[Today at 01:29:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 12:47:04 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Badgerhater
[Today at 11:58:05 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:43:15 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bennett Final 10: No Marquette  (Read 2698 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Bennett Final 10: No Marquette
« on: August 09, 2011, 11:01:07 AM »
Wow, the hits keep coming. Moments after seeing McGary didn't have us in his final 6, now Anthony Bennett, another Marquette target, doesn't have us in his final 10. His list has been shortened to Kentucky, Connecticut, West Virginia, Oregon, Pittsburgh, Florida, Missouri, Arkansas, Ohio State and Washington.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=2&cid=1093805&nid=4445136&fhn=1
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Bennett Final 10: No Marquette
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 11:17:32 AM »
Wow, the hits keep coming. Moments after seeing McGary didn't have us in his final 6, now Anthony Bennett, another Marquette target, doesn't have us in his final 10. His list has been shortened to Kentucky, Connecticut, West Virginia, Oregon, Pittsburgh, Florida, Missouri, Arkansas, Ohio State and Washington.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=2&cid=1093805&nid=4445136&fhn=1

Could say the hits keep coming, yet at the same time, I see being eliminated sooner than later having some benefit.  I believe it was Al McGuire who said the worst thing in a recruitment is a "maybe."  Going through the Rodney Hood/Nick Faust/etc..down to the wire only to not have them commit stings a lot more/costs a lot more than a Gabe York/McGary/Bennett removing us early in the process rather than later.

Obviously would have loved to have a commit from any of the above named guys - but at least this year we can sharpen our focus even more know that a few of these guys are off the board so to speak.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 11:17:39 AM »
I don't get why you people care so much. If a player doesn't have MU in there top 3 or 4, who cares! MU, was never in the running anyways.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 11:20:17 AM »
I don't get why you people care so much. If a player doesn't have MU in there top 3 or 4, who cares! MU, was never in the running anyways.

?-( We were frequently mentioned with both McGary and Bennett. Were we never in the running because we aren't on the list now? If Dunn or Cleare commit elsewhere today, would you say we were never in the running? Of course we were in the running.

And agreed, Ners...better sooner than later, but it's still disappointing knowing you're out of it for the exact types of guys you've been hoping for for years. Here's hoping Steve Taylor can become that big-time PF we need.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 01:03:27 PM »
It's like the horse, finishing last in a race.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Boone

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 01:04:11 PM »
We're just 48 hours removed from a really great get, so I can't be disappointed by this news. To put it in proper perspective, we have 3 commitments from 3 very good players, which is a far cry from where we were last year at this time: zero commitments.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 01:09:38 PM »
We're just 48 hours removed from a really great get, so I can't be disappointed by this news. To put it in proper perspective, we have 3 commitments from 3 very good players, which is a far cry from where we were last year at this time: zero commitments.

Exactly right! For all we know, Steve Taylor will be the best player out of McGary, Bennett, and Taylor. There are hundreds of rated recruits in the country, and the difference between these guys (depending on your source) is less than 90 spots. I'm not at all upset about this. In recruiting, you always lose more than you win. If you had told us we'd get one out of Taylor, McGary, and Bennett, I can't imagine who would have been upset with that ratio.

Get over it, let's hope for Dunn or Cleare.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 01:23:09 PM »
I still dont get why this stuff suprises people

It happens with every big recruit we are in on.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 01:29:04 PM »
I still dont get why this stuff suprises people

It happens with every big recruit we are in on.

What an idiotic comment. Junior, Vander, and Jamil were all RSCI top-50 recruits. Erik Williams, Jamail Jones, and Juan Anderson were both RSCI top-100. We're getting big recruits. The simple truth is no one gets all the big recruits. Even Duke, UNC, and Kentucky lose more recruiting battles than they win.

leever

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 02:39:21 PM »
It's like the horse, finishing last in a race.

Recruiting, and the horse race, if you're not first, well, you're not winning.  Unlike the horse race, in recruiting you get absolutely nothing for second or third.

Not so long ago we wouldn't have even been mentioned recruiting the same guys as UNC, IU, etc.  Now we have posters who are suicidal because we can "only" recruit top 100 players and maybe not top 10?

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 03:36:41 PM »
That is not True in regard to finishing 2nd, How come J Wilson and TJ Taylor picked MU?  Is it becuase we finished 9th?  We were very close on both the 1st time and that is why they opted for MU after things changed for them.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 11:41:20 PM »
What an idiotic comment. Junior, Vander, and Jamil were all RSCI top-50 recruits. Erik Williams, Jamail Jones, and Juan Anderson were both RSCI top-100. We're getting big recruits. The simple truth is no one gets all the big recruits. Even Duke, UNC, and Kentucky lose more recruiting battles than they win.

ANd yet vander was the only 5 star and hasnt proven anything yet. So i will clarify...we never get any of the big 5 stars we are in on that can come in and contributer FROM DAY 1 ONE.

Now you should keep the idiotic comments down. I didnt say all the big recruits, not once. I said NONE OF THEM.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 05:27:30 AM »
ANd yet vander was the only 5 star and hasnt proven anything yet. So i will clarify...we never get any of the big 5 stars we are in on that can come in and contributer FROM DAY 1 ONE.

Now you should keep the idiotic comments down. I didnt say all the big recruits, not once. I said NONE OF THEM.

You mean no one since DJ?  And why are you not counting Jae, DJO and Buycks as they all stepped in from day one?  Is it because they were Jucos?  Further, I do not recall Wes, Lazar and Jimmy stepping in from day 1 and their career after MU has been OK!

Maybe the rest don't step in right away because of the quality of the existing players?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 06:38:43 AM »

So you concede we brought in a 5-star in Vander, yet you reassert we got "NONE OF THEM"? So they only count as big recruits if they are studs from day one? Not every 5-star is a stud from day one. As mentioned by AnotherMU84, we also brought in James...he contributed from "DAY 1 ONE" (when you say that, do you mean the first day, or day eleven, I'm confused). McNeal, Hayward, Matthews all contributed from day one.

Oh...and Vander did contribute from day one. Yes, his stats dipped drastically in the Big East season, but look at the non-conference. He averaged 10.1 ppg, 2.9 apg, 3.2 rpg, and 2.0 spg. Pretty sure that would be count as contributing "FROM DAY 1 ONE", since he had a solid game both in game one against Prairie View (7 pts, 7 rebs, 5 asts, 4 stls, 3 blks) and against in game eleven against Centenary (16 pts, 9 rebs, 5 asts).

So again...idiotic. Honestly, you seem so dissatisfied by Marquette's recruiting, why do you even cheer for them?