Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Waters for Dawson.  (Read 11157 times)

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
Re: The Waters for Dawson.
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2021, 02:21:01 PM »
Basketball redefined by MUScoop.  Lets make the ball out of superball material too!

Let's try it in bowling first
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2021, 03:35:47 PM »
Yeah, 30 sec, releasable on a score foul. Other brilliant idea would be hockey/lacrosse substitutions. You could literally have someone like Theo running Davante strolling back for D and take him off on the fly.
Fixed
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2021, 03:37:39 PM »
Fixed

Shouldn't you change the D to an O then?
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2021, 07:33:10 PM »
Shouldn't you change the D to an O then?
I see I misunderstood your meaning. I read it as having Theo run off the court as he goes back on D...which of course makes no sense in retrospect. My bad.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2021, 09:59:33 PM »
But players think differently than they did even 10-15 years ago.

Well, 15 years ago, the NBA and its players association agreed to a CBA that required athletes to play at least one year post-HS.

In the 5+ years before that, lots of players who were nowhere near ready for the NBA skipped college entirely to make a go of the pros. A few succeeded spectacularly; most did not.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2021, 10:16:09 AM »
When does Dawson need to decide if he staying in the draft or coming back by? Isn't it like late April?
Maigh Eo for Sam

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2021, 10:17:55 AM »
When does Dawson need to decide if he staying in the draft or coming back by? Isn't it like late April?

I don't think the exact date is set yet...I thought I heard it's early July some time.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2021, 10:18:57 AM »
I don't think the exact date is set yet...I thought I heard it's early July some time.

July 7, I believe.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2021, 10:19:29 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2021, 10:21:52 AM »
Yes, we could be on pins and needles over DG for quite some time.

Or he could get all the feedback he needs to make a decision well before 7/19. That would be nice.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2021, 10:22:03 AM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2021, 10:23:17 AM »

Looks like the withdrawal date is July 19.

https://247sports.com/Article/NBA-Draft-dates-college-basketball-early-entry-withdrawal-date-Cade-Cunningham-Evan-Mobley-Jalen-Suggs-163307121/

That said, I thought it was 10 days from after combine for NCAA purposes thus how i got july 7

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2021, 10:26:59 AM »
Woof, July 7th eh?  That's a long time to hold that spot open, especially with the transfer market this offseason and now only having 1 spot to play with.  Almost gotta operate assuming he's gone and if he comes back, its gonna suck for someone at the end of the roster. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2021, 10:27:21 AM »
That said, I thought it was 10 days from after combine for NCAA purposes thus how i got july 7

You might be right. Either way, it's an awfully long time.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2021, 10:43:31 AM »

You might be right. Either way, it's an awfully long time.

Dawson isn't close to being NBA material right now.  He doesn't have the athleticism to play great defense and nothing of his offensive skillset is NBA quality right now.  If drafted, you'd be hoping he develops his offensive game in the G league.  The only way he stays on any court is if his offensive game becomes elite there.  Right now, he can't get his own shot.  Dawson isn't even ranked in top 100 NBA draft prospects.  He'll be back next season.  If he makes a huge jump he's probably gone after that.  If his development is more "paced" then probably a 50/50 shot he enters and is probably a 2nd rounder -rotational at best type player off the bench. 

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2021, 10:46:02 AM »
Dawson isn't close to being NBA material right now.  He doesn't have the athleticism to play great defense and nothing of his offensive skillset is NBA quality right now.  If drafted, you'd be hoping he develops his offensive game in the G league.  The only way he stays on any court is if his offensive game becomes elite there.  Right now, he can't get his own shot.  Dawson isn't even ranked in top 100 NBA draft prospects.  He'll be back next season.  If he makes a huge jump he's probably gone after that.  If his development is more "paced" then probably a 50/50 shot he enters and is probably a 2nd rounder -rotational at best type player off the bench.

Feel like we were saying the same thing about Vander Blue years ago. Can't say he made the right choice, but he still chose to stay in the draft. You never know what's going on inside a 19 year old's head.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2021, 10:46:40 AM »

Totally agree. But we have seen quite a few examples of the NBA drafting based on potential, not fully refined skills. And Dawson has plenty of NBA potential.

I very much hope he returns, but I won't be shocked either way.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2021, 10:47:11 AM »
Feel like we were saying the same thing about Vander Blue years ago. Can't say he made the right choice, but he still chose to stay in the draft. You never know what's going on inside a 19 year old's head.

Vander blue at least had a legit shot at being a second round pick. Not a great shot but a shot. Dawson doesn't have a shot.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2021, 10:47:51 AM »
A year of playing faster would help Garcia. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2021, 10:50:09 AM »
A year of playing faster would help Garcia.

Honestly, time to mature a bit will help him too. I expect him to take a big leap from Frosh to Soph year if he stays. Especially in a system that will put him less in the low post and allow him to create off the pick and roll (and lead to more spot up shots from the PNR).

tower912

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2021, 11:10:52 AM »
Honestly, time to mature a bit will help him too. I expect him to take a big leap from Frosh to Soph year if he stays. Especially in a system that will put him less in the low post and allow him to create off the pick and roll (and lead to more spot up shots from the PNR).

He didn't play all that much low post.   He played a lot more high post in the 3-out/2-in sets, generally setting the initial high pick.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2021, 11:13:15 AM »
He didn't play all that much low post.   He played a lot more high post in the 3-out/2-in sets, generally setting the initial high pick.

Then my eye test failed. It always felt he was stuck there in games. Felt like a waste.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2021, 11:23:50 AM »
He would get there during the ball movement and offensive rotations.  A couple of ball reversals and picks and late in the clock he would get the ball on the block.  He rarely started there.     

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2021, 11:32:22 AM »
There is very little reason DG will not get the NBA feedback relatively quickly.   He will make a decision well before the deadline.