and signed for two years longer (assuming the options are picked up)at a very reasonable contract he would be my preference.  Relevant arguments can be made on both sides but let's not act like Abreu is so much better and use MVP voting as an argument.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2014, 05:06:38 PM »
Thanks for the lesson but I understand that batting average has an impact on OBP.  However, evaluating and/or comparing players on batting average in a vacuum is meaningless. 

I also didn't bring up any specific defensive metrics and clearly defense at some of the positions you mentioned is much more valuable but to say it doesn't factor in to a player's value at 1B is not true. 

Abreu had the better offensive year (but not by much) and being that Rizzo is two years younger, left-handed and signed for two years longer (assuming the options are picked up)at a very reasonable contract he would be my preference.  Relevant arguments can be made on both sides but let's not act like Abreu is so much better and use MVP voting as an argument.

I didn't do or say any of that.  And I never said anything against you preferring Rizzo, as it is, as you mentioned, completely reasonable.

I also never used MVP voting as an argument as to which was better.  I made that reference to put into perspective how great Abreu was last season.  He was one of the top hitters in the AL.

And I wasn't comparing BA in a vacuum.  It was part of a comp of their entire body of work from last season.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2014, 05:29:07 PM »
Jimmy Rollins to the Dodgers for what looks like 2 low level pitchers.   

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2014, 05:46:13 PM »
Pirates acquire Antonio Bastardo.  Philly starting their full on fire sale.  

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2014, 05:48:23 PM »
And, the Dodgers just traded Dee Gordon to Miami for Andrew Heaney. 

brandx

« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2014, 06:27:47 PM »
And, the Dodgers just traded Dee Gordon to Miami for Andrew Heaney. 

So does that mean Weeks gets $10 mil from LA  ;D

🏀

• All American
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2014, 07:09:38 PM »
I thought people went to Arizona to die, now they get acquired by the Dodgers.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2014, 12:00:44 AM »
Crazy day for the Dodgers, they spin Heaney to the Angels for Howie Kendrick. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2014, 07:13:41 AM »
And Kemp to the Padres

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2014, 07:17:29 AM »
And now sign Brandon McCarthy who I thought the Yankees were bound to resign.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2014, 09:38:49 AM »
Cespedes to the Tigers for Porcello
Bring back FFP!!!

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2014, 09:42:24 AM »
And now sign Brandon McCarthy who I thought the Yankees were bound to resign.

As a Cubs fan the Dodgers' financial might scared me but I always had the hope they would tie themselves to old, unproductive players on huge deals like the Yankees have because of Coletti.  Now that they have Friedman running things it is kind of scary. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2014, 10:09:46 AM »
Cespedes to the Tigers for Porcello

Red Sox trying to corner the market on number 3/4 starters
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2014, 10:11:18 AM »
Miami is apparently close to getting mat latos

This year's winter meetings certainly haven't been short on action.