[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Jay Bee
[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: VCWho?  (Read 665 times)

Eldon

• All American
VCWho?
« on: March 27, 2014, 10:26:01 PM »

Ah, yes, a team that was number 6 in the rankings one time or other.

Anyone else really annoyed by these guys?  Go over to their board.  It's like the Chucky f*cking Cheese of basketball forums.  I swear there's not a person there over 28.  They honestly troll the Wake board and then come back to their lair and snicker about it.

If you still don't know who they are, they will tell you.  Literally.  It's on their backs.  Here is the inaugural game that they had HAVOC printed on the warm up shirts game against Temple (where the rams got destroyed, btw)

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=330690218

They will also tell you that they are a great fanbase, easily the best in Virginia.  They will tout their X game sellout streak.  Well here are some numbers to consider

VCU attendance over the past ten years. National rank in parentheses
2013: 7,693 (62)
2012: 7,622 (70)
2011: 6,645 (80)
2010: 6,000 (91)
2009: 6,106 (87)
2008: 6,169 (91)
2007: 5,640 (98)
2006: 5,369 (100)
2005: 5,355 (96) *Note Richmond is 97th, with 5,178
2004: 4,640 (>100)
2003: 3,850 (>100)

At roughly 50% capacity in 2003.  Now compare that to Dayton who is consistently in the top 30 despite pathetic on-court performance, year in and year out.  We may hate Dayton fans, but they're loyal as hell.  I don't mind bandwagon fanbases, it pervades every sport and every school to some extent.  But don't tell me that you have one of the best fanbases in all of America.  That's false.

Finally, their insecurity really shines through if you call them the dreaded "commuter school."  They are vehement about this.  Now, I for one hate using academic rank to judge a school when the topic of the conversation is sports.  I mean, after all, it is completely irrelevant.  They have told us over, and over, and over and over and over and over (on Holylandofhoops) that ~79% of students live on campus or walking distance.  Well, according to the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, VCU is solidly "primarily nonresidential."  What does that mean?  It means "fewer than 25% of degree-seeking students live on campus (http://classifications.carnegiefoundation.org/descriptions/size_setting.php).  I think when they quote ~79% they're including houses near campus.  But every university is going to have nearby off-campus housing, but it's not counted in the official data.  If it were, then the notion of "commuter school" would cease to exist.

You can look up any institution here
http://classifications.carnegiefoundation.org/lookup_listings/institution.php
Type in the name of the institution that you want to see.  The Carnegie Foundation is the gold standard among academics for looking up such matters.

Again, I want to stress that I do not point this out to disparage the academic quality of the school--the distributions of intellectual ability for all not-for-profit universities overlap somewhere.  I simply point it out to illustrate their delusion.

Each school that Shaka passes on only strengthens their devotion to him.  I would bet it's at JoePa level of proportions right about now.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 10:28:05 PM by Eldon »

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
Re: VCWho?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 10:58:01 PM »
I appreciate the due diligence done on this post.  A great Meme would be a giant beer bottle hanging next to the banners that have Larry Sanders name and jersey number. 

feedback