[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[May 06, 2024, 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[May 06, 2024, 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Best Backcourt......  (Read 5814 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Best Backcourt......
« on: March 31, 2010, 07:34:18 PM »
Do you guys think in 2011 we have a shot to have 1 of the top backcourts in the country if we go 3 guards in DJO, Junior and Blue?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

79Warrior

• All American
Re: Best Backcourt......
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 07:39:34 PM »

Blue has yet to play, Junior was hurt. No way to have any idea how both will do on the big stage.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:57:41 PM »
No.  Expectations are WAY too high for Blue to go from H.S. to "best backcourt" in college.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 08:09:36 PM »
No kidding, thats why i am giving them both a year. When DJO is a senior most fully expect him to score 20 ppg and Junior would then be a Junior(no pun) and Blue a soph.

I dont care about what they have done, based on talent could they be the best?

Thats like saying John wall couldnt be a lottery pick because he was just coming from high school.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 08:18:10 PM »
No kidding, thats why i am giving them both a year. When DJO is a senior most fully expect him to score 20 ppg and Junior would then be a Junior(no pun) and Blue a soph.

I dont care about what they have done, based on talent could they be the best?

Thats like saying John wall couldnt be a lottery pick because he was just coming from high school.

So not 2011, but 2012.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 08:29:21 PM »

No it's not.  John Wall was a lottery pick out of high school, if not for the NBA rules.  To say that Blue, Junior and DJO will form to make the best backcourt is a much greater unknown.  I guess these are the conversations that take place in the early off-season. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 08:30:30 PM »
no, 2011. I guess you guys are looking at it differnt. This next season is 2010-2011. But it starts in 2010. The 2011 season I would be refering to is the one that starts in 2011. So in 2 years. They have 1 year of playing together, and then could they be one of the best?

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 09:37:32 PM »
Lets just see what happens next year before we start dreaming about 2 years from now.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 09:43:49 PM »
no, 2011. I guess you guys are looking at it differnt. This next season is 2010-2011. But it starts in 2010. The 2011 season I would be refering to is the one that starts in 2011. So in 2 years. They have 1 year of playing together, and then could they be one of the best?

Take either year. Still no chance.

scowwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 10:00:44 PM »
Yes.  DJO has spoken very highly of Junior's ability to run the point.  We need to remind ourselves that he was projected to be our starting PG prior to his injury. Blue is a capable guard that has a tremendous amount of talent and a huge upside.  Given the fact that they will see some high caliber teams pre-big east next year, I see them blossoming late in the season and doing exceptionally well in 2011.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 10:02:30 PM »
IN the country? Definitely not. They would not even be the best backcourt in the conference. That award will prob go to Syracuse - Triche, Scoop Jardine and incoming recruit Dion Waiters (who Ive seen play and was def an All-American snub. Built like a linebacker and makes a living playing above the rim. Man-child).

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 10:07:33 PM »
I am wondering if any of you even no how to read. I said ONE OF the best not the best. Scoop and trische? Please. Plus they are not bringing in anything this year to the level of our backcourt. Factor in that Cuse runs a two guard set and I think you have that answer. Scoop may even be gone after next year anyways, and if you talk to cuse fans they all hate how big of an idiot he is late in games anyways.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 10:16:49 PM »
I live in nyc so i get to see some aau games every now and then. And, I usually go with some syracuse friends which is why i know quite a bit about their program. Waiters has been playing with and against the very best. I have absolutely no reason to think he wont be better than Blue. Triche was recuited by KY, Kansas and UNC before he blew out his ACL his jr. year. Oh, and he dropped over 30 on Jonny Flynn when they were both in h.s. (despite the fact that he's 3 years younger). As for Scoop, this was his first "real" year. Was a medical redshirt all of last season and didnt play much his freshman year.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 10:43:18 PM »
I am wondering if any of you even no how to read. I said ONE OF the best not the best. Scoop and trische? Please. Plus they are not bringing in anything this year to the level of our backcourt. Factor in that Cuse runs a two guard set and I think you have that answer. Scoop may even be gone after next year anyways, and if you talk to cuse fans they all hate how big of an idiot he is late in games anyways.

They won't even be one of the fifteen best backcourts in the country.

And writing that Cuse won't bring anyone in "to the level of our backcourt" is just plain silly. Waiters is one of the best prep prospects on the coast. More then hold his own with either Cadougan or Blue. I cheerlead for our guys but your glasses are thick with gold.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 11:39:50 PM »
They won't even be one of the fifteen best backcourts in the country.

And writing that Cuse won't bring anyone in "to the level of our backcourt" is just plain silly. Waiters is one of the best prep prospects on the coast. More then hold his own with either Cadougan or Blue. I cheerlead for our guys but your glasses are thick with gold.

If we don't have one of the fifteen best backcourts 2 years from now something is very, very wrong.  Where would you put DJ Wes and Jerel last year?

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 11:56:54 PM »
You guys forget, blue will take us to the promise land!!
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 11:59:31 PM »
If DJO gets near 20 ppg like most expect he alone will make us in the 15 best as long as Blue and Junior dont turn it over every touch they gets

Unless you are expecting LeBron clones to take over college in 2 years

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 12:01:36 AM »
If DJO gets near 20 ppg like most expect he alone will make us in the 15 best as long as Blue and Junior dont turn it over every touch they gets

Exactly. I'm pretty sure "top backcourts" doesn't even go 15 deep.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 08:40:48 AM »

Do most people expect that? Really?

I was on the chin's wagon long before he suited up for game 1 but that's still a ways away. How about we see if he can be the lead guy next year before we pencil him in for 20 a night as a Senior, which isn't exactly the easiest thing to do in college.

Besides, just getting that number doesn't mean the backcourt as a whole is great. Harangody averaged 24 a game and did that alone have ND as one of the best frontcourts in the country this past season?

The other guy brings up our Seniors from last year. That's a great example. That backcourt's ceiling was probably around an #8 or #9 ranking in the country depending on who's writing the article. Some may have had them in the high teens.

To expect a guy who's never been the #1 option, a guy who can't go left, and a guy who's never played DI ball to be one of the best backcourts in the country starting in their 36th game together may be too much to ask.

I get we're all a little giddy after this past season, and it is the slow time, but still......

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 09:59:10 AM »
you actually think DJ, Wes adn Jerel were only 8 or 9? Name me a backcourt with 2 guys  scoring 18 ppg and another with 11 and being the assist guy.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 10:06:35 AM »
you actually think DJ, Wes adn Jerel were only 8 or 9? Name me a backcourt with 2 guys  scoring 18 ppg and another with 11 and being the assist guy.

You didn't say higher scoring, you said better.  For what's worth...here are better back courts than ours in 2008-2009.

UNC: Ellington & Lawson
Villanova: Reynolds, Redding, Anderson, & Stokes

Borderline:
Memphis: Evans & Anderson

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 10:10:05 AM »

While it is nice to project that everyone will get better next year, and it usually does occur it isn't safe to assume. DJ, McNeal, and Matthews were projected to get better every year, especially DJ. If DJ would have left for the league...I believe after his freshman year he would have been selected in the 2nd round of the draft.

We will have a good backcourt, but projecting something a year or even two years from now is ludicrous given who knows whether or not players go to the NBA, get hurt, transfer (god forbid), etc.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 10:11:10 AM »
Id take our guys over Novas anyday, its laughable you would say they are better.......our backcourt this year hung with nova

reinko

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 10:19:07 AM »
Id take our guys over Novas anyday, its laughable you would say they are better.......our backcourt this year hung with nova

I love the big 3, but those guys from Nova only went to the Final Four last year, and the Sweet Sixteen in 2008 while DJ, Wes, and 'Rel...well...never got out of the first weekend. 

Results matter.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, 10:33:13 AM »
They went to the final 4 with Guys like Cunningham who were huge to the success. Where did those guys go this year?

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 10:46:19 AM »
They went to the final 4 with Guys like Cunningham who were huge to the success. Where did those guys go this year?

As far as we went last year...

reinko

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 10:50:02 AM »

Dude, whatever.  The topic on hand is the 2008-2009 back court. And Villanova's guards last year were responsible for nearly 80% of their offense, and if I remember correctly, it was their guards who hit big shot after big shot to get them to the final 4. 

Try fact-based arguments, not just blowharding hyperbole.

So in plain English.  State your case why MU's guards last year were superior to Nova's.  I will consider those facts, then reply with agreeance or with a rebuttal.  Pretty easy.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 10:58:24 AM »
Maybe because the last time we played them they 1 by 1...........with james out. Head to head we did more. Both backcourts have 1 NBA talent

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 11:25:18 AM »
Maybe because the last time we played them they 1 by 1...........with james out. Head to head we did more. Both backcourts have 1 NBA talent

It's off base to claim both backcourts have "1 NBA talent" as evidence when Reynolds, Fisher, and Redding are still in college.

More importantly, could you speak to your belief that a player getting 20/night is enough for the entire backcourt to be considered one of the best? Did South Florida have one of the best in the country?

Finally, I'm starting to get a bit worried if you truly believe Dion Waiters of Cuse is nowhere near the talent of Cadougan and/or Blue as well as truly believing it's "laughable" to feel that Nova's backcourt last year was better then DJ, JM, and WM. It's a fair argument on either side. Certainly not laughable.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 01:37:15 AM »
I am wondering if any of you even no how to read. .

I love this, quickly followed by this

as long as Blue and Junior dont turn it over every touch they gets

feedback