[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2021-22 Big East Conference Results  (Read 216651 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2021-22 Big East Conference Results
« Reply #1975 on: March 30, 2022, 08:48:12 AM »
Buzz backs up his harsh criticism of the NCAA committee by pummeling Oregon, Wake Forest, and Washington State by 15.

A&M got shafted not getting into the NCAA.  Guys who can coach, can coach.  No surprise to see Buzz once again having March success.  I suspect they'll beat Xavier for the championship.  Their late season surge has A&M up to 33 in Ken Pom.

Eh, the whole season counts so it doesn't matter if you were hot in the end.  Don't lose 8 in a row and put yourself on the bubble.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1976 on: March 30, 2022, 08:50:29 AM »
Buzz backs up his harsh criticism of the NCAA committee by pummeling Oregon, Wake Forest, and Washington State by 15.

A&M got shafted not getting into the NCAA.  Guys who can coach, can coach.  No surprise to see Buzz once again having March success.  I suspect they'll beat Xavier for the championship.  Their late season surge has A&M up to 33 in Ken Pom.

Maybe he should play someone in the non conference.  Or maybe the coach who can coach should've coached his team up to not go on an 8 game losing streak (and 9 out of 10) in conference.

The fact of the matter is that if your team isn't good enough to safely make the Tournament, you have nobody to blame but yourself.  A lot of average basketball teams make the NCAA Tournament.  If you can't make it in safely you didn't get shafted, you did it to yourself.

But congrats to him on winning a bunch of exhibition games.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1977 on: March 30, 2022, 08:53:20 AM »
Losing in the first round of the NCAAs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Winning the NIT.

From a 10 years down the line perspective, when Greg Gumbel is saying "...and seeking back-to-back Final Fours we have the 2-seed in the Midwest, Marquette, who has made the NCAA Tournament in every season under head coach Shaka Smart" I agree. That said, the NIT run in 2018 at the Al was a ton of fun. Far more fun than watching us get hammered by South Carolina, Murray State, or North Carolina. I understand the NIT doesn't have nearly the exposure, but as far as the fan experience goes, partaking in those games deep into March is a lot more fun than getting blasted on day one and having nothing left to cheer for.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1978 on: March 30, 2022, 09:01:01 AM »
That said, the NIT run in 2018 at the Al was a ton of fun. Far more fun than watching us get hammered by South Carolina, Murray State, or North Carolina. I understand the NIT doesn't have nearly the exposure, but as far as the fan experience goes, partaking in those games deep into March is a lot more fun than getting blasted on day one and having nothing left to cheer for.

Agreed, in hindsight, a few NIT wins would have been more fun - and I don't think that makes fans dumb, lol.  But of course, in terms of coaching grades, making the NCAA tournament was more important (and financially impactful) than the NIT, or even a possible first round loss in the NIT - yikes!

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #1979 on: March 30, 2022, 09:02:58 AM »
From a 10 years down the line perspective, when Greg Gumbel is saying "...and seeking back-to-back Final Fours we have the 2-seed in the Midwest, Marquette, who has made the NCAA Tournament in every season under head coach Shaka Smart" I agree. That said, the NIT run in 2018 at the Al was a ton of fun. Far more fun than watching us get hammered by South Carolina, Murray State, or North Carolina. I understand the NIT doesn't have nearly the exposure, but as far as the fan experience goes, partaking in those games deep into March is a lot more fun than getting blasted on day one and having nothing left to cheer for.

I’ll respectfully disagree that 2018 was exciting. I was really bummed that the team didn’t make the tournament with Howard, Rowsey and Hauser and thought it was a huge step back from the previous season.

It did seem like there was a ton of excitement around that NIT run and I can’t recall why the fan sentiment was so high after missing the dance. Maybe there’s nothing more to it than people were just excited we had some young players on the roster with some good potential.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1980 on: March 30, 2022, 09:10:48 AM »
I understand the thinking that a team that fades late in the year is going to be worse next season and a team that rises later is going to be better next season...but I don't actually know if there's any real correlation between the two. Would be interesting to look at past teams who faded or improved down the stretch and see how they did the following season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1981 on: March 30, 2022, 09:12:17 AM »
The NIT is of zero joy for me.

Getting spanked in the NCAA also brings zero joy

But selection sunday and watching the reveal with your team being called? Lot of fun. The week leading up to that first round beatdown. Lot of fun.

If the end result is gonna be zero joy either way. Im gonna choose the path that has fun and joy leading up to the rock bottom momentum
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

mug644

• All American
« Reply #1982 on: March 30, 2022, 09:14:14 AM »
I’ll respectfully disagree that 2018 was exciting. I was really bummed that the team didn’t make the tournament with Howard, Rowsey and Hauser and thought it was a huge step back from the previous season.

It did seem like there was a ton of excitement around that NIT run and I can’t recall why the fan sentiment was so high after missing the dance. Maybe there’s nothing more to it than people were just excited we had some young players on the roster with some good potential.

I think part of the excitement of that 2018 NIT run was that the games were at The Al. There's a steady clamoring for a few home games to be played there, and it turned out that they were meaningful (as compared to buy games) so created a lot of enthusiasm.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1983 on: March 30, 2022, 09:14:19 AM »

Were you in the building for the games? It was a tough ticket and they were selling well over face value on the secondary market, but the Al was electric to be in. In terms of gameday energy and experience, I would put it up there with any of the best days at the BC or Fiserv. In the past 20 years, the only clear better atmosphere I've been in for a live game was Minneapolis in 2003. It wasn't as loud as Jake's shot against Syracuse, didn't have quite the euphoric after-effects of Nova in 2017, but from whistle to whistle those games were awesome to be at.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1984 on: March 30, 2022, 09:15:41 AM »
Were you in the building for the games? It was a tough ticket and they were selling well over face value on the secondary market, but the Al was electric to be in. In terms of gameday energy and experience, I would put it up there with any of the best days at the BC or Fiserv. In the past 20 years, the only clear better atmosphere I've been in for a live game was Minneapolis in 2003. It wasn't as loud as Jake's shot against Syracuse, didn't have quite the euphoric after-effects of Nova in 2017, but from whistle to whistle those games were awesome to be at.

Yeah the arena size is better.  That's the only thing better about it though.  The Fiserv is awesome, but it's also too big for college basketball.  Get an 8,000-10,000 seat on campus arena and every game would have the same atmosphere as the NIT games, but the regular season games would actually mean something.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1985 on: March 30, 2022, 09:26:09 AM »
Yeah the arena size is better.  That's the only thing better about it though.  The Fiserv is awesome, but it's also too big for college basketball.  Get an 8,000-10,000 seat on campus arena and every game would have the same atmosphere as the NIT games, but the regular season games would actually mean something.

We're back to this huh?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1986 on: March 30, 2022, 09:34:34 AM »

I'm not advocating to playing at the Al, or advocating for a 10,000 seat arena, as there are significant drawbacks to go along with the benefits, but the actual experience was fantastic. Does a NCAA bid even in a blowout loss have more prestige? Sure. But the actual fan experience for a few NIT wins is far better in the moment.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1987 on: March 30, 2022, 09:38:21 AM »
We're back to this huh?

I'm not saying it will ever happen, or even should (kind of depends on the rent that the NY billionaires are charging).  But for the best college basketball viewing experience, 8,000-10,000 seat arenas are without question better than huge NBA arenas.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1988 on: March 30, 2022, 09:53:12 AM »
The NIT is an irrelevant tournament. There's a reason MSG just booted it from the calendar.

Keeping this on topic is that Xavier proved how worthless the tournament is in the grand scheme with their decision.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1989 on: March 30, 2022, 10:02:19 AM »
I'm not saying it will ever happen, or even should (kind of depends on the rent that the NY billionaires are charging).  But for the best college basketball viewing experience, 8,000-10,000 seat arenas are without question better than huge NBA arenas.

They could triple the rent and it still wouldn't make fiscal sense for MU to build and operate it's own arena.

I want nothing to do with an on-campus facility. MU has an incredibly unique situation. Pro arena, great amenities, better game production capabilities. Bars/dining right there, all a manageable walk/short shuttle ride from campus.

I couldn't care less if the capacity is a few thousand too many. MU is in a great spot.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #1990 on: March 30, 2022, 10:04:33 AM »
The NIT stinks. I can’t believe this is being seriously discussed.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #1991 on: March 30, 2022, 10:23:38 AM »

I was there and recall having plenty of room around me, so not sure it was even a sellout.  And the place holds 5000?  So was there some excitement?  Of course, hell, I went.  But to think we would have drawn 15,000 at the big building isn't realistic.  A core base of fans will follow this team in the NIT, but the majority won't.  And if you think the local media doesn't pay attention to Marquette, making it to the NIT FF won't move the needle much at all.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1992 on: March 30, 2022, 10:25:40 AM »
Watching the games on television, they were fine.  It's always good to watch Marquette basketball.  But they didn't move the needle much for me other than thinking "that's nice."  I couldn't tell you right now who they beat...I know they lost to Penn State.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #1993 on: March 30, 2022, 10:29:20 AM »
They could triple the rent and it still wouldn't make fiscal sense for MU to build and operate it's own arena.

I want nothing to do with an on-campus facility. MU has an incredibly unique situation. Pro arena, great amenities, better game production capabilities. Bars/dining right there, all a manageable walk/short shuttle ride from campus.

I couldn't care less if the capacity is a few thousand too many. MU is in a great spot.
Agreed.  I was at those games at The Al for the NIT.  Sure the crowds were great, but the negatives far outweighed that.  Consider that game at the BC against Western Michigan in the NIT.  That was a a desolate feeling.  Sometimes things just work out ok for on campus games in the NIT, but……
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 10:38:17 AM by Nukem2 »

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #1994 on: March 30, 2022, 10:41:15 AM »
Plus no $14 beer at the AL
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1995 on: March 30, 2022, 10:45:27 AM »
Watching the games on television, they were fine.  It's always good to watch Marquette basketball.  But they didn't move the needle much for me other than thinking "that's nice."  I couldn't tell you right now who they beat...I know they lost to Penn State.

This is pretty much where I was on this. I’d always rather be in the NCAAs - always.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1996 on: March 30, 2022, 10:47:20 AM »
But if you win the NIT, you’re the 69th best team in the nation, which is nice
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1997 on: March 30, 2022, 11:17:38 AM »
Good article on X win last night over The Bonnies. Commentary on how it felt like a road game with all the Bonnie faithful who showed up at the game.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/xavier/xaviersports/2022/03/29/nit-championship-xavier-musketeers-beat-st-bonaventure-advance/7210882001/
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #1998 on: March 30, 2022, 12:39:36 PM »

No, and that probably has a lot to do with it. I checked tickets and they were indeed over $100 (3x the face or whatever), so I’m not surprised it was a good atmosphere in the arena. More just wondering why that was the case given the disappointing end. I did a lot of traveling to conference road games that year so maybe I was just worn down by the end.

I wish they could play a few of those buy games at the Al when the students are gone. I’ve stopped going to them at Fiserv, but would definitely consider if it was at the Al.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1999 on: March 30, 2022, 01:11:22 PM »

I wish they could play a few of those buy games at the Al when the students are gone. I’ve stopped going to them at Fiserv, but would definitely consider if it was at the Al.

I think that went off the board when we played Alabama A&M. The NCAA initially said that game at the Al wouldn't count toward average attendance. But then they changed their mind after the game was played and Marquette lost their streak of top-15 attendance seasons.

feedback