[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2021-22 Big East Conference Results  (Read 216661 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: 2021-22 Big East Conference Results
« Reply #550 on: December 16, 2021, 11:54:22 AM »
Seton Hall has to cancel their game against Iona this weekend (doubheader with SJU/Pitt at MSG) and their next game at home against St. John's is in doubt. COVID.

My guess is that cancelling Iona is easy because it goes down as nothing in their record. I'd be surprised if they cancel their game against St. John's since it will count as a conference loss. Unless they really don't have 5 players not in the COVID protocol.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #551 on: December 16, 2021, 11:59:57 AM »
I'd be surprised if they cancel their game against St. John's since it will count as a conference loss. Unless they really don't have 5 players not in the COVID protocol.

Agreed, and even though I may have wagered that no games would be forfeited, I guess if they have 5 players but would be non-competitive with those players they may just elect to forfeit.  But I'm still guessing the SJU game will happen.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #552 on: December 16, 2021, 12:21:05 PM »
Agreed, and even though I may have wagered that no games would be forfeited, I guess if they have 5 players but would be non-competitive with those players they may just elect to forfeit.  But I'm still guessing the SJU game will happen.

FYI, the Big East rule is seven scholarship players are needed to be active to play a game.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #553 on: December 16, 2021, 12:22:27 PM »
FYI, the Big East rule is seven scholarship players are needed to be active to play a game.

All must be scholarship?

Edit:  Also smart of SHU to get this over with before the conference season!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #554 on: December 16, 2021, 12:54:25 PM »
If Omicron gets bad enough, I wonder if the Big East will change its Covid-related rules.

Punishing fully vaccinated teams doesn't seem very fair.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #555 on: December 16, 2021, 03:02:00 PM »
If Omicron gets bad enough, I wonder if the Big East will change its Covid-related rules.

Punishing fully vaccinated teams doesn't seem very fair.

If college had the same testing as the pro leagues a lot of games would be canceled.    Omicron is highly contagious but Delta is still the major problem as far as hospitalizations and deaths.  If we do not get to a point where people realize this is now endemic, and we have to adapt, we're going to never really get through it. 

Vaccines will clearly have to be tweaked pretty regularly.  Vaccinated people are getting Omicron.  That said our obsession with positive cases is silly at this point.  It tells us nothing and leads to more fear.  We still do not seem to know the zero prevalence rate but obviously a huge number of people who have gotten COVID, and its variants, are asymptomatic.  If the goal now is to thwart positive tests in sports leagues versus the rest of society it's not particularly useful.  I mean do we really want to get to a point where every person is tested or self-tests every day regardless if they feel sick or not?  Should we test our dogs and cats every day?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #556 on: December 16, 2021, 03:34:41 PM »
If college had the same testing as the pro leagues a lot of games would be canceled.    Omicron is highly contagious but Delta is still the major problem as far as hospitalizations and deaths.  If we do not get to a point where people realize this is now endemic, and we have to adapt, we're going to never really get through it. 

Vaccines will clearly have to be tweaked pretty regularly.  Vaccinated people are getting Omicron.  That said our obsession with positive cases is silly at this point.  It tells us nothing and leads to more fear.  We still do not seem to know the zero prevalence rate but obviously a huge number of people who have gotten COVID, and its variants, are asymptomatic.  If the goal now is to thwart positive tests in sports leagues versus the rest of society it's not particularly useful.  I mean do we really want to get to a point where every person is tested or self-tests every day regardless if they feel sick or not?  Should we test our dogs and cats every day?

I would agree that focusing on positives would be "silly" if it weren't for the fact that Wisconsin's hospitals have more Covid patients in them at any time since January and the weekly death tolls are rising.  Throughout this pandemic, positives have been a precursor to more bad stuff happening.  And that's not good.

And it's not endemic.  Too many people are saying that out of wishful thinking rather than actual science.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #557 on: December 16, 2021, 04:10:41 PM »

I would agree that focusing on positives would be "silly" if it weren't for the fact that Wisconsin's hospitals have more Covid patients in them at any time since January and the weekly death tolls are rising.  Throughout this pandemic, positives have been a precursor to more bad stuff happening.  And that's not good.

And it's not endemic.  Too many people are saying that out of wishful thinking rather than actual science.
I think it will become an endemic for the vaccinated...which is all but 15% of adults...and children aren't heavily affected by the disease.  I'm not sure the endemic language is wishful thinking versus science.  The NY Times referred to it as an endemic in quoting lead doctors/researchers and referenced that for the vaccinated this is may not be any more concerning than the flu.

For the unvaccinated...well you can't fix stupid. 

From the NY Times:

Endemic - As Dr. Monica Gandhi and Dr. Leslie Bienen, two public health experts, wrote in a recent Times Opinion article, “America is in the slow process of accepting that Covid-19 will become endemic — meaning it will always be present in the population at varying levels.”

Severity - If that continues to be true, it will mean that Omicron — like earlier variants — presents only a very small risk of serious illness to most vaccinated people. It is the kind of risk that people accept every day without reordering their lives, not so different from the chances of hospitalization or death from the flu or a car crash.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #558 on: December 16, 2021, 05:31:04 PM »
Gents, while I appreciated this conversation started as part of BE games potentially getting cancelled, I must request you move it to the whole board dedicated to covid.  The topic has proven to be quite polarizing and charged on the hoops board.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?board=15.0

Back to BE conference results.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #559 on: December 16, 2021, 06:20:46 PM »
Truth.  Been struggling with that.  They're not getting updated through the sports-reference API, and I'm trying to figure out how to force an update.   Probably a cache issue.

OK, I think I got it.  We'll find out after the Nova / Creighton game tomorrow.  It still usually takes a bit before sports-reference updates their data.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #560 on: December 17, 2021, 11:39:45 AM »
Interesting news from a NYC sports reporter. It could just be smoke, but who knows with Seton Hall and Kevin Willard:

So from what I’m hearing Seton Hall has enough healthy players to play. BUT they are choosing to not play because of some Covid cases. And they will mark the game as a forfeit to #SJUBB Monday and avoid penalties (ie losing, etc). How is it fair for teams who need these games?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

fjm

• All American
« Reply #561 on: December 17, 2021, 11:46:10 AM »
Interesting news from a NYC sports reporter. It could just be smoke, but who knows with Seton Hall and Kevin Willard:

So from what I’m hearing Seton Hall has enough healthy players to play. BUT they are choosing to not play because of some Covid cases. And they will mark the game as a forfeit to #SJUBB Monday and avoid penalties (ie losing, etc). How is it fair for teams who need these games?

Dumb by the hall.

But it does beg the question. Do you play the system and forfeit against a team like nova? Where we have a low chance of winning. It wipes a L off.

Wait. I just realized it doesn’t wipe an L off. You still get an L. But I wonder if it gets put in as a 2-0 Loss.

So that looks way better in NET than a 65-52 loss.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #562 on: December 17, 2021, 11:55:53 AM »
Dumb by the hall.

But it does beg the question. Do you play the system and forfeit against a team like nova? Where we have a low chance of winning. It wipes a L off.

Wait. I just realized it doesn’t wipe an L off. You still get an L. But I wonder if it gets put in as a 2-0 Loss.

So that looks way better in NET than a 65-52 loss.
I'm not sure it's necessarily dumb, but if true, it's a really garbage move by them.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #563 on: December 17, 2021, 11:59:23 AM »

If true, Big East needs to step in. Find some penalty for intentionally taking a forfeit when one was not needed.
TAMU

• All American
« Reply #564 on: December 17, 2021, 12:00:52 PM »
How can you avoid the penalty of losing when you have to forfeit?  Should that be considered a flat out loss?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #565 on: December 17, 2021, 12:02:35 PM »
How can you avoid the penalty of losing when you have to forfeit?  Should that be considered a flat out loss?

Guessing the idea is that a covid forfeit would be viewed in a more positive light than losing to a lesser team because you're playing down several players. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #566 on: December 17, 2021, 12:30:58 PM »

Any Big East team that has to forfeit due to COVID takes a loss. I'd imagine it's marked officially as a 2-0 loss, which is fine for teams that legitimately can't field a team (7 players minimum).

Seton Hall supposedly has at least 7 players to play, meaning they don't have to forfeit. But let's say for argument that they have only three players out with COVID but those players are Jared Rhoden, Alexis Yetna, and Tyrese Samuel. Seton Hall may decide it's better to take a 2-0 loss to SJU than play them without three of their best players and possibly get blown out. Chances are the committee won't punish teams with COVID issues too harshly, but they will punish a team that gets blown out by a middle of the pack conference team. It helps Seton Hall but hurts St. John's because I doubt the committee would reward them at all for a 2-0 forfeit victory over Seton Hall, damaging their chances of making the tourney.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 12:32:39 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #567 on: December 17, 2021, 12:59:46 PM »
Any Big East team that has to forfeit due to COVID takes a loss. I'd imagine it's marked officially as a 2-0 loss, which is fine for teams that legitimately can't field a team (7 players minimum).

Seton Hall supposedly has at least 7 players to play, meaning they don't have to forfeit. But let's say for argument that they have only three players out with COVID but those players are Jared Rhoden, Alexis Yetna, and Tyrese Samuel. Seton Hall may decide it's better to take a 2-0 loss to SJU than play them without three of their best players and possibly get blown out. Chances are the committee won't punish teams with COVID issues too harshly, but they will punish a team that gets blown out by a middle of the pack conference team. It helps Seton Hall but hurts St. John's because I doubt the committee would reward them at all for a 2-0 forfeit victory over Seton Hall, damaging their chances of making the tourney.

It damages their chances of making the tourney only if you assume they would have won that game and needed that win as part of their body of work.  If you assume they would have lost, it probably helps them marginally (slightly better W/L percentage, lack of a loss in the NET, slightly better BEt seed, etc.).

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #568 on: December 17, 2021, 01:43:29 PM »
It damages their chances of making the tourney only if you assume they would have won that game and needed that win as part of their body of work.  If you assume they would have lost, it probably helps them marginally (slightly better W/L percentage, lack of a loss in the NET, slightly better BEt seed, etc.).

Sure...but the only time that I expect a team to forfeit when they don't need to, is when they expect that they are going to get blown out because they are missing key players.
TAMU

fjm

• All American
« Reply #569 on: December 17, 2021, 01:53:20 PM »

That crap is so fuked.

BEast needs to address that. Otherwise Shaka is silly to not take a covid loss to nova and at UConn.

• All American
« Reply #570 on: December 17, 2021, 01:55:12 PM »
I am sure Fox isn't pleased that two programs in the NYC area won't be playing a scheduled game.  The BE should step in to provide stricter guidelines.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #571 on: December 17, 2021, 02:08:22 PM »
—As outlined in Big East policy, the 16th-ranked Pirates (9-1) will suffer a forfeit loss and St. John's gains a forfeit win that will impact the conference standings and Big East Tournament seeding only. For NCAA purposes, the result for both Seton Hall and St. John's will be "no contests," meaning it will not appear on either program's overall record, nor will it impact the NET ranking or NCAA Tournament consideration  — beyond the intangible impact of missed opportunities. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #572 on: December 17, 2021, 02:09:39 PM »
I am sure Fox isn't pleased that two programs in the NYC area won't be playing a scheduled game.  The BE should step in to provide stricter guidelines.

I don't think it's officially cancelled yet. Just Billy's info?  Or did I miss something?

Edit: Oh just found this.  Also "sources", no BE statement yet:
https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2021/12/17/seton-hall-basketballs-big-east-opener-vs-st-johns-cancelled-due-covid/8942337002/
« Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 02:12:58 PM by rocky_warrior »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #573 on: December 17, 2021, 02:11:43 PM »
I don't think it's officially cancelled yet. Just Billy's info?  Or did I miss something?

Jerry Carino reported it as cancelled
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #574 on: December 17, 2021, 02:34:57 PM »
https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/status/1471933391834599428
Zach Braziller
@NYPost_Brazille
An official announcement from the Big East is coming later today on St. John's-Seton Hall forfeit. Source said nothing has been decided on Thursday's DePaul-Seton Hall game. Both programs have COVID-19 issues. #sjubb #shbb #bigeasthoops