[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[May 07, 2024, 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[May 07, 2024, 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: EV's  (Read 22189 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: EV's
« Reply #400 on: April 02, 2024, 08:45:21 AM »
EV's:  setting records for sales.  Sales not meeting expectations.  Both things are true.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #401 on: April 02, 2024, 10:37:25 AM »
EV's:  setting records for sales.  Sales not meeting expectations.  Both things are true.

Who sets the expectations?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #402 on: April 02, 2024, 07:32:19 PM »
Great to hear. The massive wind and solar scale up will not be able to handle the growth of demand by itself.

Big solar farm in Texas just got destroyed by a monster hail storm. hope they're covered this Summer for AC

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #403 on: April 02, 2024, 09:33:15 PM »
  Big solar farm in Texas just got destroyed by a monster hail storm. hope they're covered this Summer for AC

🤡

tower912

• All American
« Reply #404 on: April 03, 2024, 06:31:07 AM »
Damaged.   Still functioning and repairable.   Less impact than hurricanes hitting oil rigs.  Or a nuke plant near an earthquake fault.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 07:04:51 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #405 on: April 04, 2024, 08:45:58 PM »
The damage had an impact your examples are not impacting anything. You could also worry about a fire in a solar farm with a very impactful environmental disaster if we were postulating

tower912

• All American
« Reply #406 on: April 04, 2024, 09:10:19 PM »
Your grammar is odd and I am struggling  to follow your logic.   Are you arguing that the solar grid could produce a worse environmental disaster than the Deepwater Horizon or the Fukushima power plant?   Or that oil rigs in the gulf aren't shut down during bad weather?  Which is the equivalent of what is happening with this solar farm.
How about the water problems in west Texas?

But first, help me with your grammar

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #407 on: April 05, 2024, 10:15:09 AM »
I’m not arguing at all. Your examples are less likely than solar panels being damaged by things such as severe storms or tornadoes.
I don’t get the aggression when I merely reported something that happened and expressed concern because I have friends in Texas who rely on a/c because of the heat and humidity. Texas has had supply problems in the past.  Ad hominem attacks do not constitute an effective rebuttal  and I’m comfortable with my grammar.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #408 on: April 05, 2024, 10:45:28 AM »
Maybe Texas should connect to other grids then

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #409 on: April 05, 2024, 10:50:07 AM »
Occasional burst pipes and brownouts are a small price to pay for freedom my friend.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #410 on: April 05, 2024, 10:56:49 AM »
"Energy supplied by Source X is subject to external Interruptions Y. Therefore we should not pursue energy supplied by Source X."

I, humbly, submit this is not a bulletproof argument. However, to the extent that you care to hear anything other than something to confirm your prior/pre-existing conclusion "solar is unreliable and therefore bad" then might I suggest:

Energy supplied by Solar is subject to external weather-related interruptions. Energy supplied by Wind is subject to external weather-related interruptions. Energy supplied by Petroleum is subject to external weather (and occasionally geo-political) interruptions. Developing an infrastructure that allows the use of the first two to reduce reliance on the last one while maintaining a diverse supply that is sufficient to "weather" (sorry) the interruptions that are unavoidable in energy production by any means is a responsible policy and, in fact, superior to exclusively relying on any one energy source to the exclusion of the others.

Put more simply, the fact that weather can interfere with solar power production is hardly an argument that solar power should not be developed.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #411 on: April 05, 2024, 12:45:01 PM »
While driving in Scottsdale this morning, we passed a Cybertruck - the first MuskTruck I've seen in the wild.

Even uglier and less functional looking than the photos I'd seen had suggested.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that yesterday we also saw a Waymo vehicle. It was a Jaguar and yep, no driver. First time I'd seen that, too. Very bizarre.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 02:06:15 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #412 on: April 05, 2024, 12:49:51 PM »
Occasional burst pipes and brownouts are a small price to pay for freedom my friend.
And if a certain number of people have to occasionally freeze to death or die of heat stroke, well it's worth it to keep Texas' grid pure.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #413 on: April 05, 2024, 12:52:35 PM »
Friend has a Porsche Taycan Turbo S. That, my fellow scoopers, is what all EV's should strive for.

• All American
« Reply #414 on: April 05, 2024, 12:56:20 PM »
And if a certain number of people have to occasionally freeze to death or die of heat stroke, well it's worth it to keep Texas' grid pure.

I was reading up on the history of the grid this morning because...why not?

And the funniest thing I saw was that at one point, they had to import power from Mexico for a couple of days. The jokes just write themsevles huh?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #415 on: April 05, 2024, 01:50:10 PM »
It’s interesting, because Texas is installing preposterous amounts of wind energy right now. But the ones that currently exist are very poorly run. There’s a big problem with convincing Texas technicians to work on a wind farm. (That and “border protection” vigilantes driving through them and firing off weapons and shutting them down but that’s a different problem) The stigma of them in oil country runs pretty strong for something that combined with new battery storage tech would help smooth some of the extremes out.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #416 on: April 05, 2024, 01:56:40 PM »
It’s interesting, because Texas is installing preposterous amounts of wind energy right now. But the ones that currently exist are very poorly run. There’s a big problem with convincing Texas technicians to work on a wind farm. (That and “border protection” vigilantes driving through them and firing off weapons and shutting them down but that’s a different problem) The stigma of them in oil country runs pretty strong for something that combined with new battery storage tech would help smooth some of the extremes out.

Everything is bigger in Texas, especially the idiots
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #417 on: April 05, 2024, 02:20:53 PM »
Friend has a Porsche Taycan Turbo S. That, my fellow scoopers, is what all EV's should strive for.

The benchmark in the EV space is the lucid Sapphire

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #418 on: April 05, 2024, 02:30:33 PM »
Ahhh, good ole gasoline.

With it, we can go anywhere, do about anything legal and generally not worry about it. An entire economy is built on its refinement, transport, distribution and consumption. It's the American way!!!!

It's good stuff.... man. It makes a blue BMW run with incredible German efficiency. You can burn it. You can drink it if you're drunk enough, though I wouldn't recommend it. Certain religions can use it to start burning heretics at the stake. Sure beats more conventional means of burning infidels!

Think of a world without gasoline. We'd be dependent on transit authorities with such bizarre names as "WeGo" or "Marta" or "DART". My God, without gasoline and its kissin' cousins, diesel fuel and kerosene (Jet "A"), we might have to, God forbid, be reliant on uhhhh, uhhhh, Amtrak. Oh, the pain!

Without gasoline, Los Angeles might not exist as we know it. And, could society really exist without Los Angeles in its current form? I doubt it!!!!

As my 17 gallon tank of gasoline said to the nearby Tesla battery, "The reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated!"

• All American
« Reply #419 on: April 05, 2024, 02:31:14 PM »
Ahhh, good ole gasoline.

With it, we can go anywhere, do about anything legal and generally not worry about it. An entire economy is built on its refinement, transport, distribution and consumption. It's the American way!!!!

It's good stuff.... man. It makes a blue BMW run with incredible German efficiency. You can burn it. You can drink it if you're drunk enough, though I wouldn't recommend it. Certain religions can use it to start burning heretics at the stake. Sure beats more conventional means of burning infidels!

Think of a world without gasoline. We'd be dependent on transit authorities with such bizarre names as "WeGo" or "Marta" or "DART". My God, without gasoline and its kissin' cousins, diesel fuel and kerosene (Jet "A"), we might have to, God forbid, be reliant on uhhhh, uhhhh, Amtrak. Oh, the pain!

Without gasoline, Los Angeles might not exist as we know it. And, could society really exist without Los Angeles in its current form? I doubt it!!!!

As my 17 gallon tank of gasoline said to the nearby Tesla battery, "The reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated!"

Uh...thanks?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #420 on: April 05, 2024, 02:33:20 PM »

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #421 on: April 05, 2024, 04:01:17 PM »
Anytime there Brother Satan!

I thought they took the lead out of it

Goose

• All American
« Reply #422 on: April 05, 2024, 04:21:59 PM »
dgies

Fill that BMW up and hit the road!!

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #423 on: April 05, 2024, 05:05:26 PM »
Can’t afford it in da buffoon’s economy

Goose

• All American
« Reply #424 on: April 05, 2024, 05:57:19 PM »
I agree on the economy. I am sitting at a popular Mexican place and 90% of the tables are empty. I was here last year on a weeknight and had an hour wait. Fortunately, I think dgies can fill it up!!